Disney Princesses Got a Makeover

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Re: Disney Princesses Got a Makeover

Post by Atlantica »

Been seeing this image all over Twitter, and I agree, it's just plain ugly. Why oh why oh why have they done this to her ? Just to ensure she's wearing a dress now like the other girls ?

And WTF with that tiny fringe thing she has going on..... :lol:
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

My God, that is ugly!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

it looks like a green version of her wedding dress. :|
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

This is adorable...it's princess-related...!

Stephen Curry Sings Disney Songs in Carpool Karaoke Segment
http://www.laughingplace.com/w/blogs/di ... e-segment/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the first official clipart of Aurora where her dress is fading from blue to pink in a gradient effect.

Source: https://www.amazon.it/HASBRO-Epifania-B ... 01MXJW5B0/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

That is a first. Too bad they all look off-model, especially poor Ariel.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That is a cool effect for Aurora! I wonder if they're doing it to make little girls like her more. But yeah, they all are off-model with Joker jaughing gas faces, and poor Ariel looks the worst. What happened to her?! Well Belle and Rapunzel look like themselves to me actually.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Here's a new image I've found with all 11 princesses together in their latest look. It's actually rare nowadays to find art with all of them together. Usually one or two are missing from group pics.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I love this one. It’s so nice to see them all included, and drawn in the same style. And I love the background. Thank God, they used new (ish) imagery of Pocahontas and Mulan.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:That is a cool effect for Aurora! I wonder if they're doing it to make little girls like her more. But yeah, they all are off-model with Joker jaughing gas faces, and poor Ariel looks the worst. What happened to her?! Well Belle and Rapunzel look like themselves to me actually.
I've always heard conflicting reports on how well Aurora sells or not. She may be called boring, but she's got the most stereotypical princess look with the long golden blonde curls, a crown, and pink dress and that always sells. And Disney promotes her constantly so she can't be unpopular. Yet, I remember that when the princes franchise first came out, some people who worked at the Disney Store said that out of the six classic princesses, Aurora sold the least. Cinderella was the top seller by a huge margin, followed by Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Snow White, and then Aurora. There was another wide margin before hitting Pocahontas and Mulan was dead last. Esmeralda and Tinker Bell weren't factored into this though sadly.

Belle's eyebrows are too thick on there. Rapunzel strangely enough looks more accurate than her normal clipart, but she still looks off like her face has been squashed in.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, interesting info! Yeah, I think Aurora's looks help her stay in. I am not ashamed to say she's my second favorite princess purely because of her looks and grace. Her personality is not really much there for me to even think about. And Ariel, who I consider to have the most personality, is my third favorite, but her tail factors in a little. I am so happy to hear my favorite princess sells so well. I fear that in a world where characters seem to need to have in your face personalities and pursuing their dreams in a more proactive way, that Cinderella will get lost. But I guess she won't, thank God. I still think Ariel's the most popular princess and then Cinderella, but maybe it's the other way around, or at least it is with little girls. But I also have to admit, I bet Cinderella's looks are partly why she sells so well, too. Blonde hair (even though it's supposed to be strawberry blonde...) and a blue dress (also supposed to be silver) just look really good, and her dress and hair, especially the dress, are such damn good designs. I even think she has the best dress. So I think that, along with her soft and sweet and soothing personality, make her so well liked and sold. Then again, Belle is often thought to have the best dress, but she isn't getting sold as well because...? As for the Disney Princess picture, Belle, ok, yeah the eyebrows need help, but I could see that face coming right out of a screencap from the original film. Rapunzel's face, yeah, maybe squashy and freaky but not that far off.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I remember reading recently how most people making TLM assumed the little mermaid would be blonde when they first started making the movie. So glad that didn’t happen and that she stands apart from the others.

I wouldn’t be too surprised if Belle is lower down the list. The DP line is about glitz and glam (and glitter and ugly hair bows and mop hairdos), whereas Belle reads books… Most of the entitled brats of today’s world are too lazy to read. Just yesterday, the newscasters on my local news were talking about dolphins having surpassed humans to be the most intelligent creatures on the Earth. I’m not sure if I believe that, but I do know they passed Americans at least two generations ago.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Sotiris wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the first official clipart of Aurora where her dress is fading from blue to pink in a gradient effect.

Source: https://www.amazon.it/HASBRO-Epifania-B ... 01MXJW5B0/

It’s also the first clipart of Belle as Nicolas Cage.

Sorry couldn’t resist. :)
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Wow, interesting info! Yeah, I think Aurora's looks help her stay in. I am not ashamed to say she's my second favorite princess purely because of her looks and grace. Her personality is not really much there for me to even think about. And Ariel, who I consider to have the most personality, is my third favorite, but her tail factors in a little. I am so happy to hear my favorite princess sells so well. I fear that in a world where characters seem to need to have in your face personalities and pursuing their dreams in a more proactive way, that Cinderella will get lost. But I guess she won't, thank God. I still think Ariel's the most popular princess and then Cinderella, but maybe it's the other way around, or at least it is with little girls. But I also have to admit, I bet Cinderella's looks are partly why she sells so well, too. Blonde hair (even though it's supposed to be strawberry blonde...) and a blue dress (also supposed to be silver) just look really good, and her dress and hair, especially the dress, are such damn good designs. I even think she has the best dress. So I think that, along with her soft and sweet and soothing personality, make her so well liked and sold. Then again, Belle is often thought to have the best dress, but she isn't getting sold as well because...? As for the Disney Princess picture, Belle, ok, yeah the eyebrows need help, but I could see that face coming right out of a screencap from the original film. Rapunzel's face, yeah, maybe squashy and freaky but not that far off.
She used to be my second favorite princess after Ariel purely because of her looks as well. It didn't help that I was a child when the franchise really hit it off in 2000, so I was the target demographic and Aurora's appeal clearly worked, at least on me. She does have a personality even in her few scenes, but it's a subtle personality, which I think is why princesses like her, Cinderella, and Pocahontas get a lot of flack for being boring. Cinderella has always been one of the most popular princesses and you can go anywhere in the world, and people know her. For the other princesses, that's true as well but to a lesser extent than Cinderella, such as Snow White and Sleeping Beauty, as well as Ariel, Belle, and Jasmine, and now Rapunzel, Elsa, and Anna. I'd say today she might be overshadowed by Ariel or Rapunzel, but she's still on par with them. These three are the most popular followed very closely by Belle so I'm not sure why you think she isn't getting sold as much. Even in the ranking I posted above, she was third, after Cinderella and Ariel who are the top favorites back then and now as well. The BATB film last year may have given her even more of a boost, but she's always been a favorite, both by soccer moms who think she is a better alternative to the classic princesses while retaining some of those classic princess characteristics, plus she has appeal to the hipster teen crowd. I've heard lots of people say that Belle appeals to white feminists and is their token character.

When I go to the Disney Parks, generally the costumes I see that little children wear most are Cinderella, Belle, Rapunzel, and of course Elsa and Anna although the ubiquitousness of the latter two has faded a little. Ariel and Jasmine are both super common as well while I would say that Snow White and Aurora are just common. Merida, is surprisingly, really common, both when the movie was a year old, and even now, several years later. I guess she still has appeal for girls who don't want to fit the princess mold exactly. I saw plenty of Moana who is also now a year old so she seems to have staying power. The TV princesses, Sofia and Elena, were plenty around too. Occasionally there'd be a few kids dressed as Alice and even Pocahontas which was a pleasant surprise. I've yet to see Tiana or Mulan though. I imagine the fact that some of these girls don't even get their costumes sold in the parks themselves (Pocahontas, Mulan, Alice, etc.) is why they are so rarely worn.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That's all really interesting. Oh, and the Belle being sold less I meant I didn't ge why she sold less than Cinderella when I thought more people liked her personality and dress. I guess more people or just little girls like Cinderella's personality and dress more. Last time I was at Disney World I always saw little girls wearing Cinderella and Belle, and then sometimes I think Anna and Elsa.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:That's all really interesting. Oh, and the Belle being sold less I meant I didn't ge why she sold less than Cinderella when I thought more people liked her personality and dress. I guess more people or just little girls like Cinderella's personality and dress more. Last time I was at Disney World I always saw little girls wearing Cinderella and Belle, and then sometimes I think Anna and Elsa.
Cinderella is an iconic character, not just in cinema, but in folklore and legends all over the world. At the end of the day, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Rapunzel, Elsa, Anna, etc. are known because of the Disney films and while that has launched them as some of the most iconic animation characters ever, Cinderella would already be well known with or without the Disney film, because of how popular the fairy tale is (like Little Red Riding hood). Snow White and Sleeping Beauty also to a lesser extent, but Cinderella is the most iconic. So it's no surprise to me that she's always been the most popular princess.

This is also why characters like Pocahontas, Esmeralda, and Jane are also iconic because even though their Disney films may not get the same amount of heavy promotion as Simba or Pinocchio's films, these characters are well known outside of Disney. Pocahontas is a prominent historical figure that most American children know from elementary school, while Esmeralda is a significant literary character at least in Europe, and of course everyone knows Jane from the famous Tarzan line "me Tarzan, you Jane." If there was no Disney Cinderella film, she'd be in this category where she'd still be well known the way Hansel, Gretel, Jack, Goldilocks, Little Red Riding Hood, etc. are.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, yeah, that's right. All those characters are known well (well, I didn't know about Esmeralda being that well-known). Cinderella is the most known story in the world, even though she's not always known as "Cinderella".
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

yeah the 1st three classic Disney princess have always been very popular in Europe and Latin America. Adults from those countries would have seen the films and been told the stories when they were kids. I live among a highly Hispanic population (in Spanish they are known as Blanca Nieves(Snow White), La Cenicienta(Cinderella), and La Bella Durmiente(Sleeping Beauty) and they are often referred to with the Spanish names when I go to the Disney Stores here.

Little Red Riding Hood is also popular with Spanish speaking populations and I really wish Disney would do it as a full length film.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Oh, yeah, that's right. All those characters are known well (well, I didn't know about Esmeralda being that well-known). Cinderella is the most known story in the world, even though she's not always known as "Cinderella".
Esmeralda is mostly European known. If she's known in America, it's either by bookworms, mainly readers of the classics, or Disney fans. I will say though that for a character who's been invisible thanks to Disney's treatment for around a decade and a half, she's still pretty well known. It always surprises me when I hear people recognize her or remember her, so she clearly has some popularity. Even in Tokyo, she's in the Easter parade with Clopin (the other popular character from THOND), so it appears even there she has some sort of a fan following although it doesn't seem to be equivalent to the more classic obscure characters like Clarice, Clarabelle, Danny the Lamb, etc.
unprincess wrote:yeah the 1st three classic Disney princess have always been very popular in Europe and Latin America. Adults from those countries would have seen the films and been told the stories when they were kids. I live among a highly Hispanic population (in Spanish they are known as Blanca Nieves(Snow White), La Cenicienta(Cinderella), and La Bella Durmiente(Sleeping Beauty) and they are often referred to with the Spanish names when I go to the Disney Stores here.

Little Red Riding Hood is also popular with Spanish speaking populations and I really wish Disney would do it as a full length film.
That's really interesting to hear. I think the classical epitome of a princess is still popular all over the world, except in America where that's fading. I know that in eastern countries like Japan and India, much like you said about Europe and Latin America, the classics are still loved. They love the traditional princess type who is exceptionally beautiful, elegant and graceful, with pretty gowns, long hair, a gorgeous singing voice, and an emphasis on romance with an epic love story. That's why Japan's princess line is just the six classic princesses plus Rapunzel and in India, those are the popular ones as well, although I think Pocahontas and Mulan have a small following, at least in India.

I'd love a Little Red Riding Hood film as well. I feel like there's a lot that can be done with the story and I'm not a big fan of the animated short (The Big Bad Wolf) which serves as a sequel to the Three Little Pigs. I'd also love to see Hansel and Gretel in animated form, especially since Disney usually focuses on same-sex siblings in their films.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

What Little Red Ridinghood short don't you like? Redux Ridinghood? I LOVE that short!!!