Pixar's Brave - Part II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Just wonder, Pokeholic_Prince; Do you have an account on Imdb?
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

qindarka wrote:
Glad you liked the movie, especially as I didn't think you were too fond of Pixar. Regarding the bit with the clan lord's son kissing her hand, I've read elsewhere that Merida was originally intended to hook up with one of them before it was excised from the story. I suppose this part could have been what remained from that earlier conception.
i made a point of watching that bit carefully. the boy is all over meridas arm, while his father is all over fergus. whether that means anything, i dont know, but both redheads seemed very reluctant lol.

the 3rd viewing was well worth it. i can say i saw more detail in 2d, on a poorer quality screen. the most noticible would have been the details in merida and elinors dresses. the sparkly beading etc didnt show up well on the 3d.

im enjoying this movie more with each screening, but unless its still showing in 2 weeks, its unlikely i will see it again on the big screen. school holidays and the cinema was fairly full, even at 6.30 on a cold winter night. the kids seemed to receive it well, and i think a teenage girl the next aisle over was crying through most of it, lol. i think it will be very popular and do well here.
even la luna seemed to be enjoyed by all, especially where they show the cresent moon. for some reason that short just makes me feel happy inside. its very pleasent.
big kid at heart
Pokeholic_Prince
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokeholic_Prince »

DisneyFan09 wrote:Just wonder, Pokeholic_Prince; Do you have an account on Imdb?
Why, yes I do. I usually post my reviews from my blog there. I used to use it regularly on the Tangled boards.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

Disney Duster wrote:
RyGuy wrote:Similarly, Merida saw how ferocious her mom was in protecting her against Mor'du and I think she also began to understand why her mom felt the need to train her in all the ways of court - which skills she did need during the throne room scene described above.
Sounds interesting but I'm afraid I don't quite get this. How does her mother doing this show how her royalty skills were used at all and good for Merida?
RyGuy wrote:I saw the movie three times this past weekend. I found the story, though simple, to be very engaging. I also found myself reflecting a number of times on my relationship with my parents and my relationship with my kids, both considering WHY my parents might have done some of the things they did while I was growing up, and critically examining how hard I can be on my kids at times.
Wow! You sound like a great dad, really, and I'm also so glad that you and I agreed on a lot in our reviews, even both seeing it more than once, too.
I didn't explain myself very well. It was two separate things. Merida saw the ferocity of her mother's love that she would take on Mor'du in order to protect her.

Then, I think when she had to utilize diplomacy skills in order to sneak her mom up the stairs to retrieve the tapestry I think she might have seen the value in having them and perhaps understood why her mother had pushed so hard for Merida to master them (remember the scene where she's on the floor and her mom tells her to project because she has to be heard from every place in the room or it's all for naught?)

Obviously these things are speculation on my part :)

And thanks for your compliment on my parenting - it's kind of you to say that!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Pokeholic_Prince wrote:
DisneyFan09 wrote:Just wonder, Pokeholic_Prince; Do you have an account on Imdb?
Why, yes I do. I usually post my reviews from my blog there. I used to use it regularly on the Tangled boards.
Okay. I don't remember you from the Tangled boards, but I saw that you posted the same opinion on Brave on the Imdb.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

I'm leaving right now to see Brave with my mom. I'll tell you what I think when I get home.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

So, unlucky me lives in Maryland, and the storm hit us on Friday. So, of course, the movie theaters have no power. I have to wait until Wednesday now. :(
Pokeholic_Prince
Gold Classic Collection

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Pokeholic_Prince wrote: Why, yes I do. I usually post my reviews from my blog there. I used to use it regularly on the Tangled boards.
Okay. I don't remember you from the Tangled boards, but I saw that you posted the same opinion on Brave on the Imdb.
Yeah, I didn't post very often. That was when I had gotten an IMDb account.
Pokeholic_Prince
Gold Classic Collection

disneyprincess11 wrote:So, unlucky me lives in Maryland, and the storm hit us on Friday. So, of course, the movie theaters have no power. I have to wait until Wednesday now. :(
Oh that sucks, hopefully everything else is fine. Looking forward to reading what you think.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Pokeholic_Prince wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:So, unlucky me lives in Maryland, and the storm hit us on Friday. So, of course, the movie theaters have no power. I have to wait until Wednesday now. :(
Oh that sucks, hopefully everything else is fine. Looking forward to reading what you think.
Thanks! Thankfully, we didn't lose anyt power and we are safe. In fact, my theatre rehearsal got cancelled b/c we lost power at the school we're doing it at, so we might try again tomorrow. Turns out my mall and its movie theater has power. :)
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, I knew that's what you meant before RyGuy, I just didn't know if her mother's "ferocity" later was something you also considered part of it (learning from her daughter?). In all honesty her mother displayed control and power over all the men in earlier scenes. And yea I really think that about your thoughts on parenting.
sunhuntin wrote:theres no obvious "bad guy". even Mordu can't be considered a villain; had merida not fallen through the roof, he might have stayed there for another 100 years.
I get you don't think there really was a villain, I agree, but...what? Mordu was seen at the beginning of the film. He came out of the ruins before and probably did all the time.
sunhuntin wrote:
qindarka wrote:Glad you liked the movie, especially as I didn't think you were too fond of Pixar. Regarding the bit with the clan lord's son kissing her hand, I've read elsewhere that Merida was originally intended to hook up with one of them before it was excised from the story. I suppose this part could have been what remained from that earlier conception.
I made a point of watching that bit carefully. the boy is all over Merida's arm, while his father is all over Fergus. whether that means anything, I dont know, but both redheads seemed very reluctant lol.
Yea I'm not fond of Pixar but they do make some undeniably good movies to watch. Thanks to the both of you. I feel like either of those things could indicate he did win her heart, except I'd have to pay attention to see if Merida looks happy at all about him. She could just be kind of surprised but still like him.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Disney Duster wrote:
sunhuntin wrote:theres no obvious "bad guy". even Mordu can't be considered a villain; had merida not fallen through the roof, he might have stayed there for another 100 years.
I get you don't think there really was a villain, I agree, but...what? Mordu was seen at the beginning of the film. He came out of the ruins before and probably did all the time.
Mordu was more of an antagonist. Antagonist isn't always means it's a villain.

Mordu was more or less cursed and was trapped in animal instincts. You can tell that because Merida's mother was at few points in the movie was unconsciously slowly transforming into a full time bear losing any humanity in her. Like when she really acted like a bear and growled at Merida in the forest..

Because Mordu was trapped as a bear for years and years, when the bear did died, you can tell the spirit of Mordu was finally seems to be at peace and thanking them for releasing him from the bear.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yea...that's why I said I agree that there was no villain. It's okay, you misunderstood me. I was asking why sunhuntin thought that Mordu was not a villain for being in the ruins for 100 years, especially when he hadn't been there for 100 years since he left the ruins in the beginning when Merida was about 5 years old and now she's like 16.
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

Disney Duster wrote:Yea...that's why I said I agree that there was no villain. It's okay, you misunderstood me. I was asking why sunhuntin thought that Mordu was not a villain for being in the ruins for 100 years, especially when he hadn't been there for 100 years since he left the ruins in the beginning when Merida was about 5 years old and now she's like 16.
i meant he may have stayed there another 100 years after the opening attack. we have no idea when his curse was cast, how long he had been in the ruins before he attacked fergus, whether he had left the ruins between then and when merida fell through the ceiling. if merida hadnt fallen through, he may have never reappeared in her lifetime, if at all. judging by the condition of the ruins, it was hundreds of years ago when his transformation took place.
mordu was not a villain. as SA said, he was trapped by his instincts as a bear, just as elinor gave in to hers in places.
his death was very nicely portrayed, with the release of his spirit and turning into a wisp. makes me wonder if the other wisps were also cursed souls released.
big kid at heart
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

So you're saying him living there a while, not attacking, is part of showing he's not a villain but just following bear instincts?
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

pretty much, yeh. a villain to me is someone like the many evil stepmothers who set out make their step daughters lives miserable. if elinor had succumbed completely to her bear instincts and also attacked fergus with as much ferocity, can she be considered a villain?
big kid at heart
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

sunhuntin wrote:pretty much, yeh. a villain to me is someone like the many evil stepmothers who set out make their step daughters lives miserable. if elinor had succumbed completely to her bear instincts and also attacked fergus with as much ferocity, can she be considered a villain?
I'd say just call Mordu an anatogonist and make it a day.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Well, I saw Brave last night with my mom and all I can say is that I loved it. It was great and I don't see why critics were complaining. It was a really strong, heartfelt Pixar movie. I do have 2 complains, but they're spoilers and I don't know how to change the font color.
SillySymphony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SillySymphony »

I know it's been rumored on a bunch of sites where the Pizza Planet truck was, but I never got proof of picture.
Now that I know where for certain I can understand how I missed it in the 3D movie. (That scene was so dark I had to squint!)

Easters Egg Pics in Brave: http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/easter-e ... d-in-brave
Locations of the Pizza Planet truck and Sully.
theCat'sOut/Flowers&Trees/theFlyingMouse/theSkeletonDance/theThreeLittlePigs
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

I saw it a week ago with my oldest daughter. I really enjoyed it. The animation was so beautiful and at times, very very realistic.

I do agree on antagonist vs villain. Mordu for the most part seemed to act like a typical grizzly bear. He wasn't attacking the castle. He only seemed to attack when they were out in or near the woods...aka, bear country. Add on that, he seemed to be an immortal bear, so many many years of bad experiences with humans so once he knew humans were in or near his territory, he made it a point to attack them. This is sometimes that truly does and can happen with real animals. Either wild animals stay away from humans all together out of fear or they defend their lives and territories with savagery. That all depends on the animal's personality. Add into that, that originally Mordu was a greedy human and its a mixture of bad to come.

I think the immortality and constant fights though did a number on his soul. Even though the bear's mind took over, its obvious the human mind/soul is still ever present, just trapped and buried deeper and deeper, unable to control the wild bear side. Which is why it was so important for Merida to break the spell ASAP before her mother shared Mordu's fate.

In the end when released, he bowed a thank you to Merida....No villain thanks the hero at the end.