What to Expect from DMC

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

What to Expect from DMC

Post by Patrick »

I started this topic because I had a few general questions about DMC and I thought it may be useful for other members who are considering joining. It seems like this section of the forum isn't too active considering there are posts from mid 2011 still on the first page. :P

The DMC website seems a little DIY which makes me slightly weary to continue my membership much longer after purchasing the required titles. The promo code I received with my offer in the mail did not match what was offered when I plugged it in online. In my letter, it reads that I'll receive the first five titles for $1 (total), a sixth title for $11.95 and a seventh for $8.95 (specifically stated they could be either DVD OR blu-ray.) When I entered my code, I could get three blu rays or five DVDs, a fourth or sixth title for $14.95 and a fifth or seventh for $9.95. I called up customer service and after trying two more codes and speaking with a supervisor, we got one that matched the letter I received.

Another thing that was concerning is that all the titles listed in my letter are not featured on the site (i.e. Cars 2 and Monsters Inc. blu-rays.) When I asked about them, I was told the website was undergoing maintenance and they didn't know when it would be fixed. Anyway, here are the more specific questions I have and I believe could be helpful for other new members:

Do the newer releases, which are normally offered with slipcovers, come with them? I joined mainly to convert my Pixar collection to blu-ray and I'm wondering if they will comes with their covers?

Is there really a featured title each month or do they skip some? Will I receive an email asking if I would like to purchase it or is it just a letter in the mail?

Is there a long wait when receiving a refund?

Do the titles you purchase generally come within the four weeks they advertise? Or do they come more quickly / take longer?

Thanks for reading. :)
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

It's disappointing that the you had a difficult time getting the offer code to work. As for titles not being available to order that should be, I've seen that happen from time to time. Titles seem to disappear from the website then reappear. I don't know why. Also, there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why some new releases are offered through the club as preorders, others a few weeks after street date, while others take many weeks or months to become available.

Any newly released movie I've ever received from DMC came with a slipcover when it is expected. Obviously not all movies are made with them but those that are have had them. I have not ordered a title that wasn't newly released, so I can't speak for buying a title that is months or years in release.

There is a featured title every few weeks. It probably averages out to once a month or so. It seems to me that they are more frequent around holiday times and less frequent some other times. I recall reading somewhere on DMC's website a specific number of mailings would be made each year and that you could contact them to have that reduced slightly but not eliminated completely without cancelling your membership.

You will receive a packet in the mail with each featured title and a slew of other inserts. There is a card which you can return to reject the featured title and order others, or you can call or visit the website to do the same. You can view your featured title and make a decision online with or without the mailer. You won't get an email reminder however.

The one time I had to return a dvd it took several weeks to process the refund.

I've never timed how long it took to receive an order I placed, but I know they've always been much faster than four weeks...probably within two weeks. However, I've never accepted a featured title. I've only placed orders of my own choosing.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I've been a member a few times in the last six or seven years. I'd love to fully sing their praise, but I can't. I've had issues with them in the past as well, and even somethings I see currently make me question their ethics.

That said, this latest go-round, I have not had any issues. I ordered my commitment and since have ordered only when I wish to, which isn't as much as I'd like. I have never ordered a featured title, but have never had issue with it. Hitting the decline button has always worked for me so far.

I do feel that their biggest value is the Exclusives, which is all I buy at this point. I bought retail titles as part of the commitment, but since have no interested in doing such. The Exclusives are the only reason I stay and I suspect there are a number of other DMC customers that feel the same. For people thinking of joining, I'd say compare prices and make sure any title you buy is one you really want. But, all-in-all I think the DMC is a good value for certain Disney fans.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I'm waiting for the first order to come in the mail. It shipped a day after I ordered it so I'm assuming it will be here pretty quickly. I wish they offered a tracking number, though.

I'm going to have to call them on Monday because I purchased two bonus titles on my initial order and one of them did not count towards my commitment.

Also, the two titles I was looking for before are now available once I log in. I'm still pretty weary about this site. :lol:

Thanks again.
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

Patrick wrote:I'm going to have to call them on Monday because I purchased two bonus titles on my initial order and one of them did not count towards my commitment.
That might be part of your offer as opposed to a mistake. Many of the DMC's initial offers allow you to purchase an additional title at a discount, however, the description says that it won't count towards your commitment. I'd check the details off the offer you used.
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

gardener14 wrote:
Patrick wrote:I'm going to have to call them on Monday because I purchased two bonus titles on my initial order and one of them did not count towards my commitment.
That might be part of your offer as opposed to a mistake. Many of the DMC's initial offers allow you to purchase an additional title at a discount, however, the description says that it won't count towards your commitment. I'd check the details off the offer you used.
I did, it's definitely a mistake :lol: But thank you, though!
AliceinWonderland
Gold Classic Collection

Post by AliceinWonderland »

Their pre-order thing is pretty new (pirates 4, cars 2, were some of the first). Most of the time you can find new releases cheaper in store. But if you are collecting the 3-d cards you might consider the added cost into that.

A lot of the time their new releases will be after the release date too. which can be a pain, with ordering and shipping time, you won't get a new release until 2-4 weeks after the release date. their only exclusive was fox and the hound which you could own about a month before the release date.

If you buy blu-rays with them you should make sure that in comes in the case type you want. For example, i ordered Cars 2 pre-order and it came in a dvd case, i should of looked more closely at my order to call and change. it came up as DVD-CARS 2 (W/BD).

Refunds take about 2-4 days after they get the dvd back.

My last order i made few titled were no longer on the site, but they were still in stock. if you have a question about a title not shown on the website, call.

If you want to take advantage of a good deal too you can make a big order and call in to make more than one of you dvds at full price (to meet your requirement)

After you meet your requirement you turn into a vip which give you a free pin with every order ($5 value) and some good discounts. Most of the time buy one get the rest at either 50% off with free shipping or 60 % off with paid shipping.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

AliceinWonderland wrote:
After you meet your requirement you turn into a vip which give you a free pin with every order ($5 value) and some good discounts. Most of the time buy one get the rest at either 50% off with free shipping or 60 % off with paid shipping.
I've order a number of times since this last round of being a VIP and I have never gotten a pin. Not that I care, but it's the concept.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
AliceinWonderland
Gold Classic Collection

Post by AliceinWonderland »

milojthatch wrote:
AliceinWonderland wrote:
I've order a number of times since this last round of being a VIP and I have never gotten a pin. Not that I care, but it's the concept.
It's not automatic at check out. Next time select (there is usually 7-10 styles to choose from) and add a pin to your cart, the price should come up 0
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

AliceinWonderland wrote:
milojthatch wrote: I've order a number of times since this last round of being a VIP and I have never gotten a pin. Not that I care, but it's the concept.
It's not automatic at check out. Next time select (there is usually 7-10 styles to choose from) and add a pin to your cart, the price should come up 0
Thanks, I'll look into that next time. Hope to pick some new titles up soon.

-Walt Disney
FrugalFreak

Post by FrugalFreak »

milojthatch wrote:I've been a member a few times in the last six or seven years. I'd love to fully sing their praise, but I can't. I've had issues with them in the past as well, and even somethings I see currently make me question their ethics.

That said, this latest go-round, I have not had any issues. I ordered my commitment and since have ordered only when I wish to, which isn't as much as I'd like. I have never ordered a featured title, but have never had issue with it. Hitting the decline button has always worked for me so far.

I do feel that their biggest value is the Exclusives, which is all I buy at this point. I bought retail titles as part of the commitment, but since have no interested in doing such. The Exclusives are the only reason I stay and I suspect there are a number of other DMC customers that feel the same. For people thinking of joining, I'd say compare prices and make sure any title you buy is one you really want. But, all-in-all I think the DMC is a good value for certain Disney fans.
Yep, exclusives are the only reason I stay. The loss of free shipping unless I buy 2 or more is making it easier to consider leaving after my commitment..
My Disney Collection-http://goo.gl/KjSrb
Gurgi30
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Gurgi30 »

I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can help me with. I was a member many years ago but cancelled as they were running out of items I wanted but with the exclusives and things I've missed over the years they have a bunch I would like to add to my collection. Anyways...

1. When ordering Blu-Ray is it strictly Blu-Ray or is it the combo pack with the DVD as well? If it's not the combo pack is there a way to get those through the site?

2. Does anyone have a code for a better offer than the one through Disney Movie Rewards which is 5 for $5 plus free shipping and you can add another for $15 and a third for $10.

3. Do they have any great sales where movies are 60% off or more?
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Gurgi30 wrote:I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can help me with. I was a member many years ago but cancelled as they were running out of items I wanted but with the exclusives and things I've missed over the years they have a bunch I would like to add to my collection. Anyways...

1. When ordering Blu-Ray is it strictly Blu-Ray or is it the combo pack with the DVD as well? If it's not the combo pack is there a way to get those through the site?

2. Does anyone have a code for a better offer than the one through Disney Movie Rewards which is 5 for $5 plus free shipping and you can add another for $15 and a third for $10.

3. Do they have any great sales where movies are 60% off or more?
1. The releases in the DMC are typically the same as what's in stores. So if the release is a Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack, that's what they have as well. They have recently had a tendency to make the featured title version the most disc-packed release (Cinderella is the current Blu-Ray featured title and it is the 3-disc combo pack with the digital copy).

2. I am unaware of a better deal. If the additional purchases count towards your commitment, be sure to do it.

3. They typically do 60% deals about twice a year. They are doing it this month and if you get the Featured Title offer of Cinderella + Pete's Dragon on Blu-Ray, you also get free shipping on your entire order. I took that opportunity to get a lot of the 3D combo packs I didn't have yet and also got Once Upon a Time on Blu-Ray for $15 since the Featured Title is automatically the full price item in your cart, even though OUaT was the most expensive item.
I'm currently watching and reviewing every Disney film in chronological order. You can follow along at my blog, The Disney Films, and also follow me on Twitter.