The Rescuers & The Rescuers Down Under: SPECIAL EDITION

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

Can someone be kind enough to explain to me the whole "sourced from film/CAPS" thing?
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

rodis wrote:Can someone be kind enough to explain to me the whole "sourced from film/CAPS" thing?
The Disney animated films from the Rescuers Down Under and afterwards are all digital. This means they exist in digital form in a computer somewhere, the animation and colour info untouched by time and ready to be seem in pristine form. The digital files have no grain (as there is no film medium involved), no print damage or scratches etc. you'd expect that Disney would source everything they have from the original CAPS files but for some reason, they haven't for the RDU.

The strange thing is that the CG models on the film (the only think that can really show the film's age) have been rerendered apparently (if they weren't they would show aliasing).

There are 3 different explanations behind this
1. The original models had an extremely high resolution - highly unlikely
2. They rerendered the models and inserted them on the already-existing film print of the movie - that's what happened IMO
3. They did everything digitally but passed the whole thing on film later on - highly unlikely as well.
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

^Thanks!!

I never realized that's what kept those films from being grainy. Thanks again.
Special Edition

Post by 271286 »

Lnds500 wrote:
rodis wrote:Can someone be kind enough to explain to me the whole "sourced from film/CAPS" thing?
The Disney animated films from the Rescuers Down Under and afterwards are all digital. This means they exist in digital form in a computer somewhere, the animation and colour info untouched by time and ready to be seem in pristine form. The digital files have no grain (as there is no film medium involved), no print damage or scratches etc. you'd expect that Disney would source everything they have from the original CAPS files but for some reason, they haven't for the RDU.

The strange thing is that the CG models on the film (the only think that can really show the film's age) have been rerendered apparently (if they weren't they would show aliasing).

There are 3 different explanations behind this
1. The original models had an extremely high resolution - highly unlikely
2. They rerendered the models and inserted them on the already-existing film print of the movie - that's what happened IMO
3. They did everything digitally but passed the whole thing on film later on - highly unlikely as well.

If this is true then people should boycott this RDU release... I cannot believe that Disney could easily have made a MUCH better transfer for this and they didn't... Disgusting!
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

^Boycotting the release would do nothing except confirm to Disney that these films aren't in demand. (You just KNOW that's what they'll attribute low sales to)

No, I suggest we get all Disney fans TO buy the release and THEN start a campaign similar to the one that got Pinocchio fixed. That's the ONLY way I could see Disney even giving these films a second look. I've heard the first Rescuers film's restoration ALSO isn't very good... I just picked up my copy an hour ago and haven't had time to watch it yet, I'm just going by the reviews I've read.
Special Edition

Post by 271286 »

ProfessorRatigan wrote:^Boycotting the release would do nothing except confirm to Disney that these films aren't in demand. (You just KNOW that's what they'll attribute low sales to)

No, I suggest we get all Disney fans TO buy the release and THEN start a campaign similar to the one that got Pinocchio fixed. That's the ONLY way I could see Disney even giving these films a second look. I've heard the first Rescuers film's restoration ALSO isn't very good... I just picked up my copy an hour ago and haven't had time to watch it yet, I'm just going by the reviews I've read.
Ok, your idea is better. I doubt they would care though.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

ProfessorRatigan wrote:^Boycotting the release would do nothing except confirm to Disney that these films aren't in demand. (You just KNOW that's what they'll attribute low sales to)

Let's get The Lion King's cloud mistake fixed before we start campaigning for a new transfer for these.
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Personally, I'd rather have new transfers for these films than have the clouds in TLK...
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

ProfessorRatigan wrote:Personally, I'd rather have new transfers for these films than have the clouds in TLK...
Seriously? You'd rather have things look a little cleaner than to fix an actual error in the print, an entire layer of animation blatantly missing?
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I'm at Walmart and I'm a little annoyed they don't have Rescuers or Pocahontas. Seeing they had neither, I did let loose with an "Oh, come on!! :x" But not loud enough to turn heads.

Really, Disney. Would it kill you to place your latest releases in all stores? Keep in mind I didn't check Target or Best Buy yet.
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

Did you check the front in addition to the DVD section? My Wal-Mart had them.

I got mine at Best Buy, took a bit to find them at first. There were in a spot up front I didn't notice, but only Pocahontas was in with the Disney aisle towards the back. For a moment I thought Pocahontas' mediocrity was so strong that it drove people to buy 70s Disney stuff.
Special Edition

Post by 271286 »

SWillie! wrote:
ProfessorRatigan wrote:Personally, I'd rather have new transfers for these films than have the clouds in TLK...
Seriously? You'd rather have things look a little cleaner than to fix an actual error in the print, an entire layer of animation blatantly missing?
Me to. The clouds must have been a decision made by the people behind the film, just like the colors for BaTB...
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

271286 wrote:
SWillie! wrote: Seriously? You'd rather have things look a little cleaner than to fix an actual error in the print, an entire layer of animation blatantly missing?
Me to. The clouds must have been a decision made by the people behind the film, just like the colors for BaTB...
You really believe that? We know for sure that mistakes like this CAN and DO happen - Pinocchio's line of dialogue completely missing is simply an audio track that must have accidentally gotten turned off. I think this is obviously the same situation - the clouds are a layer of animation that must have accidentally gotten turned off. The shot doesn't make sense without it.
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

The point I was trying to make is, I would rather have two FULL films than one shot...especially two films that Disney is probably NEVER going to look at again. We know they'll probably do more stuff with TLK, it is, after all, their biggest seller...but that's just me.

I've read that the colors on this release of the Rescuers aren't true to the originals also, but I'm not sure if that's true. (I'm not a big expert on this film. Can anybody verify that?)
Special Edition

Post by 271286 »

SWillie! wrote:
271286 wrote: Me to. The clouds must have been a decision made by the people behind the film, just like the colors for BaTB...
You really believe that? We know for sure that mistakes like this CAN and DO happen - Pinocchio's line of dialogue completely missing is simply an audio track that must have accidentally gotten turned off. I think this is obviously the same situation - the clouds are a layer of animation that must have accidentally gotten turned off. The shot doesn't make sense without it.
TBH Im not really in on the clouds issue of the TLK... So that's why I don't care...

And like ProfessorRatigan, Im sure we'll se more releases of TLK in the future... TRDU though... I was really hoping for a clean digital to digital transfer of this... I haven't seen this movie for many years... Recently I was waiting for it to come to Blu-Ray... Seeing the intro to the film on YouTube got me even more excited about re-watching it... Forgot how great it is... I really don't care about the first movie though as I never saw it as a kid, so I have no nostalgic craving for that one...

I really feel Disney should have done more with TRDU I find it far underrated... Because it's not as old as the first Rescuers film, I think it would be a lot easier for Disney to sell it to kids today... The 90's movies are more action driven and fits the kids of today much more than the old movies does... Such a shame they didn't even try with this release...
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

TRDU still looks fantastic. IMO, we're lucky to have it on Blu-ray at all. There was a time we didn't think it would happen.
ProfessorRatigan wrote: I've read that the colors on this release of the Rescuers aren't true to the originals also, but I'm not sure if that's true. (I'm not a big expert on this film. Can anybody verify that?)
I never heard that. I hope some don't say so to try to find something wrong with the release.
Chaz
Limited Issue

Post by Chaz »

I had to call Disney's Home Media hotline and order new slipcovers because every copy of every new Blu had damaged slipcovers at my local Wal-Mart.
Special Edition

Post by 271286 »

^^ Some people are easily impressed I guess :roll:

This release is NOT good... Being an all digital movie this release could have looked just as good as BaTB - more likely though like Treasure Planet... Had they done an all digital transfer, which would have been a little bit more time consuming it could have been the last time they would ever have to touch this movie... They could have done a proper hd transfer that was even ready for future formats like 4K... Ready for future releases and syndication... Now they'll likely have to do it all again... This would not look good in 4K... I actually think this movie would look interesting in 3D as well... They could have done that too while they were at it... They even could have released a regular Blu-Ray now and then used the digital transfer again for a 3D Blu-Ray in a year or two...

I hate being negative, but it pisses me off when Disney consistently puts absolutely no effort into these classics movies... When you see how well other studios treat their gems...
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

^I think you're overstepping with 3D. These days, 3D can cost an awful lot. that's why it costs so much for us.
Heil Donald Duck
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heil Donald Duck »

Well it doesn't mean its bad release of RDU even if it sourced from film rather than the CAPS file, Since the film probably hasn't aged that much since 1990. Although I can addmit I did like if someone could provide me with side by side comparison of CAPS file and film print.

As for the Lion King I'm not to sure about that cloud issue can anyone tell me at what minute in the film it happens? or provide me with some side by side comparisions?
Der Fuehrer's Face is the greatest Donald Duck cartoon ever made.