Gigantic

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
2Disney4Ever
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Gigantic

Post by 2Disney4Ever »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Hear. An image every Disney Renaissance fan can't stand! The mere sight of this image disgust them!
You know what? It might be naive to say this, but I thought the Renaissance fans appreciated the Revival era well, considering the similarities. Though I could be wrong.
Well to me, this whole "Revival Era" of Disney people are talking about has been anything but a true revival of Disney animation. People are right about one thing, though. Princess and the Frog was the beginning of a revival because it was meant to revive hand-drawn animation, which also meant that it was reviving Disney animation and the very art of what Disney animation is supposed to be.

But at the same time the studio made the mistake of thinking they should still continue on with CG movies, as if they were really supposed to be doing them in the first place, and movies like Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph killed our hand-drawn revival just as soon as it started.

There is no "revival" of Disney animation here. Just a cruel, decaying death of it at the hands of CGI.

Love traditional Disney animation? Send your art to: http://2disney4ever.deviantart.com/
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

unprincess wrote:I would prefer something more like the Spain scenes in The Road to El Dorado. Now that was SPAIN!
Agreed.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
unprincess wrote:I would prefer something more like the Spain scenes in The Road to El Dorado. Now that was SPAIN!
Agreed.
And considering this is supposed to be 16th Century Spain, do you think the Spanish Inquisition might appear? Just think: Disney's first auto-de-fé since The Hunchback of Notre Dame!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt0Y39eMvpI[/youtube]
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

if I were Disney Id make the down on earth scenes in Spain as close to 16th century Spain as possible, but make the Giant kingdom the more colorful generic fairy-tale kingdom but still keeping the 16th century "Age of Exploration" motif...
Tkcito

Post by Tkcito »

At first, this movie didn't catch my attention. But now I am very curious to see how my favorite company portrays Spain! I think Disney can do something really wonderful and unique.

(I'm Spanish, so I'm so excited for this)

PD: and please, no more Inquisition... XDDD
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Hi Tkcito, and welcome to the DVDizzy forums! :wave:

I'm sure it will rock to see your country through the eyes of the many talented artists at Walt Disney Animation Studios. I'm still waiting for them to do a film on the Great Siege of Malta of 1565, but I don't think it's gonna happen. :P
NeverLand
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeverLand »

Yes, it is kind of fun to see your country/culture through Disney's eyes :up:

That's why Aladdin will always have a special place in my heart!

disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Welcome to the boards! :up: :up: :up:

I've been meaning to say, but I have been sick lately, that I am very happy with the changes to the movie.

I am glad that they remove a majority of the human characters. Having a Meet the Parents/Hunchback-like love triangle, a warrior girl, and the Marco guys potentially being the real villain would fill up the movie too much. The removals are very smart because now we can focus on what should be the focus of the movie: The giants. Focusing on the giants and the humans 50/50 would be very complicated. Even though I'm not totally crazy about it, I have warmed up to the giant, being a kid. I'm still interested in Imna and how she will lead the movie. The fact that the evil king of the Storm Giants is Imna's father is very exciting and this might be the main emotional piece of the movie: The father-daughter. I'm also very excited about that gypsy girl who gives Jack the seeds to the beanstalk and I hope gypsies are part of the movie, as well.

The last thing is I do agree with "My Little Man", not being the best number to introduce Gigantic with. This did turn me off from the movie, a little bit. Reading the lyrics, it does seem like this could be the movie's weak song and one of Disney's weakest if the soundtrack will be strong like Frozen's, Lion King's. I would have gone with Jack's "I Want" song (seeing that it's Disney), an opening number, or a duet with Jack and Imna.

By the way: They say that Jack tries to lead Imna home. Yet, in the storyboards to "My Little Man", it's clear that they're in her room. :?
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Welcome to the boards! :up: :up: :up:

I've been meaning to say, but I have been sick lately, that I am very happy with the changes to the movie.

I am glad that they removed a majority of the human characters. Having a Meet the Parents/Hunchback-like love triangle, a warrior girl, and the Marco guys potentially being the real villain would fill up the movie too much. The removals are very smart because now we can focus on what should be the focus of the movie: The giants. Focusing on the giants and the humans 50/50 would be very complicated. Even though I'm not totally crazy about it, I have warmed up to the giant, being a kid. I'm still interested in Imna and how she will lead the movie. The fact that the evil king of the Storm Giants is Imna's father is very exciting and this might be the main emotional piece of the movie: The father-daughter. I'm also very excited about that gypsy girl who gives Jack the seeds to the beanstalk and I hope gypsies are part of the movie, as well.

The last thing is I do agree with "My Little Man", not being the best number to introduce Gigantic with. This did turn me off from the movie, a little bit. Reading the lyrics, it does seem like this could be the movie's weak song and one of Disney's weakest if the soundtrack will be strong like Frozen's, Lion King's. I would have gone with Jack's "I Want" song (seeing that it's Disney), an opening number, or a duet with Jack and Imna.

By the way: They say that Jack tries to lead Imna home. Yet, in the storyboards to "My Little Man", it's clear that they're in her room. :?
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

We already have a voice of a Giant (Fatusus???). At 0:52

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeXCFIHhFwg[/youtube]
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

The Giant sounds like him
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Welcome to the boards! :up: :up: :up:

I am glad that they removed a majority of the human characters. Having a Meet the Parents/Hunchback-like love triangle, a warrior girl, and the Marco guys potentially being the real villain would fill up the movie too much. The removals are very smart because now we can focus on what should be the focus of the movie: The giants. Focusing on the giants and the humans 50/50 would be very complicated. Even though I'm not totally crazy about it, I have warmed up to the giant, being a kid. I'm still interested in Imna and how she will lead the movie. The fact that the evil king of the Storm Giants is Imna's father is very exciting and this might be the main emotional piece of the movie: The father-daughter. I'm also very excited about that gypsy girl who gives Jack the seeds to the beanstalk and I hope gypsies are part of the movie, as well.

I agree 100% with you. :)
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:He replaced Menken with Randy Newman for The Princess and the Frog.
Really? Was Menken supposed to do the music for "TPATF"? Call me naive, but I thought Newman was the only choice due to the research I did.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyFan09 wrote:Was Menken supposed to do the music for "TPATF"? Call me naive, but I thought Newman was the only choice due to the research I did.
Yep, Menken was supposed to do the music originally. It was stated in an official press release issued by Disney.
For Disney Theatrical Productions, he is currently in preproduction on the stage version of "The Little Mermaid." Menken is also developing a new animated musical, "The Frog Princess" for Walt Disney Feature Animation.
Source: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 87937.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:Yep, he was supposed to do the music originally. It was stated in an official press release issued by Disney.
Really? Then I'll guess I haven't done my research enough. I'll correct it in my blog.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Last edited by disneyprincess11 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

The Hollywood Reporter is erroneously reporting that Gigantic will be released on March 6th. Probably a typo in their hurry to publish the article. The date remains unchanged; the film's still planned for release on March 9th.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I don't understand why Disney would release a canon film of theirs in March, due to not being an event month. Though Disney have done it priorly anyway. And due to Disney's redemption, why couldn't they have a summer release for once? It's been a while since.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

In recent years, March actually has become a major event month, mainly due to spring break. That's why you now have studios releasing big movies like Alice in Wonderland, The Hunger Games, Cinderella, Divergent and Batman vs Superman in that month. So putting Gigantic in March is definitely not a knock against it.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Tkcito wrote:At first, this movie didn't catch my attention. But now I am very curious to see how my favorite company portrays Spain! I think Disney can do something really wonderful and unique.

(I'm Spanish, so I'm so excited for this)

PD: and please, no more Inquisition... XDDD
I know I’m a bit late, but welcome to the forum, Tkcito! :wave: It’s nice to see more Disney fans from Spain around here!

I haven’t commented in a long time, but I’ve kept following some of the threads.

It’s also exciting for me that they’re finally setting a film in my country. And, while I would have preferred a film about a Spanish tale or legend as their first animated film set here, like the abandoned Don Quixote project for example, this is also great. And, if the art direction is half as good as the art in those beautiful images from Aladdin that NeverLand posted, I’ll be more than pleased.

At first, I didn’t like the idea of them doing another version of Jack and the Beanstalk, when they already have the one with Mickey. So I was actually relieved every time the project was cancelled. But now, after having thought about it, I think the fairy tale deserves to have a full-length adaptation and it’s going to be very different from the Mickey version anyway. What I find odd is that the main character is still called Jack if he’s supposed to be Spanish. I hope they’ll realize that and change his name before the release.