Tangled (& Tangled Ever After) Discussion: Part VII

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Re: Tangled (& Tangled Ever After) Discussion: Part VII

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Exclusive: why Disney never made Tangled 2
Disney was indeed looking into making Tangled 2, its producer confirms. But there's a simple reason why it never happened...

This story contains a spoiler for Tangled.

For the past few years, as Walt Disney Animation Studios has continued its remarkable run of recent success, rumours of sequels to its films have gathered momentum.

The last 'official' sequel Disney made to one of its classic line of animated features was The Rescuers Down Under, that was released way back in 1990. Of course, there's the dozens of mainly straight to DVD sequels that infected stores throughout the 1990s and 2000s, but they were the work of a separate part of Disney.

However, we keep hearing word of Wreck-It Ralph 2 and Frozen 2, both of which are believed to be in development. And once upon a time, there was chat of a follow-up to Walt Disney Animation Studio's 50th animated feature, 2010's Tangled.

And now we've found out the simple reason why it didn't happen.

We chatted to Tangled's producer, Roy Conli, for the release of his new film, Big Hero 6. And he confirmed that Tangled 2 was something that Disney was actively investigating (and indeed that conversations about sequels are coming up at Disney).

"There was a desire to somehow take it into a filmic sequel", he admitted of Tangled. So why did it stumble? It come down to the fact that directors Nathan Greno and Byron Howard ultimately "weren't really interested" in following up the story. Plus, as Conli pointed out, "her hair was gone!"

So there you have it. Not a complicated story, but rare confirmation that Disney was indeed working on an official sequel to one of its animated hits.

Our full interview with Conli is here, and Big Hero 6 is now in cinemas. Rumours of a sequel to that one have started already...

Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/tangled ... z3QPVLB5VW
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

That doesn't surprise me. The fact is that fairy tales normally don't lend themselves well to receiving sequels, especially if characters go through extreme transformations, such as with Rapunzel and her hair. Of course, if the management of ten years ago were still in charge, I'm sure we would have got some direct-to-video sequels to Tangled. After all, films which seemed to have a completely closed ending such as The Little Mermaid had sequels and prequels, and there was also the midquel (as with Beauty and the Beast, a story with an even more drastic transformation).
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Behind the scenes of “Tangled: The Musical”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Evqg_byB4
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

The new songs in the musical are "Wanted Man", "When She Returns", and the opening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhuU2OZW3EE
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I loved that !! Only wish the Disney emoji were real :(
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

I didn't know this. I'm surprised Disney still uses reference models for their animated films. Did they continue doing this post-Tangled as well?
Alison Woods has also performed in various projects for Disney, and most recently lent her dancing, movement, and mannerisms to Walt Disney Pictures as the animation reference for Rapunzel in the animated feature film “Tangled”.
Source: http://bendintheroadmusical.com/2012/09 ... son-woods/

Menken and Slater wanted Tangled to have more songs than it ended up having.
Legendary composer Alan Menken and lyricist Glenn Slater have always wanted to write more songs for “Tangled.” Alan and Glenn wished they had written more music for the animated film, so they were thrilled with the opportunity to come back to “Tangled” and write a new opening number, a song for Flynn Rider and lyrics for the festival scene.
Source: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2 ... e-musical/

Also, it appears that the directors of Tangled didn't go easy on Menken.
Q: Alan Menken had a lovely quote about you, Byron, after working on Tangled…

Byron Howard: [Laughs] Oh boy…

Q: I remember interviewing you for Tangled, and said to you at the time that it seemed much of your job on that film was to say no to Disney royalty.

Byron Howard: Oh right, right!

Q: Alan Menken – and he did it light-heartedly – apparently watched you at work with some of the animators, and said to you and your then co-director Nathan Greno that you actually beat up everybody, not just him.

Byron Howard: [Laughs] It’s true! [Looks a bit relieved]
Source: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/zootrop ... -interview
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

Well, the musical premiered on the cruise and Disney was thoughtful enough to livestream one of the new (?) Alan Menken songs that replaces the movie's Kingdom Dance.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz8xtX5HqI4[/youtube]

Personally, this is an example of why I never thought that Tangled would be very well-suited for a stage show. Aside from the logistics of dealing with Rapunzel's hair (which they did pretty decently here anyways), new songs would be hard to force in, since Tangled's structure never really felt suited to broadway. It's too action-packed and the songs (with the possible exception of the Healing Incantation, which is a stretch, and I See the Light) never really added much to the film's plot or emotional-impact like most of the other Disney musicals' songs did. Plus, aside from the musical scenes in the film, no other scene ever really warrants a song. Still, since it's a stage production on a cruise ship, I know that a montage wouldn't have worked at all, but the reason why the dance scene worked in the film was because the animation and music were powerful enough to tell a story without anyone saying a single word. So, the scene reenacted with the limits of a stage and less intense music is not nearly as powerful as the film version.

Contrast a film such as Frozen, where the most of the important, plot-driving scenes are done through song. Unlike Tangled, I feel like Frozen's plot would not be nearly as successful if the songs disappeared; so, I feel like that would work better as a stage musical, and I could totally understand why Disney would take it to Broadway while this was picked up by the cruise line (aside from Frozen's popularity).
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

The other two songs

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv1roCfgDyA[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPvLEA8h4lA[/youtube]

I nearly cried in When She Returns. WSR & Flower of Gold (LOVE the touch of having a scribe, telling the King about the flower) are FANTASTIC and shows what the music to Tangled should have been like. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Alan Menken still has it! I am not impressed with Wanted Man. An Elvis song in 18th century? (The fangirls were a great touch rotfl ) And I gotta say that my tiny tidbit with FOG is that it should sounded a little more dramatic. And the King & Queen's part in WSR should have been that sad part at the castle before they were going to laterns. They sounded to cheery and their presence in the village was random. Otherwise, fabulous! Hopefully, they can make a cast recording, like Nemo: The Musical.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Tangled will celebrate its opening night Nov. 14. While the production is currently only slated to play the Disney Magic cruise line, sources tell Playbill.com that the creative team is eager to see the show expanded into a full-length stage musical.

Disney created a completely immersive experience for the production, which transforms the 977-seat Walt Disney Theatre into a "fanciful Bavarian kingdom, immersing audiences in Rapunzel’s world and making them feel a part of her story."

- See more at: http://playbill.com/news/article/meet-t ... zOuyP.dpuf
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The Maximus costume is genius.

How did they get Flynn to crawl through a small tower and then it get closer?! That was amazing,

Tangled, do you regret the member name you gave yourself if you don't think Tangled the movie is that good?
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney Duster wrote:The Maximus costume is genius.
Agreed! :)

To give my opinion about the songs; "When She Returns" is the best one, but it's a pity that they replaced it with the "Kingdom Dance" cue, since that one was frankly quite good (and they've obviously used some cues from it). The other songs were just meh. Though the opening song successfully intergrated the "Healing Incantation". Wonder if Menken could've used the songs which he originally wrote to "Tangled".

And it's hard to believe, but "Tangled" has it's fifth Anniversary this year. Congrats! :)
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

Disney Duster wrote:
Tangled, do you regret the member name you gave yourself if you don't think Tangled the movie is that good?
Not at all! I never said that I didn't think Tangled was a good movie. I just don't think it's a good musical. Don't get me wrong, I love absolutely everything else in the film, but the music is definitely the weakest link. In fact, Tangled doesn't need the songs to still be a good movie, and in a way, I consider that a strength. The plot was strong enough that they could have made I See the Light a voiceless scene and erased all of the other songs, replacing them with dialogue or montage, and I don't think the film's overall quality would change. That's why I used Frozen as a counterpoint. Frozen wouldn't be nearly as good of a film if you took out the songs. The plot would flounder without the lyrics adding emotional value and character development. Plus, unlike Tangled, I could pinpoint parts in Frozen where more songs that would actually greatly add to the plot could be added (more Hans and Kristoff singing, please? They could use more character development.)

And yes, I do regret this username. Not because it references a film I actually love, but rather because it's super limiting and I feel awkward being referred to by it.

One point towards the Tangled musical though (I watched the copy that was taken down yesterday), I actually really liked that reprise of When Will My Life Begin/I See the Light when Rapunzel goes back to the tower with Gothel. It was a good sum up of her character development, and was more believable than the sudden epiphany she has in the film. The other new songs felt unneeded and awkwardly jammed in for the sake of singing, although "Flower of Gold" was probably the best fit out of all of them. I loved the projection effects and how they intertwined Gothel's singing there, even if the song itself didn't add anything to Flynn's narration in the film. I'm just happy with how the new prologue didn't take anything away from the plot like "When She Returns" did.
WonderNeverOz
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WonderNeverOz »

did anyone download the complete video? it was removed from youtube :(
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I see, Tangled. Tangled is a pretty good film. Too bad about the darn title. And too bad I couldn't see that reprise of "When Will My Life Begin?/I See the Light". You know, if you email Luke at [email protected] you can have him change your username.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Wow, this production seems really good! Much more impressive than I would have thought, given it's a cruise ship play. The sets and background videos, the costumes (Maximus!), the way they have turned the whole room into a kingdom, the creative ways to interact with the audience and use the entire room. I could totally imagine this as a Broadway show. At least - we need a cast recording featuring all the new songs!
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

This production looks really good! I really want the show to eventually end up on Broadway (and eventually come to the Netherlands, like most Broadway Disney musicals). Those clips prove it could definitely work.

However, I must admit I'm not the biggest fan of the staging during 'Flower of Gold'. It looks a little crowded sometimes.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney effects animator Dan Lund mentioned in a new interview that the musical aspect on Tangled was scaled back as opposed to Frozen.
Q: Frozen and Tangled are definitely two of the best CG movies that have come out in recent years. Tangled, especially, has got that 2D feel to it.

Dan Lund: I actually didn't work on Tangled. That was being done when things at the studio weren't feeling so great. People that watch the movie love it but when we were in the building and it was being made, it didn't quite feel that confident. Whereas Frozen, even the musical aspect of it was confident. The people directing it loved musicals, wanted it to be a musical, and really be a true musical. Not just songs plugged in. Having that musical quality to the way the story is told was an awesome collaborative thing that I don't remember having quite as strong during Tangled's production.
Source: http://endcredits.podbean.com/e/danlund/
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

When Rapunzel had her magic hair was she immortal? When she cried and that tear fell into Flynn did that make him immortal?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Glenn Slater talks about the possibility of Tangled coming to Broadway.
Glenn Slater wrote:We’ve just finished a one-hour stage version of it for the Disney Cruise Line, with three new songs – hopefully, just a prelude to a full Broadway version.
Source: https://primerafilarevista.com/2015/08/ ... -original/
Q: Another report that been circulating is the possibility that Tangled will make its way to Broadway. I know that Disney recently adapted it to the stage for its Magic Cruise line.

Glenn Slater: Well again, Alan and I would absolutely love to do it for Broadway. We wrote three new songs for the cruise ship show, which feel just as good and just as organic to the story as the other songs do, and really start to develop an exciting way of telling that story which I think would translate to Broadway very well. And I'm fairly certain that Disney Theatricals has some thoughts about what they want to do at this point. I don't think that's a short time frame, I think they have their hands full with FROZEN at the moment, but certainly down the line I think everybody's hoping that that will be a possibility.
Source: http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BW ... w-20160601
Q: There's rumors that [Tangled] might be heading to Broadway at some point. Is there any truth in them?

Glenn Slater: I don't know whether it's going to Broadway or not but I know that there're still plans for it in a live version, somehow. We just did a live version for the Disney Cruise Lines, which we got to add some new material which we had been hoping to add to the film as well, which now gets to see the light of day and seems to work fantastically on stage. So, hopefully we'll get to keep expanding on that.
Source: https://www.mixcloud.com/SundayShowTune ... nn-slater/