Gigantic

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Nathan Greno's Giants

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think Mariah Carey as a villainess opposite Ariana would make more sense.

Maybe then they could have a plot twist 3/4 in where you find out the real villain of the movie is Nick Cannon.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

^^

:lol:
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

The friend of the source who announced the casting has said that Giants is indeed still scheduled to be out in 2016:
But as far as I know Giants is still on track and Moana’s probably doing fine but he’s told me he switched over to another project (I think it was Jennifer Lee’s Wrinkle in Time?) but because they are considering making it live action he’s considering moving back to Moana. Of course there was always that possible he was a fake =P
Hmmmm....something smells really fishy here. The guy who leaked the story keeps on saying that Giants is 2018, but yet the Lopezes and this mysterious source are hinting/saying that Giants is coming out in 2016 :|
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

I'm obviously over analyzing this, but something odd caught my eye while I'm looking at this official chart that Disney just released (It's huge, so it wouldn't load):

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/chart-sho ... 00548.html

It confirms that WDAS is indeed having something in March. But, yet Zootopia was confirmed last year and it's "Untitled". Common mistake or is Giants going to be that March now? In fact, why isn’t there anything announced for WDAS in November 2016? O_O It could be further evidence that it's now going to be 2017/2018 :/
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:GIANTS IS STILL COMING IN 2016!!!!

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 8110_o.jpg
Wonderful! :D
Prince Kido
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Prince Kido »

I'm sorry, but from what I know, this planning is old, so not true.
Only believe what's Disney Animations Studios officially release. ;)
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Prince Kido wrote:I'm sorry, but from what I know, this planning is old, so not true.
Only believe what's Disney Animations Studios officially release. ;)
Do you know if Giants is still 2016? You can't say, right?
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Uh oh. Looks like that guy was right. What's worse is that we may have another Frozen. :huh:
Another thing I wanted to clear up was about Giants. I did mention that they’re in voiceover casting at the moment, and that is true. However, this doesn’t mean you should expect the movie to arrive on the original November 2016 date. In honesty, Giants has been shaky. The story is there, and it has great heart, but it just isn’t clicking. Voice casting can be made many years before release, depending on who is at the helm. At this point, a variety of things could happen. Moana could come out before Giants, or Giants before Moana. We’re talking a release from anything between 2016 and 2018.
http://elsaofarendelle.tumblr.com/post/ ... -this-time
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Uh oh. Looks like that guy was right. What's worse is that we may have another Frozen. :huh:
Another thing I wanted to clear up was about Giants. I did mention that they’re in voiceover casting at the moment, and that is true. However, this doesn’t mean you should expect the movie to arrive on the original November 2016 date. In honesty, Giants has been shaky. The story is there, and it has great heart, but it just isn’t clicking. Voice casting can be made many years before release, depending on who is at the helm. At this point, a variety of things could happen. Moana could come out before Giants, or Giants before Moana. We’re talking a release from anything between 2016 and 2018.
http://elsaofarendelle.tumblr.com/post/ ... -this-time
Well, At least Zootopia is doing very well :roll:
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I really hope "just isnt clicking" doesnt mean "the story is fine but not appealing enough to kids so we're going to restructure it so it follows the Tangled/Frozen template." :|
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Uh oh. Looks like that guy was right. What's worse is that we may have another Frozen. :huh:
Pardon my ignorant question, but what's bad about having "another Frozen"?
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

I'm not exactly sure what Disneyprincess meant, but Frozen just "wasn't clicking" during production either. That was before they made Elsa a good character late into development rather than a villain like in the original plans. Most recent Disney movies just "weren't clicking" during production. Tangled completely did a 180 story-wise going from an Enchanted-like comedy to a traditional fairy tale and discarding the original "moving painting" concept. Wreck-it Ralph had multiple story changes as well in production. Its normal for writers to change and tighten stories. Nothing is concrete during the screenwriting process, and Giants is given plenty of time to smooth bumps out (especially if Moana's story is more complete and therefore that is put into production and released first).
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Yeah, that's what I meant: Giants is having the same problems that Frozen is having, thus it could take like 80 years for them to do Giants. The fact that Moana, a 2018 film, may be released before Giants worries me. And it's weird because around this time last year, Giants was pushed up in production for doing wonderfully. Also, in the Bleeding Cool synopsis, it sounded like they got the story figured out, so I wondered what was the breaking point.

All I really want is an official announcement next year at the Expo for both Giants and Moana. Really, Disney can't just leave us with only one film out of the 4 at the Expo. That will be absurd since Zootopia will only be 8-9 months and then with no other WDAS announcement....what will happen the year after? Or 2? If Giants is 2018, fine: Just announce it or confirm that " a project got shelved". I'm sick and tired of Disney hiding every single movie while at Dreamworks and Blue Sky, the very second, movies get green lighted, it gets announced.

Finally, if they're starting casting now and the movie is going to be 2017/2018, it's obvious that some of the cast members will leave. I wonder who will stay and who will go. From what I can tell, Josh Gad was the only Frozen cast member who stayed since 2009.

And also, would anyone be surprised if a Wrinkle in Time becomes animated if Giants get canned to fill the void?
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I just meant that I always wonder what movies we'd end up with if their primary goal wasnt to ensure that these animated films appeal to a certain demo. I think alot of times these movies start out a certain way(they might have story problems or not) and then the execs come in and say, we need more cuddly child friendly characters, this scene is too dark, this scene is boring and will make kids fidget, this character is too old, this sequence is to complex...etc.. I wonder hpw that kind of tampering ends of affeting the final product.

After Frozen I kept wondering why was so much time spent on Olaf when we should have gotten more scenes of Hans or Kristoff who were underdeveloped. Maybe the Frozen prior to clicking would have been a better film in that regard...we dont know of course but i dont assume that the previous version of a story was a trainwreck just b/c someone at Disney said it was.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Well, with Moana taking its spot for November 2016, looks like Giants got shelved or got pushed to 2017 or 2018.
Mach Full Force
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mach Full Force »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Well, with Moana taking its spot for November 2016, looks like Giants got shelved or got pushed to 2017 or 2018.

I officially hate Moana now. (And I wasn't particularly excited for it before either.)
"Maybe you live in a golden cage, but a golden cage is still a cage."
~Juan Carlos Bodoque, 31 Minutos: La Película
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Well, guys, I am confused as heck. (READ THE WHOLE POST)

According to the insider:
On a sad note, Giants has been put to rest. Don’t give up hope just yet, though. Moana was in a similar state last year when this whole flurry of fandom began, and that flurry saved it. (And then some, two whole years early!) Be loud, and you will be heard.
http://moanaswaialiki.tumblr.com/post/1 ... t-post-for

First, this guy said that all of these fan arts influenced the final design.
Second, if Moana was in trouble last year, wouldn't we know about that? And I highly doubt that the Moana fandom secretly saved the movie.
Third, I asked the owner of the blog and she said that Giants is still happening in 2018 and she doesn't know why he/she said that.

Sooooooooooo....I'm lost.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

It looks like Lasseter announced Giants during the presentation he gave about WDAS & Pixar's upcoming slate in Korea.
The executive continues his tour across mainland China, Hong Kong and Japan to promote Disney's Zootopia, Moana and Giants and Pixar's Inside Out, The Good Dinosaur and Finding Dory.
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/j ... has-742447
For the Walt Disney Animation Studios slate Lasseter confirmed release dates of Jan 2015 for “Big Hero 6,” which premieres later this week as the opening film of the Tokyo International Film Festival; 2016 for “Zootopia”; and slots thereafter for “Moana” and “Giants,” both of which are currently in production.
Source: http://variety.com/2014/film/news/john- ... 201335172/

A Korean news outlet even claimed that Giants will be released in 2016. Something's not right here. There's no way Disney would release three WDAS films in a single year.
Following up on the success of “Frozen,” Walt Disney unveiled its plans for more animated flicks based on creative interpretations of fairy tales. Four films on the list are “Big Hero 6” (2015); “Zootopia” (2016), a talking animal film; “Moana” (2016), about Disney’s first Polynesian princess; and “Giants” (2016).
Source: http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20141021000984
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

It was a error. From the first link:
Oct. 21, 10:28 p.m. A previous version of this story included Disney's upcoming Giants in the presentation. The film had been reported to be part of the lineup showcase, according to Sony Pictures Releasing Walt Disney Studios Korea, but was excluded. THR regrets the error.