DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:08 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 9695
Location: North Carolina Gender: Male
It's sad business these days is so misogynistic that even the word "Bow" is off-limits for a film with bow and arrows. I still don't get how "Brave" even has anything to do with the film itself.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:27 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:17 pm
Posts: 6783
Perhaps because Merida was Brave for in the end changing her fate and not having to marry a guy? :?

But yeah there's not even a line in the movie where they say any character is indeed Brave except maybe Lasster said the characters act bravely so let's call it Brave??

Ironically for being afraid to not attract boys they sure had plenty of products for girls and not a lot for boys. It seems that way for a lot since Tangled and I imagine Frozen as well :|

Even more Irony regarding the fear of using the Bow in the name to be confused with a hair bow.

Image

_________________
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:43 am 
Offline
Limited Edition

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:07 pm
Posts: 1812
May I also blamed John Lasseter for being an idiot for not trusting hand drawn animation. I'm sorry, but as soon as Bob Iger is gone in 2016, the new CEO should fired John Lasseter.
Because John Lasseter is a 4-15-21-3-8-5-2-1-7! :glare:


Last edited by TsWade2 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:52 am 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:07 pm
Posts: 1045
I don't know people are being overdramatic about this and really making Lasseter out to be some monster he is not. Also don't you think its too quick to just side with Ms.Chapman because there are two sides to every story. Wishing him to be fired just seems petty because he hasn't done a lot of stuff some fans on the internet wanted. He is not perfect but on the other hand he is not some evil overlord who crackles at every decision that people disapprove of.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:06 am 
Offline
Limited Edition

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:07 pm
Posts: 1812
jazzflower92 wrote:
I don't know people are being overdramatic about this and really making Lasseter out to be some monster he is not. Also don't you think its too quick to just side with Ms.Chapman because there are two sides to every story. Wishing him to be fired just seems petty because he hasn't done a lot of stuff some fans on the internet wanted. He is not perfect but on the other hand he is not some evil overlord who crackles at every decision that people disapprove of.

But he never gives hand drawn another chance. If he's not an evil overlord, then he's a coward. He's too scared to give hand drawn another chance. He's a big fraidy-cat! Snap! I went there! I wonder if there's an emotioncon for snapping fingers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:15 am 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:07 pm
Posts: 1045
TsWade2 wrote:
jazzflower92 wrote:
I don't know people are being overdramatic about this and really making Lasseter out to be some monster he is not. Also don't you think its too quick to just side with Ms.Chapman because there are two sides to every story. Wishing him to be fired just seems petty because he hasn't done a lot of stuff some fans on the internet wanted. He is not perfect but on the other hand he is not some evil overlord who crackles at every decision that people disapprove of.

But he never gives hand drawn another chance. If he's not an evil overlord, then he's a coward. He's too scared to give hand drawn another chance. He's a big fraidy-cat! Snap! I went there! I wonder if there's an emotioncon for snapping fingers.


I feel this is a sour grapes situation for a lot of people here. I kind of at this point don't really care we are getting mostly CGI flicks because at least Disney is improving their storytelling and not trying anymore to copy the Shrek formula. I actually have faith that "Frozen" will actually be good because so far "Tangled" and "Wreck It Ralph" have delivered that same Disney spirit that people have grown to love.

:wave:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:30 am 
Offline
Limited Edition

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:07 pm
Posts: 1812
jazzflower92 wrote:
TsWade2 wrote:
jazzflower92 wrote:
I don't know people are being overdramatic about this and really making Lasseter out to be some monster he is not. Also don't you think its too quick to just side with Ms.Chapman because there are two sides to every story. Wishing him to be fired just seems petty because he hasn't done a lot of stuff some fans on the internet wanted. He is not perfect but on the other hand he is not some evil overlord who crackles at every decision that people disapprove of.

But he never gives hand drawn another chance. If he's not an evil overlord, then he's a coward. He's too scared to give hand drawn another chance. He's a big fraidy-cat! Snap! I went there! I wonder if there's an emotioncon for snapping fingers.


I feel this is a sour grapes situation for a lot of people here. I kind of at this point don't really care we are getting mostly CGI flicks because at least Disney is improving their storytelling and not trying anymore to copy the Shrek formula. I actually have faith that "Frozen" will actually be good because so far "Tangled" and "Wreck It Ralph" have delivered that same Disney spirit that people have grown to love.

:wave:
So do I. But I just missed hand drawn so much. I just hope everything will be back to normal when the new CEO arrives in 2016, and it better be Kathleen Kennedy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:40 am 
Online
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:55 pm
Posts: 1282
Location: Los Angeles
jazzflower92 wrote:
I don't know people are being overdramatic about this and really making Lasseter out to be some monster he is not. Also don't you think its too quick to just side with Ms.Chapman because there are two sides to every story. Wishing him to be fired just seems petty because he hasn't done a lot of stuff some fans on the internet wanted. He is not perfect but on the other hand he is not some evil overlord who crackles at every decision that people disapprove of.


I to do hope for WDAS to return to hand-drawn someday, but I'm very pleased with their upcoming films over the next 5 years: Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, Giants, Moana & Dean Wellins "Teenage Space-Race Film"! If we're luck Moana could be in the Paperman format, which could be an industy changer for an big studio animated film! Compared to it's rivals: Pixar, Dreamworks, BlueSky, Illumination & Sony, WDAS to me has the most interesting future films. And none of them are sequeals/prequeals!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:46 am 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:07 pm
Posts: 1045
DisneyEra wrote:
jazzflower92 wrote:
I don't know people are being overdramatic about this and really making Lasseter out to be some monster he is not. Also don't you think its too quick to just side with Ms.Chapman because there are two sides to every story. Wishing him to be fired just seems petty because he hasn't done a lot of stuff some fans on the internet wanted. He is not perfect but on the other hand he is not some evil overlord who crackles at every decision that people disapprove of.


I to do hope for WDAS to return to hand-drawn someday, but I'm very pleased with their upcoming films over the next 5 years: Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, Giants, Moana & Dean Wellins "Teenage Space-Race Film"! If we're luck Moana could be in the Paperman format, which could be an industy changer for an big studio animated film! Compared to it's rivals: Pixar, Dreamworks, BlueSky, Illumination & Sony, WDAS to me has the most interesting future films. And none of them are sequeals/prequeals!


Yeah, and maybe just maybe one of those upcoming films will finally land Disney a Best Animated Film award. I have to say Maona, Big Hero and Zootopia are looking really interesting and fun.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:17 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:21 am
Posts: 2355
disneyboy20022 wrote:
But yeah there's not even a line in the movie where they say any character is indeed Brave

Merida - Our fate lives within us, you only have to be brave enough to see it.
It was an alliance forged in bravery and friendship and it lives to this day.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:01 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:47 am
Posts: 4635
Location: UK
atlanticaunderthesea wrote:
Does The Bear Queen's Daughter win the award for most descriptive Disney title ever?? rotfl


It does have a bit of a Great Mouse Detective ring to it... :lol:

_________________
-Joe

Blog | Deviantart


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:23 pm 
Offline
Gold Collection

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 7:59 pm
Posts: 70
TsWade2 wrote:
Because John Lasseter is a 4-15-21-3-8-5-2-1-7!


What is that even supposed to mean?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:44 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:59 am
Posts: 4831
ianwahlers wrote:
TsWade2 wrote:
Because John Lasseter is a 4-15-21-3-8-5-2-1-7!


What is that even supposed to mean?


It's some stupid code fill-in that when the letters match the numbers it means a word. Just ignore it. Just fill in any negative word or curse you can think of there.

_________________
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:57 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 1771
Aren't those the numbers in Lost?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:03 am 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:22 am
Posts: 1247
Location: Buffalo
TsWade2 wrote:
Because John Lasseter is a 4-15-21-3-8-5-2-1-7! :glare:


You're mean. :P

_________________
Image
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:06 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:57 pm
Posts: 3535
Location: Puerto Rico
I believe I may have said this in the past, but here's the deal...

To every story, there is always three takes on the story: person A's take, person B's take, and what actually happened. What person A and person B often do is tell their story so that they come out as either the victims or the victors of the situation, but the events that actually happened are either hidden by those same people, or no one can't truly recall it. What I am getting at is that we can raise Brenda Chapman as some sort of heroine that spoke against the evils of Pixar, or we can say that Pixar was the victim of an artist that refused to cooperate and was too enamored by her own story to do anything about it, the reality of the situation is that none of us were there to see what actually happened, and thus I think it is unfair to damn either Pixar or Brenda Chapman based on just a few comments and interviews. I mean, for all we know, Chapman would be playing herself to be a big victim so that people pity her and thus she gets more work, or Pixar's reluctance to say anything could confirm the ill wills of the creative process. But until someone comes out and says "THIS IS WHAT REALLY HAPPENED", to damn and praise one or the other is silly as this point.

Also, regarding the insults and comments towards John Lasseter, let it be clear that within the company he is just ONE MAN following the indications and rules of other men, men with far more power and control over the assets of the company. To fully blame him of the decisions THE COMPANY has taken as of late is unfair and childish, to be honest. Lasseter may have a lot of control at the company, but that still doesn't compare to what the overall company has to say and do on the matter. If the company said that 2D films are not profitable and see a brighter future in computer animation, what can Lasseter do about it? Clearly, he tried his hardest to bring Disney back from the brink and create movies that were both classic and progressive in their execution, and if the company did not see it as wise way to keep the company afloat, then sacrifices had to be made. It sucks that a lot of people lost their jobs and that we won't see any 2D films in a while, but that is what happens when not just the animation industry changes but the audience as well.

I mean, people seem to forget that back in the 70s and 80s, when Walt Disney had passed away, Disney was operating on the "What would Walt do?" belief that barely kept the company alive. Now, had the company be re-invigorated with a change of plans, new concepts and ideas, we wouldn't be talking about the golden age, and how today's Disney should be emulating THAT Disney. In short, the reason we even have a golden age to reminisce about was because Disney needed to change and keep up with the demands and needs of the audience, and it is clear that right now Disney is just trying to follow up on the trends that interest today's audience, and considering the success of their most recent outings, it seems that their efforts are paying up. Not to mention that they are now fighting against other companies for the same audience, so they have to make changes and sacrifices in order to stay relevant in the grand scheme of things.

So we can all damn Lasseter, wish him all the STDs in the world, wish him misfortune and bad luck to kingdom come, that won't change the fact that he is just one man in a larger than life company that is trying to stay relevant with the needs of the modern audience.

Either realize that sooner, or just keep throwing temper tantrums like this...
Image

_________________
ImageImageImageImage

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:40 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 11028
pap64 wrote:
But until someone comes out and says "THIS IS WHAT REALLY HAPPENED", to damn and praise one or the other is silly at this point.

The thing is that even if both parties spoke up, you still wouldn't know the "truth". There isn't an impartial third entity who can provide you with the truth. Even facts are subject to interpretation and filtered through one's perception/ideology/convictions etc. You can provide two people with the exact same information, but they could still come up with radically different conclusions.

pap64 wrote:
Let it be clear that within the company he is just ONE MAN following the indications and rules of other men, men with far more power and control over the assets of the company.

I find interesting that when Lasseter does something which is considered positive by the fanbase, he is praised as an infallible genius and gets full credit, while when he does something which is perceived as negative (like more sequels or abandoning 2D animation etc), it's always someone else's fault who forced him to do it.

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:39 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 9695
Location: North Carolina Gender: Male
Sotiris wrote:
You can provide two people with the exact same information, but they could still come up with radically different conclusions.
Case in point--this forum.

I could take pap64's post more seriously if it wasn't already clear that he is as biased as anyone in this thread. He clearly sees Brenda Chapman in a negative light, so I don't see why it's such a big deal that others may see Pixar or John Lasseter negatively. And I don't think it's true to assume that all people that dislike where the company is right now or where it's currently going hates change either.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:00 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:53 pm
Posts: 3346
Disney's Divinity wrote:
Sotiris wrote:
You can provide two people with the exact same information, but they could still come up with radically different conclusions.
Case in point--this forum.

I could take pap64's post more seriously if it wasn't already clear that he is as biased as anyone in this thread. He clearly sees Brenda Chapman in a negative light, so I don't see why it's such a big deal that others may see Pixar or John Lasseter negatively. And I don't think it's true to assume that all people that dislike where the company is right now or where it's currently going hates change either.


Because when it comes to ideas, Pixar treats women's ideas like they're 'Meh'. But when a man pitches it, everyone's like 'ERMAHGERD!!! YES".

I dunno about you, but I think Pixar is pretty damn sexist. It took us... What? Over a decade and a half for a female to get the lead in one of their films? And don't even get me started on how only a film or two of theirs starred only one female character/voice actress.

This isn't the early 1900s, Pixar. Stop treating women like they're below you!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:13 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:07 pm
Posts: 1045
DisneyJedi wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:
Sotiris wrote:
You can provide two people with the exact same information, but they could still come up with radically different conclusions.
Case in point--this forum.

I could take pap64's post more seriously if it wasn't already clear that he is as biased as anyone in this thread. He clearly sees Brenda Chapman in a negative light, so I don't see why it's such a big deal that others may see Pixar or John Lasseter negatively. And I don't think it's true to assume that all people that dislike where the company is right now or where it's currently going hates change either.


Because when it comes to ideas, Pixar treats women's ideas like they're 'Meh'. But when a man pitches it, everyone's like 'ERMAHGERD!!! YES".

I dunno about you, but I think Pixar is pretty damn sexist. It took us... What? Over a decade and a half for a female to get the lead in one of their films? And don't even get me started on how only a film or two of theirs starred only one female character/voice actress.

This isn't the early 1900s, Pixar. Stop treating women like they're below you!


I think that's oversimplifying things at Pixar. You really believe they dismiss women's ideas and treat men's ideas like their gold. Also anyone remember Bug's Life, Toy Story 2 & 3, Finding Nemo, Wall-E, Cars, and the Incredibles. Those had more than one female character and voice actresses. Pixar can do better but come on they are not some evil misogynist entity.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DisneyEra, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group