The Rescuers & The Rescuers Down Under: SPECIAL EDITION

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Here are video comparisons of the Lion King cloud issue. It is at 0:54 in the videos.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p ... count=2132
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I just got this set in the mail, and popped the disc into my Blu-ray disc player to check out the AV quality for both films. I didn't watch the films, I just used the chapter skip button to see clips.

The Rescuers looks terrific. Simply terrific. Colours are strong. Backgrounds are exquisitely detailed. The rough lineart is wonderfully resolved. And the print appears to be near spotless.

This is no "budget scrubbing", but an excellent restoration, and one that will delight purists who cringe at Disney's suspected revisionism of better-selling titles.

Also, guess what. RDU looks great too. The only issue I noticed on the second film (in the clips I watched) was that the colours seem a touch muted. But that's nothing that can't be fixed by adjusting the TV's saturation.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Well, as long as RDU is not a digital presentation, I respectfully will not take your word for it and instead judge for myself when I get the disc.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

ajmrowland wrote:Well, as long as RDU is not a digital presentation, I respectfully will not take your word for it and instead judge for myself when I get the disc.
This is a bit strange, but although both films are sourced from 35 mm, The Rescuers looked a bit more ... striking. I don't know why. Certainly, it felt like more eye candy than the second film, video quality wise.

Also, the blue, old-school Walt Disney Pictures logo in front of Rescuers Down Under, is preserved. :)
JustOneBite87
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JustOneBite87 »

Jules wrote:
This is a bit strange, but although both films are sourced from 35 mm, The Rescuers looked a bit more ... striking. I don't know why. Certainly, it felt like more eye candy than the second film, video quality wise.
I'm guessing that's because Rescuers is a cel animated feature and as the transfer is almost certainly sourced from either the original negative or a 2nd generation print we are getting a more directly sourced copy of that film on blu.

RDU which was digitial to begin with, then transferred to film, then that film print was scanned and transferred back to digital for this release. Hence the colors are going to be more restrained from their original CAPS source.

So ironic that RDU was Disney's first all digitally animated film and yet no one has ever had the opportunity to see a fully realized digital-to-digital presentation of it since it debuted two decades ago!
AladdinFan
Special Edition

Post by AladdinFan »

I'm mad at Disney for not making these new releases with a bookmark where you left off. Now I have to remember where I left off. The point of blu-ray is to enjoy all these blu-ray features but Disney dosen't pay attention. They are just rushing all these animated movies on blu-ray just to get more money and they don't even put effort on these releases.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Just bought both films.

Watched The Rescuers already and watching Down Under right now.

I can´t believe that The Rescuers got a much better transfer than Down Under (being this one more recent).

Down Under is an improvement over the DVD release but not by that much. You can still see the grain.

Weren´t Disney restorations to be the best ones out there?

What happened here? :?
Last edited by DC Fan on Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

DC Fan wrote:Down Under is an improvement over the DVD release but not by that much. You can still see the grain.

Weren´t Disney restorations to be the best ones out there?

What happened here? :?
Think of it this way; would you rather have grain or DNR?
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

Lets just thank our lucky stars that there was a restoration! Cinderella & (apparently) Peter Pan have recycled restorations. The original Rescuers looks fantastic to me though :)
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:
Think of it this way; would you rather have grain or DNR?
DNR, 'cause grain, especially on Blu-ray, looks absolutely horrid, regardless of how "faithful" it is to the original.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Grain is good.

Part of the charm of old movies. If they had them.

Plus, this is the least we´re asking for. If Disney is not going to give us a proper restoration neither deserving extras they should start selling them at a bargain price.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Rescuers & The Rescuers Down Under: SPECIAL EDITION

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney Movie Club 2-Movie Collection coming June 14th:
https://imgur.com/a/BSjNX0q
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Rescuers & The Rescuers Down Under: SPECIAL EDITION

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I wish I didn't already have the previous Blu-ray... I'd really love to have that cover. :lol: Not buying again though.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"