Olaf Presents

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Olaf Presents

Post by Sotiris »

The Italian website Today posted a list of upcoming content for Disney+ Italy which included a show called "Olaf's Retelling" set to premier on August 27, 2021. Based on the title, it's safe to assume it will be a series of shorts where Olaf retells Disney movies, inspired by the popular scene in Frozen 2.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: Olaf's Retelling

Post by DisneyFan09 »

:facepalm:

Oh no. Not another Frozen short! Let them go (pun not intended)!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Aww, I think it sounds cute. I'm an Olaf fan, but I totally get that he's not everyone's cup of tea!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Don`t get me wrong. I actually like Olaf myself. But there`s been too many Frozen shorts during these years, so now I`m tired of them (naturally).
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

the problem isn't that there's been too many shorts, its that they've mostly been Olaf centered. Probably b/c they still haven't had time to figure out how/where to move the franchise's main story forward. They're probably too wrapped up finishing Encanto, the next two animated feature films and all those D+ series. :roll:
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Awww, that sounds kinda cute. I like Olaf and Frozen generally, so I'm pretty much on board with this.
Sotiris

Re: Olaf Presents

Post by Sotiris »

A trademark has been registered for "Olaf Presents" which seems to be the final name of the show.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Olaf screwing good Disney films will premiere on Disney + on November 12th:
An all-new original series of shorts from Walt Disney Animation Studios called Olaf Presents, which sees Frozen’s beloved snowman retelling several classic Disney tales as only he can
source: https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/the-wa ... -and-more/

Logo:
https://twitter.com/disneyfrozen/status ... 1855884298
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Something else confined to Disney+ that I'd be interested to see. Oh, well.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

So…. classic Disney in CGI? That would the cheap solution. Not sure what to think of this.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't have any more good will left in me to give to that stupid snowman. Such a shame too since he started as a loveable naive sidekick, but of course Disney had to turn him into the most obnoxious thing they ever made, and with that Josh Gad voice too... Sure let's see him turn Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs or The Lion King into a gag, I'm sure it's not going to be overplayed and tiresome... I didn't even care for it in Frozen II, it really didn't need a recap of the original film, even the cheapquels didn't do it. When I was a kid and watched Return of Jafar I didn't think "hmm... What happened in the original?!? I'm so confused". Everyone saw the original Frozen, but now is the time where the people at Disney don't trust their audience (see Into the Unknown episode 4).

I mean even the most die hard Frozen fans would rather they did something with Anna or Elsa or Kristoff or Hans. Even do something with the Northuldra like a TV show or something, such a waste.
Disney's Divinity

On the contrary, I thought that was one of the funniest moments in Frozen II. I seem to remember the majority of the reactions around that film's release agreeing. I don't consider myself an Olaf fan, but more re-enactments like that for various Disney films would be funny to me. *shrug*
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I understand people being tired of Olaf since Disney has used him so much, but I personally think these shorts are a great idea. To me, his recap of the first film was also one of the funniest moments in Frozen II. I hope they're respectful to the Disney classics, though.
PatrickvD wrote:So…. classic Disney in CGI? That would the cheap solution. Not sure what to think of this.
Do you mean that the shorts could feature the classic characters in CGI? I don't think they'll do that. The recap scene in Frozen II didn't include any footage from the first film, so I think they'll do the same here and they'll only show Olaf performing the stories, probably also with the help of Sven. Maybe the Northuldra or some kind of public will also appear, and I can see Anna, Elsa or Kristoff making a cameo as well.
Farerb wrote:I didn't even care for it in Frozen II, it really didn't need a recap of the original film, even the cheapquels didn't do it. When I was a kid and watched Return of Jafar I didn't think "hmm... What happened in the original?!? I'm so confused". Everyone saw the original Frozen, but now is the time where the people at Disney don't trust their audience (see Into the Unknown episode 4).
I don't think their intention with that recap was to remind people of the events of the first movie. If they had wanted to do that, they would've put it at the beginning of the film. I think they included it just to make people laugh.
Farerb wrote:Logo:
The "Olaf" font is similar to the one used for Olaf's Frozen Adventure.

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

My issue with this project is that this concept doesn't fit in the Frozen universe and it won't make any sense. It's going to be more meta nonsense that's much worse than the time Olaf turned into Mickey Mouse.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It wouldn't be the first time that something like that happened in the Frozen universe. There was that dreadful Lego TV special. In addition, Jennifer Lee might claim it's not canon like she did to Olaf's Frozen Adventure.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

That Lego special wasn't produced by WDAS though. By the way, Olaf Presents was directed by Hyrum Osmond who also directed At Home with Olaf.
Disney's Divinity

I'm not sure how this concept could ever be executed in a way that would be misconstrued as canon. Unless Disney movies exist within the Frozen universe, it's clearly non-canon.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

This was exactly what I expected it to be. It was clearly made on the cheap; they are reusing Frozen 2 assets like they did with At Home with Olaf. It's interesting they only highlighted movies of the Renaissance and the Revival. I have to say, I'm ambivalent about this project. On the one hand, these shorts seem innocuous; on the other, I don't like how WDAS is getting pimped out and their legacy exploited for some quick and cheap content. I guess it's only the beginning of the studio's selling out. I'm more worried about the Tiana series and the eventual series about other classic princesses. I'm scared of what they'll do to characters like Ariel or Cinderella.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »