Aladdin - Diamond Edition

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
abenotgabe
Gold Classic Collection

Post by abenotgabe »

I wouldn't be too surprised if Aladdin gets a 3D release in theatres and on blu-ray. TLK did really good and from what I've read, Beauty is not doing too bad. As for the special features, I normally don't care for them, but I would like them to port over the recording session of "A Whole New World" with Lea Salonga and Brad Kane. Can't wait to see the cover art for this.
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

Victurtle wrote:Uhm, what's your problem? Disney (US Home Video) never officially stated Aladdin was removed from the Diamond Edition line.
That's wrong. When Disney announced the Diamond Edition line, they listed all films, which were going to be part of it in their press release. Aladdin wasn't one of them.
All there were all rumors/release schedules from overseas countries, where Aladdin has never been platinum (this line didn't exist for most countries until 101 Dalmatians).
Wrong again. The Platinum Edition line was from the beginning worldwide the same. And all releases were going back into the vault at the same time- including Aladdin. Just because they called it "Special Edition" till Peter Pan doesn't make it a totally different line.
Besides, it's not like our local Disney subsidiaries have any power about what they release and at what time. Yes right, they released a Musical Masterpiece Edition of Aladdin in Europe- because Disney Burbank told them to do so (which they hadn't, if they'd planned at that time to release Aladdin again as part of the Platinum/ Diamond Edition).
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

DisneyJedi wrote:
Lnds500 wrote: who said it's gonna be on Blu-ray? ;)
Well, for all we know, it's probably gonna be 3D blu-ray. I don't even know any other format that could come around by then.
They might end up NOT releasing "Sleeping Beauty" on a physical format. There is a good chance in this decade that Disney start releasing digital version only. Then again, it might get a Blu-ray 3D release. Time will tell...

Pasta67 wrote:
we won't see a lot of new extras simply because the platinum edition's extras were amazing!
Which is exactly why I'm so worried about what Disney will inevitably drop from this release. Aladdin received what was possibly Disney's greatest 2-disc DVD release ever, and there's no way 2012-Disney is going to port all of that over.

But as close to perfect as it was, there's still plenty of new material they can add. The Platinum release barely even scratched the surface in the "deleted songs" section, for example.
If I was a betting man, I'd say it will have a few new extras on a single disc that drops just about everyone of the original 2-disc DVD version's extras save for putting them in the "digital vault." Hope you saved your 2-disc DVD, you may want to keep it.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

Scamander wrote:
Victurtle wrote:Uhm, what's your problem? Disney (US Home Video) never officially stated Aladdin was removed from the Diamond Edition line.
That's wrong. When Disney announced the Diamond Edition line, they listed all films, which were going to be part of it in their press release. Aladdin wasn't one of them.
All there were all rumors/release schedules from overseas countries, where Aladdin has never been platinum (this line didn't exist for most countries until 101 Dalmatians).
Wrong again. The Platinum Edition line was from the beginning worldwide the same. And all releases were going back into the vault at the same time- including Aladdin. Just because they called it "Special Edition" till Peter Pan doesn't make it a totally different line.
Besides, it's not like our local Disney subsidiaries have any power about what they release and at what time. Yes right, they released a Musical Masterpiece Edition of Aladdin in Europe- because Disney Burbank told them to do so (which they hadn't, if they'd planned at that time to release Aladdin again as part of the Platinum/ Diamond Edition).
I forgot about that press release. It became irrelevant when Fantasia became a special edition. As for the "special editions", in Australia they were identical to any other special edition such as Sleeping Beauty or Pocahontas. Not all countries follow PE/DE rules, Pinocchio and Snow White BDs are still widely available here, my BigW just restocked the shelves with them. I bought Beauty and the Beast on DVD 4 years ago in China (no, it wasn't a bootleg).

It still stands that Disney didn't pull a stunt, and thus does not deserve this aggression.

A stunt would be like the misadvertising of the Aristocats 2 disc special edition. However a new Aladdin BD release was never announced.

Here there is nothing to be angry about. No Dumbo-delay, no Aristocat-downgrade, nothing. If anything, it's something to celebrate. Your rebuttals don't address that aspect of my comment.
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

Victurtle wrote: Here there is nothing to be angry about. No Dumbo-delay, no Aristocat-downgrade, nothing. If anything, it's something to celebrate. Your rebuttals don't address that aspect of my comment.
Yes, because I agree with you in these points. :D
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

Yay :D

I can't wait to find out whether Aladdin will fixed his botched nose-job.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

YESSSSSSSSSSS! FINALLY! I've been waiting forever to buy Aladdin on DVD/Blu-ray!
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Barbossa wrote:
Lnds500 wrote: uhmm.. no. why would it mean that?

Um, Lion King, and BatB getting 3D releases recently?

I could see Aladdin getting one.
the 3d releases are announced already and aladdin isnt one of them
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Great news! Aladdin is an awesome movie, and it does deserve Diamond status. I hope we'll get some great bonus material, and I also hope for a later 3D conversion of Aladdin released on Blu-ray and in cinemas...
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

Imagine they just said Aladdin was coming so we all die happy when the world ends in december haha
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

ajmrowland wrote:the 3d releases are announced already and aladdin isnt one of them
the fact that Disney has announced some titles which will get a 3D conversion does not mean they'll stop at that. we're speculating what could happen if the rest of the 3D conversions fare well at the box office.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I just thought of this, perhaps they will advertise it as A Diamond From the Rough is coming out of the Disney Vault.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Lnds500 wrote:
ajmrowland wrote:the 3d releases are announced already and aladdin isnt one of them
the fact that Disney has announced some titles which will get a 3D conversion does not mean they'll stop at that. we're speculating what could happen if the rest of the 3D conversions fare well at the box office.
I know the Lion King was a big hit, and Beauty did well (but not as well as Lion) ..... so maybe they will carry on ?

Mind you, BATB still hasnt been given a release date over here. . .

If their 3D re-releases start to stall, only have themselves to blame. They are chronic for starting off with a good idea, then getting bored and trailing off.
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

So, when do you guys think we'll be getting cover art? Maybe over the summer, or closer to Cinderella's release? I'm kind of frightened by Diamond status for Aladdin. I mean, I love that we know we're actually getting it, but...I hate that it's probably going to have fugly-ass cover art and a dumb sideways title and will lack bonus features if the Lion King and Lady and the Tramp are any indication...

I honestly wish Aladdin HAD been kept off the Diamond line and they would've bumped Pocahontas up to next year and released Aladdin THIS year to capitalize on its 20 year anniversary (that way we'd have gotten Aladdin all the more sooner!) I never got the chance to get Aladdin on DVD (I fell out of love with Disney in my adolescence :roll: and it was only after high school ended for me that I began getting back into Disney. Luckily that was around the time the blu-rays for Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio had come out)
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

ProfessorRatigan wrote:So, when do you guys think we'll be getting cover art? Maybe over the summer, or closer to Cinderella's release? I'm kind of frightened by Diamond status for Aladdin. I mean, I love that we know we're actually getting it, but...I hate that it's probably going to have fugly-ass cover art and a dumb sideways title and will lack bonus features if the Lion King and Lady and the Tramp are any indication...
probably around the time Cinderella arrives, maybe a little earlier if it leaks like Cinderella's did.

I also think we won't get a lot of (new) extras for Aladdin but unlike you, I have the DVDs :/
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

disneyboy20022 wrote:I just thought of this, perhaps they will advertise it as A Diamond From the Rough is coming out of the Disney Vault.
That's pretty clever...I like it! :)
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

I gave Aladdin as friend (being my favorite Disney film) and knowing full well that he never saw it. In fact, the only Disney films he´s seen (maybe with the exception of The Lion King) are from Walt´s era.

Aladdin, as you all know, is a very beloved film. Unique and groundbreaking at the time.

So, you can imagine my surprise when he said that didn´t like it that much. That the Genie didn´t amuse him...and in fact, gave the film a 7/10.

...and I think it was because of Jafar since he liked the character.

So, can you guys tell me your reasons for liking the movie?

PS

Another thing he mentiones was the animation. He prefered the subtle and stylish lines of the Walt´s era.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

tlc38tlc38 wrote:
disneyboy20022 wrote:I just thought of this, perhaps they will advertise it as A Diamond From the Rough is coming out of the Disney Vault.
That's pretty clever...I like it! :)
Not really, calling Aladdin a "diamond in the rough" implies that most of Disney's movies are "rough". I don't think they would want to bash their own movies. lol
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I think this will be an ideal 3D release ..... Makes more sense then something like BATB.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:I think this will be an ideal 3D release ..... Makes more sense then something like BATB.
nothing makes more sense than BatB in 3D.

http://youtu.be/uQ0ODCMC6xs?hd=1