The Rescuers & The Rescuers Down Under: SPECIAL EDITION

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
NeverLand
Gold Classic Collection

The Rescuers & The Rescuers Down Under: SPECIAL EDITION

Post by NeverLand »

OMG guys I'm in shock right now!! I cant believe it :o

The Manager in Rotana Home Entertainment (Disney Distributing Company in the Middle East) has sent me the Schedule for Disney Releases in 2012.

Its says the Special Edition of The Rescuers & the Rescuers Down Under are scheduled to be released on Blu-Ray in 2012.

Along with other titles next year as you know like:

Cinderella 1 & 2 & 3
Lady & the Tramp 1 & 2
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: SPECIAL EDITION
Tarzan
Pocahontas 1 & 2: SPECIAL EDITION
The Fox & the Hound (for Europe)
UP (3D)
The Aristocats: SPECIAL EDITION
101 DALMATIANS 1 & 2: SPECIAL EDITION

GREAT year for Disney Releases :)
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

So... more Blu Rays coming.... :D
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

@NeverLand: Could you please scan and post the whole document that lists the upcoming Disney releases?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

...also The Aristocats.

Glad for The Rescuers/Under

...but, where are Hercules and Hunchback?
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Please just don't make them only available both in one case ala "The Fox and the Hound." I'll be buying both "Rescuers" movies regardless but there's no way I need "101 Dalmatians 2" or "Pocahontas 2."
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

The Aristocats already had a "special" edition and the last release of 101 Dalmatians was "platinum?"

Hm.. This is good news, though! :) I only own The Rescuers and have been meaning to get a hold of Down Under. Thanks for posting!

I hope Cinderella gets a really nice release similar to The Lion King Trilogy set.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

I'm not expecting Disney to add new bonus features for their most succesful feature from the 'dark age' (not to mention the one deemed worthy enough to get Disney's very first sequel), so I just hope for a new restauration.

Pocahontas' DVD will undoubtely be a 1-disc release, since Disney has thrown 80% of consumers under the bus. Somehow, I'll have to get my hands on the previous Special Edition, which was never released in Holland.
quang25thinh

Post by quang25thinh »

YESSSSSSSSS.. all my favorite oness~!!! :o :o :o :o :o
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

Can't wait for the AristoCats and The Rescuers!
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

So it's official? Dalmatians got the skinned from the Diamond editions?
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Christopher_TCUIH wrote:So it's official? Dalmatians got the skinned from the Diamond editions?
I have no idea which direction they are heading with the Diamond line anymore. It appears that Fantasia, Aladdin, and now 101 Dalmatians have been taken off. Maybe they are limiting it to just 10 titles like how the Platinum line initially started. Then again, the Diamond's we've been getting aren't really all that different from the regular special editions so does it even matter anymore as long as they are being released on Blu? IMO it doesn't anymore.

I'm just a little put off that if this release schedule is true, there is still no sign of a Hercules, Hunchback, or Aladdin release! Why would Tarzan hold precedence over those 3? It's had multiple releases on DVD, and doesn't seem to be any more popular. I feel as if Disney's neglect of Herc and Hunch is one of the biggest mysteries in the company right now.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

The Diamond line only exists so that us Disney loonies can tell wether Disney puts promotional effort into a release thus ensuring it sells as may copies as possible.

In terms of extras none of it matters anymore I agree. They're all a mixed bag these days. Which is fine by me since I mainly care about the picture quality.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

PatrickvD wrote:The Diamond line only exists so that us Disney loonies can tell wether Disney puts promotional effort into a release thus ensuring it sells as may copies as possible.
And also to make the average consumer go, "Ooh, shiny!"
PatrickvD wrote:In terms of extras none of it matters anymore I agree. They're all a mixed bag these days. Which is fine by me since I mainly care about the picture quality.
Right. I used to be all about the bonus features but they've become less and less of a priority to me.
abenotgabe
Gold Classic Collection

Post by abenotgabe »

Could it be possible that they are holding off on Hunchback and Hercules for 3D releases, maybe even theatrical ones? Hercules' Hydra fight sequence has 3D written all over it. Also, I haven't watched Hunchback in years but from what I remember, the Festival of Fools (Topsy Turvy) has some great CG effects with the crowds and the confetti explosions. I know its a long shot but being that a non-fairy tale classic re-release [The Lion King] did so well in theaters and the whole Tangled re-naming, they could have plans for these male-hero movies to attract a wider audience. Just a thought.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

abenotgabe wrote:Could it be possible that they are holding off on Hunchback and Hercules for 3D releases, maybe even theatrical ones? Hercules' Hydra fight sequence has 3D written all over it. Also, I haven't watched Hunchback in years but from what I remember, the Festival of Fools (Topsy Turvy) has some great CG effects with the crowds and the confetti explosions. I know its a long shot but being that a non-fairy tale classic re-release [The Lion King] did so well in theaters and the whole Tangled re-naming, they could have plans for these male-hero movies to attract a wider audience. Just a thought.
Nope, Disney is still just pretending these films were never made as far as I know.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

But WHY are they pretending ?! They are BOTH boy centered as well !
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

If Disney did care for Hercules and Hunchback they would have at least rereleased them on Special Edition DVDs long ago.

I really don´t understand why they don´t care for them.

Hercules is a very commercial film; having Hades.

Hunchback is an amazing adult movie.

However, we keep on having rereleases of less popular movies.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

PatrickvD wrote:The Diamond line only exists so that us Disney loonies can tell wether Disney puts promotional effort into a release thus ensuring it sells as may copies as possible.
Bingo
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
DisneyGuy220987

Post by DisneyGuy220987 »

Woah, great find!

I already have all the canon films, some of the 2 disc editions were US exclusives, but I like to sometimes double dip for the new DVD cover art lol.

I only wish all of them were 2 disc editions, pre-bluray.

I know the grey DVDs are to distinguish from the blu-rays, but I wish they had art on them (yes, I do have a blu-ray player lol, but I don't go out my way to buy a film on blu-ray if I've already got it on 2 disc DVD).

Can't wait to see the cover art!
DisneyGuy220987

Post by DisneyGuy220987 »

DC Fan wrote:If Disney did care for Hercules and Hunchback they would have at least rereleased them on Special Edition DVDs long ago.

I really don´t understand why they don´t care for them.

Hercules is a very commercial film; having Hades.

Hunchback is an amazing adult movie.

However, we keep on having rereleases of less popular movies.
I agree, both are GREAT movies, the story and animation in them is really fantastic.

"Zero to Hero" from Hercules and "Hellfire" from Hunchback are also 2 of my favourite musical numbers. The Muses are some of the best characters in Hercules, in my opinion