The Different Kinds of Disney Fans

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
pap64
Platinum Edition

The Different Kinds of Disney Fans

Post by pap64 »

So because I am bored out of my mind and have nothing to occupy my mind with outside my job hunt (:p), I began to think about the different kinds of Disney fans I have encountered throughout the years. I have seen everything from casual fans that don't see the big deal in the whole cult mentality of the fanbase to those that idolize every single aspect of the company. So through what may be gross generalization, I decided to create different types of Disney fans. Of course I may be wrong and there may be more ideas out there, but bear with me. This isn't meant to single anyone out or make fun of anyone in particular here or in any other forum. This is just to have fun and see where my mind can take me.

The Disney Purist: This is a fan that was on Walt's Disney and JUST Walt's Disney. That means he or she have high respect for the man and everything he did. The movies, the television shows, the animated and live action shorts etc. have a high profile in their mind. Everything after Walt's death, though, fails to replicate the magic and purity of Walt's Disney, making them believe that everything Disney does now is shallow, worthless, corporate and empty. Yes, even stuff like Beauty and the Beast will appear as overrated and trite in the eyes of the Disney Purist.

The Disney Nutcase: Unlike the Disney Purist, which sees Disney begin and end with Walt, the Disney Nutcase seeks to love ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING about the company. Mediocre DTV sequels? They are criminally underrated. What about those obscure live action movies? SEEN THEM ALL. Disney theme parks? HAS ANNUAL PASSES FOR ALL OF THEM. The Disney Nutcase loves Disney so much that he or she has the mentality that they are a better person that most people in other fanbases. And if you dare to mention DreamWorks to them, they can't be your friend... EVER.

The Disney Realist: This is the fan that tends to be more balanced in his or her appreciation of Disney. The person isn't afraid of looking at Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and explaining its flaws as a movie, but will give credit to Pocahontas for the things that work. His/her passion for Disney is very strong, but the person doesn't let his/her passion get in the way of objective criticism. They also don't go crazy whenever something Un-Disney happens (something the purist and the nutcase will do in a heartbeat).

The Casual Disney Fan: The Casual Disney Fan is likely to enjoy Disney in small facets and not go overboard. He/she may claim that one of the Disney animated classics or live action pieces be one of their favorites from their childhood, doesn't cringe when the Disney logo appears on a movie like Pirates, and see why people like Disney so much. They just don't go overboard with their love, and see it as something fun to pass the time with. They may go to a Disney theme park once in a blue moon, but are not determined to go every single year, especially with their rising prices. The Casual Disney Fan may occasionally crack the anti-Disney joke, like say that Walt was frozen, that they stole from other pieces of art to create their own, but usually it is them repeating mindless drivel from other sources.

The Disney 90s-Kid: This is a fan that was born in the late 80s, early 90s, and thus was introduced to Disney through the golden era of the 90s. Naturally, movies like Little Mermaid and Aladdin made them fans, and because of how huge these movies were in terms of presence, they were surrounded by 90s Disney (such as the Disney Channel). Unfortunately, since they were raised by 90s Disney, a lot of their scope is limited, and often just focus on the Disney movies of the 90s, neglecting the movies made today and ignoring the classics of yesteryear. In other words, when they say that they like classic Disney music, they really mean the songs penned by Alan Menken ;) .

The Anti-Disney Fanboy: This fan is one of the most complex and layered of them all. He/she loves Disney, enough to go on several online forums and write long rants about why Disney sucks now. He/she may be confused for a purist, but this person will attack Disney no matter what. It can be confusing since the person does clearly love Disney, but spends too much time finding flaws in the movies, seeing the corporate evil behind the parks and just trying to pain a dark image of the company he/she loves. It's one thing to be objective and point out flaws, the other completely bashing the company on Disney fan sites.

The Disney Fangirl: Similar to the nutcase, but this one's far worse since it is a fangirl at the helm. You know, the kind that spends 12 hours a day on Tumblr searching for Disney stuff, create stuff based on Disney (I'm talking to you Simple Disney Things :p ) and just dream, think and live Disney. I believe Mooky (or was it Wondy?) did an excellent mockery of the fangirl a few years back... If only she would come on down and show us what she is capable of... :wink:

That's what I have for now. Again, this isn't meant to target anyone on this forum or to offend anyone. This is mainly a silly, satirical look at the people one may find in the Disney fandom.
Last edited by pap64 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

according to your descriptions, I'm both a realist and a casual fan.

I know for a fact that I kinda obsess over disney, but I also make cracks at them as a company.

This means one of two things: Either I have a twin that I switch bodies with regularly, or I have a split-personality disorder.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

ajmrowland wrote:according to your descriptions, I'm both a realist and a casual fan.

I know for a fact that I kinda obsess over disney, but I also make cracks at them as a company.

This means one of two things: Either I have a twin that I switch bodies with regularly, or I have a split-personality disorder.
You finally got it champ. :)
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

ajmrowland wrote:
ajmrowland wrote:according to your descriptions, I'm both a realist and a casual fan.

You finally got it champ. :)
:shock:

*I hope nobody's offended by my multiple posting just of this
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Spamming my own thread which could have easily been done in one clever post? Clearly you stink because of that, so OUT OF MY THREAD!

... :p

But in all seriousness, I think "split personality" can be a good fan description...

The Split Personality Disney Fan: With the Disney Nutcase, the Fangirl and the Anti-Disney Fanboy, you at least get a feeling of how they perceive and enjoy Disney. Yet with the Split Personality Disney Fan, you don't quite understand how they work. They love one thing Disney does, enough for them to give Disney endless praise. But are quick to turn on Disney the minute they do something they disagree with. This might be confused for the Disney Realist, since they seem to love Disney but can be objective and leave aside nostalgic goggles. But having an 180 change in mentality can be confusing, leaving you wondering if they love or hate the company. Think of them as being in a relationship that is venomous, but at the same time they can't get enough of it. It doesn't make sense to us, but they get it, and are very happy :) .
ImageImageImageImage

Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Love your post!

I'd also add Theme Park Fantatic. Fans who own piles of park merch, can rhyme off several ride narrations, own coffee tabel books on park design, and pro-Old EPCOT Center, know the differences between resorts, but are more like casual Disney fans when it comes to the movies.

I've seen those online.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:Love your post!

I'd also add Theme Park Fantatic. Fans who own piles of park merch, can rhyme off several ride narrations, own coffee tabel books on park design, and pro-Old EPCOT Center, know the differences between resorts, but are more like casual Disney fans when it comes to the movies.

I've seen those online.
Thanks! :)

Yeah, my best friend once said that there are also two kinds of fans: Disney movie fans and Disney theme park fans. While the two fandoms can meet (the Disney movies inspire the parks, and the parks inspire the movies), it always seems to be one or the other.

I too have seen those online. They tend to create Disney trip planning websites, the kind that tell you the same stuff over and over again and at times have a authoritarian, haughty tone to their articles, and swear that their park knowledge makes them gods of something (REMEMBER TO WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES BEFORE YOU GO TO THE PARKS OR ELSE YOU WILL HAVE A MISERABLE TIME... not kidding, some articles do start off like that).

One thing I also should have stated is that fandom isn't a bad thing if that's the vibe one may get from this post. Fandom can be amazing, I know for a fact that the Disney fandom has lead me to some amazing friends that I love beyond our mutual passion for this. And even if ALL fandoms have their share of crazies, it is always fun to gather together and discuss and celebrate the things we love.

I just find it fascinating how one entity can be viewed so wildly, and the examples I mentioned above were based off of people I actually met either online or in real life.
ImageImageImageImage

Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

I'm probably a Disney Realist, with perhaps a touch of Purist in there since I do tend to prefer the Walt-era animated product a bit.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

I just came up with another one...

The Disney Elitist: Every fandom always has a fan that seems to believe he/she is better than the rest of the fandom simply because he/she accomplished something within the fandom, or have a strict belief that makes them feel like they stand above the rest. This is where the Disney Elitist comes in. The Disney Elitist may feel this way because they accomplished some things the average fan can't do, like meeting one of the old Nine Men, getting a signature from a Disney Legend, seen big Disney movies when they actually premiered or have very high standards for the company. This makes them feel like they stand above everyone else in the fandom, whose devotion mainly lie in movie watching and visiting the theme parks.
ImageImageImageImage

Marky_198
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marky_198 »

The Disney Classic Lover:

Someone who loves the Classics, the art, the music and the mature character of them. Not only the classics from the "Walt era" but also the golden age. This person is annoyed by the pink princess merchandise which does not match the films at all. This person loves the artistic Disney posters instead of the childish ones. This person believes that Disney classics, the masterpieces, are for adults and that Disney is limiting itself by giving their company such a childish image.
Chris
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chris »

Marky_198 wrote:The Disney Classic Lover:

Someone who loves the Classics, the art, the music and the mature character of them. Not only the classics from the "Walt era" but also the golden age. This person is annoyed by the pink princess merchandise which does not match the films at all. This person loves the artistic Disney posters instead of the childish ones. This person believes that Disney classics, the masterpieces, are for adults and that Disney is limiting itself by giving their company such a childish image.
I very much relate to your 'classic' description. I love classic Disney, the music, and most of the films from the 70's as well. I mourn the way things used to be at the Parks decades ago, and I'm still annoyed that the princesses have been marketed strictly to little girls. :)
Last edited by Chris on Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"She sailed out of the Disney-blue heavens, umbrella in hand, and promptly elicited every gorgeous adjective in the book from reviewers coast to coast."
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

How about the Disney Nutcase, Twice Removed? This person loves almost everything Disney does in terms of animated movies, theme parks, etc. without enough critical thought, but draws the line at teeny bopper crap on the Disney Channel and thinks a watchable live action movie being released by Disney is the exception, not the rule
David S.
Special Edition

Post by David S. »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:

I've seen those online.
I agree. And I've seen some online who are obsessive about the parks and aren't even casual fans of the films. I've even seen some who say they don't care about the DACs.
pap64 wrote:
Yeah, my best friend once said that there are also two kinds of fans: Disney movie fans and Disney theme park fans. While the two fandoms can meet (the Disney movies inspire the parks, and the parks inspire the movies), it always seems to be one or the other.
That's something I've noticed as well. It's kind of understandable that many people would get into the films more than the parks. After all, the parks are only at 5 locations on the globe and therefore not easily accessible to large numbers of people. I can remember being in college and just after I graduated - money was tight and my car at the time was old and not very reliable for long road trips. So I sustained my Disney fandom on the DACs and other films, and the classic TV programs, Vault Disney, and my Disney CDs. During that era, my memory of childhood trips at the parks with my parents would have to sustain my Disney park interest for awhile. So my focus during that era was definitely more film-centric.

But what DOES surprise me whilst reading the Disney park boards is how many WDW park fans don't seem like "Disney" fans in terms of the characters and animated classics, which to me are the bedrock on which "Disney" (as both a company and an aesthetic) is founded.

I've heard people on those boards say things like "Nobody knows the characters from Dumbo, that's an 'old' movie" and some of these same posters freely admit to not knowing who characters like Flower and Casey Jr are, yet they know the parks inside out! (and to anyone with even a casual knowledge of the DACs, these are hardly "obscure" characters!)

Probably the biggest shock for me personally is that many posters on the park boards seem to have an actual dislike of the classic characters and films, or at least they seem to have a resentment of these characters and films being intergrated into the parks and their attractions.

Whereas my favorite attractions tend to often be the ones based on DACs and characters! (including some characters created for the parks, like Figment, Tiki Birds, and Country Bears)

For me, I find the films and the parks to have a symbiotic relationship, and consider myself a fan of both. The films can generally explore stories, themes, amd emotions with more depth and thoroughness; and yet there is something so very satisfying about being able to explore and ride through these storytelling environments in three dimensions in the "real world".

I find that having a passion for the film library makes the park experience more satisfying, as I pick up on many references, meanings, and jokes that many tourists not into the films wouldn't get. And conversely, being able to visit the film environments and characters in the parks makes me long for the films, and strengthens my bonds with them.
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag"- Mary Poppins
"How high does the sycamore grow? If you cut it down, then you'll never know"- Pocahontas
"I do not make films primarily for children. I make them for the child in all of us, whether he be six or sixty. Call the child innocence." - Walt Disney
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

I recall a similar thread created by Escapay titled What Type of Disney Snob Are You?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Sotiris is a Disney News Snob :p
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

David S. wrote:
Flanger-Hanger wrote:

I've seen those online.
I agree. And I've seen some online who are obsessive about the parks and aren't even casual fans of the films. I've even seen some who say they don't care about the DACs.
pap64 wrote:
That's something I've noticed as well. It's kind of understandable that many people would get into the films more than the parks. After all, the parks are only at 5 locations on the globe and therefore not easily accessible to large numbers of people. I can remember being in college and just after I graduated - money was tight and my car at the time was old and not very reliable for long road trips. So I sustained my Disney fandom on the DACs and other films, and the classic TV programs, Vault Disney, and my Disney CDs. During that era, my memory of childhood trips at the parks with my parents would have to sustain my Disney park interest for awhile. So my focus during that era was definitely more film-centric.

But what DOES surprise me whilst reading the Disney park boards is how many WDW park fans don't seem like "Disney" fans in terms of the characters and animated classics, which to me are the bedrock on which "Disney" (as both a company and an aesthetic) is founded.

I've heard people on those boards say things like "Nobody knows the characters from Dumbo, that's an 'old' movie" and some of these same posters freely admit to not knowing who characters like Flower and Casey Jr are, yet they know the parks inside out! (and to anyone with even a casual knowledge of the DACs, these are hardly "obscure" characters!)

Probably the biggest shock for me personally is that many posters on the park boards seem to have an actual dislike of the classic characters and films, or at least they seem to have a resentment of these characters and films being intergrated into the parks and their attractions.

Whereas my favorite attractions tend to often be the ones based on DACs and characters! (including some characters created for the parks, like Figment, Tiki Birds, and Country Bears)

For me, I find the films and the parks to have a symbiotic relationship, and consider myself a fan of both. The films can generally explore stories, themes, amd emotions with more depth and thoroughness; and yet there is something so very satisfying about being able to explore and ride through these storytelling environments in three dimensions in the "real world".

I find that having a passion for the film library makes the park experience more satisfying, as I pick up on many references, meanings, and jokes that many tourists not into the films wouldn't get. And conversely, being able to visit the film environments and characters in the parks makes me long for the films, and strengthens my bonds with them.
I consider myself a fan of both the movies and the theme parks cause, as you said, they complement each other so well. I loved visiting WDW and meeting the characters from my favorite movies, experiencing the classic rides based on Disney movies, and feeling like I was walking onto my favorite Disney films. I think one wouldn't exist without the other (after all, Walt started with short films, then full length ones and then moved onto theme parks).
Sotiris wrote:I recall a similar thread created by Escapay titled What Type of Disney Snob Are You?
Ack! And here I thought I was all original and witty. Escapay is the king of the snark and witty commentary, so no point in fighting it (and I seriously mean that, that thread was HILARIOUS! :) ).
ImageImageImageImage

jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

The Disney 90s-Kid is probably the description that best fits me.However,I do have a lot of love for the much older Disney movies.In fact I was practically raise on Disney it does help my mom and grandmother are big disney fans as well so it runs in the family.Not to mention I am named after a Disney princess and was born a month after Aladdin.Yes,I was born in 1992 in December so I will be twenty this year.Happy twentieth birtday for me and happy twentieth anniversary for Aladdin. :D
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:I recall a similar thread created by Escapay titled What Type of Disney Snob Are You?
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that. I miss Escapay.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

I would describe myself as a Disney Realist. I have loved Disney animated films my whole life, I know quite a lot about studio history that most normal folk wouldn't bother with, and I am not afraid to speak up about what I dislike about Walt's films.
I also understand the sensibilities behind their modern features, even if I disagree on some issues, I don't mind the occasional Disney jokes, and it's okay if they break from their formula every so often. As far as their live-action features go, I am strictly casual. I have small interest in their TV shows. The history of EPCOT and Celebration, FL are the only theme park aspects I care about.

The Anti-Disney Fanboys are a nightmare to deal with. In classic cartoon circles, they usually can be mixed with the Disney Purists. Everything that is modern Disney is pure EVIL, but they also bash Walt's films to pieces over the most latent things.
Much of this group poses their opinions as undeniable facts, and go out of their way to invalidate the Disney niche, and much of their accomplishments thereof. Any attempt at intelligent conversation easily falls into the "Warner Bros. is better than Disney" rut; if you come to Disney's defense, you're automatically a cultist, but don't you dare talk mean about Tex Avery or one of WB's "accepted" classics! :-/
Last edited by Semaj on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

that thread was hilarious what Timon/Pumbaa fan said. it cracks me up every time I read that.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif