The Little Mermaid: Diamond Edition - Fall 2013

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

My eyes, they're bleeding!!!

Okay yeah, that third one is alright, albeit a bit awkward the way Ursula is placed.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:I think there may be hope for Mermaid's cover, judging by how gorgeous the Peter Pan Diamond is for the US.
I was thinking the same, especially since Hunchback's cover looked really good, too. But TLM is a valuable asset to the princess line, so it's also likely to be super-colorful and cluttered like SW and B&tB's Diamond covers.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Agreed, hence why the teaser poster cover was probably fake. BATB was dull dull dull with that endlessly reused shot of the gazing ballroom dancing. Cinderella was better, with original/on model artwork which was a big bonus...but personally, I hated the fact it was pink-washed in the backgroud. There was zilch need for that.

If they do go down the "hey kids this is a PRINCESS MOVIE", I really hope they don't duplicate Ariel as a mermaid then in human form as well, floating somewhere on the cover. Hate that.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Peter Pan's Diamond Edition art is surprisingly amazing and great. Although the Platinum DVD that as we know was the best Platinum 2-disc DVD ever and the best art this century (note heavy sarcasm)
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Mooky wrote:As long as we're posting fake covers, here are fan-made French ones:

:o :o :o wow! beautiful covers!!!! I love that clipart of Ariel. she's so beautiful :D
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Even though I love that teaser poster, it again is Ariel shown in profile and quite dark ... doubtful they would use it ?
Though mind you, that was the shot used for the Broadway show, so it is iconic...who knows what Disney will do.

Fingers crossed they surprise us with something marvelous .... but expect something crap is the way to do it I say!

I'm guessing a documentary on the creation of the two rides is pretty much a given? If they do it well, could be a great feature.
rb_canadian181
Gold Classic Collection

Post by rb_canadian181 »

nomad2010 wrote:Image
I love the idea of having the original title font in the promotions again :) They did this with Cinderella for the Platinum and Diamond lines which I thought was nice.

The unfortunate thing I see with Disney marketing all of their DVD's with super cartoony and bright in-your-face illustrations is that they don't necessarily appeal to the die hard 'fans' of the movies like many of us here are. And we're the ones that are paying attention to the special features and loyally re-buying the same titles every few years as they change formats :P If they would even pay a glimpse of attention to this forum full of their most passionate consumers they might notice that for the most part we're strongly favourable of the 'teaser' artwork!
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Apparently, I'm the only one who actually liked the 2006 restoration. But I digress. The fanmade covers look amazing and I only hope the official cover art is just as amazing, if not better. :)
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

So people ... thoughts on special features / lack of ?
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

DisneyJedi wrote:Apparently, I'm the only one who actually liked the 2006 restoration.
I liked it, too. What was wrong with it, supposedly?
(I still want an entirely new restoration though!).
miklc
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miklc »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:So people ... thoughts on special features / lack of ?
I'm hoping that all the Platinum's bonus features are ported over as "Classic DVD Features"

As for new content I'm excited to what might be included however given Disney's treatment of Cinderella (not to mention other low key releases in the UK!) I don't want to get my hopes up. I'm thinking there might be something about the new restoration and it returning to theatres, which would be cool

What I would love is:

Trailers-Original 1989 Theatrical Trailer, 1997 Re-release trailers (I think there were two, they're both on YouTube) and the 2006 Platinum trailer

TV Spots: Various commercials for TLM through it's various releases and commercials for merchandise that have been released to coincide with the releases PLUS the special 1989 US McDonalds commercial that featured animation of Ariel, Flounder and Sebastian featured here <-That would be freakin' awesome!

I would also like a documentary titled something like A Mermaid's Legacy that chronicles Ariel's triumphs during her first (well almost) 25 years- films initial success, Voyage of TLM (still running more than 20 years later!), TV Series, Sequel, Prequel, Broadway Show (which is apparently making a comeback), Joining the Princess franchise at the start of 2000s, possibly even the new Fantasyland Expansion and something at the end to commemorate for upcoming 25th Anniversary

If we got something along those lines I would be really happy! It would be really nostalgic taking a look back at Ariel and friends through the years :D

I wonder when we will find out what's actually coming with this release. It will also be interesting to see whether the BluRay releases of the sequels are packaged together like Cindy or whether they're separate like Lion's, I hope all of Return to the Sea's SE features are retained and that they use the version with the altered animation- They might even alter more of the botched animation this time around! Yeah unlikely oh well I am just ecstatic to finally own my all time favourite movie on BluRay
Last edited by miklc on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
I love The Little Mermaid and Ariel
GreatGreg
Gold Classic Collection

Post by GreatGreg »

rb_canadian181 wrote:
nomad2010 wrote:Image
The unfortunate thing I see with Disney marketing all of their DVD's with super cartoony and bright in-your-face illustrations is that they don't necessarily appeal to the die hard 'fans' of the movies like many of us here are. And we're the ones that are paying attention to the special features and loyally re-buying the same titles every few years as they change formats :P If they would even pay a glimpse of attention to this forum full of their most passionate consumers they might notice that for the most part we're strongly favourable of the 'teaser' artwork!
I think you answered your own question.

Disney knows that die-hard adult fans will buy the release no matter what -- several times in fact.

In fact, I'm sure some of us on this forum will buy multiple copies of the same film to get different variant covers and slipcovers!

What Disney needs to grab in a big way are the casual consumers and the 3-4 yr old kids who would not recognize Ariel in a shadowy profile, but will run to the display seeing Ariel surrounded by talking, singing sea creatures.

Disney hasn't been in the habit of re-using old poster art lately for BD releases, (except for the Best Buy/Future Shop exclusive Metal Box edition of CINDERELLA) so I would expect bright new artwork.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Well, know Im one of the "hardcore fans" (though I dont necessarily buy every release of every film I love), but I would really like a making-of that focused a bit more on the actual making of the film.

I felt the doc on the platinum edition was good, but focused more on the circumstances at the studio than the actual making of the film. There was little to no mention of the use of live action reference (or samples of it), the fact that this was the last xeroxed film (and an explanation of that process) and the overall challenges of animating this film.

It was like "this was the studio at the time", "these were the people involved", "these guys wrote the music" and "this was the reaction".

And I would like to see a stronger featurette about TLM at the park...
miklc
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miklc »

I am also hoping that the 80s/90s Blue Castle is kept at the beginning of the film and not replaced with the current CGI Castle. Whenever I see the Blue Castle playing and hear the music I'm instantly taken back to childhood and I will be bitterly annoyed if they remove it.

Obviously I expect them to use the CGI Castle for the 3D Version and I'm fine about that but they had better leave it on the original 2D Version
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I 100% agree that there should be a big feature of her presence in the parks....like you say, she has her own show thats been running for years, her grotto, now two rides, and all her Princess duties as well. Something worth having a feature on to be sure.

I've forgotten, did they replace the logo in front of BATB ?
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote: I've forgotten, did they replace the logo in front of BATB ?
They used the new CGI one.

I agree about the old castle and the music - it makes me really nostalgic and it's kind of their trademark. But I've also gotten used to the CGI one... It's very festive and fitting for a Blu-ray Diamond release and the overall sharp look of the film(s)...
miklc
Gold Classic Collection

Post by miklc »

rodis wrote:
atlanticaunderthesea wrote: I've forgotten, did they replace the logo in front of BATB ?
They used the new CGI one.

I agree about the old castle and the music - it makes me really nostalgic and it's kind of their trademark. But I've also gotten used to the CGI one... It's very festive and fitting for a Blu-ray Diamond release and the overall sharp look of the film(s)...
I still hoping they might keep it and only put the CGI one in front of the 3D Version because I know they've retained the RKO title card on the front of the likes of Cinderella released after Beauty. That could just be me wishful thinking though!

I agree there is a festivity to the new castle and I do still like it on new releases but for me the 80s/90s captures pure childhood magic simply because it's what I remember, it always reminds me of watching Mermaid specifically for some reason, probably because I watched it that many times!
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

I have a question about the non-English folk in here.

Has Little Mermaid been redubbed in your country as well and what country was that? Do you know the reason behind this?
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

Nope. Here in the Netherlands there is only one dub.
Magic.Mirror

Post by Magic.Mirror »

Lnds500 wrote:I have a question about the non-English folk in here.

Has Little Mermaid been redubbed in your country as well and what country was that? Do you know the reason behind this?
I know that alot of countries got new dub for the 1999 re release but I dont know the reason
here in the middle east it was the first dub at that time and its still the only one