Phineas and Ferb: The Theatrical Movie

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Phineas and Ferb: The Theatrical Movie

Post by Sotiris »

Theatrical 'Phineas & Ferb' Movie Confirmed
http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=73123
Following the success of the television film Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension--which scored more than 7 million viewers during its premiere--, Disney is now officially moving forward with plans for a theatrical movie based off of their hit cartoon series. According to ComingSoon.net, the film is set to hit the big screen on July 26th, 2013 and it's reported to be a mix of live-action and animation.
'Phineas and Ferb' Movie Gets the 'Toy Story' Treatment
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/ ... isney.html
Disney is hiring Michael Arndt to write a draft of the script, said a person familiar with the movie who was not authorized to talk about it publicly. Arndt brings some heat--he's of course the writer of "Toy Story 3," for which he was nominated for an Oscar, and also won an Academy Award for writing "Little Miss Sunshine" back in 2007.

The initial "Phineas and Ferb" script has been written by show creators Swampy Marsh and Dan Povenmire, who have spent recent months working on that script and continue to work on the show. Unlike "Toy Story"--and the cable series itself--the "Phineas and Ferb" movie will be a mix of live action and animation. A Disney spokesman could not immediately be reached for comment.

Although the plotline for the "Phineas and Ferb" movie is still being developed, the film is becoming a priority at Disney. The project will now be produced by Mandeville Films, the company behind another upcoming Disney tent pole, "The Muppets."

Disney has been working to turn the property into its next big marketing vehicle: In June 2010 it revved up plans to retail as many as 200 Phineas and Ferb-related items.

The show continues to prove its popularity with solid weekly ratings, while a "Phineas and Ferb" television movie drew nearly 8 million viewers this summer.
Last edited by Sotiris on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

so... which studio will be working on this? Could it be possible that this is why there doesn't seem to be any hand drawn films in the works? Maybe they'll be working on this!
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

... and it's reported to be a mix of live-action and animation.
Somehow, I don't like the sound of that. While I'm thrilled that Phineas and Ferb is getting a theatrical movie, I don't think that it would work as a live-action/animation hybrid. This is coming from a guy who's seen his fair share of live-action/animation hybrids. :(

Well, Disney, if you truly are hopping the band wagon with live-action adaptations of cartoons, at least don't ruin this opportunity by throwing in hip-hop nonsense and toilet humor. And keep your characters IN character. PLEASE! That's the main reason why a lot of live-action/animated films based on classic cartoons are shitty.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

DisneyJedi wrote:
... and it's reported to be a mix of live-action and animation.
Somehow, I don't like the sound of that. While I'm thrilled that Phineas and Ferb is getting a theatrical movie, I don't think that it would work as a live-action/animation hybrid. This is coming from a guy who's seen his fair share of live-action/animation hybrids. :(

Well, Disney, if you truly are hopping the band wagon with live-action adaptations of cartoons, at least don't ruin this opportunity by throwing in hip-hop nonsense and toilet humor. And keep your characters IN character. PLEASE! That's the main reason why a lot of live-action/animated films based on classic cartoons are shitty.
Isn't P&F full of hip-hop nonsense and toilet humor already? :? :? :? I'm for one excited about the 2D/3D mix. I have a feeling it's going to be just like Fat Albert/Enchanted. Plus, with the guy who wrote the script for TS3 will write a script for this, this will be awesome!

Hey, at least it isn't like the upcoming 3 Strooges movie where they're chilling out with the Jersey Shore people....and I'm not making that up.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

disneyprincess11 wrote: Isn't P&F full of hip-hop nonsense and toilet humor already? :? :? :?
No, it isn't! :x Well... at least on the part about toilet humor. At least, I don't recall any toilet humor in the show.
disneyprincess11 wrote:I'm for one excited about the 2D/3D mix. I have a feeling it's going to be just like Fat Albert/Enchanted. Plus, with the guy who wrote the script for TS3 will write a script for this, this will be awesome!
Yeah, an Enchanted approach does sound for the best. Hopefully, it will go that route. I'd rather it be like that than like the ones that other studios are doing.

Right, Garfield, Alvin, Smurfs and Yogi? :evil:

And as for it being awesome, it better be! Or else...
disneyprincess11 wrote:Hey, at least it isn't like the upcoming 3 Strooges movie where they're chilling out with the Jersey Shore people....and I'm not making that up.

Oh, my God! That's an even WORSE concept! :angry:
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Since Dan Povenmire and Jeff Marsh wrote the screenplay, I'm pretty sure the characters will still be themselves.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
BwayJ
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BwayJ »

Michael Arndt of "Toy Story 3" is joining the project.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/writer ... erb-movie/
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Producers David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman Talk about the 'Phineas & Ferb' Movie
http://collider.com/david-hoberman-todd ... ie/124987/
Q: What’s really bubbling up, or stuff that you’re really excited about?

Lieberman: We’re really excited about Phineas and Ferb that we’re doing at Disney. It’s a television show that my son found three years ago. I started watching with him, then I started watching it without him. Disney is very excited about it. It seems like it could be a ton of fun to do.

Hoberman: We’re going to do it animation/live-action. So it will be a hybrid. And we’ve never done that before! What we like to try to do is stuff we’ve never done before.

Q: Do you guys have a director or a screenwriter on that thing?

Lieberman: Dan Povenmire and Swampy Marsh, the creators of the show, wrote the draft. They’re busy now running their show, so we brought Michael Arndt on for a few weeks to do some work. We’re in script development right now. No director yet.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Am I the only one still kind of dreading this idea? I mean, it does sound promising, but I can't exactly see it like a few certain live-action/animated hybrids. And I don't mean the likes of Cool World, Who Framed Roger Rabbit or Enchanted. :(
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

"It would be like Roger Rabbit, where we'd keep those characters and put them in the real world," he said, referencing Zemeckis' 1988 Who Framed Roger Rabbit animation-hybrid classic. "But the show is truly brilliant, the humor, the irreverence, and it's something that we're thrilled to be a part of, seems like a great opportunity." Sounds like it's in good hands.
Source: http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/produc ... ybrid-mix/

That sort of leaves me relieved. :) Hopefully, it means that the PnF characters remain hand-drawn, even in the real world. I can't exactly imagine them attempting to pull off Phineas's design in live-action, even with CG, which would make it look even more awkward.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

As a fan of the show, I'm not at all excited about this. I feel Disney is milking the cash cow here again and they are going to take a very strong franchise and ruin it. Mixing live-action just feel like a mistake to me, but we'll see.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
BwayJ
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BwayJ »

As long as it has musical numbers in it (if it doesn't become a full-blown musical), I'll be on board.

Plus, they might get cameos/performances/return appearances from the celebrities that like the show (Jane Lynch, Tina Fey, Ben Stiller, etc.), like in the Muppet movies.
fmilton

Post by fmilton »

I just can't believe that they are showing Phineas and Ferb! As in, I can't believe it! It really is one of those shows that you just can't miss. I am actually "older" than the usual crowd here but I still like the cartoon series!

It is just a nice one to watch without that much heavy content in it unlike those others that become a little dragging at some parts.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

BwayJ wrote:As long as it has musical numbers in it (if it doesn't become a full-blown musical), I'll be on board.

Plus, they might get cameos/performances/return appearances from the celebrities that like the show (Jane Lynch, Tina Fey, Ben Stiller, etc.), like in the Muppet movies.
You know, honestly, cameos from celebrities would probably make it seem even more worthwhile. :)
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

DisneyJedi wrote:
BwayJ wrote:As long as it has musical numbers in it (if it doesn't become a full-blown musical), I'll be on board.

You know, honestly, cameos from celebrities would probably make it seem even more worthwhile. :)
Why? It's not the Muppets.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

That hadn't been any announcements for this in a long time. Not even a director and live-action cast announced, so I doubted it would even reach the planned July release date. According to Box Office Mojo, it's been postponed until 2014.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland