Studio Ghibli Films

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Little Red Henski
Special Edition

Re: Studio Ghibli Films

Post by Little Red Henski »

sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

yay!! good timing... im heading to canada on tuesday so should be able to pick up a copy. [new zealand pricing is insane, and the releases are always slow.]
big kid at heart
Hogi Bear
Special Edition
Location: New Zealand - Population: 60+ Million Sheep Origin: Unknown

Post by Hogi Bear »

sunhuntin wrote:yay!! good timing... im heading to canada on tuesday so should be able to pick up a copy. [new zealand pricing is insane, and the releases are always slow.]
New Zealand and Australia are getting these in July on the 11th for New Zealand and the 3rd for Australia at RRP $39.99 for Blu-ray and RRP $29.99/29.95 for the DVD.

http://www.madman.co.nz/catalogue/view/18095
http://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view/18095
No signature needed - Kyoto Animation put out some beautiful animation
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I wonder if the U.S. blu-ray release of From Up On Poppy Hill will be region free.
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

Amazon.com is have a one day sale on most of the previously released Studio Ghibli films on Blu-ray and DVD:

Gold Box Deal of the Day: Up to 55% Off Studio Ghibli Films on DVD and Blu-ray
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

Hogi Bear wrote:
sunhuntin wrote:yay!! good timing... im heading to canada on tuesday so should be able to pick up a copy. [new zealand pricing is insane, and the releases are always slow.]
New Zealand and Australia are getting these in July on the 11th for New Zealand and the 3rd for Australia at RRP $39.99 for Blu-ray and RRP $29.99/29.95 for the DVD.

http://www.madman.co.nz/catalogue/view/18095
http://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view/18095
thanks for that. since i will be over that side of the world anyway, i will grab it from walmart or something.
big kid at heart
disneyftw1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneyftw1 »

Poppy Hill was first first-run Ghibli movie to hit North America from GKids and marks a departure from Disney's relationship with the studio. Cinedigm will be distributing the home video releases.
Sort of sucks that Disney is not controlling this, but yet again, these films aren't mainly owned by Disney to begin with, so not that much complaining.
This is DisneyFTW1, a former Youtube account that was terminated by Disney themselves. My current Youtube Account is FilmFTW2 (FilmFTW1 was terminated). Youtube sucks when it comes to film uploads, and it sucks even more when major corporations are following your channels. But what can I do?
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Kiki, Mononoke, and Wind Rises Blu-rays detailed!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=15276\

"Walt Disney Home Entertainment has provided the final technical details for its upcoming Blu-ray releases of The Wind Rises, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Princess Mononoke. The three releases will be available for purchase on November 18th.

Princess Mononoke

Inflicted with a deadly curse, a young warrior named Ashitaka sets out to the forests of the west in search of the cure that will save his life. Once there, he becomes inextricably entangled in a bitter battle that matches Lady Eboshi and a proud clan of humans against the forest's animal gods... who are led by the brave Princess Mononoke, a young woman raised by wolves!

Special Features: •Princess Mononoke in the USA - In September of 1999, Princess Mononoke's director, Hayao Miyazaki traveled to the US and Canada to promote the film's release. This feature is a record of those events
•Jada Pinkett Smith, Claire Danes, Billy Bob Thornton, Gillian Anderson, Billy Crudup talk about acting in the English voice cast in Princess Mononoke
•Original Japanese Storyboards
•Original Japanese and English Trailers
•Original English Theatrical Trailer
•Original TV Spots
Tech Specs: • DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 English and Japanese; Dolby Digital 5.1 French Audio
•English and French Subtitles
Kiki's Delivery Service

Kiki is an enterprising young girl who must follow tradition to become a full-fledged witch. Venturing out with only her black cat, Jiji, Kiki flies off for the adventure of a lifetime. Landing in a far-off city, she sets up a high-flying delivery service and begins a wonderful experience of independence and responsibility as she finds her place in the world.

Special Features: •New Bonus:
â—¦Ursula's Painting - A musical montage of Ursula's Painting. The painting was created by junior high school students and used by Director Miyazaki for the film.
•Classic Bonus:
â—¦Introduction by John Lasseter
â—¦Original Japanese Storyboards
â—¦Original Japanese Trailers
â—¦Behind the Microphone - English voice cast members Kirsten Dunst, Janeane Garofalo and Phil Hartman give voice to their on-screen characters
â—¦Creating Kiki's Delivery Service - Director Miyazaki discusses how he created the world of the movie
â—¦Kiki & Jiji - Producer Toshio Suzuki reveals how Director Miyazaki based the character of Kiki on Suzuki's teenage daughter
â—¦Flying with Kiki & Beyond - The director discusses how he approached Kiki flying
â—¦Producer's Perspective: Collaborating with Miyazaki - The producer talks about how he worked with the director through the years
â—¦The Locations of Kiki - The real world locations that influenced the look of the film are revealed
â—¦Scoring Miyazaki - Composer Joe Hisaishi talks about his approach in writing the music.
Tech Specs: • DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 English and Japanese; Dolby Digital 2.0 French Audio
•English and French Subtitles
The Wind Rises

From Academy Award-winning filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki (Best Animated Feature, Spirited Away, 2002) comes a spellbinding movie beyond compare. Experience "perhaps the greatest animated film the cinema has ever seen" (David Ehrlich, Film.com) on Blu-ray. Jiro dreams of flying and designing beautiful airplanes, inspired by the famous Italian aeronautical designer Caproni. Nearsighted and unable to be a pilot, he becomes one of the world's most accomplished airplane designers, experiencing key historical events in an epic tale of love, perseverance and the challenges of living and making choices in a turbulent world. Bring home the film that has dazzled fans and critics around the globe. Bursting off the screen with spectacular picture and sound and featuring fascinating bonus material, Miyazaki's final masterpiece, The Wind Rises, is breathtaking on Blu-ray.

Special Features: •The Wind Rises: Behind the Microphone
•Storyboards
•Original Japanese Trailers and TV Spots
•Announcement of the Completion of the Film
Tech Specs: •DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0 English and Japanese; Dolby Digital 1.0 DVS English Audio
•English and French Subtitles"

1.0 Mono for The Wind Rises? Why?
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stevemcqueen »

The next wave of Ghibli Blu-rays released by Disney will arrive on February 3rd, 2015:

1) Porco Rosso
http://www.walmart.com/ip/41034482

2) Pom Poko
http://www.walmart.com/ip/41034481

3) Tales From Earthsea
http://www.walmart.com/ip/41034483
stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stevemcqueen »

Question for the "Ghibli experts": After this next wave in February, are these 3 movies the only ones left to be released on Blu-ray in the US by Disney?

1) My Neighbors The Yamadas
2) Spirited Away
3) The Cat Returns

Is that correct?
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

stevemcqueen wrote:Question for the "Ghibli experts": After this next wave in February, are these 3 movies the only ones left to be released on Blu-ray in the US by Disney?

2) Spirited Away
3) The Cat Returns

Is that correct?
Yup, it looks like those are the last three. We'll probably get them next fall.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stevemcqueen »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:
stevemcqueen wrote:Question for the "Ghibli experts": After this next wave in February, are these 3 movies the only ones left to be released on Blu-ray in the US by Disney?

2) Spirited Away
3) The Cat Returns

Is that correct?
Yup, it looks like those are the last three. We'll probably get them next fall.
Thanks!! :)
Can't wait for Spirited Away...
Little Red Henski
Special Edition

Post by Little Red Henski »

2) Spirited Away
3) The Cat Returns

Is that correct?

Never released in the US
1) Only Yesterday
2) Ocean Waves
3) When Marnie Was There
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

It seems that Isao Takahata's Only Yesterday, which has long been sitting on Disney's shelf, will finally see the light of day. However, it won't be with Disney. GKIDS will be releasing the film in theaters and on Blu-ray/DVD in early 2016.

Disney completely dropped the ball on this, but I'm still stoked to finally be able to see the film.

Source

When Marnie Was There, Ghibli's latest film, will be released this October via Universal (and presumably GKIDS).

The Blu-ray release of When Marnie Was There is presented in 1080p with Japanese and English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.0 surround. Special features include:

*The Making of When Marnie Was There
*Yohei Taneda Creates the Art of When Marnie Was There
*Feature-Length Storyboards
*Behind the Scenes with the Voice Cast
*Foreign Trailers and TV Spots
*US Trailer
Source

So now we're only waiting for Ocean Waves and My Neighbors the Yamadas.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Darby
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Darby »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:It seems that Isao Takahata's Only Yesterday, which has long been sitting on Disney's shelf, will finally see the light of day. However, it won't be with Disney. GKIDS will be releasing the film in theaters and on Blu-ray/DVD in early 2016.

Disney completely dropped the ball on this, but I'm still stoked to finally be able to see the film.

Source

When Marnie Was There, Ghibli's latest film, will be released this October via Universal (and presumably GKIDS).

The Blu-ray release of When Marnie Was There is presented in 1080p with Japanese and English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.0 surround. Special features include:

*The Making of When Marnie Was There
*Yohei Taneda Creates the Art of When Marnie Was There
*Feature-Length Storyboards
*Behind the Scenes with the Voice Cast
*Foreign Trailers and TV Spots
*US Trailer
Source

Thanks for sharing this wonderful news, The Sequel of Disney! I can't wait purchase Only Yesterday and When Marnie was There on DVD. Now if only Ocean Waves could see the light of day on DVD....

Darby
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

thats great news, thanks!! cant wait to see "marnie". the shorts look fascinating.
big kid at heart
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:It seems that Isao Takahata's Only Yesterday, which has long been sitting on Disney's shelf, will finally see the light of day. However, it won't be with Disney. GKIDS will be releasing the film in theaters and on Blu-ray/DVD in early 2016.
Good to know about OY. I was just looking at Wikipedia today wondering why I hadn't seen those three (and Pom Poko, but I don't think I'm missing much with that one?). WMWT was fantastic, imo. I really loved everything about the film. For some reason throughout I thought maybe she was in a fantasy that she'd created in her drawings. Finding out Marnie was real and then that she was Anna's grandmother surprised me, actually. I don't know how I didn't guess the latter at least. Priscilla Ahn's "Fine On the Outside" at the end had me tearing up. Very pretty. What with Marnie saying she hated her family for "leaving her" and then learning that Marnie's spirit/soul came back or stayed behind to be with her, it hit me pretty hard for whatever reason.

My ranking right now:

1. Kiki’s Delivery Service
2. Princess Mononoke
3. Spirited Away
4. The Castle of Cagliostro
5. Whisper of the Heart
6. When Marnie Was There
7. Howl’s Moving Castle
8. Tales from Earthsea
9. The Wind Rises
10. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
11. From Up On Poppy Hill
12. Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind
13. Grave of the Fireflies
14. The Secret World of Arrietty
15. Porco Rosso
16. My Neighbor Totoro
17. Ponyo
18. Castle in the Sky
19. The Cat Returns

I need to re-watch Nausicaa again though, so maybe it would rank a little higher. What a strong list of films they have... :clap:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Thanks for bumping this thread! About three months ago, I gave myself a task of seeing all Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki films I haven't seen before the end of 2015, and now that I have, here's my ranking:

- Castle in the Sky
- Kiki's Delivery Service
- My Neighbor Totoro
- Only Yesterday
- Grave of the Fireflies

- Princess Mononoke
- Howl's Moving Castle
- The Cat Returns
- When Marnie Was There
- The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

- The Wind Rises
- From Up on Poppy Hill
- Ocean Waves
- My Neighbors the Yamadas
- Whisper of the Heart

- The Secret World of Arrietty
- Ponyo
- Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
- Spirited Away
- Tales from Earthsea
- Pom Poko
- Porco Rosso

I haven's seen The Castle of Cagliostro yet because it would require me to get acquainted with other, previously released Lupin III media, and I didn't find time for that. Maybe next year.

Even though Miyazaki's films occupy the top of my list, on the whole, I think I actually prefer Takahata's slice-of-life ones.