Tangled (& Tangled Ever After) Discussion: Part VII

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Mmmadelon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mmmadelon »

Sotiris wrote:
Mmmadelon wrote:'New' Claire Keane sketch of young Rapunzel.
Thanks for sharing! :)
No problem! :)
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I guess Young Rapunzel can paint in her undies because no one visits her in the tower except Gothel. :p Cute work, though- I really like everything I've seen by Claire!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Tangled Ever After is available to watch on the French Disney Princess official site. It's dubbed in French of course, but the short doesn't have a lot of dialogue anyway.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

:?

Say,I still wonder what would have the story gone if Glen Keane was still in charge because from the looks of things it was pretty interesting.However,in my opinion I am still glad we got Tangled because the travesty that could have been Rapunzel Unbraided would have made people run out the theater doors.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Rapunzel Unbraided was bad. Glen Keane was assigned to it. Then when Michael Eisner left and John Lasseter took over it got thrown out and he changed it to a much more faithful version called Rapunzel, and this version may have been best. Then Byron Howard and Nathan Greno took over and it became less faithful but still going to be Rapunzel, maybe this would have been best. But then at the very last minute marketing made them change the title against their will.
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

In my opinion Tangled has kinda of grown on me and I think its kinda of catchy sounding.At least with Tangled they didn't do anything that resembled the Shrek formula because that would have wrecked the story.
:lol:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well Walt Disney always made his titles close to the original ones. I know you don't seem to care about such Disney rules, no one here seems to think Disney is anything other than quality animated family films, even though there's lots of other studios that make quality animated family films. The titles and (degree of) faithfulness to source material gave Disney a classic essence.
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

There is a degree between being faithful to the original material and having fun with telling your own spin on the story.

Take for example Pinnochio in the original story the main character was an unlikable jerk who often times got into trouble because of his own mean spirited actions.However,thankfully Walt and his team turned the little boy into the sweet but naive character we know and love today.I think sometimes changes are needed in order so the audience can symphasize with the character.

Or the biggiest example would be the Jungle Book which is the is the least bit faithful to the its orginal source material.In fact Walt said that they should just not read the book and just make their own story.

See,even Walt thought you didn't have to create a faithful adaption in order for it to be a good movie.In fact Mr.Disney would applaud that those in the business have done their best in telling their own stories and giving many viewers of different ages a great story to see.

I think Walt would even agree that if the changes to the original story where necassary to make the movie work then he would be all for it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes. Agreed. That is why I specifically said there was a DEGREE of faithfulness to how Walt did his movies. The title was always almost exactly the same as the original. Tangled is their most changed story to date. I don't know if the changes were necessary. After seeing the film I wrote a version of it which was more faithful and worked almost the same as the film we got.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

DisneyDuster... where did you write it? Can I/we read it?
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Disney Duster wrote:Yes. Agreed. That is why I specifically said there was a DEGREE of faithfulness to how Walt did his movies. The title was always almost exactly the same as the original. Tangled is their most changed story to date. I don't know if the changes were necessary. After seeing the film I wrote a version of it which was more faithful and worked almost the same as the film we got.

We can't blame WDAS and the team behind Tangled for the title change. It was the people at the top who decided it. As the directors have stated the original story to Rapunzel if very short, with very little adventure and excitement. I seriously do not see the problem with adding some laughs here and there. We all know changes were made after TPatF didn't perform to expectations. And maybe if Disney marketed that movie better we would still have a Rapunzel title. But anyway they are both GREAT movies and Tiana and Rapunzel have become two of the top selling Princesses in merchandise. And to be honest I think Rapunzel has an extremely traditional Disney personality. She's has great qualities like those of Snow White, Ariel and even Giselle.

Duster your version may have more faithful, but as I remember it was nothing spectacular.
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Marce82 wrote:DisneyDuster... where did you write it? Can I/we read it?
Yes. But please read it all, I wrote different attempts and the version you may think is best is probably further down in my post.

My version of Disney's Rapunzel
DisneyDude2010 wrote:It was the people at the top who decided it. As the directors have stated the original story to Rapunzel if very short, with very little adventure and excitement. I seriously do not see the problem with adding some laughs here and there. We all know changes were made after TPatF didn't perform to expectations. And maybe if Disney marketed that movie better we would still have a Rapunzel title. But anyway they are both GREAT movies and Tiana and Rapunzel have become two of the top selling Princesses in merchandise. And to be honest I think Rapunzel has an extremely traditional Disney personality. She's has great qualities like those of Snow White, Ariel and even Giselle.

Duster your version may have more faithful, but as I remember it was nothing spectacular.
I agree with a lot of that. How they should have marketed TPatF, Rapunzel's personality, even that my version may not be spectacular. But honestly all I really want is Tangled with the name Rapunzel and the opening and ending revealing that Rapunzel was a peasant, Flynn was a prince who became a thief, and Mother Gothel was a witch where the magic Rapunzel flower came from her own spell when the sun was brightest in a thousand years or something.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

If this becomes a thing again, I will literally vomit on all of you. And I never use the word "literally" incorrectly.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I don't know if this has been said or not around here, but I heard some information saying that the short Tangled Ever After, will be included in this fall's Blu-ray release of Cinderella. Is that true? I mean, did Disney actually confirm that? :)
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I just got this email, and I love love love love love the picture of Rapunzel on the right. Have any of you seen this picture before? Maybe I've seen it before, but I don't remember it if I have.

It looks very "painterly" to me. Like what Tangled could have been if it were hand-drawn! :mickey:

*edit*

Haha, of course I never notice anything. Look at the background, too!!! Beautiful! And Rapunzel's hair extends to the other side of the picture. Very, very pretty picture all-around, not just Rapunzel herself!
Ariel1989

Tangled Ever After

Post by Ariel1989 »

Tangled Ever After will be on Disney Channel on March 23 after The Princess and the Frog at 7:30pm :)
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I rewatched this on the Disney Channel and, to be honest, after rewatching it, I feel like we've been cheated because when we were hearing about it, I thought the other characters besides Maximus and Pascal.

Granted, I hold nothing against those two. It's just that I assumed the other characters would be more than just face cameos.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

I think that short was hilarious. I love Maximus. He's so cute and cuddly. :)
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

DisneyJedi wrote:I rewatched this on the Disney Channel and, to be honest, after rewatching it, I feel like we've been cheated because when we were hearing about it, I thought the other characters besides Maximus and Pascal.

Granted, I hold nothing against those two. It's just that I assumed the other characters would be more than just face cameos.
See, I feel the opposite. I'm GLAD that it focused on those two and not the rest of the characters. It didn't in any way screw with the "happily ever after" ending of Tangled. There just wasn't enough shown to mess with anything, except perhaps that the queen spoke.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Crap, I meant to record it, but forgot. Ive seen it already of course, but don't have an HD version of it to watch any time.
Last edited by Kyle on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.