DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pixar's Coco
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:53 pm 
Limited Edition

Coco has become the highest-grossing animated film of all time in Mexico:

Quote:
Disney/Pixar’s Coco, from directors Lee Unkrich and Adrian Molina, is looking more than lively in Mexico where it has grossed $41.4M (792M pesos) to date. That makes it the highest-grossing animated film of all time in the market (in local currency) and the No. 2 release of all movies ever. No. 1 is its Disney cousin, Marvel’s The Avengers at 827M pesos. At this rate, Coco could pass that.
Source: http://deadline.com/2017/11/thor-ragnar ... 202206533/

Here are also a new clip and other videos:

- Disney•Pixar Coco - Clip “Battle of the Bands”
- Coco Movie U.S. Premiere Soundbites
- Disney-Pixar's "Coco" press conference
- Coco: Secretos de cómo se hizo la película de Disney Pixar
- We talked (and painted) alebrijes with #PixarCoco character artist Alonso Martinez for #TheOhMyDisneyShow!
- https://twitter.com/pixarcoco/status/929125160786960384

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:05 pm 
Limited Edition

Voice Cast B-roll (there might be spoilers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MswwpVvrsRY

Here's also a featurette about "Día de Muertos" with co-director Adrian Molina: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeT5859FloQ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:28 pm 
Limited Edition

Coco has now become the highest grossing film ever in Mexico, animated or not!

http://deadline.com/2017/11/coco-pixar- ... 202209221/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:53 pm 
Platinum Edition

‘Coco’ Composers Infuse Score With Flavors of Mexican Music
http://variety.com/2017/artisans/produc ... 202614836/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:53 pm 
Limited Edition

New videos:

- Adrian Molina on the Music of Coco
- Director of Photography and Lighting Danielle Feinberg opens your eyes to the creation of the bright world of #PixarCoco!
- Coco Filmmaker DNA Reveal | Ancestry.com
- Disney•Pixar Coco - Meet The Pixar Family Behind Coco
- Disney•Pixar's Coco Magical Guitar Surprise | Oh My Disney
- How to draw Dante from Disney Pixar's Coco with Ana Ramirez, visual development artist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:34 pm 
Limited Edition

New international trailer with a lot of new footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7gdUxLG-bU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:53 pm 
Limited Edition

Music video of the end credits song:

And more new videos:

- Everything You Need to Know Before You See Coco | Oh My Disney Show
- Benjamin Bratt and Anthony Gonzalez of Coco Quiz Each Other on Disney•Pixar Trivia | OMD
- Coco Official "Hector" Interview with Gael García Bernal
- Coco Official "Miguel" Interview with Anthony Gonzalez
- Coco Official "Ernesto De La Cruz" Interview with Anthony Gonzalez
- Coco Official "Papá" Interview with Jaime Camil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:13 am 
Limited Edition

Now that many more reviews have been added, the film still has a 94% score at Rotten Tomatoes with an average rating of 8 out of 10: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/coco_2017

I wonder if the accusations against Lasseter will have any effect on the film's box office.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:28 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

D82 wrote:
I wonder if the accusations against Lasseter will have any effect on the film's box office.

Variety wrote:
Just as the Disney-Pixar movie “Coco” began its Tuesday night previews, news broke that animation guru John Lasseter would be taking a six-month leave over allegations of inappropriate behavior toward women. Lasseter, who runs both Pixar and Disney Animation, apologized in an email to those “on the receiving end of an unwanted hug or any other gesture they felt crossed the line.”

It was an unfortunate juxtaposition for the highly anticipated movie, as Hollywood grapples with an ever-widening sexual harassment scandal, but it’s not expected to hurt the film’s box office ahead of the critical Wednesday-Sunday holiday time frame.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/lasse ... 202621181/

Experts predict that it won't have a huge impact. I imagine, as well, that the Olaf short will probably draw in a lot of extra crowds, similar to Frozen Fever and Cinderella.

Blog | Deviantart

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:17 pm 
Collector's Edition

We saw it last night for the early release. My wife who had zero interest in seeing this film loved it.

Lots of heart and laughs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:16 pm 
Limited Edition

Wonderlicious wrote:
D82 wrote:

Variety wrote:
Just as the Disney-Pixar movie “Coco” began its Tuesday night previews, news broke that animation guru John Lasseter would be taking a six-month leave over allegations of inappropriate behavior toward women. Lasseter, who runs both Pixar and Disney Animation, apologized in an email to those “on the receiving end of an unwanted hug or any other gesture they felt crossed the line.”

It was an unfortunate juxtaposition for the highly anticipated movie, as Hollywood grapples with an ever-widening sexual harassment scandal, but it’s not expected to hurt the film’s box office ahead of the critical Wednesday-Sunday holiday time frame.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/lasse ... 202621181/

Experts predict that it won't have a huge impact. I imagine, as well, that the Olaf short will probably draw in a lot of extra crowds, similar to Frozen Fever and Cinderella.

OK, yes, I think it's true. After all, most people that are not animation or cinema fans probably don't even know who Lasseter is. This article also gives another reason why it shouldn't affect the film on the box office:

Quote:
While there may be a few adult moviegoers who make the unfortunate choice not to see Coco this weekend (the film earned a solid $2.3 million in Tuesday night previews, which points to a $65m-$75m five-day debut), the vast majority of its audience is made up of families and children.

And if you have kids who want to see Coco, or if you as an adult are planning on using Coco to kill time or provide a group family activity over the long holiday, the allegations against Lasseter aren't going to cause you to change that. There is a good chance that most kids didn't read yesterday's Hollywood Reporter story, and that Pixar makes high-quality children's entertainment gives them at an advantage in terms of weathering the storm that adult-skewing performers like Kevin Spacey or Louis C.K. don't have. It's one thing to make the choice to not watch House of Cards. It's another to explain to your kids why you won't be seeing that new Pixar toon over the holiday.
Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... 5f28141a6d

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:26 pm 
Platinum Edition

I just came back from seeing this!!! It is such a wonderful film!! I laughed, I cried, I did both at the same time. It has some really great characters, wonderful music, stunning visuals, and so, so much heart. A+!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:26 pm 
Collector's Edition

RyGuy wrote:
We saw it last night for the early release. My wife who had zero interest in seeing this film loved it.

Lots of heart and laughs.

blackcauldron85 wrote:
I just came back from seeing this!!! It is such a wonderful film!! I laughed, I cried, I did both at the same time. It has some really great characters, wonderful music, stunning visuals, and so, so much heart. A+!

I'm glad to hear you guys all enjoyed it! I'll be watching in an hour so I'm especially excited now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:06 pm 
Platinum Edition

Disney has released instrumental versions of the songs Un Poco Loco and Remember Me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:42 pm 
Collector's Edition

I saw the movie and I loved it! There are so many emotional highs and lows that just capture your heart. I liked it even more than Inside Out. The twist, if it can be called that, was predictable imo and I figured it out almost instantly but I'm glad they went that route. The music was decent although I didn't find it super amazing. Maybe I'll have to listen to the songs a few more times to really like them, but I wouldn't rank them against any of Disney's. And even the famous Pixar ones like from Toy Story, I don't think the songs could compare too. I can see now why Pixar didn't call this film a musical since it really isn't one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:09 pm 
Gold Collection

I don't have anything against Pixar, in fact, I respect their works as they're one of the few CG animation studios that tell sincere, meaningful stories with the right mixture of comedy and heart. But I've honestly been getting tired of CG animation. I don't hold it against the movie, but I probably will wait until I see this on video. I'm sure it's a good film, though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:43 pm 
Limited Edition

It seems Coco will have a good opening at the domestic box office:

Quote:
Moviegoers love Coco: The Disney film earned an A+ CinemaScore last night, Pixar’s 6th ever, and the best since Up. On top of that, Coco came in much higher on its first day with an estimated $13.3M; which is behind Thanksgiving openers Moana ($15.5M) and Frozen ($15.1M) and ahead of Good Dinosaur ($9.76m) and Tangled ($11.9M). Currently, the Lee Unkrich-Adrian Molina film should hit $70M-plus in five days, and $47M over three days. But given how wild Black Friday is at the box office, and the current buzz for the film, Coco could conceivably go much higher.
Source: http://deadline.com/2017/11/coco-justic ... 202213755/

Here are a clip and other new videos:

- Gael García Bernal on Being a Part of Disney•Pixar's Coco | Oh My Disney Show
- The cast of #PixarCoco has never seen the Land of the Dead like this #CocoVR
- https://twitter.com/pixarcoco/status/931990412243353601
- https://twitter.com/DisneyStudiosLA/sta ... 9305457664
- https://twitter.com/pixarcoco/status/933360788722483203

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:46 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I saw this movie yesterday and good lord, I am REELING a day later. This is not only the best Disney AND Pixar movies, this is the best movie I'er seen in my life. Period. Everything is pitch perfect from the music to themes to characters. Miguel is such a sweet character and he is very endearing and you understand his sadness and longing. Even if he is selfish, he's just a naive kid. He doesn't know better. And while Miguel does get his happy ending, he still still develops throughout the movie and learns to treasure his family.

Above all, this story takes the average Disney cliches & characters and make them something very very unique and special. I also did not know where the story was going with the climax or the ending & the fate of certain characters. This is brilliant storytelling that both Disney and Pixar master sometimes. It shines here especially.

Let me just say when people were saying this movie has so many twists and surprises, I knew that it was a twist villain and a death. They do have this, but good god, it’s wayyyy more than those two things.

I watched the trailers and clips. I was both charmed by Hector and Ernesto. In my eyes, Hector was the typical fun, lovable Artful Dodger. Ernesto is the awesome grandpa character that is so so loving and wise and I was touched by this character. And Disney/Pixar built him up so much. But, again, I knew there had to be a twist villain and death. So, my prediction was Hector murdered Ernesto and Hector would either go after Miguel or Hector would be remorseful about the murder. Well….ummmmm, yeah, I was technically right.

I don’t know people saw this coming, but again b/c of Hector being the “Disney sidekick,” I never ever expected that Hector was going to be the real great-grand grandfather of Miguel. I knew something was off about the family portrait of Imelda and Coco, but I assumed that it was Ernesto b/c of the clothes and guitar. Man, did that came together after the Ernesto bombshell. I was just reeling out of shock about Ernesto, but then BOOM: Coco is my daughter. And as someone who just lost her dad to cancer in March, the parts with him and Coco made me lose it completely. Especially at the end with them together. I know Dad would have just loved the movie.

And most importantly, this is a villain reveal done right. This isn’t Turbo/Hans/Bellweather where you only see them be evil in one scene or Callaghan where his revival is predictable, his reason is understandable, and he’s just a uninteresting villain in general. The villain reveal takes place at the end of Act 2 of the story, so you get more time with Ernesto and good god, they developed his arc perfectly. Ernesto is a 100% unsympathetic piece of garbage who not only killed his best friend to get fame & fortune and took everything away from Hector, but he also straight up tries to murder a child twice in this movie and the first time, he thought Miguel was his grandson and didn’t still care. He is just so so evil and a great, great bad guy and Disney did it right for the first time since Wreck-It Ralph, where a bad guy gets stacked with a bad guy.

I just love this movie and it deserves every good thing coming for it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:36 am 
Limited Edition

Agreed completely. I'm honestly caught off guard by how much I adored this film considering I wasn't that excited to see it. Easily the best Pixar movie in at least 10 years...but it's quite possibly my favorite ever.

It's a simple story but they made it absolutely perfect. A genuinely touching, clever, and warm movie with much more universal themes than most Pixar films. And a great cast of characters and wonderful depiction of a culture that's been too often ignored in American media. LOVE Imelda.

I was underwhelmed by the music when I listened before seeing the film, but it absolutely works in the movie and I love it now. Some major tearjerker moments are enhanced by the music.

As far as twists are concerned, I didn't pay much attention to the characters, plot, etc beforehand, so I went into the film mostly blind. I did think Ernesto would turn out to be a disappointment to Miguel in some way and he'd learn to appreciate his true familia, but figured it'd just be typical uncaring deadbeat dad stuff. I wasn't expecting him to be a cold-blooded murderer, so I guess that part of the twist caught me by surprise :lol: I agree it was done well though, and it's also more relevant than ever with all the celebrities being exposed as monsters (cough...John Lasseter). You never know what your idols are really like, and family is more important.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:05 am 
Platinum Edition

Oh my God Coco was freaking amazing. It made me so emotional near the end. I cried a little but not sure if it was because my eyes were open too long (happens sometimes), but I got the feelings to cry and came so close to bawling. I have never done that for a Pixar film. Because of my reaction to the film, and because of what it's about, I’m going to say this is Pixar’s best film.

It looked amazing. Gorgeous and stunning. The eyeballs and rest of the skeleton design elements were needed for the film. The music was pretty and moving. The story was thrilling and touching. Miguel was a really good singer, and only a kid!

I did wonder if Miguel’s dad was Héctor at different times throughout before the big reveal, but I’m going to chock that up to always trying to predict what’s going to happen like all critic ass**** tendencies.

I only have two things I think may be wrong with the film. The first is that family matters more than your own personal dream that makes you happy and is who you want to be. Yes, you should never totally leave your family forever (unless they like, try to torture or kill you), but come on, if your family won’t let you be who you are, that’s just plain wrong. Miguel would have been miserable without music.

The second thing was the dead disappearing. Is that really what Mexican people believe? If they don’t, are that ok with that? Why couldn’t it just be that if you are forgotten, you can never visit the living again? Isn’t that sad enough? What do you guys think?

Well, Coco was a wonderful, amazing movie. A+

Sotiris wrote:
I was reading a review and this bit caught my attention.

Quote:
Coco takes few narrative risks, peddling a simplistic story in which our hero learns pat lessons while failing to undergo any sort of significant inner journey.
Source: https://www.screendaily.com/reviews/coc ... 36.article

That's the vibe I've been getting from all of the trailers and clips that have been released so far. I suspect this stems from making the character's struggle an external instead of an internal one. The whole thing about Miguel being forbidden to become a musician by his family is incredibly silly and unconvincing (it was just as silly as when Ariel's Beginning did it and Triton even had a better reason than Miguel's grandma). If they needed to make Miguel's central conflict about him becoming a musician they could have come up with a more believable starting point. For example, they could have made him struggle with his need to work in order to support his family and his passion for music. It would have been a good way to introduce some more mature themes like the effects of poverty and class struggle in a nuanced but accessible way instead of making Miguel's main problem so clichéd and artificial. Miguel's need to survive hampering his ability to follow his dreams would have been a much more realistic problem than his family banning music.

Yea but I didn't find Miguel's problem to clichéd and artificial when he was trying to merely get home and had to think about whether to honor his family or follow his dream of being a musician. And I didn't think the story needed some more realistic problem. I did at first think "Really? The Sound of Music and The Little Mermaid III agian?" but if a film uses an element that's already been done well, it's not a bad film.

D82 wrote:
Quote:
And if you have kids who want to see Coco, or if you as an adult are planning on using Coco to kill time or provide a group family activity over the long holiday, the allegations against Lasseter aren't going to cause you to change that.

What the? Adults should want to see this more than just to kill time or have a family activity!

disneyprincess11 wrote:
So, my prediction was Hector murdered Ernesto and Hector would either go after Miguel or Hector would be remorseful about the murder. Well….ummmmm, yeah, I was technically right.

Wait, don't you mean that you predicted that Ernesto murderd Héctor and wuld go after Miguel?

I am so glad RyGuy, blackcauldron85, JeangreyForever, disneyprincess11, and Lady Cluck all liked the movie so much! Loved what you guys said!

Last edited by Disney Duster on Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next