Strange Magic

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
Disneyphile
Special Edition

LucasFilms' "Strange Magic"

Post by Disneyphile »

Disney will release Lucasfilm’s animated feature “Strange Magic” on Jan. 23, 2015.

The toon, based on a story by George Lucas, was in production when Disney purchased Lucasfilm in 2012 for $4 billion. It will be released through the Touchstone Pictures banner, used by Disney to distribute DreamWorks Pictures’ films.

Directed by Gary Rydstrom (“Toy Story Toons: Hawaiian Vacation,”), “Strange Magic” is described as a madcap fairy tale musical inspired by “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” with popular songs from the past six decades used to help tell the tale of a colorful cast of goblins, elves, fairies and imps, and their hilarious misadventures sparked by the battle over a powerful potion.
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/disne ... 201353522/
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Re: Untitled Fairies Musical [Lucasfilm Animation]

Post by jazzflower92 »

For some reason its giving off some Dark Crystal vibes. Not to mention the fact that this isn't George Lucas' first time delving into fantasy because he did work on the Labyrinth with Jim Henson back in the 80's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinth_(film)
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Re: Untitled Fairies Musical [Lucasfilm Animation]

Post by Maerj »

jazzflower92 wrote:For some reason its giving off some Dark Crystal vibes. Not to mention the fact that this isn't George Lucas' first time delving into fantasy because he did work on the Labyrinth with Jim Henson back in the 80's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinth_(film)
It is and I like it! That's a striking image, I can't wait for the trailer.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Re: Strange Magic (formerly Primrose)

Post by unprincess »

Ive always thought Midsummers Night's Dream would make for a great animated film, but this is gives me more of an Epic vibe. Somehow I have a feeling it will be inspired by MSND the way Frozen was inspired by Snow Queen... it will borrow some elements but be a completely different thing...
Mach Full Force
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mach Full Force »

Personally, I'm very much looking forward to this film. It has the potential to be something quite inventive and fun. Not to mention it always pleases me to see Lucasfilms working on something other than Star Wars.
"Maybe you live in a golden cage, but a golden cage is still a cage."
~Juan Carlos Bodoque, 31 Minutos: La Película
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Would this count as a Disney movie?
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

The Trailer for 'Strange Magic,' George Lucas's Next Big Movie
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/strange-ma ... 41212.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Would this count as a Disney movie?
It's Touchstone, just like TNBC was; so maybe in the future it could turn into a "Disney" film, but also it's a LucasFilm, so maybe it won't be rebranded...
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Wow....this looks....terrible.....
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

The characters look very detailed, more than most cg animated films I've seen. Looks like it's going to sort of be a musical but it could be interesting.
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

Looks like somebody ate the model designs of Delgo along with the animation of Epic and vomited it all back out into this mess.
taei
Special Edition

Post by taei »

That trailer was terrible and the movie looks horrendous.

A lot of people are talking about the animation, but I don't see how this is stand out.
Sure, it might be better then Legends of Oz, but it's no where near the level of how good the animation of Dragon 2 and Big Hero 2 (just the background, not character).

I was worried that Disney might distribute this as it could only hurt them.

But yeah... Every time we take a step forward in animation, something like this happens.

Oh and based on the trailer, here's what's going to happen:

The villain will turn out to be NOT a villain and he will fall in love with the main brown haired girl. Her blonde sister is suffering from stockholm syndrome.
The main guy is I guess going to end up with bug?
"In every age, Family is king,
and the bravest journeys, are never taken alone."
-Brave.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I think this is an example of a trailer being so obviously put together by a marketing department. I imagine even Gary Rydstrom is looking at this trailer and thinking "what the f...?" I think Disney fans of all people are the last who should trust a trailer and expect it to be a proper representation of the final film. Tangled, anyone? Or remember the first full Frozen trailer that made it look like a wacky romantic comedy?

It's an awful trailer, but I wouldn't be surprised if the final film is more majestic and less jokey.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

This looks like an absolute DISGRACE. :facepalm:
LADY Image CLUCK
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

sigh...now see,normally I love fairies/creatures in magical forest myth type stories but I have no idea if this will be good or not b/c they smother everything with stupid typical Dreamworksy comedy...I suppose I should get used to the fact by now that every big studio released film will be infused with this tye of comedy, but I cant. If this had taken itself more seriously this would have been a watch in theaters film for me but the comedy downgrades it to a Netflix rental. So many examples of animated films that I like the premise for, but the needless "entertain the kids who feel theyre too hip to watch a cartoon" humor ruins my desire to see it...

its like the same comedy writers are writing every animated film(and the same type of comedy) from every animated studio. Im so tired of it....
Candy-Bonita95
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Candy-Bonita95 »

This... Looks like another version of Gnomeo and Juliet only that some of the jokes from Gnomeo and Juliet were able to get a few laughs and acknowledged that everything was dried up, overdone material. This had the chance to be mystical, something that a lot of current films are lacking. (The Hobbit may be of fantasy genre, but it is approaching the serious part of the trilogy.) The pop songs do NOT suit the narrative. If there is going to be contemporary music or genre's in animated films, can we get something cool not a rip-off of Shrek? Can it just be awesome house music or Fleet Foxes? Wait! Can there actually be an animated movie that uses the Fleet Foxes? Btw, for anyone who does not know who the Fleet Foxes are. They are a band signed with SubPop and make music inspired by folk and fantasy. [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsIoNvsc5Tc[/youtube]

Back to my point. It is not like contemporary music should not be allowed in animated movies, but it just needs to contribute to the setting and immerse the audience into the fictional world. Strange Magic's use of pop songs just make it like the characters are randomly karoke singing in the movie. Yep, Strange Magic sounds like a movie consisting of only big-lipped alligator moments. :down:
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

:down: :down: If I had more thumbs, they'd be down too. One of the worst looking trailers I have had the displeasure of seeing. Ugh
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Oh, goodness …. not exactly inspiring was it ? Not my cup of tea I don't think.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

The trailer actually made me excited... I think it looks like something I'll like... (And I do like Gnomeo and Juliet too...).
Hogi Bear
Special Edition
Location: New Zealand - Population: 60+ Million Sheep Origin: Unknown

Post by Hogi Bear »

For anyone that doesn't want to visit another page, here is the official trailer embeded:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wv7Li2V7S8[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wv7Li2V7S8

I probably would like to see a trailer with a diiferent take, before making judgement on whether I'd go and see it.
No signature needed - Kyoto Animation put out some beautiful animation