Pixar's Brave - Part II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

(You messed up the quote on that - I didn't say that, Wondy did.) Regardless though, I agree to an extent. Pixar has its haters, that's for sure.

But this movie I think is more interesting that than, in that I think it will turn a lot of people that haven't been fans of Pixar into fans, and also some people that love Pixar, like yourself, will not be as impressed by this one.

Since Brave is such a departure from the norm at Pixar, it's this totally weird new thing happening, and people seem to be unsure how to take it. In my case, for instance... I've always recognized that Pixar makes amazing films and that they are the frontrunner in animation right now. But even so, I've still enjoyed Disney's films more, for the most part, just because I like the stories that Disney tells more. Now with Brave, which is very much the "kind of story" that I'm drawn to, I'm genuinely really excited (as in, counting down the days, desperately waiting for new clips and whatnot to pass the time until release) for a Pixar film for the first time.

And yet, while some people are SO excited about Brave (and for good reason), it seems there are just as many people that are "mehhhhh" about it, and they're also able to give solid reasons as to why.

Regardless of how anyone feels, Brave is certainly an interesting film to follow. I'll be looking forward to people's reactions once they actually see the film.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

DisneyDude2010 wrote: Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and my option is I don't think Brave has the "Pixar Magic" we've seen in Wall-e, Toy Story and even Cars.
Don't you mean the Pixar Essence! Sorry, I just had to! :P
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

In my case, there are many reasons why I am looking forward to this movie so much. First, after I thought Toy Story 3 was kind of "eh" and Cars 2 was just a let down (though I liked it better than most people did), Brave looks to be something special and unique (similarities to other stories aside). Second, I love the Disney Princess movies, and I always wondered how Pixar would create their own princess story. Third, I love fairy tales, especially darker takes on them, and again, this looks to be a very interesting take on that concept. Fourth, I want to see how the Princess/Queen relationship evolves. Fifth, I honestly think Merida is going to be a very fascinating character to see grow and evolve along with the story. Finally, I think it will be a good movie in the end.

I mean, the movie means so much to me right now that I outright quit Tumblr and erased it from my bookmarks because I didn't want the insane community to drive it to the ground with insane praise and make me hate it without even giving it a chance.

I just think that both sides are right regarding Brave. Yes, it is FAR from the most original movie ever made (something the insane fangirls are claiming it is), and it is unfair to say Merida is the best princess because she does things slightly differently. But at the same time it will be a brand new, ORIGINAL story not based on an existing fairy tale that actually indulges in the culture, fantasy and myth of Scotland rather than an Americanized interpretation of it (which is what How to Train Your Dragon was, as much as I adore that movie).

Long story short, Brave seems to be a fitting return to experimental movies for Pixar after two sequels I thought were kind of a let down.
ImageImageImageImage

Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

New featurette! (Man as the release date gets closer, they keep showing things that look better and better). Oh and Brenda Chapman is in the featurette as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ7kmkWUM5E
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh don't worry pap, I'm actually against "the heroe's journey" TV tropes originality-shredding sentients, I know this has plenty of originality, but I had to point out that a lot of what people are going to seem to love about this film and specifically Merida sounds like they took exactly what made Ariel (and other princesses, but mainly Ariel) so popular. Except not the energetic cutesy fun personality. So it feels like they copied, even if subconsciously.
DisneyDude2010 wrote: Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and my option is I don't think Brave has the "Pixar Magic" we've seen in Wall-e, Toy Story and even Cars.
Never, EVER say those two words together again!
singerguy04 wrote:Don't you mean the Pixar Essence! Sorry, I just had to! :P
That one's fine...
Last edited by Disney Duster on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Tristy wrote:New featurette!
Thank you! I was very surprised to see Chapman since she hasn't done any official press for the movie so far.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

Well it's at least good to see that they're still giving her credit. After all it is still very much her story.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Tristy wrote:New featurette! (Man as the release date gets closer, they keep showing things that look better and better). Oh and Brenda Chapman is in the featurette as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ7kmkWUM5E
Finally a behind-the-scenes featurette! I loved it!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyFan09 wrote:Finally a behind-the-scenes featurette!
It's not the first. There was another shorter one.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:
DisneyFan09 wrote:Finally a behind-the-scenes featurette!
It's not the first. There was another shorter one.
Yeah, but it was so short that I didn't consider it to be valid.
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

not sure if this got mentioned in the other thread, but is merida the first born-princess to have an actual mother, not a step mother? [tiana did, but she wasnt a princess til the end]
big kid at heart
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

'Brave' A Dozen Stunning New Hi-Res Stills
http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-brave-stills-20972/
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

sunhuntin wrote:not sure if this got mentioned in the other thread, but is merida the first born-princess to have an actual mother, not a step mother? [tiana did, but she wasnt a princess til the end]
What about Princess Aurora?
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Saw this journal at the Disney Store today, thinking about picking it up:

There's a matching pen set too:

This was a welcome sight; I miss the days when they carried more "nice" merchandise like this.
NeverLand
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeverLand »

^
^

I have purchased some Brave products from Disney Store before one week.

Brave Bear Plush Toy -- 23'' H
With 3 Mini Cubs Brave Plush Toy -- 7'' H & 8' H

Brave Journal

Merida Archery Set Bow & Arrows

Medium Hungry Cub Brave Plush Toy -- 13'' H

Little thief stole my M&M's :D

Last edited by NeverLand on Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

^Nice! :D
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Are the bow and arrow set just a toy, or can they be used for actual archery?

Probably a silly question, but it looks pretty nice.
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
sunhuntin wrote:not sure if this got mentioned in the other thread, but is merida the first born-princess to have an actual mother, not a step mother? [tiana did, but she wasnt a princess til the end]
What about Princess Aurora?
ahhh, thats right. forgot about her, lol.

i love those bear plush toys. was looking at them online and they didnt appeal, but in your photos they look totally adorable! love the m&m theif. too cute!
big kid at heart
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Neverland, wow, iiiimpressive!!!! The most impressive one being the actual bow and arrows from the film!!!!

So for the bear cubs...I know that in the movie they're actually supposed to be the three, well...anyway, did you just buy three of the same one?
nachonaco
Special Edition

Post by nachonaco »

sunhuntin wrote:
DisneyFan09 wrote: What about Princess Aurora?
ahhh, thats right. forgot about her, lol.

i love those bear plush toys. was looking at them online and they didnt appeal, but in your photos they look totally adorable! love the m&m theif. too cute!
And Ariel? Rapunzel?
Man has a dream
And that's the start
He follows his dream
With mind and heart
And when it becomes a reality
It's a dream come true
For you and me!