Gigantic

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Gigantic

Post by JeanGreyForever »

unprincess wrote:ugh nooo! I was so looking forward to this one.

I hope they aren't giving up on adapting fairy tales or making original fairy tale/folktale type films(like Moana). They seem to be the more profitable films for them anyway as far as long term prospects. Look how many years its been since Tangled and it still makes money for them thanks to the new tv show.
I wouldn't say that exactly. After all Big Hero 6 will be getting a TV show as well, and honestly those aren't as profitable in the long run as actual sequels. For a few years these shows have their run, and then they're generally forgotten afterwards which Disney doesn't usually help but not releasing the complete series. If Tangled really had "long term" prospects, then it would be getting a sequel like Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph, and probably Zootopia.

Moana is a fairy tale-type of film but the film did on par with Big Hero 6 and the merchandise was said to not do well at all, which is certainly evident in my Disney Store (even her limited dolls are still available in the Disney Store. The really popular princesses like the first six plus Rapunzel and the Frozen sisters sell out almost immediately but all the remaining "ethnic" princesses usually remain available for months.) Then there's Zootopia which was a Frozen type hit box-office wise but that isn't a fairy tale. So I wouldn't assume that fairy tale films automatically do better either box office wise or because of merchandise.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

*Sighs*. What a complete bummer, but ultimately not that surprising. I was looking forward to this movie for aforementioned reasons (also due to it being the only original project for WDAS for a while), so it's a huge pity that it's been scrapped.
Sotiris wrote:It's so unusual for them to announce that a movie is getting shelved and even release a statement about it.
Indeed it is. And contradicting.
They just needed to make it into a more traditional male-led epic adventure like Aladdin and scrap the idea of a child giantess.
Agreed. Their initial treatment was more intriguing and could've possibly been a throwback to what Disney did on the Renaissance era. Since we're not in that era anymore, I miss when Disney animated featured could've use that was their formula back then and still have it be equally about a male protagonist. Though of course this Revival era has widened their horizons, the only films that followed the musical-formula has been the features about Princesses. And yes, I'll also count Moana in, despite that she's supposedly one, haha rotfl.
So WDAS have basically nothing except sequels now. Yay John Lasseter..
Sighs. Word. Couldn't have said it better myself.
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

DisneyFan09 wrote:*Sighs*. What a complete bummer, but ultimately not that surprising. I was looking forward to this movie for aforementioned reasons (also due to it being the only original project for WDAS for a while), so it's a huge pity that it's been scrapped.
Sotiris wrote:It's so unusual for them to announce that a movie is getting shelved and even release a statement about it.
Indeed it is. And contradicting.
They just needed to make it into a more traditional male-led epic adventure like Aladdin and scrap the idea of a child giantess.
Agreed. Their initial treatment was more intriguing and could've possibly been a throwback to what Disney did on the Renaissance era. Since we're not in that era anymore, I miss when Disney animated featured could've use that was their formula back then and still have it be equally about a male protagonist. Though of course this Revival era has widened their horizons, the only films that followed the musical-formula has been the features about Princesses. And yes, I'll also count Moana in, despite that she's supposedly one, haha rotfl.
So WDAS have basically nothing except sequels now. Yay John Lasseter..
Sighs. Word. Couldn't have said it better myself.
I think people are praising the original concept too much, and from what I've seen it's been a juggle between the love triangle and the giant plot. Also the original storyline really has too much characters to jumble to really flesh them out. I have to say the other idea had big problems of it's own. It really features some problems that were seen during the Renaissance as well.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Well it finally happened. WDAS has now sold itself out to be a piss-poor version of Illumination/DreamWorks. Their heart was just never in to Gigantic, or anything original for that matter. Like Grace Randolph said in her new video today, there just isn't any leadership at WDAS, it's just a puppet studio while Pixar is the MAIN studio. Lasseter/Catmull couldn't care less about WDAS if it comes at the expense of Pixar. How else do you explain 3 features in a 12 month span from Pixar: Cars 3/Coco & The Incredibles 2 & nothing from WDAS for 2 whole years. WDAS will have a huge hit with Frozen 2, but that's 2 years away from now, as we know with WDAS, things can change on a dime. As for WiR2, it will be lucky to do Brave/Tangled numbers worldwide, but that film is just being used as a platform for the Princess/Star Wars properties. As for Pixar's obsession with sequels, well they better hope Incredibles 2/Toy Story 4 preform well considering the embarrassment they had last summer :lol:
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

What does a cancelled movie have to do with a World Showcase place? Sucks about the ride though

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp3sVPS7j2U[/youtube]
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

disneyprincess11 wrote:What does a cancelled movie have to do with a World Showcase place? Sucks about the ride though

Any WiR rides announced? Yeah, didn't think so :D
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Yea, JeanGreyForever, I agree on Cinderella. I thought you didn't like Tangled because you didn't like how it wasn't as good a story and as dark and well-designed as the Glen Keane version. I must have forgot you didn't like any of the characters or songs. I like the songs and characters and story, but would have preferred the Glean Keane treatment. Oh well.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Yea, JeanGreyForever, I agree on Cinderella. I thought you didn't like Tangled because you didn't like how it wasn't as good a story and as dark and well-designed as the Glen Keane version. I must have forgot you didn't like any of the characters or songs. I like the songs and characters and story, but would have preferred the Glean Keane treatment. Oh well.
I definitely don't liked Tangled for those reasons either, but I've said that a few times on here so I didn't want to repeat myself. Also I didn't want to compare the movie to what could have been which is why I just talked about what I didn't like in the final product which is most everything.
ImageImage
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Looks like WDAS & Blue Sky have switched places: WDAS is now all about sequels while Blue Sky is working on original content "2019's Spies in Disuse". Never thought I'd see the day :|
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Ice Age 5 saw a major drop in attendance from the fourth film (though it was still wildly profitable), the Rio films are Carlos Saldanha's babies and I imagine he has a say over the possibility of a third film, the Schulzes have said they only intended to make the one Peanuts Movie and Audrey Geisel is now partnered up with Illumination, so Horton Hatches an Egg is possibly a long-shot. That certainly puts Blue Sky in a unique position among the big animation studios. As a huge fan of their work, it's great we'll be seeing a whole batch of non-sequel projects, all of which sound quite special. Can't wait! :)
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

DisneyEra wrote:Looks like WDAS & Blue Sky have switched places: WDAS is now all about sequels while Blue Sky is working on original content "2019's Spies in Disuse". Never thought I'd see the day :|
The thing is Blues Sky has had hits and misses. So, will their content be any good.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

DisneyEra wrote:Any WiR rides announced? Yeah, didn't think so :D
There's one that is rumored to take place the Stitch ride that's now a meet and greet.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney Duster wrote:I thought you didn't like Tangled because you didn't like how it wasn't as good a story and as dark and well-designed as the Glen Keane version. I must have forgot you didn't like any of the characters or songs. I like the songs and characters and story, but would have preferred the Glean Keane treatment. Oh well.
I've would've preferred Glen Keane's treatment as well, but mainly because of the music. I doubt the music would've been as generic as it was with his vision (sorry if it seems condescending, but that's how I see it). But I know I'm repeating myself.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:I thought you didn't like Tangled because you didn't like how it wasn't as good a story and as dark and well-designed as the Glen Keane version. I must have forgot you didn't like any of the characters or songs. I like the songs and characters and story, but would have preferred the Glean Keane treatment. Oh well.
I've would've preferred Glen Keane's treatment as well, but mainly because of the music. I doubt the music would've been as generic as it was with his vision (sorry if it seems condescending, but that's how I see it). But I know I'm repeating myself.
I am curious about the music as well. I've heard conflicting reports, some saying that the film was never mean to have any songs, while others said that there would be songs but it wouldn't be a full-fledged musical. I think more in the style of some of the earlier Disney films. I know Jeanine Tesori was supposed to do the music at one point before she was removed and I think Menken came in at that point. I have never liked Menken's collaborations with Glen Slater, so I'd rather Menken have teamed up with basically anyone else.
ImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

The only thing that would 100% convince me going to the next Expo is if WDAS and Pixar did a panel on King Of the Elves, Newt, & Gigantic and tell us what happened to the movies and what the movies would have been like. Would be the perfect time since they announced Gigantic in the 2015 expo.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

disneyprincess11 wrote:What does a cancelled movie have to do with a World Showcase place? Sucks about the ride though

This sounds crazy but it eerily feels like anti-Spain sentiment...Is this Disney's way of speaking out about the Catalunia stuff of the last weeks? Lord.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Nathan Greno changed agencies soon after the cancellation of Gigantic. Could this be an indication he's leaving the studio?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Ouch. So, if you are right, my big guess for "Gigantic" is it was Nathan & his vision vs. the creative executives taking over the project.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Not surprised. I knew that once the Pixar honchos cancelled Gigantic in favor of sequels Greno was out. When you work for Pixar/WDAS it's like selling you soul to the devil. After the Gigantic fiasco why would he ever want to work there again. Wish him well :(
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

With all these canceled productions and a pipeline full of sequels this current era is looking like a copy of the late 90s early 00s.

Can WDAS ever keep its act together? Oh and obviously Lasseter needs to go.