Coco

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
MJW
Special Edition

Coco

Post by MJW »

Not sure if this is worthy of its own thread, but Lee Unkrich posted the following on Twitter recently:
Lee Unkrich wrote:Tomorrow is a big day that may determine the next four years of my life. Wish me luck.
I can only assume he's either pitching a new film at Pixar or finding out if a previous pitch is being greenlit or not. :?
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

That would be logical.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Anything but Toy Story 4. I'd love to see what he can do with a new set of characters. after how awesome TS3 turned out.
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

Lee Unkrich has started a Tumblr account chronicling his "road to the next one." He will be posting a new picture each day as he works on what is presumably his next film at Pixar.

Check it out: leeunkrich.tumblr.com
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

MJW wrote:Check it out: leeunkrich.tumblr.com
His tumblr page no longer works. I don't get why he would delete it. He's on Twitter all the time, so it couldn't be about not having time. Do you think it was because of all the attention his tumblr was getting from the animation blogosphere?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Sotiris wrote:
MJW wrote:Check it out: leeunkrich.tumblr.com
His tumblr page no longer works. I don't get why he would delete it. He's on Twitter all the time, so it couldn't be about not having time. Do you think it was because of all the attention his tumblr was getting from the animation blogosphere?
I would guess it had something to do with legal. It probably had not gotten approved all the way through, and when it because big there was probably some little problem with it somewhere in some tiny loophole or some stupid nonsense like that. What stinks is that he has yet to explain why it's no longer there.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Pixar's Coco

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I just saw this tweet:

Disney•Pixar ‏ @DisneyPixar

Just announced: Director @leeunkrich and producer Darla Anderson making a film that delves into the vibrant holiday of Día de los Muertos.

This definitely sounds like an interesting concept, and I'm eager to learn more. Thoughts?
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Re: Upcoming "Día de los Muertos" Pixar Film

Post by Super Aurora »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:I just saw this tweet:

Disney•Pixar ‏ @DisneyPixar

Just announced: Director @leeunkrich and producer Darla Anderson making a film that delves into the vibrant holiday of Día de los Muertos.

This definitely sounds like an interesting concept, and I'm eager to learn more. Thoughts?

My thoughts?

<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

:shock:

Well,this seems to be going by their style of doing weird premises so I think I can expect them to churn out something interesting.I feel this movie will come out later this decade after the Dinosaur and Mind movie.All I can say is that Pixar is getting their orginality back.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

This could be really interesting. I wonder what sort of direction they'll take it - creepy (Tim Burton-esque) or slapstick-ish? Or some combination of the two?
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Random thoughts

Never heard of the holiday, had to look it up. Kinda dark subject matter don't you think?

Darla and Lee are both on this? nice. They did a great job on Toy Story 3. This could mean their not doing a Toy Story 4 any time soon. (of course this doesn't mean they won't just get another director if they wanted)

Kinda crazy that we can see this far ahead on their slate.

Brave
Monsters University
Dinosaur movie
the inside of a girls mind movie
and now this mexican holiday one.

Last time the list got this long things got canceled and shuffled around though. Might that happen again?
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Kyle wrote:
Kinda crazy that we can see this far ahead on their slate.

Brave
Monsters University
Dinosaur movie
the inside of a girls mind movie
and now this mexican holiday one.

Last time the list got this long things got canceled and shuffled around though. Might that happen again?
Anything is possible.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

Kyle wrote:Random thoughts

Never heard of the holiday, had to look it up. Kinda dark subject matter don't you think?
Not really. It's just as much a celebration of life as it is one about death.

Though this is making me wonder, weren't Guillermo del Toro and the guy behind the Nickelodeon show El Tigre already working on a Day of the Dead movie?
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Hmm, I wonder if these will all come to fruition... don't forget about "Newt" being canceled or how Disney announced "King of the Elves" only to shelve it.

An announcement does not mean a guarantee.

I think this is an interesting topic. There will undoubtedly be debates about why a bunch of white animators are making this distinctly foreign film. Speaking of which, what happened to an Italy-set Pixar film?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

There's already a thread about this topic. It just needs an updated title.

Neal wrote:Speaking of which, what happened to an Italy-set Pixar film?
There's no update on that one. It's either a different unannounced upcoming movie or an abandoned concept.
FigmentJedi wrote:Though this is making me wonder, weren't Guillermo del Toro and the guy behind the Nickelodeon show El Tigre already working on a Day of the Dead movie?
Yes, they are.
The Hollywood Reporter wrote:Guillermo del Toro is returning to his Mexican roots with Day of the Dead, a CG-animated movie he has boarded as a producer. Del Toro is teaming up with Reel FX to make the film, which will be directed by Jorge R. Gutierrez, the co-creator of a Nickelodeon show named "El Tigre: The Adventures of Manny Rivera".

Reel FX is hoping to release Day of the Dead in Fall 2014.
If they do indeed release it in 2014 that means it will be released before the Pixar version as their 2014 release is The Good Dinosaur. This can't be good. ~sigh~ I hope we don't have another Rio/Newt situation.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Sotiris wrote:There's already a thread about this topic. It just needs an updated title.
Are we sure it's the same project though?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Lnds500 wrote:Are we sure it's the same project though?
Yes. Just look at his twitter feed:

September 23, 2011
Lee Unkrich wrote:Tomorrow is a big day that may determine the next four years of my life. Wish me luck.

September 26, 2011
Lee Unkrich wrote:Today is day one on my next project.

April 24, 2012
Lee Unkrich wrote:So excited to finally reveal my next movie at Pixar: a story set in the world of the Mexican holiday Dia de los Muertos.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Given the holiday, they should definitely have some interesting and colorful designs going on, which we sorta got a taste of through "Friends on the Other Side" in The Princess and the Frog (or at least, that's what certain scenes always made me think of). I've always loved checking out the folk art for the holiday and it's also a part of my family's heritage now. :)
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

As soon as I read about this film I thought about the ride at the Mexico pavilion in Epcot, especially the scene where the four skeletons are playing mariachi. Along with the film set inside the human mind, this is another interesting concept for me. A few months ago I think a few people, including myself, were wondering what Pixar's creative direction would be in the future with a Car sequel and Monsters, Inc. prequel planned and rumours of another Toy Story film so it's nice to see that after Brave we have, at least for now, three more original films to look forward to over the next few years.
We're not going to Guam, are we?