Into the Woods (2014)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: Into the Woods (Disney-film)

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Matthew Morrison said he was doing a musical. I can't help but think it's this one, and that his brother will be Jake Gyllenhaal. That would work, I think. No clue about the princesses.

Considering it's Robert Marshall, and he's so good with giving out cameos, who'd you like to see? Besides Julie, I want Bernadette Peters to have a small part in here, somewhere. Someone suggested as Red's Granny.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Disneykid wrote:I'd love to see Amy Adams in this, but the only role I can think of for her is the baker's wife (Red Riding Hood should be an actual little girl for once, and I imagine Snow White and Sleeping Beauty as twenty-somethings).
Amy Adams was the Baker's Wife in Delacorte's outdoor production of Into the Woods...and people either said she wasn't really very good or she was horrible. Her lines apparently fell flat.

But I do agree, they should get a talented little girl to be Red Riding Hood. She seemed pretty little in the original Broadway cast though...and she was an actual little girl in the 2002 revival, wasn't she?
Last edited by Disney Duster on Thu May 16, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

zackisthewalrus wrote:It seems like vocal ability isn't really a determining factor in this casting process.
I've noticed. :lol: :P

Anyway, I'll admit I actually know very little about the story/characters/music in this, but I would like to see Gyllenhaal in this. Very cute guy. I wonder if that's true that he has a decent singing voice/tone; I liked Ewan McGregor in MR, so I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to Luhrmann. I also love Amy Adams and don't mind Matthew Morrison, so I wouldn't mind seeing more familiar faces in this.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

I'd love to see Emma Stone cast has Rapunzel
and maybe Anna Kendrick as Cinderella?
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
Joshua Clinard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Joshua Clinard »

I really loved Into The Woods when I first saw it when I was about 16. It's one of the first Musicals I remember seeing, besides The Sound of Music, Grease, and The King and I. Since then I have watched many more, maybe about 20, on video. So it is really nostalgic for me, and I can't wait to see a film version. I really hope they don't pick Meryl for the part of the witch. She is too old for the second half, and too plain looking. I know I won't enjoy it as much with her in it. Bernadette is actually still looking good enough for the role in my eyes. I just hope they don't cut out too much of the darker elements. Maybe don't market it as a children's film so much.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Okay, I just got interested in this film! It appears my favourite actress is joining the cast! And, yes, she can sing!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oooh Emily Blunt!!!
Joshua Clinard wrote:I really hope they don't pick Meryl for the part of the witch. She is too old for the second half, and too plain looking. I know I won't enjoy it as much with her in it. Bernadette is actually still looking good enough for the role in my eyes. I just hope they don't cut out too much of the darker elements. Maybe don't market it as a children's film so much.
I agree they shouldn't take out the darker elements otherwise it just won't be what the musical was meant to be, but for Meryl Streep, technically she was probably about as old as the Mysterious Man when he was younger and stealing from her garden, so if he's really old the Witch being really old makes sense.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Disney Duster wrote:
Disneykid wrote:I'd love to see Amy Adams in this, but the only role I can think of for her is the baker's wife (Red Riding Hood should be an actual little girl for once, and I imagine Snow White and Sleeping Beauty as twenty-somethings).
Amy Adams was the Baker's Wife in Delacorte's outdoor production of Into the Woods...and people either said she wasn't really very good or she was horrible. Her lines apparently fell flat.

But I do agree, they should get a talented little girl to be Red Riding Hood. She seemed pretty little in the original Broadway cast though...and she was an actual little girl in the 2002 revival, wasn't she?
Actually, Danielle Ferland (the original Red) was 16 and Molly Ephraim (the revival Red) was 15. It seems to me the character as written is supposed to be between 8-10, so I'm hoping they find someone in that age bracket.
Old Fish Tale wrote:Okay, I just got interested in this film! It appears my favourite actress is joining the cast! And, yes, she can sing!
Wow, I had no idea Emily Blunt could sing that well! I'm looking forward to seeing her as the Baker's wife. That article mentions Christine Baranski's in talks for a role but doesn't say which. I'm going to assume it's for Cinderella's stepmother as no other part suits her.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Disneykid wrote:Wow, I had no idea Emily Blunt could sing that well! I'm looking forward to seeing her as the Baker's wife.
Accomplished is the word! She also plays the cello.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Disneykid wrote:Actually, Danielle Ferland (the original Red) was 16 and Molly Ephraim (the revival Red) was 15. It seems to me the character as written is supposed to be between 8-10, so I'm hoping they find someone in that age bracket.
I actually think 15 and 16 is ok, and that's what I meant by children as in they're under 18, but I agree, the real Little Red would be like 8 to 10. On that note, everyone in the show would be younger because people married, had children, and died younger back then. So the Baker and his wife would be in like late 20's, the Witch and Mysterious Man in their very late 30's, etc. I wish the Witch and princes we've already heard cast for this were younger, and had a 10 year old Red, etc.

EDIT: Someone made me realize the things Little Red knows in "I Know Things Now" are metaphorically sexual things so I think she should be at least a teen!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

http://broadwayworld.com/article/Emily- ... o-20130605

Emily Blunt confirms-- she is the Baker's Wife.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

I saw that yesterday! I'm so happy as it's now official!
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

YES ! Emily is just so darn wonderful in everything she does; so glad she is a part of / the star of the project. Unless this will be another vehicle for Johnny Depp, like Alice.... :huh:
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

Disney Duster wrote:EDIT: Someone made me realize the things Little Red knows in "I Know Things Now" are metaphorically sexual things so I think she should be at least a teen!
Yeah -- I was about to point that out if nobody else did.

Still not looking forward to this. I have found Rob Marshall annoying since Nine. (Is this one going to be framed as taking place in somebody's mind too?) Meryl Streep as the Witch is not a good idea. And ... I don't know. It just doesn't sound good.

**Note: Everything stated above is entirely opinion -- and a morning-crabiness-induced opinion too, so don't worry if you don't agree. Take a deep breath and realize that it is okay to have different opinions.** :)
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

pinkrenata wrote:Still not looking forward to this. I have found Rob Marshall annoying since Nine. (Is this one going to be framed as taking place in somebody's mind too?) Meryl Streep as the Witch is not a good idea. And ... I don't know. It just doesn't sound good.

**Note: Everything stated above is entirely opinion -- and a morning-crabiness-induced opinion too, so don't worry if you don't agree. Take a deep breath and realize that it is okay to have different opinions.** :)

You asked for it. ;)

In all fairness, I think that the idea of a film based on Into the Woods is interesting, but I'm going to hold my breath until I actually see leaked footage. I feel that it could possibly end up as a fun little film, but with an equally strong chance that it could really crash and burn. The source material is very good (an interesting premise, plus some great Sondheim tunes - I personally love the song "Giants in the Sky"), but it seems quite a challenge to adapt from face value (though ultimately not impossible(. All I've ever properly seen of it are bits of a taped theatre performance for PBS that are on YouTube, which probably has drummed a notion into my head that it is meant for the stage and would be hard to adapt to a filmic equivalent. There's also the question of direction. It could go down an all-digital environment like Oz: the Great and Powerful or Alice in Wonderland, which I think would suit the whimsical, unreal nature of the source material. However, part of me fears that, like so many fairy tale films made in Hollywood today, it could end up going the way of mimicking stuff like Games of Thrones and Lord of the Rings. That route is fine for the standard high fantasy, but not for fairy tales (see stuff like Jack the Giant Slayer etc for solid evidence). In any case, I suppose it's good they have a director who simply has experience of making movie musicals.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Tracey Ullman in talks to play Jack's mother: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... eys-567666

I hope it happens, she'd be a great choice.

Confirmed/uncomfirmed cast list thus far:
Meryl Streep...The Witch
James Corden...The Baker
Emily Blunt...The Baker's Wife
Johnny Depp...The Wolf
Chris Pine...A Prince
Jake Gyllenhaal...A Prince
Tracey Ullman...Jack's Mother

So the biggest parts yet to be filled are Cinderella, Little Red, Jack, and The Narrator/Mysterious Man.
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

I hope they go with Allison Janney as Jack's Mother.
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

zackisthewalrus wrote:I hope they go with Allison Janney as Jack's Mother.
Janney has a new sitcom this season so it looks unlikely that she would be available for filming. To be honest, I love Janney, but I think she would be boring in this part. I feel like I've already seen her do it before.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Disney has announced Into the Woods is coming out on Christmas 2014. The new version of Annie is also supposed to open that day, so we're getting two musicals on the same release (I have a feeling one of those is going to move)?
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

The script has been leaked... I'm going to read it right now. Apparently it's very satisfactory.