Disney Heroes

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Disney Duster wrote:WAIT...I think Disney made those avatars just because there's that new Xbox Disneyland game. They have Disney Princess avatars for it too, don't they?
Actually no. I checked online (seeing as you actually can't on the XBox If you have a male avatar.) The only female outfits available are Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas and Angelica from PotC!
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

They are funny two females for Disney to pick, no ?
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Amazing the very unusual but great designs.

...they could even attract collectors.

Think about adults going to a store and... : "Hi. I´m looking for the Prince Phillip action figure. You know, the prince from Sleeping Beauty".

PS

Beast doesn´t work and Phoebus is a great idea. I would also include Taron.

...plus, ¿why not add their respective villains?

PS2

¿Who on Earth would want an avatar of prince Charming? He would start singing opera style "One song... I have but one song..." or worse yet: start kissing female avatars.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

DisneyDude2010 wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:WAIT...I think Disney made those avatars just because there's that new Xbox Disneyland game. They have Disney Princess avatars for it too, don't they?
Actually no. I checked online (seeing as you actually can't on the XBox If you have a male avatar.) The only female outfits available are Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas and Angelica from PotC!
...what?

What about these?
Judah Ben-Hur

Post by Judah Ben-Hur »

DC Fan wrote:Amazing the very unusual but great designs.

...they could even attract collectors.

Think about adults going to a store and... : "Hi. I´m looking for the Prince Phillip action figure. You know, the prince from Sleeping Beauty".

PS

Beast doesn´t work and Phoebus is a great idea. I would also include Taron.

...plus, ¿why not add their respective villains?

PS2

¿Who on Earth would want an avatar of prince Charming? He would start singing opera style "One song... I have but one song..." or worse yet: start kissing female avatars.
I didn't choose beast, but they did do a prototype of him in battle (?) Armor on that link on my last post. the rhino horn one looks silly, but the other one isn't bad. Looks like he would have been quite big though.
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Disney Duster wrote:
DisneyDude2010 wrote: Actually no. I checked online (seeing as you actually can't on the XBox If you have a male avatar.) The only female outfits available are Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas and Angelica from PotC!
...what?

What about these?

I think they are only unlockable with the game. You cannot buy them at the store and aren't featured in the Disney Collection :P

There are some Princess items, but it's only small like Aurora on a T-shirt
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

OMG I would LOVE to see them give this franchise another stab.

I agree that they should focus on action figures, but they could also make larger versions of all the male figures that would be in neutral packaging. They could be made like G.I. Joe's are. When I was young I had Aladdin, Beast, and Eric dolls because they didn't really accomodate for larger toys of these characters. I can't imagine that there isn't a market for them in this way now.

I think the perfect line-up would be

Tarzan
Philip
Hercules
Peter Pan
Aladdin
Beast
Eric
Flynn
John Smith
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

singerguy04 wrote:I think the perfect line-up would be

Tarzan
Philip
Hercules
Peter Pan
Aladdin
Beast
Eric
Flynn
John Smith
Agreed. I hope Disney does start an action figure line of these characters.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:
singerguy04 wrote:I think the perfect line-up would be

Tarzan
Philip
Hercules
Peter Pan
Aladdin
Beast
Eric
Flynn
John Smith
Agreed. I hope Disney does start an action figure line of these characters.
That's a great line-up:) But what about Shang, Phoebus, Jim Hawkins or Naveen? To crowded? Shang and Naveen both have their female counterpart in the Disney Princess franchise... Same can be said for the prince in Snow White and Prince Charming, but they are both a little bland?

I suppose adding them all would make it to crowded. But I would perhaps have removed Peter Pan and replaced him with someone else, he might be a little to young compared to the rest of them...
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Prince Edward wrote:That's a great line-up:) But what about Shang, Phoebus, Jim Hawkins or Naveen? To crowded? Shang and Naveen both have their female counterpart in the Disney Princess franchise... Same can be said for the prince in Snow White and Prince Charming, but they are both a little bland?
Phoebus isn't a well-known Disney character, and Shang, Jim and Naveen all appear in movies that aren't really popular or beloved by the public at large (especially Jim). As for the first two princes - not only are they too bland, but also don't really perform any heroic acts. Prince Philip battles a dragon, the Prince kisses a woman. Eric fights a gigantic sea witch with octopus-esque tentacles, Prince Charming...yawns. Would I be wrong in saying that Cinderella's Prince is the worst prince character Disney has ever done?
Prince Edward wrote:I suppose adding them all would make it to crowded. But I would perhaps have removed Peter Pan and replaced him with someone else, he might be a little to young compared to the rest of them...
I don't think his age matters; he looks more like a teen than a boy anyway, and his antagonists are pirates, so he would be ideal for a Disney Heroes line.
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Shang is in the franchise on the XBox 360 (see page 1 for image)

I think Peter Pan is perfect for the line up regardlless of age. The Peter Pan franchise has been quite successful for Disney. First Tinker Bell and now the 'Never Land Pirates TV series, so it just seems stupid not to focus on Peter Pan primarily.

Yer I agree that about Phoebus not being included and Yer Cinderella's Prince is extremely boring and underdeveloped in the first movie, it's only until Cinderella 3 were we actually see Prince Charming in action. But seeing as Disney only markets characters from originals, I can't see any point of him being inducted into the franchise.

I'm so glad Hercules has been introduced. I loved the movie and It's a really shame that Disney doesn't really market the movie and produce merchandise of Herc' or Meg' :)

I do think Tarzan should be introduced. He could be a great role model for young boys, but is the movie that popular for Disney to consider this?
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Prince Edward wrote:
Dr Frankenollie wrote: Agreed. I hope Disney does start an action figure line of these characters.
That's a great line-up:) But what about Shang, Phoebus, Jim Hawkins or Naveen? To crowded? Shang and Naveen both have their female counterpart in the Disney Princess franchise... Same can be said for the prince in Snow White and Prince Charming, but they are both a little bland?

I suppose adding them all would make it to crowded. But I would perhaps have removed Peter Pan and replaced him with someone else, he might be a little to young compared to the rest of them...
My thought process for selecting these guys was more about probable or known back story than princess counterparts. I wouldn't want to say that you have to be a prince to be a hero. In that respect I would probably add Shang, but I think overall he's not as recognizable as a character.

Jim Hawkens and Phoebus also fall into a category of forgettable. Treasure Planet being one of the lowest performing DAC's and Hunchback being lucky that Disney acknowledges it's existance at all.

Naveen is just not a hero. The film states pretty clearly that he didn't live a respectable life prior to coming to New Orleans. Sure, he was going to give himself to Charlotte so that Tiana could have her dream, but when compared to any of these other guys he's pretty lame.

I do have some reservations about including Peter Pan, but when you think about it he's probably one of the most heroic of them all. I mean, the boy is constantly pitted in battles against all the perils of Neverland. He's probably seen more action than any of these heroes could imagine. So despite his age (which really wouldn't be too far from Snow White's actually...) I would definately consider him in the lineup.

Now for the Princes. We can't even assume anything about 'The Prince' from Snow White because the film didn't give us anything to work with. The Huntsman has more character than the prince, so I really can't imagine anyone really rushing to buy merchandise based on the character. Prince Charming has a bit more presence, and at least we know he's returning from war or some sort of military duty. I'd be a lot more inclined to include him in the line, but I think compared to these other guys he's really flat. Cinderella III actually does a lot to make him more of a hero, but I wouldn't want to have him in solely based on his character in the sequels.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I've too much time on my hands, and I like to daydream. Here's how I envision a line such as Disney's Heroes. Or maybe Disney's Adventures or Disney's Epic or whatever goes down well with the test market group.

Target Demographic- Boys, age 5-11

Premise: Male heroes from Disney animated films, stylized and portrayed as teenagers before the events of their respective movies.

Roster-

Philip- Adversary [AKA: toy that comes w/ action figure], a dragon (that suspiciously resembles Maleficent). World [AKA: packaging], the middle ages, England.

Eric- Adversary, various sea monsters (I'm thinking a giant squid). World, the open ocean.

Aladdin- Adversary, mamlucks. World, Ancient Agrabah.

Hercules- Adversary, titans (I disregarded continuity for this one). World, Ancient Greece.

Shang- Adversary, ??? (I think the bad guys should come from Chinese mythology, but I'm not familiar with it). World, Ancient China.

Tarzan- Adversary, giant python, giant jaguar, T-Rex, it's Tarzan so anything goes. World, the jungle.

Merchandise: Toys, action figures, books, video games. Maybe a tie-in TV show on DisneyXD?

I think this would be a pretty strong starting line-up for a boy's line. I'm the least sure about Philip, but he does have the awesome dragon scene in Sleeping Beauty so I thought he was worthy of inclusion. I added Shang because his environment is so much different from the other characters and has potential to sell well, regardless of Mulan's popularity, which is actually rather substantial, IMHO. Also, I want to point out that the lack of "Prince" before Eric's and Philip's names is purposeful.

I didn't include the Beast because, during his teenage years, depending on how you interpret the film, he's either a spoiled brat or locked away in his castle. Although he'd definitely be great to finagle in later if the line was to prove successful. I mused adding in Snow White's prince, but then I ended up with five potential heros of the forest, the aforementioned prince, Philip, Flynn Rider, John Smith, and King Arthur. Out of the five, I picked Philip because he had the most potential for the greatest adventures. Peter Pan was too young for this line (and the tights wouldn't have gone over too well, either...). I considered Naveen, as a hero of music, but couldn't think of an adversary for him since we know so little about his background.

And that's all I got folks.
Last edited by UmbrellaFish on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

I think Disney should have 10 "official" heroes, like the princesses. My choices:

Peter Pan
Prince Phillip
Robin Hood
Tron
Aladdin
Hercules
Shang
Tarzan
Jim Hawkins
Flynn

Like the Princess line, all but one are from DAC* and most represent different design/theme backgrounds. I'd include Shang for his more unique armour/weapon design [Edit: as UmbrellaFish mentions], but ditch all but one of the "princes" due to the negative reactions you'd likely get from boys using that word and because most do nothing in their movies. While the Beast's toy designs are neat, they don't really reflect anything that happens in the movie, so I wouldn't include him either.

Less popular characters could be mixed in to boost their exposure and fit better with the more action oriented group focus. Having Peter Pan and Jim in the line also expands the group's age range.

*I decided to thrown in Tron to both cross promote that franchise and bring in a video game/sci-fi element to the group which already has themes of knights, priates, gladiators etc.

I considered Wart/Arthur, but he doesn't really do much and while Goliath would be cool, I doubt Disney would back a TV character's inclusion.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

singerguy04 wrote:Naveen is just not a hero. The film states pretty clearly that he didn't live a respectable life prior to coming to New Orleans. Sure, he was going to give himself to Charlotte so that Tiana could have her dream, but when compared to any of these other guys he's pretty lame.
Flynn also spends most of his film running away from/being frightened by enemies much stronger than him; the most he really does is get unexpectedly stabbed by Gothel. They're pretty much cut from the same mold (bad boy with childhood issues), but I get your point.

I would include Shang though, just because he's an army general (?) and I think most boys would like that.

Edit: I agree with Flanger-Hanger, that most of the princes should be cut if they tried this whole boy-centered thing. Phillip wins because he fights a dragon. :lol: I don't think Beast or Eric are action-y enough. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Disney's Divinity wrote: I don't think Beast or Eric are action-y enough. :lol:
Eric plowed a fucking ship into giant ursula's fat lard tummy. Taking the "MAN THE HARPOONS!" to a whole another level.

That's pretty epic to me.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

UmbrellaFish wrote:Aladdin- Adversary, mamlucks. World, Ancient Agrabah.
What are mamlucks? :?
UmbrellaFish wrote:Also, I want to point out that the lack of "Prince" before Eric's and Philip's names is purposeful.
Good idea.
UmbrellaFish wrote:I mused adding in Snow White's prince, but then I ended up with five potential heros of the forest, the aforementioned prince, Philip, Flynn Rider, John Smith, and King Arthur. Out of the five, I picked Philip because he had the most potential for the greatest adventures. Peter Pan was too young for this line (and the tights wouldn't have gone over too well, either...). I considered Naveen, as a hero of music, but couldn't think of an adversary for him since we know so little about his background.
I think Flynn would be a better choice than Philip: he's the most recent Disney hero, has more personality than Philip and would be appealing to boys due to his status as a thief rather than a prince.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I don't think killing an octopus-lady seems as epic as killing a dragon. But I'm just thinking what 8 year olds might think. :lol:

Edit: @Dr. Frankenollie: Mamlucks(?) are zombie beings that serve Mozenwrath in the Aladdin TV show.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:I think Flynn would be a better choice than Philip: he's the most recent Disney hero, has more personality than Philip and would be appealing to boys due to his status as a thief rather than a prince.
I did think about that, but what I really found out was that Flynn (as charismatic and original as he is) just isn't heroic. Disney's Divinity explained it better in an earlier post. He never pulls off any magnificent feats, and in the movie, Rapunzel continually puts him in danger for the sake of adventure. The way I cut out my brand premise, he wouldn't quite fit with the others, which dismayed me, actually.

As for the mamalu(c)ks (Wikipedia spelled it with a "c" but everything else seems to drop it), Disney's Divinity already explained that, too. Here's a picture:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

singerguy04 wrote:Prince Charming has a bit more presence, and at least we know he's returning from war or some sort of military duty. I'd be a lot more inclined to include him in the line, but I think compared to these other guys he's really flat.
The film doesn't say what he is returning from. It just shows him on a horse with a very big sword, and the King says that's how he has gotten "farther away from him". So the Prince is probably off on horseback with a sword, but what he's actually doing could be anything from fighting battles to just exploring on his own. I personally think it's the latter option since it sounds like the Prince is doing what he wants of his own accord, and the film says the kingdom is at peace. It wouldn't be fighting any wars.

Neither he nor Snow White's Prince would be good for the Heroes line.