Upcoming WDAS and Pixar release dates

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Upcoming WDAS and Pixar release dates

Post by Sotiris »

A little shuffling of Pixar's release schedule. Here's the current slate for Pixar.

Finding Dory: June 17, 2016
Cars 3: June 16, 2017
Coco: November 22, 2017
Toy Story 4: June 15, 2018
The Incredibles 2: June 21, 2019
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

You beat me to it!

I can wait for Toy Story 4, but uggggghhhh why Cars 3 in 2017?! I hate for waiting Incredibles 2 until 2019 :(
maxxie03

Post by maxxie03 »

Couldn't care less for Cars 3 and Toy Story 4
Last edited by maxxie03 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Zootopia: March 4, 2016
Finding Dory: June 17, 2016
Moana: November 26, 2016
Cars 3: June 16, 2017
Coco: November 22, 2017
Gigantic: March 6, 2018
Toy Story 4: June 15, 2018
Untitled DISNEYTOONS STUDIOS movie: April 12, 2019
The Incredibles 2: June 21, 2019
Possible WDAS movie: November 27, 2019
Untitled Pixar Movie: March 13, 2020
Untitled Pixar Movie: June 19, 2020
Untitled WDAS movie: November 25, 2020

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/c ... get-830474
https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/status ... 5404250112
Last edited by disneyprincess11 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

maxxie03 wrote:Could not care less for either Cars 3 or Toy Story 4
I couldn't care less about any Pixar movie, to be honest. :lol: I'm mildly interested about Coco but that's about it.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

I don't give a fudge about Cars 3 or Toy Story 4 (a tiny bit b/c of Bo Peep). Just Incredibles 2, Coco, and Finding Dory.

The person who does the scheduling for WDAS movie needs to be fired. Waiting from March 2018 to November 2020 is a LONG stretch (Screw the Disney remake who is taking Disney Animation’s November 2018 slot).

The Disney Toons Studios better not be another Planes or Tinker Bell movie. It sounds like it's huge, based on the fact that it took ANOTHER WDAS spot. Me thinks it could actually be Frozen 2 or Wreck-It Ralph 2. They possibly can't drag Frozen 2 that long. I can't picture WIR 2 come out that long either. After all, it just got back into development.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Gigantic: March 6, 2018
Untitled WDAS movie: November 21, 2020
Gigantic is being released on March 9th (the article's error) and the Untitled WDAS Film on November 25th (your error). :wink:
disneyprincess11 wrote:The Disney Toons Studios better not be another Planes or Tinker Bell movie.
It may be another Planes film (the third one went back into development in 2013) but I highly doubt that because Planes 2 under-performed at the box office and caused layoffs at the studio. It's definitely not another Tinker Bell film as they've stopped producing them and cancelled the 2 movies that were in development. Not to mention that this is a theatrical release we're talking about and a Tinker Bell film never received a wide theatrical release in the U.S.
disneyprincess11 wrote:It sounds like it's huge, based on the fact that it took ANOTHER WDAS spot. Me thinks it could actually be Frozen 2 or Wreck-It Ralph 2. They possibly can't drag Frozen 2 that long. I can't picture WIR 2 come out that long either. After all, it just got back into development.
Why do you think DisneyToons would be doing a direct sequel to a WDAS film? They don't do that anymore. They do spin-offs now. Besides both Frozen 2 and WIR 2 have been confirmed to be a WDAS production.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote: I couldn't care less about any Pixar movie, to be honest. :lol: I'm mildly interested about Coco but that's about it.
With Pixar, I'll end up seeing everything eventually on TV or Netflix. I have lukewarm interest in seeing FD/TS4. The only one I'm on my seat for is TI2, but of course that's forever away.

I hope Moana is huge; it'll have to be next to the Finding Dory cashcow, unfortunately.

And, I repeat, DisneyToon Studios would never be allowed to touch Frozen 2. WIR2, maybe. I just don't believe Lasseter would let them be involved considering how overly protective he's been of Frozen, sorry.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

there's sure gonna be a long wait for Frozen 2. Too long I think.
azul017
Special Edition

Post by azul017 »

unprincess wrote:there's sure gonna be a long wait for Frozen 2. Too long I think.
I don't think it's going to be a 7 year gap. One of the co-directors, Chris Buck, implied that they've figured out the ending for Frozen 2 and that they're figuring the story to build up to that. I imagine the schedule will be less rushed than the first film, which took a little less than two years after Buck and Jennifer Lee came onboard.

Release dates are subject to change. So when Frozen 2 begins production in earnest and Disney feels they can make it earlier, they will move dates around. I wouldn't be surprised if they move Frozen 2 in one of their "Untitled Live-Action Fairy Tale" slots, like December 2017 or November 2018.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

The November 28, 2018 seems to be still on for WDAS

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/animati ... -wizards-2
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

If Disney are smart, then they will release Frozen 2 as soon as possible.

I have little to no interest in all those Pixar sequels. Funny how Lasseter always keeps talking about how "story" is so special to Pixar, that they would never make sequels if they story was not right. Really? Cars 3 and Toy Story 4? Turns out even Pixar really want to make movies to make money after all;) Seems to me that Pixar went downhill as soon as they had made movies out of all the original ideas they have pitched around the making of the very first Toy Story movie. Now it's mostly sequels to their original movies it seems.

As for Walt Disney Animation Studios' movies of late: I loved Tangled and Frozen, even though I find their titles to be stupid and would have prefered them in traditionally animated 2D (the story in Frozen could have been more focused on characters like Elsa and Hans and dropped that stupid troll plot, but whatever. I hope that Frozen 2 gives us more Elsa and Hans.) Wreck-It-Ralph and Big Hero 6? Meh. I like the movies from Disney when they are based on fairytales, legends, mythology, literature, classical stories. Like they were in the Disney reneissance, from The Little Mermaid to Tarzan. When I watch a Disney movie about talking animals, video games or super heroes, all set in the modern day World, it really feels like something every animaton company could have done. It does not feel timeless and classical to me. I do not get the Disney feeling.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Disney's Divinity

I definitely prefer films based on fairytales/books/etc. and musicals, but I don't mind talking animal films like L&tT, TLK, Dalmatians and so on. I didn't mind WIR, but I agree that BH6 feels like it could've been made by any company. Zootopia looks...cute, but I'm guessing it'll be closer to BH6.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It looks like one of the two Pixar movies in 2020 will be directed by a woman. It will probably be Marti Noxon.
Q: Do you think Pixar will have a solo female director in the next five years?

Ed Catmull: Yeah. I do.
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... ood-840292
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Let's hope she won't suffer the same fate of Brenda Chapman.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Jim Morris Pixar president: “We’re now trying to [do] three movies every two years. The idea is to make an original film every year and a sequel every other year.
Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/what-to ... toy-story/

Disney's Divinity

I think they got that backwards.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Sotiris wrote:
Jim Morris Pixar president: “We’re now trying to [do] three movies every two years. The idea is to make an original film every year and a sequel every other year.
Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/what-to ... toy-story/

I have to agree with this, on a business scale:

June 2016- Finding Dory/Ice Age Collision Course
June 2017- Cars 3/Despicable Me 3
June 2018- Toy Story 4/How to train your Dragon 3

This is ALL about brand/box office domination! At least WDAS is still doing originals features for the rest of this decade.
Disney's Divinity

Yeah, that makes more sense pitted against each other that way. At moments I forget that all Disney really cares about is business; I'm sure they'd enjoy it if all the other studios went out of business. Of course, I don't really care that much about any of those three studios. Laika and Studio Ghibli are the only studios I really pay attention to anymore (and who knows how much longer the latter will be around).

I will say they are good at branding. All the logos lined up there are very visually appealing.
disneyphilip
Special Edition

Post by disneyphilip »

Prince Edward wrote:If Disney are smart, then they will release Frozen 2 as soon as possible.

I have little to no interest in all those Pixar sequels. Funny how Lasseter always keeps talking about how "story" is so special to Pixar, that they would never make sequels if they story was not right. Really? Cars 3 and Toy Story 4? Turns out even Pixar really want to make movies to make money after all;) Seems to me that Pixar went downhill as soon as they had made movies out of all the original ideas they have pitched around the making of the very first Toy Story movie. Now it's mostly sequels to their original movies it seems.

As for Walt Disney Animation Studios' movies of late: I loved Tangled and Frozen, even though I find their titles to be stupid and would have prefered them in traditionally animated 2D (the story in Frozen could have been more focused on characters like Elsa and Hans and dropped that stupid troll plot, but whatever. I hope that Frozen 2 gives us more Elsa and Hans.) Wreck-It-Ralph and Big Hero 6? Meh. I like the movies from Disney when they are based on fairytales, legends, mythology, literature, classical stories. Like they were in the Disney reneissance, from The Little Mermaid to Tarzan. When I watch a Disney movie about talking animals, video games or super heroes, all set in the modern day World, it really feels like something every animaton company could have done. It does not feel timeless and classical to me. I do not get the Disney feeling.
What you just said here is not only incredibly stupid and wrong, but also discriminatory and just like racism. :angry: