Lady and the Tramp Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Lady and the Tramp Discussion

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I wish I had this movie to revisit before typing up my thoughts on it. It's only been a little over a year since I last saw it, though... truly a quality film! I'm not at all an animal lover, but the story here really is endearing, and the characters are both fully dog but yet fully personified. From what I remember, the animation is beautiful as well.

It's not Disney's strongest offering of songs, but it still has some good ones. My favorite is probably Bella Notte, but the Siamese Cat song is a close competitor. The Beu Sisters do a great cover of He's A Tramp on DisneyMania 2, btw. Hilary & Haylie Duff do a cover of the Siamese Cat song, too, which is also good, but not quite as good. Hopefully they'll be included in the upcoming Platinum Edition DVD, which I can't wait for (probably won't appear until '07, though).

L&tT also spawned one of Disney's better sequels, imo, even though it did slightly rehash the original.

Lady and the Tramp is a classic that I really enjoy, though haven't seen as much as I would like. It succeeds with being emotional but not sappy, and while it's not my favorite animated classic (I know that for many, it is), it certainly deserves its spot in the platinum lineup as one of the better classics.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
TheZue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by TheZue »

This is one of my all time favorite Disney movies. I've always had a Cocker Spaniel (doesn't feel like home without one) and Lady's character captures a well bred cocker perfectly:)

The siamese cats are a hoot too! I doubt they'd ever get away with putting something like that in a movie now; but it's one of the funniest Disney scenes ever.
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

I havent seen this movie in a while but I have seen the sequal. I always thought Lady and the Tramp was such a sweet movie. My favorite part is when the tramp helps Lady run away from the pet store and she has the muzzle. They go to the zoo so that they can try to get it off. its where thier adventure really begins. And of course who can forget the spagethi secene? one of the best movies its actualy a bit sad that we have to wait so long for the PE.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Yeah, I'm alwayd impressed by the fact the spaghetti scene is among the more famous scenes in cinematic history.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Twitter - @aaronspod
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

The best thing about L&tT is how the Cinimascope version actually uses the wide canvas for a reason. The wide image is mixed with low angle shots which really give the impression of the viewer being a dog themselves and low to the ground.

As for the story, it's a departure from the normal Disney animated film. Apart from animals talking (of course) there's no magic, no evil plot to be foiled, and no overall climax or villain really. It's simply a mild romantic comedy (with the emphasis on romance rather then comedy).

Of course the Disney film it most resembles is 101 Dalmatians. I must say I prefer 101 Dalmatians a lot more.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
IggieKuzco
Special Edition

Post by IggieKuzco »

i dunno i just always luved how sweet the connection is between the... especially between Lady, Trusty, and Jock... :)
also... the sadness of lady being left alone as a puppy at the begining of the movie... always touched me...

(btw... im back ppl :twisted: )
55 days 'till Jack is back

They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head. - Blackadder the Third
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Netty makes a good point, and I think that often really weakens films. At least, my personal taste prefers a movie that is strong in the elements that LatT lacks (as Netty mentioned). Still, I really enjoy it. Perhaps that is because of the connection that Iggie points out.

-Aaron
• Twitter - @aaronspod
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Are we going to start disscussions on every animated classic now? I'll start one.
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

IggieKuzco wrote:i dunno i just always luved how sweet the connection is between the... especially between Lady, Trusty, and Jock... :)
also... the sadness of lady being left alone as a puppy at the begining of the movie... always touched me...

(btw... im back ppl :twisted: )
Amazing those were the parts that always got me. Especially when Lady was a puppy and they were trying to make her sleep in the kitchen. I rmemeber asking my mom why they were doing that to her. Lol :lol: looking back now its just silly but I remember feeling bad for lady especailly when she why cry or whine.
DDMAN26
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DDMAN26 »

Sith Lord to answer your question

Well as the one who started these threads(but not the one who kept them going, thanks awallaceunc) :D I just thought it would be interesting to get a good dialogue going about some of these films.
Most Anticpated: Watchmen Terminator Salvation Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Right-o. DDMan started it up with Snow White, and we've done one every few days/once a week or so for a while now. I just started one up and kind of fell into posting the new ones. It was a great idea, DDMan! As I've said before, feel free to step back in anytime you want- just let me know. I really enjoy these discussions. :)

Sith- what are your thoughts on LatT?

2007 seems so far away. :(

-Aaron
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Pluto
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pluto »

I think its a great movie, i like all the movie!!!!!
LovelyBelle

Post by LovelyBelle »

TheZue wrote: The siamese cats are a hoot too! I doubt they'd ever get away with putting something like that in a movie now
Really? Why not?
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

I like the movie, but it is one of my least favorite animated classics. Some points of the movie get dull and boring just like Cinderella.

I havn't seen the movie in a while so maybe next time it won't be as dull for me.
jediliz
Special Edition

Post by jediliz »

I ADORE this movie! And so does my soon to be 5 year old niece. I can't wait for the platinum edition. My copy of the movie on video will probably wear out one day and I'll have to have the dvd.

The direct to video sequel was adorable, but unfortunately, not as good as the original.
DDMAN26
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DDMAN26 »

awallaceunc

I would like to but I'm moving in a few weeks and won't have access to a computer, so feel free to keep it going
Most Anticpated: Watchmen Terminator Salvation Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
DDMAN26
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DDMAN26 »

Oh and by the way Lady and the Tramp is a very cute and enjoyable movie
TheZue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by TheZue »

LovelyBelle wrote:
TheZue wrote: The siamese cats are a hoot too! I doubt they'd ever get away with putting something like that in a movie now
Really? Why not?
It would be considered way too racist now. It has a ton of Asian stereotypes wrapped up in in the form of two really nasty cats. I haven't seen a siamese cat drawn like that in years and years and years either.
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

This Disscussion made me want to watch the movie so I did and after seeing I forgot how much I totlay liked it. Somone mentioned earlier that there was no real villian in the movie and I agree. Now however if a person really thougbt about it couldn't Aunt Sarah and the stupid Rat which was really narly looking be consider the villian. Aunt Sarah was totlay mean to Lady I don't know Lol but I dont like her at all. But thats just me :) .
DisneyGirl
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyGirl »

awallaceunc wrote:Yeah, I'm alwayd impressed by the fact the spaghetti scene is among the more famous scenes in cinematic history.
Yup, you can't order a plate of spaghetti with your significant other and not at least think about Lady and the Tramp.
DisneyGirl

Image After All These Years...& Still Wishing On Stars Image

My Collections