Disney/Touchstone BD Wave - 7/3/12

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

As happy as I am about this news...it has me wondering. I might wait on most of these titles till Disney All Access starts. If they are going to offer HD movies as streamline purchases, there are a lot of these movies I would like to own, but don't necessarily need a hard copy of. Of course I'll buy the animated films, and some of my other personal favorites, but it will be interesting to see if these are being rushed to get people to buy hardcopies before the films go on sale online.
reyquila
Anniversary Edition

Post by reyquila »

Barbossa wrote:Treasure Planet and Home on the Range for me as those are DACs. Should get seperate threads started for these two.

reyquila already put in a pre-order for the whole list. :wink: :lol:
:D
WDW Trips: 1992,1997,2005,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009-10 (Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside), 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2022.
Disneyland Trips: 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) and 2016
Disney Cruises: 2007, 2010 (Wonder) and 2012 (Dream).
My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Re: Disney/Touchstone BD Wave - 7/3/12

Post by jpanimation »

zackisthewalrus wrote:Treasure Planet (Animated)
Home on the Range (Animated)
I mentioned this in another thread but seriously? Disney's two biggest flops get Blu-rays before Hunchback or Hercules? Disney celebrates Treasure Planet's 10th Anniversary but Lilo & Stitch just get blown off (also celebrating a 10th). How about Aladdin's 20th Anniversary, isn't that worth celebrating? They'll probably be either barebones or paired with cheapquels.

It's like Disney is releasing all my least favorite movies first. I'd love to see The Emperor's New Groove, Aladdin, Lilo & Stitch and Mulan get some love or even have Disney acknowledge Hunchback and Hercules existence.

Still, I'm excited for The Absent-Minded Professor.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

jpanimation wrote:I mentioned this in another thread but seriously? Disney's two biggest flops get Blu-rays before Hunchback or Hercules? Disney celebrates Treasure Planet's 10th Anniversary but Lilo & Stitch just get blown off (also celebrating a 10th). How about Aladdin's 20th Anniversary, isn't that worth celebrating? They'll probably be either barebones or paired with cheapquels.

It's like Disney is releasing all my least favorite movies first. I'd love to see The Emperor's New Groove, Aladdin, Lilo & Stitch and Mulan get some love or even have Disney acknowledge Hunchback and Hercules existence.
Disney is now releasing Aladdin as a Diamond Edition; it was confirmed in the booklet for Lady and the Tramp. As far as the back catalogue is concerned, it looks as though their tactic is, within a certain time frame, to put out an even balance of fairly popular films (such as Pocahontas, The Aristocats) alongside less popular films (such as Home on the Range). I know that it does seem odd that Treasure Planet would get a 10th Anniversary Edition over Lilo and Stitch, but I'm sure that we'll see that film, and the others you mentioned, in good time. I too worry, however, about Disney pairing sequels with originals, especially as far as films with absolutely diabolical sequels are concerned (read: The Hunchback of Notre Dame II).
KACENAID
Gold Classic Collection

Post by KACENAID »

jpanimation wrote:
zackisthewalrus wrote:Treasure Planet (Animated)
Home on the Range (Animated)
I mentioned this in another thread but seriously? Disney's two biggest flops get Blu-rays before Hunchback or Hercules? Disney celebrates Treasure Planet's 10th Anniversary but Lilo & Stitch just get blown off (also celebrating a 10th).

I agree with you, most specifically with regard to Hunchback and Hercules. Disney just continuously seems to be giving these two films the stiff arm, while all of the other films of that era have gotten respectable re-releases, in some cases 2 re-releases with Blu-ray included either currently or in the near future. I agree with your point on Lilo and Stitch, although it was awesome getting that 2 hour plus documentary on the Big Wave Edition DVD. That feature alone can tide me over...for now.
Philo & Gunge

Post by Philo & Gunge »

Hmmmm... no Blu-ray release of Who Framed Roger Rabbit yet? I guess Disney has plans for that one bigger than these catalog releases.

Though I will buy the Ed Wood Blu-ray at least. No doubt in my mind about that.
Micheal Eisner was counting his money and he got DIZZNEY!
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

This thread is sort of a painful reminder of how a lot of Disney's films aren't important enough to me for Blu-ray upgrading. Unless I could do so for five bucks or something. Er, you listening, Buena Vista? :p
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

enigmawing wrote:Er, you listening, Buena Vista? :p
It's Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, now! :P
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
MagicMouse

Post by MagicMouse »

Cover art for Ed Wood and Beaches :

©Disney Enterprises

©Disney Enterprises
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Sotiris wrote:
enigmawing wrote:Er, you listening, Buena Vista? :p
It's Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, now! :P
Old habits die hard. :D
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

enigmawing wrote:
Sotiris wrote: It's Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, now! :P
Old habits die hard. :D
I still call them Buena Vista, too. Not only does it give one a sense of nostalgia, but it's a lot shorter to say/write :lol:
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

^

I didn't even like the first movie. Why would the sequel's Blu-Ray be a big deal???????
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

The first movie is a modern classic. The second was pretty good too. The third was not great.

But the series as a whole seems to have quite a big fanbase. And for good reason, in my opinion.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I'm happy to see it looks like the Santa Clause films will be available in separate releases. I only want the first one.
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:
zackisthewalrus wrote: Beginning in October Disney will release Hocus Pocus
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So so so so so so excited for this release!!!!
As am IFinally!!!! The song alone is spellbinding
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

SWillie! wrote:The first movie is a modern classic.
Um... "okay." (For people who are already a little regressed.) If I may, though, I'd say it's just a needless screwball comedy for people who actually think Tim Allen is funny. Tell me one thing that's classic about it. Rather than dated or painfully popularizing an awful trend (fat suit comedy... and no, it certainly wasn't the first- Nothing but Trouble). And I wanted to take that little kid actor playing the son and drop him into a wood chipper. While it was on (of course).

SWillie! wrote:The second was pretty good too.
Um... NO. No.

And, my hands have been tied, you now deserve this:

<iframe src="http://blip.tv/play/AYLiolgC.html?p=1" width="480" height="390" frameborder="0"></iframe><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://a.blip.tv/api.swf#AYLiolgC"></embed>

SWillie! wrote:The third was not great.
(Neither was the first one.)

SWillie! wrote:But the series as a whole seems to have quite a big fanbase. And for good reason, in my opinion.
Too much time on their hands and no sense of taste.

That's good reason?
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Lazario wrote:
SWillie! wrote:The first movie is a modern classic.
Um... "okay." (For people who are already a little regressed.)

What does this even mean??
Lazario wrote:If I may, though, I'd say it's just a needless screwball comedy for people who actually think Tim Allen is funny. Tell me one thing that's classic about it. Rather than dated or painfully popularizing an awful trend (fat suit comedy... and no, it certainly wasn't the first- Nothing but Trouble). And I wanted to take that little kid actor playing the son and drop him into a wood chipper. While it was on (of course).
Well, I suppose I'm a sucker for any "Magic of Christmas" movies. I don't think it's strictly a fat-suit comedy. It has a WHOLE lot more to it. The family struggles, the father/son relationship, the "true meaning" of Christmas. Plus, it's pretty funny. And I definitely don't see what's wrong with the kid... I think he's great?

Certainly people my age, that more or less grew up with the film, are extremely fond of it.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:Hocus Pocus Blu-Ray Cover!:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p ... tcount=623
As much as I'd LOVE that cover, it looks fan made. The dead give away for me is the fact that it's so out of focus but the DMR logo and Disney Blu-ray logo are perfect.