Disney Animation on Blu-ray in 2012

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Here comes the rain.

How many of these releases will be half-assed?
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

ajmrowland wrote:Here comes the rain.

The good thing about Treasure Planet, Home on the Range, Pocahontas, and The Rescuers Down Under is that they're all already digital, so they're bound to look fantastic. Cinderella will look fantastic as well. Now, once we get to The Aristocats, The Rescuers, and The Great Mouse Detective, we honestly shouldn't expect much. I'm hoping that the transfers will at least be slightly better than The Fox and the Hound turned out, but I'm not holding my breath...
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

PatrickvD wrote:How do you know they don't have slipcovers?

Sadly,

it has been confirmed by Disney Benelux (and Europe?) that they won't be released with slipcovers anymore, just the Diamond Editions will have them.

All upcoming releases won't have a bonus DVD and will be released in slim Blu-Ray cases.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

zackisthewalrus wrote:

The good thing about Treasure Planet, Home on the Range, Pocahontas, and The Rescuers Down Under is that they're all already digital, so they're bound to look fantastic. Cinderella will look fantastic as well. Now, once we get to The Aristocats, The Rescuers, and The Great Mouse Detective, we honestly shouldn't expect much. I'm hoping that the transfers will at least be slightly better than The Fox and the Hound turned out, but I'm not holding my breath...
Ah, but notice I wasnt just referring to the transfers. They're gonna screw up in some way, at least with bonuses.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

zackisthewalrus wrote:

Tarzan
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

Tarzan has not been announced yet in the US. I wonder why though.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Khonnor wrote:All upcoming releases won't have a bonus DVD and will be released in slim Blu-Ray cases.
This I believe may be Europe-wide. In the UK, Lady and the Tramp wasn't released as a combo-pack, just as either a single Blu-Ray or single DVD. The Blu-Rays of Pocahontas, Tarzan and The Fox and the Hound don't look like they have a DVD thrown in, as well. Equally, I believe that a lot of the combo packs released last year or before (Dumbo, Tangled, Alice in Wonderland etc) have been re-released as single-disc Blu-Rays.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Khonnor wrote:
PatrickvD wrote:How do you know they don't have slipcovers?

Sadly,

it has been confirmed by Disney Benelux (and Europe?) that they won't be released with slipcovers anymore, just the Diamond Editions will have them.

All upcoming releases won't have a bonus DVD and will be released in slim Blu-Ray cases.
yuck
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Disney seems to be the only studio no longer releasing bonus DVDs. Wonder how consumers will respond.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Julian Carter wrote:Disney seems to be the only studio no longer releasing bonus DVDs. Wonder how consumers will respond.
the only? I think they're one of the last
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

Australia's Pinocchio BD re-release is even lazier... it is exactly the same minus the "EXPERIENCE MAX HI-DEF" tag at the bottom. It's still labeled as a PE and 70th Anniversary Edition.

source: DMR
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Victurtle wrote:Australia's Pinocchio BD re-release is even lazier... it is exactly the same minus the "EXPERIENCE MAX HI-DEF" tag at the bottom. It's still labeled as a PE and 70th Anniversary Edition.

source: DMR
You're not the only ones

http://www.amazon.fr/Pinocchio-Edition- ... 493&sr=8-3
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

I'm trying to figure out the marketing strategy of such a chaotic release schedule for their animated features across the globe. Ever since these films started coming out on Blu-ray, the release dates have been announced, then moved around (Dumbo, Pocahontas, Rescuers combo) and just plain falsely advertised as to what is being released (Fantasia). Now it seems they are trying to hurry up and get as many titles out there as possible, only diferent titles at different times around the world, which has me worried about the quality (more Fox & the Hound type "remasters" and things like Tarzan, which as CAPS films, should have NO EXCUSE for not looking brilliant in HD)

It's really been disenchanting as a collector witnessing such a disarray. The lack of continuity and commitment from Disney in the Home Entertainment department has been baffling.

Right now, I am focusing on getting the movies in High Definition (should good review warrant an upgrade), and have stopped bothering to look forward to special features anymore. I am holding onto my Platinum and Special Edition DVDs for features sake, so I don't have to rely on internet streaming to watch them in low youtube quality via the "virtual vault" ... Disney is lucky I am not just sitting out buying more titles, alltogether till they get their shit together and stop confusing a fanbase that up until recently they seemed to always hold in high consumer regard.
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

Some personal thoughts...

I think perhaps BD sales haven't been as strong as expected (is this true? I don't haven't seen sales stats), perhaps because people may still have the DVDs, which they are content with.

If so, they may have subsequently cut down the budget on creating a solid release, making the release more profitable.

Because of the lack of confidence in marketing BDs, they could be testing waters in overseas markets, where releases are very low key and don't receive the (big & expensive) marketing push they get in the US - will they still sell anyway?

I wonder how others think. Personally, I do not understand why they released TFATH with an uncomplete transfer. If they re-release it in the future, I will ask to get it for free :lol:
Jäger-Rose
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jäger-Rose »

Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

I think Treasure Planet has something new but nothing substantial. They also have it listed as 1.66:1 film (in the official page). I hope that's true, although I believe it's just a typo
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

I'm guessing these releases won't be available as a Combo Pack in DVD packaging unfortunately,.... :cry:
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

It seems that the Aristocrats and 101 dalmatians will get a simple one disc release too, no slipcovers :S And whats up with Disney rushing the releases up so quickly....

I know what I'll be doing with these simple packages..... cut the disc holder out and place it in the special edition dvd cases(with slipcover) :)

stupid Disney, your not longer my friend :(
kylemj
Limited Issue

Post by kylemj »

they will probably rerelease various blus in a few years with prestige titles with extra features so fans will double dip otherwise leave it at first edition and people wont have any reason to buy hence no more money to Disney
wait for music masterpiece, extended, bonus editions
kylemj
Limited Issue

Post by kylemj »

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=200136
Disney's PETES DRAGON - coming Fall 2012