Has Pixar Lost Their Way ?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Has Pixar Lost Their Way ?

Post by Atlantica »

Interesting article, but wasn't sure where it slotted into. Would fit into the 'Good Dinosaur' thread, but didn't want to derail the discussion ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 05609.html
frankf3
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Has Pixar Lost Their Way ?

Post by frankf3 »

While I wasn't a fan of Cars 2 or Brave, I actually liked Monsters University. That movie has really grown on me and I enjoyed it more a second viewing. I was really impressed with where they went with the plot in the third act, especially the themes. It's my favorite animated movie this year (albeit very weak year imo). This isn't really the year to be complaining about Pixar making a "B" movie considering we have gotten very underwhelming movies like Epic and Turbo personally.

Even though I'm disappointed Bob Peterson got taken off the Good Dinosaur, we should still be optimistic. An animated movie with production issues has sometimes turned out well (Ratatouille) and sometimes a mess (Brave). We just have to wait and see who the replacement director is whether it's Mark Andrews, Peter Sohn, or mabye even Lee Unkrich.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Just bumps in the road (though I'm still sad Bob Peterson has been taken off of The Good Dinosaur). Plus, it was announced a while back that Pixar tends to slow down on the sequels.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I lost faith in Pixar when Cars 2 was released. I know not all their work is 100% perfection, but after that mess, they just couldn't raise my expectations the same way again. I didn't care at all that Brave won the Oscar because it was too much of a mediocre effort. I currently have no interest in buying Monsters University (I missed it in theaters so I will just wait for a good sale).

As for The Good Dinosaur I am weary on the plot. I really hope the Dinosaur does not talk since we have had enough talking animal movies from Disney/Pixar.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I think that for me, I stopped being a Pixar Fan Boy after Cars 2 and then Brave, but that may be a good thing. I went into Monsters U not expecting much and wound up really liking it. So maybe that the key going into these films from now on? Go in not expecting much and it may surprise you!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Has Pixar lost their way?

I'm in the minority to say....

No. Not completely anyway. Cars 2's performance just mainly proves that not all of their films are going to be successful.
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

milojthatch wrote:So maybe that the key going into these films from now on? Go in not expecting much and it may surprise you!
I concur with this 100%! :up:
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

The real test to me will be The Good Dinosaur and Inside Out. Those concepts seem more like the original and creative storytelling that Pixar became known for, so we'll see if they can recapture the magic.

I did like Brave for what it was though. And Monsters University was very solid for a prequel/sequel. It was one of the more straight up funny movies from Pixar, and I think that's what they were going for so I'd say it was a success.

I didn't even like Cars 1 much so I can't be too mad about Cars 2 sucking.

Not sure how I feel about Finding Dory considering Finding Nemo was a little overrated and one of the more childish movies of their golden era but it was still cute and I'll give it a chance.
LADY Image CLUCK
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Cars 2 was the only real snag as far as I'm concerned. Though the trend of replacing directors is pretty disheartening.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Kyle wrote:Cars 2 was the only real snag as far as I'm concerned. Though the trend of replacing directors is pretty disheartening.
Once or twice is fair enough, but this is becoming almost a constant. Who actually does the firing / who decides it ?
slyslayer3000
Gold Classic Collection

Post by slyslayer3000 »

While a disappointing effort, I kinda like Cars 2. I consider it a decent film with a few laughs here and there. I think if Pixar ditched the whole sequel idea (Cars didn't need one and this one could easily be standalone) and incorporated the spy plot with new, interesting, fleshed-out characters (preferably humans), it "might" work better and people "might" appreciate the film for what it was.

Brave is a wasted opportunity. I enjoyed it but felt a little underwhelmed. I mean, it has an interesting premise and all but it could've been executed way better. Watching the film, one can tell there are two directors with opposing creative goals. As a result, the film felt like it didn't know what it wants or where to go. I agree with what people are saying about the film being a mess in terms of themes (and even mood).

Having said those, I don't think Pixar lost their way. Their recent films aren't as groundbreaking, yes. But I enjoyed them still. Heck, I'd pick Monsters University over WALL-E anytime. What bothers me is the whole production issues and creative differences going on and how those can affect the quality of future films.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

slyslayer3000 wrote:While a disappointing effort, I kinda like Cars 2. I consider it a decent film with a few laughs here and there.
Sure, I don't think too many people would say it wasn't good for a few laughs, but that's about it. It certainly wasn't up to par with even their weakest film. For the first time I just couldn't bring myself to finish the commentary. I usually love those things but I just couldn't sit there and listen to them talk about the movie like it was so great. It felt so forced.
slyslayer3000
Gold Classic Collection

Post by slyslayer3000 »

Kyle wrote:
slyslayer3000 wrote:While a disappointing effort, I kinda like Cars 2. I consider it a decent film with a few laughs here and there.
Sure, I don't think too many people would say it wasn't good for a few laughs, but that's about it. It certainly wasn't up to par with even their weakest film. For the first time I just couldn't bring myself to finish the commentary. I usually love those things but I just couldn't sit there and listen to them talk about the movie like it was so great. It felt so forced.
I guess we can't blame Lasseter and his ridiculous love for cars and car culture. He always speaks highly of the Cars franchise to a point where he comes across as a tad too superficial. Makes me wonder how he gets away with creating the sequel, which (for me) seems like too personal a project - a vanity project, to put it bluntly.

Like I said, if we just view Cars 2 for what it is without thinking about why it's even made or how incoherent it is to its predecessor or how unpopular it is among film critics or how it ranks among other Pixar films, we'll find an entertaining film with awesome action set-pieces, visually appealing locations, detailed animation (as always), and a satisfying climax-conclusion (considering its scope). While not strong on the character department (the main reason for my disappointment), you root and care enough for Mater to have an emotional connection with him. Come to think of it, this isn't supposed to be the heartwarming kind of film. What do you expect from an action comedy spy film? Do Pixar films really need to make you cry for it to be considered well-made? And the whole scene where Finn McMissile fakes his death at the beginning? Tastefully done.

Okay, I don't want to be branded as the forum's ultimate Cars 2 defender or whatever but my point here is many people (I think) are too quick to dismiss Cars 2 and join the "Pixar sucks after Toy Story 3" bandwagon.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

It's not so much that 'Pixar sucks' just they have lost a bit of their legendary status I suppose with the sequels etc. Cars came the first questionable reviews from the public and critics ... Then when the sequel came it was a bit of an eye roll reaction of sorts.

And bar TS3, the movies have been solid in the last few years, but not as wonderful as before. Disney have indeed, I feel, outdone them in recent years.
rexcrk
Anniversary Edition

Post by rexcrk »

They went a little downhill for me since Toy Story 3, but that might be biased because, honestly, I thought Toy Story 3 was an absolute masterpiece.

Cars 2 was just ok, not as terrible as people make it out to be (I felt the same way about Cars, which I loved, but the sequel wasn't as good). And Brave was kind of "meh" in my opinion. I saw it once though, I should watch it again. Monsters University was better than both of those two though.

Hopefully they'll pick up again.
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Pixar has not lost it's way, they're just having problems with "The Good Dinosuar". I knew something was up when a teaser for it wasn't out with MU. Pixar always releases a 1minute teaser for their new films a year in advance. For me personally, i'm glad the next film from them will be "Inside Out". After seeing stuff from D23, i'm sold on that film. Someone at D23 recorded on their phone Joy's facial expressions and posted it on Youtube. I downloaded it & the next day, it was removed. With only "Big Hero 6" & the Planes sequeal in 2014, maybe Disney will push for a Theatrical Release for "Tinkerbell & the Pirate Fairy".
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

In answer to the thread title's question: YES.

I disagree with the article's suggestion that WALL-E was Pixar's peak; I consider Up to be their finest hour. Whenever I hear from the vocal minority of critics, I am baffled by their issues with it - since when do humour and emotion not go well together in a Pixar film? It's the standard formula, and it works better than ever in Up. The story and characters are also the finest Pixar has ever put together. Since then, quality has been noticeably deteriorating. TS3 is excellent, but heavily reliant upon the first two films, and not one of Pixar's greatest.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Different strokes.

Ratatouille is to me, easily their finest hour. I could watch that over and over again and never get bored. It's simply perfect in my opinion.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

PatrickvD wrote:Different strokes.
Different strokes indeed. I'd watch Cars 2 over Toy Story 3 any day, though I don't really enjoy either all that much.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Everyone on this board knows that I actually like "Cars 2", so I shan't repeat myself too much. However, I do admit that "Cars 2" is less sophisticated than Pixar's other works. Either way, I think Pixar is overrated. They never made a bad movie on their "glory days", but many of their movies weren't that outstanding (at least for me) as the everybody wanted them be. The first "Toy Story", "A Bugs Life" (despite that it's flawed), "Finding Nemo" and "Up" were movies that deserved the praise. And yes, I actually shall confess that I like "Cars" as well, because of it's charm and fun characters. The other Pixar flicks ("Toy Story 2", "Monsters Inc", "The Incredibles", "Ratatouille", "Wall-E" and "Toy Story 3") were okay, but highly overrated. Pixar has always been praised for their stories, but their stories weren't flawless. "The Incredibles" could have had a more fleshed out story at some parts, while "Ratatouille" just drags the story. Heck, Pixar never ever made a compelling villain. Lotso in "Toy Story 3", who showed some signs of complexity, was a pretty lackluster villain. And even Muntz in my favorite Pixar flick, "Up", wasn't needed.

However, since I haven't seen "Monsters University" yet, I can't say anything about it. But I've seen a change since "Cars 2". Although I liked "Brave", there's no denial that the storyline is flawed (although I have the proof that the bear-storyline was a part from the get-go) and should had been more consistent. Which is a pity, since the first half of "Brave" was really good and could have been among Pixar's greatest work.