The Jungle Book (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Re: Disney's live-action Jungle Book

Post by Musical Master »

Disney Duster wrote:
Musical Master wrote: they're worth talking about and debating their merits.
Hey, Cinderella and The Jungle Book are worth talking about and debating their merits!
After I saw The Jungle Book yesterday I think both it and Cinderella are indeed worth debating but at the same time I felt that at least with Alice in Wonderland and Maleficent are the kinds of films that the filmmakers can go bonkers and do whatever they wanted by changing story and character dynamics that it feels like it's a different monster altogether that it becomes something extremely divisive with people. With Cinderella and The Jungle Book it feels like they want to be debated over, but something holds them back which to me feels like they don't get debated over much with the exception of some people; but speaking of the latter, I did like it better than Cinderella but after it was over, I thought it was completely overrated and didn't get where the praise to the high heavens came from.

It was good don't get me wrong, but I just didn't love it like everyone did. In the end I guess both it and Cinderella are good but not all that interesting to me.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
HarryCanyon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by HarryCanyon »

Surprisingly good and well done live-action version of a classic done by a fanboy of the original.

Nice effects and just a good time, this proves some live-action versions of Disney films don't always suck.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Musical Master wrote:
Disney Duster wrote: Hey, Cinderella and The Jungle Book are worth talking about and debating their merits!
After I saw The Jungle Book yesterday I think both it and Cinderella are indeed worth debating but at the same time I felt that at least with Alice in Wonderland and Maleficent are the kinds of films that the filmmakers can go bonkers and do whatever they wanted by changing story and character dynamics that it feels like it's a different monster altogether that it becomes something extremely divisive with people. With Cinderella and The Jungle Book it feels like they want to be debated over, but something holds them back which to me feels like they don't get debated over much with the exception of some people; but speaking of the latter, I did like it better than Cinderella but after it was over, I thought it was completely overrated and didn't get where the praise to the high heavens came from.

It was good don't get me wrong, but I just didn't love it like everyone did. In the end I guess both it and Cinderella are good but not all that interesting to me.
I see. Well, I feel like all of the films, Alice, Maleficent, Cinderella, The Jungle Book, are different enough from their source material to discuss, but I get why you feel there isn't as much new to discuss with the latter two. But in my opinion, I disagree and think they can all be discussed extensively.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

I guess it's to each their own I suppose. But I'm very glad that you really liked the movies. :)
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

Is Beauty and the Beast live action film still going forward? Cause I've not heard a a peep out of it since the casting news.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

WarriorDreamer wrote:Is Beauty and the Beast live action film still going forward? Cause I've not heard a a peep out of it since the casting news.
Yes, it's currently in post production right now and we may actually get a teaser trailer for it when Alice Through The Looking Glass comes out on the 27th.
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

Musical Master wrote:
WarriorDreamer wrote:Is Beauty and the Beast live action film still going forward? Cause I've not heard a a peep out of it since the casting news.
Yes, it's currently in post production right now and we may actually get a teaser trailer for it when Alice Through The Looking Glass comes out on the 27th.
Thats hopeful. We've yet to even get a still!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

The official press release has been revealed;
http://animatedviews.com/2016/68431/

At least we're getting an Audio Commentary for this. That's unusal for Disney nowadays :P
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

The official press release has been revealed;
http://animatedviews.com/2016/68431/

At least we're getting an Audio Commentary for this. Something new for Disney :P
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

I saw this last night and absolutely loved it! I found it to be much better than the original. The original is very good, but this one had a much more of a plot and very developed characters. I just love that the main plot circled around the wolf father's death by Shere Khan and Mowgili stays to avenge him The boy who is Mowgili isn't the best actor, but he was so cute! The cast was spot on. Scarlett Johanson was actually serviceable as Kaa, and Ben and Christopher were spot on as Bagherra and Louie. Bill is the best choice of Baloo. He captures the spirit that is very sweet and compassionate and caring, but also had a touch of Bill. I LOVED that they kept Bear Necessities and I Wanna Be Like You. But, man that kid can not sing :lol: And I found it so weird that the underscore for I Wanna Be Like You was NOTHING NOTHING like the song. I get that they wanted it to be more sinister, but man it felt like a different music score. Why couldn't they do the credits version?

I love that Mowgili stays. The movie deserves its ending, since it was so richly build up with Mowgili's smarts and compassion

My problems with the movie:

King Louie was a COOL COOL COOL villain. But, I don't know if I like it. In the original, Louie was selfish, but not straight up evil

I thought Shere Khan wasn't that interesting of a villain. In the original, the fear was naturally built because Khan was graceful and smooth and chill. Here, Shere Khan is feared, but he is really one-dimensional. Not really something to be feared off. But, he was cool at the climax.

Also, am I the only one who had a Lion King feel (The part when Mowgili is running from the stampede and Shere Khan is watching him) and Hunchback (Shere Khan falls into the fire)?
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

Why is the Blu-ray lacking so many bonus features?! Disney Movies Anywhere has more clips and features more than the actual Blu-ray itself lol. Makes no sense! :roll:
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Matt wrote:Why is the Blu-ray lacking so many bonus features?! Disney Movies Anywhere has more clips and features more than the actual Blu-ray itself lol. Makes no sense! :roll:
Really? Doesn't the actual blu ray have the full-lenght documentary and the Audio Commentary?
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Matt wrote:Why is the Blu-ray lacking so many bonus features?! Disney Movies Anywhere has more clips and features more than the actual Blu-ray itself lol. Makes no sense! :roll:
Really? Doesn't the actual blu ray have the full-lenght documentary and the Audio Commentary?
Yes, it's just so light on bonus features when there are plenty of bonus features surfing the Internet. It makes no sense. And surprisingly how well it did at the box office as well. I think this release should be filled with more features.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Matt wrote:Yes, it's just so light on bonus features when there are plenty of bonus features surfing the Internet. It makes no sense. And surprisingly how well it did at the box office as well. I think this release should be filled with more features.
OK. Could you tell me a little bit more about the featurettes on the Disney Movie Rewards site?
stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stevemcqueen »

3D Blu-ray arriving November 15th:

Pre-orders:
Best Buy
Target

Blu-ray.com
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

stevemcqueen wrote:3D Blu-ray arriving November 15th:

Pre-orders:
Best Buy
Target

Blu-ray.com
Guess Disney has been listening. ;)
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I saw this a week ago, but I sat on it for a while before writing an opinion about it. I liked it and can see how it was as big as it was.

I appreciated how serious the film was in comparison to the animated film, and I enjoyed all the characters here (and how they differed from the animated film, so this didn’t feel like a verbatim copy). I even liked Mowgli although I didn’t think I would at first. From the commercials, the child actor came across atrocious and I didn’t like him the first half hour, but he did a pretty good job overall after getting through the whole thing. Naturally I don’t like Bagheera or Shere Khan here as much as in the animated film, but they worked in a different way here. I liked how they showed Shere Khan interacting with the other animals throughout the film, exerting power over the wolves, etc. Lupita was fantastic as Raksha.

Well, tbh, I liked all the voice actors—some a little more than others, but they all did a great job. I remember there being a lot of discussion about Kaa and Johanssen, but I actually really loved that scene, especially how they used the snake’s eyes to transition into the flashback. And I thought the snake having a female voice was sort of a dark callback to Mowgli’s wolf-mother who he didn’t want to leave and who tried to keep him (lulling him in with “You can stay”—here inside my stomach, lol). The only real misstep was “I Wanna Be Like You.” Wow, was that awful. But Louie was very intimidating—actually I was surprised how intimidating they managed to make him considering Christopher Walken was his voice actor—I just don’t think the musical number worked is all. “Bare Necessities” was fine though.

Otherwise, it was a pretty great movie. I’m actually tempted to buy this one unlike the other live-action films so far. Although I might get Maleficent at some point if I find it at a cheap price. Anyway, I can understand how they could justify a sequel since Shere Khan’s death wasn’t made explicit, but I’m not sure what else they could do? Have Mowgli return to the human village finally? More interaction with the elephants? Maybe Mowgli will be closer to a teenager in the sequel and puberty is why he should return to the man village?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

They purposely didn't have Mowgli go to the man village so I'm guessing that would be the premise of the second film. It would be nice to meet Shanti. The animated Jungle Book had an alternate ending where Mowgli returns to the village and is adopted but is hated by a hunter named Buldeo. Buldeo forces him back into the jungle to find some treasure and Mowgli ends up tricking him into being eaten by Shere Khan.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Re: The Jungle Book (Live-Action)

Post by D82 »

Have you guys seen the trailer of the Warner Bros. adaptation of The Jungle Book? They said it was going to be darker and more realistic than the Disney film, so it surprised me that the animal characters looked more cartoonish than the ones from Disney.