R.I.P THOMAS KINKADE

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

PatrickvD wrote:As sad as his passing is, I've always found his work to be butt ugly.
Yeah, while I don't want to disrespect the guy and feel sorry for his family ect the dude had no sense of color pallet. He just uses pretty colors all willy nilly. This self proclaimed "painter of light" doesn't even understand how light works. Call it intentional all you want, I say this is just an excuse for lack of skill.
Last edited by Kyle on Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Why does he show villains in some pictures but not in others?

Anyway, may he rest in peace, and I feel bad because this feels sudden. I had just discovered this guy's work with the dream or whatever pieces that I saw a while ago. He was only 54. It seems way too soon and unexpected. Wasn't he in the middle of some series' for Disney?

As for his art...well, I agree, if he makes art like Walt made movies but didn't do everything himself, also like Tim Burton, then people just need to know that.

But as for his art itself...well, I like some of the parts and ideas of his pictures, but some other things I hate. For one I hate that he doesn't set all the parts of his pictures accurately from actual places from the films, he makes some stuff up using what I'm guessing are other, real places.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

carolinakid wrote:A lot of people hated Norman Rockwell too.
A lot of people also like eating deep-fried butter but I'm not sure what you're getting out of that. And if Thomas Kinkade become suddenly much more appreciated fifty years later, then I'll owe you guys all a Coke.

Also I'm surprised this bunch is letting him off so easy for that time he peed on Winnie the Pooh (amongst other things).
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

LMAO at one customer calling him the Leonardo da Vinci or Monet of our generation. if the shit the article says about him is true, then he's nothing but a hack.

I never heard any hatred for Norman Rockwell. That one is new to me. Where this steam from or why they hate him?
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

I think this whole "I HATE/LOVE KINKADE" has taught us that if you go very far to sell yourself as a trusted quality brand then you have to be careful with what you do and say in life.

But that aside, I'm honestly not THAT shaken up about what I read in the article, because I've stopped seeing people, even the extremely talented prodigy ones (your mileage may vary depending on who is on the spotlight), as being above or below us. We as a society has the nasty tendency of taking the really talented people and putting them on a pedestal so high up that when they fall it will be worse. It's very clear that in Kinkade's case he had a long following of haters that were either genuinely against how he painted or were just bitter and jealous, so the news of him misbehaving was like striking gold.

I will conclude all of my ramblings with this... I really loved his Disney theme artwork but wasn't enough to follow his own art, and I respect him as the man he was first, regardless if his intentions were geniunely good or just an image he created to sell himself.
ImageImageImageImage

Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Super Aurora wrote:LMAO at one customer calling him the Leonardo da Vinci or Monet of our generation. if the shit the article says about him is true, then he's nothing but a hack.
She said A modern day Leonardo or Monet. Yes, it's still preposterous, but not quite as bad.

Super Aurora wrote:I never heard any hatred for Norman Rockwell. That one is new to me. Where this steam from or why they hate him?
Yea I heard about that too. It seems anyone who paints idealistic paintings that make one feel warm and fuzzy or seem too simple get trashed by grumpy art elitists.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Again with the grumpy art elitists.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

SpringHeelJack wrote:A lot of people also like eating deep-fried butter but I'm not sure what you're getting out of that.
I smell Paula Deen.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

enigmawing wrote:
SpringHeelJack wrote:A lot of people also like eating deep-fried butter but I'm not sure what you're getting out of that.
I smell Paula Deen.
Does she smell like Crisco and butter?
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

SpringHeelJack wrote:Does she smell like Crisco and butter?
Apparently.

Oy. Can you tell I've been on a diet?
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

...not Paula Deen's diet, I hope.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

SpringHeelJack wrote:...not Paula Deen's diet, I hope.
MORE BUTTER, BLAST YOU!!! Wait, where was I?
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Those butter balls sound yummy.

And very unhealthy.

You two are yummy too.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

enigmawing wrote:MORE BUTTER, BLAST YOU!!! Wait, where was I?
Maybe you should try the OTHER Paula Deen diet, where someone hits you in the face with a ham and thus you can't eat solid foods for a week. I hear Paula somehow managed to make do with only butter milkshakes for the duration.
a-net-fan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by a-net-fan »

I loved his paintings of Victorian homes. I always wished Disney or somebody would do an animated feature or short in the theme and style of his paintings.
JUST ANOTHER 27 YEAR OLD DISNEY BUFF.....