Saving Mr. Banks

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Re: Disney Acquires Script about the Making of 'Mary Poppins

Post by Lnds500 »

PatrickvD wrote:To be honest, I have no idea what to expect. But I'm highly anticipating it though.
+1

The people making it completely mess up my expectations.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Re:

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Marce82 wrote:Ha... I like those choices for Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke... they kinda look like them for real. So with the right make up, costumes.... it could be great!

In all fairness.... Dick Van Dyke looks amazing in real life as it is. I would say color his hair, and have him play himself 45 yrs ago :)
Perfect choices! I hope Julia and Dick have cameo parts. BTW, I just found this:

http://youtu.be/16-EElxO0x0

It's Kris, auditioning for Dick and yeah, he's perfect
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Tom Hanks Reveals the Pressures of Playing Disney: "I Don't Want to Piss Anybody Off!"

One of Hollywood's most beloved actors, Tom Hanks, playing one of the world's most beloved legends, Walt Disney? Seems like Saving Mr. Banks should be the perfect fit! But that doesn't mean there isn't a certain amount of pressure in taking on the man who created Mickey Mouse.

"I don't want to piss anybody off. I want to be accurate, more than anything else," Tom told us last night at the L.A. premiere of American Master: Inventing David Geffen presented by the Peggy Siegal Company. "John Lee Hancock is the director, and it's really the story of Emma Thompson more than it's about me, so, you know, I don't want to screw up."

And, if you had any doubts, it appears that he isn't. "They haven't fired me, so so far so good!" he joked about filming the movie, which centers on how Mary Poppins came to the big screen (Thompson plays Poppins author P.L. Travers).

o research the role, Hanks explained, "I went up to the Disney Family Museum at the Presidio in San Francisco. At first, I just went up to meet Diane Disney, who is Walt's daughter, and some of the staff up there, but then they invited me back up again on a day it was closed.

"They just opened up all the exhibits for me, and I saw every piece of film and heard every piece of audio," he continued. "I also have like 39 hours of informal interviews. It's one thing to see him when he talks on TV but another thing to get him when he's just having a conversation."

So what has the two-time Academy Award-winning actor learned about Walt that surprised him? "He's a fascinating guy, because what we have is this benevolent animator who would introduce us to his cartoon characters," Tom revealed. "But what he was was very tough, competitive and a very loyal businessman that invented an art form that is still going great guns today. To Walt Disney, ladies and gentlemen!"

As for that mustache he's grown to channel Mr. Disney, well, it's apparently not a hit in the Hanks household. "She hates it!" Tom joked about wife Rita Wilson, who was also in attendance and stuck by her husband's side most of the night. "But it's not as bad as a few other things she's had to endure."

For the record, we happen to like it.

Conspiracy theorists, here's the part where you'll want to pay attention. There is one aspect of Disney's legacy that won't be tackled in the movie: the long-running urban legend that the animator had himself cryogenically frozen. "That's an interesting dog's tale. It's not true," Hanks shot us down before coyly adding, "At least that's what I've been told to say."
I've heard a lot of people saying this could be nominated for Best Picture is in the hunt for Oscar Gold. I'm not sure I can remember when a Disney Live Action film was nominated for Best Picture in a long time. If this is successful, perhaps Disney will do more of these types of bio pics.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

disneyboy20022 wrote:I'm not sure I can remember when a Disney Live Action film was nominated for Best Picture in a long time.
Mary Poppins was the first and last Disney live-action film to be nominated for Best Picture.

But if we count Disney's other branches, then there's...

Touchstone:
Dead Poets Society (1989)
The Insider (1999, with Forward Pass)
The Help (2011, with DreamWorks)
War Horse (2011, with DreamWorks)
Lincoln (2012, with DreamWorks & Fox)

Miramax:
Pulp Fiction (1994)
The English Patient (1996, win)
Good Will Hunting (1997)
Shakespeare in Love (1998, win)
The Cider House Rules (1999)
Chocolat (2000)
In the Bedroom (2001)
Chicago (2002, win)
Gangs of New York (2002)
The Hours (2002, with Paramount)
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003, with Fox & Universal)
The Aviator (2004, with Warner Bros.)
Finding Neverland (2004)
No Country for Old Men (2007, with Paramount Vantage, win)
There Will Be Blood (2007, with Paramount)

Hollywood Pictures:
Quiz Show (1994)
The Sixth Sense (1999, with Spyglass).

And of course, there's Beauty and the Beast (1991), the sole nominee from their animation studios, along with Pixar's Up (2009) and Toy Story 3 (2010).

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Re: Saving Mr. Banks

Post by Lnds500 »

Unveiled by Time, the picture shows Hanks alongside Emma Thompson in John Lee Hancock's Saving Mr Banks.

The story centres on Mary Poppins author PL Travers (Thompson) as she moves from London to Hollywood to work with Disney on his adaptation of her book.

Hanks has admitted that he feels intense pressure to portray Disney accurately.

The script is written by Kelly Marcel, who is also penning Focus Features' upcoming Fifty Shades of Grey adaptation.

Colin Farrell, Paul Giamatti, Jason Schwartzman and Ruth Wilson are among the supporting cast.

Saving Mr Banks is due for release in cinemas in the US and UK on December 20, 2013.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news ... z2Yeph4NDk
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I saw that this morning. Very exciting, I hope we get a trailer soon!

Side note: can you imagine a time when you could visit Disneyland and possibly catch a glimpse of Uncle Walt in the flesh?
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Jason Schwartzman. Now things just got awesome.

I just hope the pressure for Hanks to portray him "accurately" isn't just to fit the Studio's image of him.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

ajmrowland wrote:Jason Schwartzman. Now things just got awesome.

I just hope the pressure for Hanks to portray him "accurately" isn't just to fit the Studio's image of him.
From what I have read, Walt is not portrayed in any sort of negative light-- which really, isn't that to be expected from Disney? He's also more of a supporting player to Thompson's Travers, so to that end, I don't believe the movie will feel like some hagiographic account of how Disney conquered the evil Travers against unbeatable odds. The movie is more of an exploration of why "Mary Poppins" was just so important to Ms. Travers beyond an author's usual possessiveness.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

UmbrellaFish wrote:
ajmrowland wrote:Jason Schwartzman. Now things just got awesome.

From what I have read, Walt is not portrayed in any sort of negative light-- which really, isn't that to be expected from Disney? He's also more of a supporting player to Thompson's Travers, so to that end, I don't believe the movie will feel like some hagiographic account of how Disney conquered the evil Travers against unbeatable odds. The movie is more of an exploration of why "Mary Poppins" was just so important to Ms. Travers beyond an author's usual possessiveness.
Exactly. And I wouldn't mind if they represent Walt as the businessman that he was. We all love to complain about Disney's current management, but I'm pretty sure Walt knew how to fire people. Though I think the major lay-offs at the animation studio predate the events in this film, so like you said, he'll probably be a supporting role in Tarvers' story.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Looks wonderful. Really looking forward to it. Novak and Schwartman's portrayal of the Shermans definitely brought a smile to my face.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

Nice to see that Disney is making a movie, that explains why P.L. Travers acted the way she did....from history we learned that she was all negative about Disney's vision and tried to prevent it from being made etc, and still the company is making a movie that will put this woman in a positive perspective....That's what I call a beautiful gesture...
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Toky wrote:Nice to see that Disney is making a movie, that explains why P.L. Travers acted the way she did....from history we learned that she was all negative about Disney's vision and tried to prevent it from being made etc, and still the company is making a movie that will put this woman in a positive perspective....That's what I call a beautiful gesture...
Who said that?

Regarding the trailer, I'd love to know which is fact and which is fiction.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

It looks sensational and I can't wait to see it!
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

Lnds500 wrote:
Toky wrote:Nice to see that Disney is making a movie, that explains why P.L. Travers acted the way she did....from history we learned that she was all negative about Disney's vision and tried to prevent it from being made etc, and still the company is making a movie that will put this woman in a positive perspective....That's what I call a beautiful gesture...
Who said that?

Regarding the trailer, I'd love to know which is fact and which is fiction.
It's obvious Disney it hitting on our sentiment...I mean a little Travers who is looking sad into our eyes and the fact she had her own Mary to save her daddy.....Travers hated the movie for being too sweet etc (I've read the books and can confirm It's a totally different character, nowhere near the rose-apple cheeked Andrews)....So the trailer going into the 'Lets put this woman into a good perspective' mode, was unexpected to me....
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Toky wrote:It's obvious Disney it hitting on our sentiment...I mean a little Travers who is looking sad into our eyes and the fact she had her own Mary to save her daddy.....Travers hated the movie for being too sweet etc (I've read the books and can confirm It's a totally different character, nowhere near the rose-apple cheeked Andrews)....So the trailer going into the 'Lets put this woman into a good perspective' mode, was unexpected to me....
Yeah but that doesn't mean it's gonna ends like this.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

It looks awesome.

I could see Tom Hanks picking up some awards. He is definitely playing the side of Walt we never saw. Which is the most intriguing part of this. The business man, who would always get what he wants.

And Emma Thompson is amazing as well. I loved the part where she wants The Shermans to stop making up words and then they hide the sheet music for Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. (I love that apple recognized that word by the way, bless my macbook and myself for typing it correctly in one go). :lol:

Anyway, this looks way beyond what I was expecting.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Lnds500 wrote:Regarding the trailer, I'd love to know which is fact and which is fiction.
The trip to Disneyland may be entierly fabricated. That and the park did not look like that in the early 60s. Turnstiles were different, trees were not as large, buildings were different colours, no brick pathways on Main Street and Fantasyland was totally different. Even the carousel had a different canopy and different coloured horses instead of the all white steeds now.
Pokeholic_Prince
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokeholic_Prince »

Saw the trailer and I gotta say, I'm even more excited now than I was before.

Tom Hanks looks the part and he's an amazing actor. Emma Thompson will do great as Mrs. Travers and it's mostly her story. The score is being done my Thomas Newman and he is one of the best composers out there.

I felt like a kid watching this trailer. The Sherman Brothers part is my favorite of the trailer, i couldn't stop laughing.

I hope this movie gets serious Oscar presence., much like "Mary Poppins" did way back when.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:
Lnds500 wrote:Regarding the trailer, I'd love to know which is fact and which is fiction.
The trip to Disneyland may be entierly fabricated. That and the park did not look like that in the early 60s. Turnstiles were different, trees were not as large, buildings were different colours, no brick pathways on Main Street and Fantasyland was totally different. Even the carousel had a different canopy and different coloured horses instead of the all white steeds now.
I don't think it was within the budget to shut large areas of Disneyland down for several days of shooting and repaint whole rides to fit the time period. :P