Pixar's Brave - Part II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Exclusive Images and Descriptions of the Wisps and the Witch from BRAVE

Oh Brave, I’m so excited to see you. In the void between Game of Thrones seasons, on the heels of the evocative yet unsatisfying Snow White and the Huntsman—I can’t wait to see what Pixar can do with the epic fantasy. So I am proud to share images of what looks to be one of the more fantastical elements of the movie, the wisps. Director Mark Andrews explains the spectral creatures:

“They were said to lead you to treasure or doom—to change your fate—but they’re an actual phenomenon of swamp and bog gas seeping up through the earth and interacting with the natural resources to create the blue flames. People would follow these lights thinking they were little fairies, and basically drown or get sucked down into the bogs.”

Our look at the wisps is just a glimpse (which given their nature may be all we get), but the design is lovely. We also have a very clear look at the Witch (voiced by Julie Walters) along with detailed character descriptions, all after the jump. Brave opens on June 22.

ABOUT THE WISPS

Travelers—particularly those who venture out after sunset on unfamiliar pathways—beware of the will o’ the wisps.

It is said—though by whom is a bit of a mystery—that on certain days for certain travelers in certain parts of the world, little lights dance on the horizon, whispering tempting invitations… pledging the answers to lifelong questions, the realization of dreams, a key to secret treasures—a change of fate.

Charmed and curious, unsuspecting travelers follow the floating lights, mesmerized by their whispers, their promises. Yet no matter how long or how fervently they follow, they never quite touch the beautiful beacons whose flickering lights eventually fade and disappear… leaving the inquisitors, the dreamers and the treasure seekers lost… and alone.

This is Andrew’s full statement on the wisps:

“The will o’ the wisps are in a lot of Scottish folktales. They were said to lead you to treasure or doom—to change your fate—but they’re an actual phenomenon of swamp and bog gas seeping up through the earth and interacting with the natural resources to create the blue flames. People would follow these lights thinking they were little fairies, and basically drown or get sucked down into the bogs.

We made the wisps like actual little spirits. They’re almost like Marley’s ghost in a way, because Marley’s ghost isn’t an evil spirit—even though he’s frightening, he’s trying to warn Ebenezer to change his ways. That’s what the wisps are doing. There’s a duality to them, because they’re either good or evil—they lead Merida into more and more trouble, but in the end, they’ve led her exactly where she needs to go.”

ABOUT THE WITCH

Deep in the overgrown Highland forest, a ramshackle blackhouse cottage is home to the Crafty Carver. This seemingly harmless, eccentric and long-in-the-tooth crone specializes in the whittling of wooden bear trinkets, figurines and curios. But the mysterious recluse is more than meets the eye. When Merida sees through the guise and reveals her as the Witch she truly is, Merida begs for a magical solution to her problems. The Witch begrudgingly gives in, conjuring a haphazard spell with an obscure riddle, which hold Merida’s fate in the balance.

visit the link for HQ renders

http://collider.com/brave-images-wisps-witch/171332/
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

New viral ad:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/disney/brave/

OK. Disney we get it! You like to advertise your (and Pixar's) fairy tale films to make them seem like Shrek! You know by this point people are tired of THAT series. I mean the new clips are cool, but the music has got to go! And also that kilt joke is getting extremely old.
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

The wisps are so cute! They're a little like the Kodama in Princess Mononoke.
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Re: MU

Post by TheValentineBros »

pixar123 wrote:
pixar123 wrote:Mark my words,Monsters University teaser trailer will be online on 8 JUNE!!!
sorry,this is wrong message. see it on 20 june!!!

I thought we got rid of that guy.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm pretty sure Pixar intentionally made Merida look ugly/plain/not beautiful for two reasons. First because Pixar never makes any of their characters particularly beautiful, and second, so they could boast/escape criticism by having a female character who you can never say was objectified for beauty or her looks mattered.

That said her being pretty shouldn't matter in her being a Disney Princess. Her being Pixar and not a Disney Princess should be reason why she should not be a Disney Princess.

One thing I'm wondering though is why in all the storybooks for this film, the pictures that can't be CGI still look just like the film, while the ones for Tangled hardly looked like the film and looked really terrible actually. I wondered if it was because Disney wanted their illustrations to look even more like painted illustrations and all storybooky because it's Disney and also a storybook fairy tale, but the designs in the Tangled books didn't look right aside from also the crappy painted style.
Wonderlicious wrote:Erm, excuse me? I do not appreciate being called a jerk when I'm certainly not one; it's quite frankly insulting. What I wrote was simply meant to be a satirical take on the "original/unoriginal" arguments going on. Nothing intentionally mean or spiteful, as far as I'm concerned anyway. Are you looking to cause arguments? Seriously, behave yourself and don't be so needlessly reactionary. :headshake:
Hey, you did something I found insulting.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Disney Duster wrote:I'm pretty sure Pixar intentionally made Merida look ugly/plain/not beautiful for two reasons.
You're the only one saying she's ugly. Just drop it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It reminds me of the Tangled viral video Rapunzhair.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

You can also now officially listen to samples of the soundtrack on the official website. It sounds good so far.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

PatrickvD wrote:You're the only one saying she's ugly.
There have been a lot of people who have called her ugly. If I remember right, I was one of the few people who defended the design when it was first released. So I really don't think Duster is the only one.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

^It merely requires warming up to-nothing a 9 yr old girl would be willing to do.

I still dont really like the hair. It's clearly for her free spirit, but it makes Hermione Granger(in the books) look straight and smooth.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Tristy wrote:You can also now officially listen to samples of the soundtrack on the official website. It sounds good so far.
Agreed. I especially love "The song of Mor'du"
NeverLand
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeverLand »

Brave [Soundtrack] by Patrick Doyle - Samples

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EyBJkWJFIUI?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EyBJkWJFIUI?ve ... n_GB&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Download Mp3:
https://hotfile.com/dl/159067607/2917a5 ... s.mp3.html
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

NeverLand wrote:Brave [Soundtrack] by Patrick Doyle - Samples:

https://hotfile.com/dl/159067607/2917a5 ... s.mp3.html
Thank you!!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Patrick Doyle!? Now I gotta Listen to this!
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

omg, those samplers were amazing. i cant wait to hear the whole songs, especially the one with the bagpipes and the singer at the end. blonde, but what language is she singing in? its beautiful.
big kid at heart
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

To add to the "Merida is ugly" debate, here are my further thoughts on the matter...

The reason many people saying that she is "ugly" is because Merida has been designed to resemble a teenage girl and NOT the typical hyper-beautiful fairy tale princess made to be commercial. Even Ariel, who is pretty much the wildest teenager of the bunch, is made to be beautiful, complete with her long, neatly combed red hair, sea shell bras and tiny waist.

Merida, on the other hand, is being sold on her personality and spirit and not her looks. Her eyes are small and natural (as in, no defining eyebrows, mascara or eye shadow), her hair is very messy and wild and her proportions are not exaggerated to make her seem like the ideal vision of beauty.

Even her dolls and face character at the Disney parks have been presented as being natural. Because many of us grew up with the Disney Princesses, we expect other characters to be similarly beautiful. Merida is one of those rare female characters where she is being sold on her personality and imperfections rather than being an idealized vision of human beauty.

So she is definitely not ugly, she is just a character that isn't about how she looks but how she ACTS.
ImageImageImageImage

Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yea I already said Pixar is trying to make themselves look good by having their first heroine princess be all about how she acts and not how she looks at all, but she's still ugly. If people don't think she's ugly, I am surprised. I feel you're you're not being honest, that you're all trying to see her as pretty as you can make her.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

^ If beauty is based on one's perception, I don't understand why you're beating it into our heads that Merida's ugly.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

Disney Duster wrote:Yea I already said Pixar is trying to make themselves look good by having their first heroine princess be all about how she acts and not how she looks at all, but she's still ugly. If people don't think she's ugly, I am surprised. I feel you're you're not being honest, that you're all trying to see her as pretty as you can make her.
If you're going to call her ugly, you should call her brothers ugly as well. She and them have the same head except her hair is much longer.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Duster.