Aladdin - Diamond Edition

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
iconda

Aladdin - Diamond Edition

Post by iconda »

MutantEnemy
Special Edition

Post by MutantEnemy »

That is both awesome and hilarious! What is going on at Walt Disney Home Entertainment?!?
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

kylemj
Limited Issue

Post by kylemj »

Glad a release timeframe is known :)
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

MutantEnemy wrote:What is going on at Walt Disney Home Entertainment?!?
They throw darts at a board with movie titles and dates on it.
Jäger-Rose
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jäger-Rose »

AWESOME; AWESOME; AWESOME!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. OMG How awesome!

And I read this news [of the year] as I'm singing Genie's song in German. Coincidence? Maybe.
stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stevemcqueen »

Thanks for the info!! Glad this is finally coming out.

I'm trying to understand what's happening with the Diamond line. With all the international rumours about 101 Dalmatians coming out this year as a non-diamond title, Does this mean they dropped 101 Dalmatians, Pinocchio and now Peter Pan (previously slated for spring 2013) from the line? Also read here somewhere that they're narrowing it back to 10 titles...

If these rumours are true, this could be the final Diamond line-up:
Fall 2009: Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs
Fall 2010: Beauty And The Beast
Spring 2011: Bambi
Fall 2011: The Lion King
Spring 2012: Lady And The Tramp
Fall 2012: Cinderella
Spring 2013: Aladdin
Fall 2013: The Little Mermaid
Spring 2014: The Jungle Book
Fall 2014: Sleeping Beauty

I really hope I'm wrong here, as I'd hate to see the 3 titles being dropped.
But its does seem likely as digital media is taking over and they'd want to finish the releases 2 years early (instead of 2016 like originally planned).

Does all this make any sense?!?! :-)
MutantEnemy
Special Edition

Post by MutantEnemy »

stevemcqueen wrote:Thanks for the info!! Glad this is finally coming out.

I'm trying to understand what's happening with the Diamond line. With all the international rumours about 101 Dalmatians coming out this year as a non-diamond title, Does this mean they dropped 101 Dalmatians, Pinocchio and now Peter Pan (previously slated for spring 2013) from the line? Also read here somewhere that they're narrowing it back to 10 titles...

If these rumours are true, this could be the final Diamond line-up:
Fall 2009: Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs
Fall 2010: Beauty And The Beast
Spring 2011: Bambi
Fall 2011: The Lion King
Spring 2012: Lady And The Tramp
Fall 2012: Cinderella
Spring 2013: Aladdin
Fall 2013: The Little Mermaid
Spring 2014: The Jungle Book
Fall 2014: Sleeping Beauty

I really hope I'm wrong here, as I'd hate to see the 3 titles being dropped.
But its does seem likely as digital media is taking over and they'd want to finish the releases 2 years early (instead of 2016 like originally planned).

Does all this make any sense?!?! :-)
Maybe Sleeping Beauty isn't getting a rerelease and Peter Pan is the Spring '14 Diamond which pushes The Jungle Book to Fall '14?
Jäger-Rose
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jäger-Rose »

I so hope they use something like this
for the cover art :)
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Not likely.

Probably it would be a HUGE Genie covering most of the cover, 25% Jasmine on one of the bottom corners and Aladdin would only be left to his face on the spine.
seanjonmc
Limited Issue

Post by seanjonmc »

DC Fan wrote:Not likely.

Probably it would be a HUGE Genie covering most of the cover, 25% Jasmine on one of the bottom corners and Aladdin would only be left to his face on the spine.
:lol:

The sad thing is this has a very good chance of being legit! (See Snow White's Diamond cover). :lol:

But WTF @ Aladdin next spring, that was a curve ball I didn't see coming. I thought for sure Aladdin was dropped altogether and Peter Pan had the Spring 2013 slot. Disney sure does like to keep us guessing.
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

My guess is that The Little Mermaid will be released in Fall 2013 with Peter Pan following in Spring 2014 and the rest will follow the Platinum schedule. That's just my prediction though...
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Yes.

The Little Mermaid would still have to be released in 2013.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Does anyone have the sales numbers for the Platinum Editions? Aladdin was dropped at the time due to poor sales. I'd like to know how bad they were and why it's now back on apparently. Also, the musical masterpiece edition is widely available. Shouldn't it be in the vault???
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

This year is the movie's 20th anniversary, though. Seems strange that they'd wait until the beginning of next year and lose the chance to market that milestone (though Disney's never been accurate when it comes to anniversary edition releases anyway). More importantly, is anyone else extremely disappointed that this is back in the Diamond Line? I mean, when you look at Dumbo and Alice in Wonderland's Bly-Ray releases, you see that there's really no difference in restoration/bonuses for the popular catalogue classics when comparied to the Diamond Line.

The way I see it, making this a Diamond Edition only means that now the production budget's going to go toward shoving all the "experimental" crap like Second-Screen and Virtual Vault down our throats. Considering Disney's lack of effort in recent years, making Aladdin a Diamond edition gets rid of any chances we had for any substantial new material or decent bonus feature access. :/

At least we still have our Platinum Editions. I doubt we'll get half of what was on the 2-disc DVD (I'm sure at least one commentary will be dropped). Don't get me wrong, I'm beyond excited for the Blu-Ray. I would just hate to see my favorite movie get a sub-par release like The Lion King got.

Oh well. At least we can rest assured that it'll get released separately from its sequels as opposed to a three-movie collection. And although the chances are low, hopefully this means King of Thieves can be re-released in its original 4:3 ratio soon.
- John
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Pasta67 wrote:This year is the movie's 20th anniversary, though. Seems strange that they'd wait until the beginning of next year and lose the chance to market that milestone (though Disney's never been accurate when it comes to anniversary edition releases anyway). More importantly, is anyone else extremely disappointed that this is back in the Diamond Line? I mean, when you look at Dumbo and Alice in Wonderland's Bly-Ray releases, you see that there's really no difference in restoration/bonuses for the popular catalogue classics when comparied to the Diamond Line.

The way I see it, making this a Diamond Edition only means that now the production budget's going to go toward shoving all the "experimental" crap like Second-Screen and Virtual Vault down our throats. Considering Disney's lack of effort in recent years, making Aladdin a Diamond edition gets rid of any chances we had for any substantial new material or decent bonus feature access. :/

At least we still have our Platinum Editions. I doubt we'll get half of what was on the 2-disc DVD (I'm sure at least one commentary will be dropped). Don't get me wrong, I'm beyond excited for the Blu-Ray. I would just hate to see my favorite movie get a sub-par release like The Lion King got.
Disney Second Screen is amazing for concept art, pencil tests, trivia etc. it's much better than navigating through menus to get to some galleries.

we won't see a lot of new extras simply because the platinum edition's extras were amazing! maybe they'll put something HD in there for the sake of it, but they can hardly add something to the already existing package (feature-wise)
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Holy wow. Great news for all.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Does this mean Aladdin is getting a 3D theatrical release?
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Barbossa wrote:Does this mean Aladdin is getting a 3D theatrical release?
uhmm.. no. why would it mean that?
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Lnds500 wrote:
Barbossa wrote:Does this mean Aladdin is getting a 3D theatrical release?
uhmm.. no. why would it mean that?

Um, Lion King, and BatB getting 3D releases recently?

I could see Aladdin getting one.