Pixar's Brave - Part II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Re: Pixar's Brave - Part II

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Finding Nemo, Toy Story 3 and Cars 2 were the best :lol:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Reese Witherspoon Shares Why She Didn't Voice Merida in 'Brave'
http://www.pixarpost.com/2017/01/reese- ... erida.html
In a recent interview (which aired on ITV's daytime show Lorraine), Reese Witherspoon and Matthew McConaughey were promoting their animated film, Sing!, when the discussion of accents came up and Reese shared her exit from a film due to a poor accent performance with a chuckle and some apprehension on her voice.

"I tried to do a Scottish accent once, it was bad. I had to quit the movie. It's not my finest moment." - Reese Witherspoon
Here's the moment in the video where she says that: https://youtu.be/Ee-dF8U4Utk?t=106
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

I can't believe I never noticed that before. Pixar blatantly stole a joke from WDAS. :shock:

Source: http://dark-knight020.tumblr.com/post/163440819746
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

Sotiris wrote:I can't believe I never noticed that before. Pixar blatantly stole a joke from WDAS. :shock:

Source: http://dark-knight020.tumblr.com/post/163440819746
Are you sure it's not just a massive coincidence?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Watched this again today. While I don't think it's particularly good, I don't think it's as bad as people say. I watched it with something I read elsewhere in mind - that there's a tenderness you don't often see in animated films, especially not in Pixar films. I actually don't think the story is that much different than Frozen's, I actually think there are some things it does better than Frozen like having the story actually revolve around the mother and daughter relationship and not add an underdeveloped love interest, however Frozen is a spectacle so of course it's more beloved.
I know not many like this film but some part of me like it maybe because it kind of reminds me of ASOIAF, especially the setting. I can understand what Brenda Chapman was going for even if it got messy by another director.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I think this film suffers from the fact that it's not recognized as one of Pixar's best but it's not even one of its most infamous like the Cars films. The Disney Princess franchise and fairy tale elements also make people sorta dismiss it because they don't associate that with Pixar as much. I never hated this film but I do distinctly remember having very high expectations for it, considering it was a Pixar product and because I love fairy tales, and I walked out of the theater feeling very disappointed because it simply wasn't the best. I think it would be better regarded if almost any other studio made it but as a Pixar film, it was sufficiently lacking. I really wish Brenda Chapman could have delivered her untainted version of the film because we really don't get much mother-daughter stories in animation, or I suppose blockbuster films in general.

The setting is gorgeous and I love the music. The Pixar heads are a bit oddly shaped because this isn't a film that can be caricatured like other Pixar humans films such as The Incredibles. Audiences have a different expectation when it comes to a period setting that is fantastical but not meant to be zany or outlandish. And I don't have the issues with Merida that other people do but I'm really not a fan of a single male character in the film. All of them act like buffoons and they're clearly just comic relief, not even funny comic relief.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I can get the disappointment, though I wasn't as disappointed as everyone else seems to be... Maybe because I don't come to Pixar films with some sort of expectation. I liked Merida, but I especially liked Elinor. In my opinion she's one of Pixar's best characters. I also really like that she uses the word "naught" in the film.
I don't really care about the male characters or the humor as well.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I LOVE THIS MOVIE, It's a nie out of 10 in my opnion , I just REALLY like Princess movies !! :D :D :D
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote:I can get the disappointment, though I wasn't as disappointed as everyone else seems to be... Maybe because I don't come to Pixar films with some sort of expectation. I liked Merida, but I especially liked Elinor. In my opinion she's one of Pixar's best characters. I also really like that she uses the word "naught" in the film.
I don't really care about the male characters or the humor as well.
The last Pixar film I had seen was Toy Story 3 (I had no interest in Cars 2 and knew next to nothing about it) and that was on the wave of WALL-E and Up, which while I wasn't a huge fan of, I know Up was considered the public's critical darling, so I had really high expectations considering they were finally making the type of film I love, a fairy tale film. Especially since Tangled and TPATF were both disappointments to me, films I didn't really love and didn't match the magic of the Walt era films or the 90s films. I do like Elinor as well but that's in part because I love Emma Thompson, her work in BATB aside lol.
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I loved WALL-E, but never cared for Up and Toy Story 3. Both are about emotional manipulation than actual storytelling (Inside Out as well).
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Another thing I loved about this movie. Fergus may be the war-leader, but it’s Elinor who really runs the country and is the ultimate authority and she is training her daughter to do the same.
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

farerb wrote:I loved WALL-E, but never cared for Up and Toy Story 3. Both are about emotional manipulation than actual storytelling (Inside Out as well).
"Emotional manipulation"? ALL stories are INHERENTLY manipulative of your emotions.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Hardbackyoyo wrote:
farerb wrote:I loved WALL-E, but never cared for Up and Toy Story 3. Both are about emotional manipulation than actual storytelling (Inside Out as well).
"Emotional manipulation"? ALL stories are INHERENTLY manipulative of your emotions.
To me stories should make me feel emotional organically and not try too hard to make me cry. Also 15 minutes of good scenes do not make up for what I feel are mediocre films.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I've heard people say that about Toy Story 3 although I don't quite agree. I suppose it worked for me and my age cohorts who grew up with these films and were in our early teens when the film came out or just about early teens. We weren't quite the college-going students who were children when the first film came out though. I agree about Up though.
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
I've heard people say that about Toy Story 3 although I don't quite agree. I suppose it worked for me and my age cohorts who grew up with these films and were in our early teens when the film came out or just about early teens. We weren't quite the college-going students who were children when the first film came out though. I agree about Up though.
That's the thing. I was exactly in that age. Toy Story 3 came out when I graduated high school. However TBH I was never that into the first two and quite frankly I think the time when you give up your toys comes before going off to college. Also the college experience in my country might be different than the US cause we don't go to a different state, so that might have played a factor.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: I've heard people say that about Toy Story 3 although I don't quite agree. I suppose it worked for me and my age cohorts who grew up with these films and were in our early teens when the film came out or just about early teens. We weren't quite the college-going students who were children when the first film came out though. I agree about Up though.
That's the thing. I was exactly in that age. Toy Story 3 came out when I graduated high school. However TBH I was never that into the first two and quite frankly I think the time when you give up your toys comes before going off to college. Also the college experience in my country might be different than the US cause we don't go to a different state, so that might have played a factor.
Oh that's neat that you were exactly the audience they were catering towards even if you didn't quite love it. I agree though that most college-going students will have given up on toys long before especially in today's technological age but I suppose Woody and Buzz were essentially everyone's toys and thus never really put away. I don't remember if Andy went to college in a different state or not but I think most Americans, including myself, usually go to college in the same state. I don't have stats on that though.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Hardbackyoyo wrote:
That's true. I'm not really a fan of Up overall, but I love the opening and most of the stuff with Carl struggling to let go throughout the film, accepting that objects can't fill the void of his wife. It's the child, the bird, and the dogs that ruin the rest of it for me. I love Toy Story 3 altogether though.

As for Brave, it's one of those films I always felt I should enjoy more than I did. It focuses on two female characters, features a witch, the story is filled with magic and family issues.... Those would normally hit all the marks for me. It even has Emma Thompson as part of the cast, who I'm a fan of. But the whole thing just leaves me cold. I don't like Merida very much. I like Elinor and Fergus more than her (both their designs and their dynamic with one another), but neither Elinor's time as a bear and Fergus' interactions with all the male characters are as funny as the film thinks they are. They're tedious. The buddy roadtrip aspect hampers it a great deal, imo, just like with many of WDAS' Revival films. There's a great film somewhere in there that we were denied. I would've liked to have seen The Bear and the Bow.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Hardbackyoyo wrote:
That's true. I'm not really a fan of Up overall, but I love the opening and most of the stuff with Carl struggling to let go throughout the film, accepting that objects can't fill the void of his wife. It's the child, the bird, and the dogs that ruin the rest of it for me. I love Toy Story 3 altogether though.

As for Brave, it's one of those films I always felt I should enjoy more than I did. It focuses on two female characters, features a witch, the story is filled with magic and family issues.... Those would normally hit all the marks for me. It even has Emma Thompson as part of the cast, who I'm a fan of. But the whole thing just leaves me cold. I don't like Merida very much. I like Elinor and Fergus more than her (both their designs and their dynamic with one another), but neither Elinor's time as a bear and Fergus' interactions with all the male characters are as funny as the film thinks they are. They're tedious. The buddy roadtrip aspect hampers it a great deal, imo, just like with many of WDAS' Revival films. There's a great film somewhere in there that we were denied. I would've liked to have seen The Bear and the Bow.
I don't really have much to add right now, just that I agree with you 100% here.

I was just at Andy's age when Toy Story 3 came out, and graduated high school that May. The movie did hit home to me, and was my favorite of the three for the longest time. Now, I tend to prefer the (relative) simplicity of the first, but I still do like the third. I do agree that it gets a bit excessive by the end, especially the incinerator scene, but the goodbye still gets me.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I wouldn't be surprised if they chose to make Andy college-age going into 3 for the precise reason that it would be roundabout the same age most of the children who grew up with the first TS would be.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"