DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pixar's Coco
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:58 pm 
Special Edition

I somehow haven't seen this yet.... Hoping to still manage to see it in theaters (it's still playing in a couple places near me).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:08 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

What a total mistake of Coco not being a musical! After seeing the deleted scenes, I love the songs much better. The beginning of Dias Los Metros is incredible and it leaves me literally breathless every time. The direction to that and the full Remember Me is the beautiful. Way of the Riveras is too slow at parts, but it's hilarious! I hope we have an full album with these songs (and Gigantic) if we don't get a Broadway musical.

Also, in "To the Bridge," I love how Ernesto died much more how he was defeated in the movie. It was truly satisfying to see a terrible soul literally fade in that. And in the bus scene, I love the emotion they put in Hector when he sees the guitar.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:01 am 
Platinum Edition

Coco exclusive: Watch three actors sing three versions of 'Remember Me'
http://ew.com/movies/2018/02/13/coco-remember-me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:24 am 
Limited Edition

Kyle wrote:
I didn't get a sense of anything being tired in coco. It was the anti good dinosaur in that regard. That one just recycled a bunch of tropes. I'm sure there was some of that in coco but it didnt scream it like good dinosaur did.

I think I didn’t express myself well. In my opinion, Coco does have some of the typical elements from a Pixar movie, like having two characters on a journey or a surprise villain, but I think they are executed really well on this occasion and I didn't find them tired either. The only thing that bothered me a bit is when Miguel and Hector make a deal to go in search of De la Cruz. Why does there always have to be an exchange of favors? Can’t they find any other excuse for having two characters going on an adventure together? Anyway, that was a minor complaint and maybe it was needed this time.

What I actually meant is that, even though in Coco the Pixar formula works so well; in general, some Pixar tropes are starting to feel a bit tired by now, especially because they have been used in the latest WDAS features as well. It's probably precisely because of its overuse lately that, while I've enjoyed all the latest Pixar and Disney offerings, some moments like the one I've described have annoyed me a bit. In the past it hadn't bothered me, because the truth is that at Pixar they work so hard on the story and the characters and create such rich and fascinating new worlds for their films that, though part of the basic structure of the films is the same, each one feels completely new and you don’t even notice that or you don’t mind it. However, as I said, I would like to see more variety in that aspect of their films as well. Maybe if a new leadership finally arrives, that will begin to change.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:45 pm 
Limited Edition

Article that explains how "Remember Me" was written:
http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/oscars ... 201927835/

Clip from another deleted song:
Coco | The Way Of The Riveras Deleted Scene

And sneak peek at other Blu-ray extras:
Coco | Chancla
Coco | Land Of The Dead Rules
Coco | Animated Wedgie
Coco | Xolo Dogs
Paths to Pixar
Paths to Pixar: Part 2
Coco Behind the Scenes - You Got the Part

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:26 pm 
Platinum Edition

D82 wrote:

This song was written by the Lopezes as well. They wrote 5-6 songs for Coco before Pixar decided against a traditional musical.

Quote:
Q: How many songs in total did you write that didn't make it into the film?

Kristen Anderson-Lopez: 5ish? 6ish? It was all exploratory—very early days while the characters/theme/plot was all in flux. But many of our story contributions lived on in the final film!
Source: https://twitter.com/Lyrikris10/status/9 ... 1812232197

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:04 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Blu-ray.com review:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Coco-Blu- ... 31/#Review

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Coco-4K-B ... 47/#Review

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:01 pm 
Limited Edition

Sotiris wrote:
D82 wrote:

This song was written by the Lopezes as well. They wrote 5-6 songs for Coco before Pixar decided against a traditional musical.

Quote:
Q: How many songs in total did you write that didn't make it into the film?

Kristen Anderson-Lopez: 5ish? 6ish? It was all exploratory—very early days while the characters/theme/plot was all in flux. But many of our story contributions lived on in the final film!
Source: https://twitter.com/Lyrikris10/status/9 ... 1812232197

Thanks for the info, Sotiris! They don't have much luck with their projects lately. Gigantic was cancelled, and this one was rewritten as a non-musical film. At least "Remember Me" survived from the songs they wrote and is having a great success this awards season.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:35 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I finally got to see this the other day (it only opened in the UK around the end of January :roll:). I was more eager to see it more than most other recent Pixar films (Inside Out aside), but my feelings on Pixar have admittedly taken a bit of a nosedive after finding out about the revelations of Lasseter's behaviour and other corporate controversies, so my enthusiasm had become quite muted. That said, I did enjoy it. It's nowhere near the very best of Pixar (Toy Story, Ratatouille, Inside Out, WALL-E) but certainly far from the very worst (anything Cars). It was overall very imaginative and did instil a real sense of wonder. However, there were a few things I found a bit contrived/far fetched, such as the plot point of completely banning music over three or four generations (it seemed a bit too far fetched), and some of the Pixar tropes that have admittedly become a bit stale (I wonder when we'll get a new Disney or Pixar film without a supposed goodie turning out to be a complete and utter psychopath - the sight of an OTT what-you-see-is-what-you-get villain like Cruella de Vil or Jafar would almost seem radical now). Nonetheless, I thought it was a touching, imaginative and visually appealing film, and certainly more welcome than yet another sequel.

Blog | Deviantart

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:34 pm 
Limited Edition

:shrug: Pixar's Coco, not Disney!

Attachments:
#!001_MicVariety-o113494531.jpg
#!001_MicVariety-o113494531.jpg [ 99.87 KiB | Viewed 1329 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:57 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Did they say who’s performing Remember Me at the Oscars?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:29 pm 
Limited Edition

disneyprincess11 wrote:

I don't think it has been announced yet, but I guess it's going to be revealed any day now, because the Academy has started to announce the name of the actors and actresses who will be presenters on the show. I hope they don't choose to perform the end credits version with Miguel and Natalia Lafourcade.

By the way, in a new interview, the Lopezes reveal the title of another deleted song:
Quote:
Kristen Anderson-Lopez: We have a couple different “I want” songs for Miguel that fit the same exact moment in his hidey-hole, where he’s sort of dueting with Ernesto de la Cruz.

Bobby Lopez: Where he’s playing the guitar and watching him on TV.

Kristen Anderson-Lopez: We wrote a couple versions of that song. One that I really love called “Invisible Music” — it was like [sings] “I only play invisible music…” It also spoke to what happens — like, we wrote all this invisible music for the movie! [Laughs]
Source: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/evo ... 19572.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:09 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Aw, they could had put that in, instead of the advice bit. Can we have a album of the deleted songs? I pray that Coco is the next Broadway musical

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:32 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

disneyprincess11 wrote:

They just announced the performers. Gael Garcia Bernal (the voice of Hector), Natalia LaFourcade and Miguel will perform "Remember Me" at the Oscars.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:20 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

estefan wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:

They just announced the performers. Gael Garcia Bernal (the voice of Hector), Natalia LaFourcade and Miguel will perform "Remember Me" at the Oscars.

I’m so relieved and happy that García-Bernal is performing, but I’m furious that Miguel and LaFourcade are performing, but Gonzalez, who is the star of the show, isn’t. What an insult!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:08 pm 
Platinum Edition

Coco as told by Emoji:
https://youtu.be/Q88YczQr6Io

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:39 am 
Platinum Edition

Animator Frank Abney was given permission by Disney to post a progression of the animation in a key sequence from Coco. See how the animation goes from a storyboard to simple animation to detailed and textured final animation. It’s a fascinating glimpse into the progress of a major animation motion picture.
https://vimeo.com/256096946

via http://www.slashfilm.com/the-morning-wa ... reen-more/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:49 pm 
Limited Edition

disneyprincess11 wrote:
estefan wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:

I’m so relieved and happy that García-Bernal is performing, but I’m furious that Miguel and LaFourcade are performing, but Gonzalez, who is the star of the show, isn’t. What an insult!

I'm glad García-Bernal will also perform, but I agree that Anthony González should've been one of the performers too. I guess it will be a combination of the two song versions like they did in 1992 with "Beauty and the Beast".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:20 pm 
Special Edition

Too soon to ask for a Broadway show after that presentation at the Oscars?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:21 pm 
Limited Edition

The Oscars performance was really disappointing. And from what I'm seeing online, that seems to be the general consensus. I thought after the slow intro, it would get better, but it didn't really improve. García-Bernal sounded shockingly off-key, like he desperately needed auto-tune.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next