Disney Princesses Got a Makeover

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

What's next, making Ariel or Pocahontas look like Snooki?
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

This make-over isn't a poster or record cover or book illustration, but some of you were talking about that.

In some ways, I liked when they do an artistic interpretation of Disney characters, as long as they look enough like the originals. But sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad, and I hate when it's bad. It really depends. Like Retta Scott's Cinderella is really good in some ways but also bad in some ways. Like the purple blue colors she used for the stepmother was close enough and good, but the yellow color she used for Cinderella's pink dress made no sense! And she didn't put Cinderella's hair fully up so it didn't look like much of a transformation into the iconic image of her at the ball so that wasn't good either.

Retta Scott was Disney's first ever female animator, back in Walt's time, she did the dogs in Bambi.

Here's all the Retta Scott Cinderella pictures if you wanna see:
Retta Scott's Cinderella
Last edited by Disney Duster on Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Urgh. Why did they create this stupid line in the first place? Whyyyyy? :evil:
Disney Duster wrote:Retta Scott was Disney's first ever female animator, back in Walt's time, she did the dogs in Bambi.
You forgot something. :p :)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I've found more clip-art of the 'new' Cinderella in various poses. What do you think?

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

As much as I'm not opposed to giving new looks for some kind of merchandise, because it's overall forgettable, I don't really understand why they created so many versions of this image. Are they planning on keeping this image for a while? If so then I'm very opposed to this now. Granted, I don't think it looks nearly as horrible as many of you are saying. (I still don't see AT ALL and slut resemblance) I do agree that I don't want this look to stick around for a long time.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

She kind of reminds me of Taylor Swift. I like it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I actually...love the new images. I can now see I also think the bottom of her dress is good.

But like singerguy said, I don't want this look to stick around. But I'm guessing it won't, I think it will last only as long as the gold and jewel dresses did.
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

I'm just sayinnnn..
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

At least her hairpiece/hairband makes way more sense now. Never had any clue what that thing was before !
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:At least her hairpiece/hairband makes way more sense now. Never had any clue what that thing was before !
When I was little I just thought it was a head band with jewels (what I now know are her earrings) attached to them like the strangest tiara ever! lol. Now I believe it's a piece of the same silver cloth her dress is made of. At Disney World they make it just a piece of silver cloth. Looking at some costumes from the late 1600's to the 1800's (when the film could have taken place) I have seen things in women's hair like her hairband, but I don't know if they're cloth or some harder material like pure silver.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Wow, really ?? I've never seen anything like Cinderellas hairpiece before from historical sources. Do you have any images you could share ?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I can't find the pictures from older centuries, someday I will, but for now, here's the 1800's picture I found:

Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I guess it's similar, but it doesn't have the odd earring connection that Cinderella has. Which is just bizarre.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

If Cinderella got that makeover, the rest of the princess must have one too.

Not because of the redesign but because the new dress is so "realistic" that wouldn´t fit in with the rest.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

DC Fan wrote:If Cinderella got that makeover, the rest of the princess must have one too.

Not because of the redesign but because the new dress is so "realistic" that wouldn´t fit in with the rest.
How do I put this? Hmm. Lemme think.

NO!!!!

I hate that idea. I mean, really. What more damage can Disney do; redesign Ariel or Jasmine to look like Snooki? I don't even WANT to imagine that! :(

And by the way, if they keep up these makeovers, that may mean unnecessarily revising those looks for their movies and putting George Lucas to shame when it comes to unnecessary alterations.
Dream Huntress
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Dream Huntress »

DisneyJedi wrote:
DC Fan wrote:If Cinderella got that makeover, the rest of the princess must have one too.

How do I put this? Hmm. Lemme think.

NO!!!!

I hate that idea. I mean, really. What more damage can Disney do; redesign Ariel or Jasmine to look like Snooki? I don't even WANT to imagine that! :(

And by the way, if they keep up these makeovers, that may mean unnecessarily revising those looks for their movies and putting George Lucas to shame when it comes to unnecessary alterations.
We really need to create a new internet law, you know when you invoke Godwin's Law, except this version would be for people comparing things to George Lucas and the Star Wars prequels.

Seriously, it's just a redesign for merchandise, what do you think they're going to do, go back redrawn the damn movie and release in 4DX?

I think she looks cute, her new hair style makes more sense in any case.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

No, my problem is this:

Some kids may only recognize Cinderella's new look and that may lead Disney to decide to "fix" that for the movie. And eventually, the makeover becomes a trend and that leads to Disney's other princesses getting makeovers that just look silly and causing their movies to be "fixed" to match their new looks.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

TRAMP! TRAMP! TRAAAAAAAAAMP!!!
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I doubt very much that Disney will go back and redraw the entire film to fit around some merchandise.

I don't see how it's that bad; compare it to the usual, previous clip art. It looks NOTHING like her, and she has bright blond hair with a blue dress. How is her hair changing all that different.

Sometimes Ariel can have a spectacular up-do when in Mermaid form in merchandise....it doesnt mean her movie will change to reflect it.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Well, why couldn't they have just made Cinderella's hair strawberry blond/ash brown/whatever it was and her dress silver, instead of making her hairstyle more stupid period accurate?