Disney Animation on Blu-ray in 2012

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Is it safe to assume those are probably the cheapest we'll get them? 20.99 isn't half bad, but a coupon would still be nice.
pick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pick »

SWillie! wrote:Is it safe to assume those are probably the cheapest we'll get them? 20.99 isn't half bad, but a coupon would still be nice.
Well, I already pre-ordered, just in case the price goes up...
-------------------------------------------------------
"Just Make a Wish, and do as dreamers do...
and all your Wishes will come True..."
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

pick wrote:Well, I already pre-ordered, just in case the price goes up...
Same here!
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

Disney Preps 30-Plus Movies for First-Time Blu-ray Release
Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment will release more than 30 catalog titles for the first time on Blu-ray Disc in 2012 the studio announced March 16, with some titles celebrating 10th, 15th and 20th anniversaries.

“We receive many requests and comments from consumers seeking specific titles they’d like to own on Blu-ray and, as such, we carefully selected a number of popular films that will satisfy demand from fans worldwide,” said Lori MacPherson, EVP of product management for The Walt Disney Studios. “As we grow our Blu-ray catalog we will continue to utilize the best technologies to provide the most pristine and immersive in-home experience of our films.”

This summer the studio will release Father of the Bride and Bringing Down the House releasing (May 15), The Color of Money, Cocktail and Ransom (June 5), Sister Act and Evita (June 19), and The Horse Whisperer, Under the Tuscan Sun, Phenomenon, Step Up, Home On The Range and Treasure Planet (July 3).

This fall will see Adventures in Babysitting, Grosse Pointe Blank, Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion, The Rescuers, High Fidelity, Ed Wood, Judge Dredd, Ghost of the Abyss 3D, Lady And The Tramp 2: Scamp’s Adventure, Pocahontas, The Tigger Movie, The Aristocats and Pete’s Dragon.

Beginning in October Disney will release Hocus Pocus, Arachnophobia, The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, Son of Flubber, Cold Creek Manor, The Santa Clause Trilogy, The Absent-Minded Professor, Flubber, While You Were Sleeping, Sweet Home Alabama, Beaches, Babes in Toyland, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Brother Bear and Dick Tracy.

Source:
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blu-ra ... ease-26706
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
iconda

Post by iconda »

Brother Bear :shock:

this is so unexpected
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

Babes in Toyland, The Absent-Minded Professor and Son of Flubber!!! These are the very first of Walt Disney's own live-action classics to hit Blu-Ray. Hooray! I hope for awesome true 1080p scans/masters (not upconversions)! Thanks, powers that be.
Heartless
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heartless »

Hocus Pocus and Atlantis? How odd that they are releasing so many titles this year.. but nonetheless I'm excited.

You can tell they are trying to push out a whole bunch of titles onto Blu-ray now (things sure have changed..) It certainly is good news for some of the lesser popular titles though. Let's see some Black Cauldron..
"Good and bad are labels created by people. Nature doesn't have such concepts."
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

While it is a shame that this huge push in releases means that each individual title will most certainly receive less attention, I will nevertheless be excited to own the animated films on DVD.

It will be interesting to see what kinds of bonuses end up on Atlantis and Brother Bear, since both got nice 2-disc collector's editions the first time around.

My wallet keeps trying to jump off a bridge or something.... like it knows some kind of massacre is coming...
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Wao, Atlantis.

Not a big fan at all...but quite surprised. Finally in Europe we will see it released on widescreen and it will look fantastic.
pick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pick »

Do you guys think that Brother Bear and Atlantis will both be released as a 2-Movie Collection with their sequels?[/i]
-------------------------------------------------------
"Just Make a Wish, and do as dreamers do...
and all your Wishes will come True..."
iconda

Post by iconda »

so, this year we'll get all Disney post-renaissance classics on blu-ray, except two best: Lilo & Stich and The Emperor's New Groove :roll:
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Not that I'm not excited that the U.S. will now be getting 9 DAC's on blu this year. but...

still no Hercules or Hunchback of Notre Dame? Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, and Home on the Range all have greater demand?

I give up. :brick:
Last edited by singerguy04 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heartless
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heartless »

singerguy04 wrote:Not that I'm not excited that the U.S. will now be getting 9 DAC's on blu this year. but...

still no Hercules or Hunchback of Notre Dame? Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, and Home on the Range all have greater demand?

I give up. :brick:
I think the point is that they are trying to get the lesser demand titles out quickly, while spreading out the more popular titles as much as they can..
"Good and bad are labels created by people. Nature doesn't have such concepts."
DisneyChris
Special Edition

Post by DisneyChris »

Addition: Pocahontas/Pocahontas II Hong Kong Blu-ray (27 March 2012)

Bonus Features:
Drawing Inspiration: The Lost Story Of Hiawatha
"If I Never Knew You" Deleted Song
The Music Of Pocahontas
Deleted Scenes
"Little Hiawatha" Cartoon Short
Disney Virtual Vault

Not sure, but I don't remember any of the other international Pocahontas Blu-ray releases having Virtual Vault. This somewhat makes sense though, since the BBFC passed so many classic DVD bonus features earlier. Anyway I'll do a follow-up report when it's released.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

According to the press release posted, the following releases have been moved from Summer 2012 to Fall 2012.
The Aristocats
Pocahontas/Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World
The Rescuers/The Rescuers Down Under
Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure
The Tigger Movie
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

Wow...so many releases this year! Awesome. Just as long as there'll be combo packs, I'm happy.

Just really wish they'd release Lilo & Stitch BLU this year and push Brother Bear a year later. Ah well, eventually it will happen. :)

And I actually hope all the sequels will be available as well. Don't shoot me though... :lol:
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Khonnor wrote:Wow...so many releases this year! Awesome. Just as long as there'll be combo packs, I'm happy.

Just really wish they'd release Lilo & Stitch BLU this year and push Brother Bear a year later. Ah well, eventually it will happen. :)

And I actually hope all the sequels will be available as well. Don't shoot me though... :lol:
Me too I also really like to see hunchback, black cauldron & robin hood, greatly underappreciated if you ask me... I am baffled as to why hunchback is yet again skipped in this coming release schedule
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

It's like Disney is releasing all my least favorite movies first. I'd love to see The Emperor's New Groove, Aladdin, Lilo & Stitch and Mulan get some love or even have Disney acknowledge Hunchback and Hercules existence.

Also, has Disney announced Tarzan or One Hundred and One Dalmatians for the US yet? I'd much rather have these two movies then any of the ones they just announced today.

Also, July 3rd seems to be FLOP DAY :lol:
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

^Aladdin is scheduled to be released in Spring 2013 as a Diamond edition.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

I'm aware of that but I want it now :lol:

Not sure why they're waiting till after it's anniversary. They picked a peculiar time to reinstate it in the Diamond line.
Last edited by jpanimation on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.