Disney ditching lenticular covers?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Disney ditching lenticular covers?

Post by Barbossa »

Frankenweenie 3D Combo was the first I noticed without a 3D lenticular cover, and today at Best Buy I noticed new editions of The Nightmare Before Christmas 3D Combos also did not have lenticular covers.

Is Disney phasing out lenticular 3D covers on all 3D combos now?
Disney_freak
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Disney ditching lenticular covers?

Post by Disney_freak »

Barbossa wrote:Frankenweenie 3D Combo was the first I noticed without a 3D lenticular cover, and today at Best Buy I noticed new editions of The Nightmare Before Christmas 3D Combos also did not have lenticular covers.

I don't know about Frankenweenie, but all movies that are released with a lenticular cover slowly get switched over to non-lenticular after the first bactch, and than eventually lose their slipcover all together. I believe that its rare but you can find TLK and BATB in normal embossed covers.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Barbossa wrote:Frankenweenie 3D Combo was the first I noticed without a 3D lenticular cover, and today at Best Buy I noticed new editions of The Nightmare Before Christmas 3D Combos also did not have lenticular covers.

My Frankeweenie didn't have the 3D cover either. It had a slipcover that was shiny and embossed, it just didn't have that 3D effect like most 3D combos that Disney usually do. My Nightmare Before Christmas 3D Blu ray does have the 3D Effect cover.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Thank god. I hate the lenticular cover. It's a nice idea, but in reality it just doesn't look very good.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

It must be something new at Disney to cut cost. Although Frankenweenie did get a lenticular cover for the 3D combo, but it was a Best Buy store exclusive.

Personally I've never seen any of the 3D combos with a "normal" slipcover (other than Frankenweenie). Usually its lenticular, or no slipcover at all.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

DarthPrime wrote:It must be something new at Disney to cut cost. Although Frankenweenie did get a lenticular cover for the 3D combo, but it was a Best Buy store exclusive.
It was? I bought mine on release day at BB and there were none with lenticular covers. Like the exclusion of disc art, I think they are starting to cut costs.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I know a member from the forums long ago that will be jumping for joy and will be throwing a bonfire with DVD & Blu ray condoms the main course of the flames :P

DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Barbossa wrote:
DarthPrime wrote:It must be something new at Disney to cut cost. Although Frankenweenie did get a lenticular cover for the 3D combo, but it was a Best Buy store exclusive.
It was? I bought mine on release day at BB and there were none with lenticular covers. Like the exclusion of disc art, I think they are starting to cut costs.
I'm not sure how many each store got, but they do have lenticular slipcovers. They have a small Best Buy Exclusive sticker on them.

I also miss disc art. Sure I only see it when taking the disc in and out of the case/player, but its nice to have.

Here is a unboxing I found of it on Youtube.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZqLuVImD_NA" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Smart move if this is the case. I would have ditched that before the disc art myself.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

I think this would be fair if the prices got reduced for the costumers too.
But, in reality, I think it's best for you guys to don't have a slipcover at all if Disney is starting to cut things. Here in Brazil all of our Diamonds (and ONLY the Diamonds... it's a very special movie if Disney releases it with slipcover and it's not a Diamond) have the slipcover and they do terrible things with them. The Bambi one is hideous.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I only own two Disney Blu-Rays with the lenticular slipcover (Brave 3D and Finding Nemo 3D). I would not mind if they discontinue making them. They may look nice at first but they are bound to get scratched up and distorted if you are not careful. My problem with slipcovers in general is that they usually end up getting beat up over time whenever I get a new title (since I have to make room).
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I'd rather they spend the money on unreleased titles.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

milojthatch wrote:I'd rather they spend the money on unreleased titles.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/62r839bHmqE" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

milojthatch wrote:I'd rather they spend the money on unreleased titles.
You're hilarious! :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney_freak
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Disney_freak »

rodrigo_ca wrote:I think this would be fair if the prices got reduced for the costumers too.
But, in reality, I think it's best for you guys to don't have a slipcover at all if Disney is starting to cut things. Here in Brazil all of our Diamonds (and ONLY the Diamonds... it's a very special movie if Disney releases it with slipcover and it's not a Diamond) have the slipcover and they do terrible things with them. The Bambi one is hideous.
That would drive me nuts. Half of my movies would have slipcovers half of them wouldn't. .-. I have a couple Disney DVDs without slipcovers and it drives me crazy b/c they don't match.
GreatGreg
Gold Classic Collection

Post by GreatGreg »

Why not just take all the slipcovers off then? Then they would match!
reyquila
Anniversary Edition

Post by reyquila »

Apparently, they promoted it as Best Buy Exclusive:

http://blurayexclusives.blogspot.com/20 ... e.html?m=0
WDW Trips: 1992,1997,2005,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009-10 (Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside), 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2022.
Disneyland Trips: 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) and 2016
Disney Cruises: 2007, 2010 (Wonder) and 2012 (Dream).
My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view
Disney_freak
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Disney_freak »

GreatGreg wrote:Why not just take all the slipcovers off then? Then they would match!
They don't look as nice that way :lol:
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

reyquila wrote:Apparently, they promoted it as Best Buy Exclusive:

http://blurayexclusives.blogspot.com/20 ... e.html?m=0
We already made a mention to this above.
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

Are they still doing away with the lenticular covers because both ultimate collector editions of Wreck-It Ralph and Monsters, Inc. had the lenticular covers? Also, I purchased The Lion King 3D last month and that had one too. The only 3D release I own that does not have a lenticular cover (it was just an embossed slipcover) was Beauty and the Beast and it looks so much better for it! I was hoping they would do away with the lenticulars because I much prefer the slipcovers when they're just embossed/glossy/shiny etc. like other non 3D releases.