Inside Out

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Inside Out

Post by estefan »

So, at D23, they announced two upcoming and untitled Pixar features and one will be directed by Pete Docter.
The second project, directed by Pete Docter and produced by Jonas Rivera, is described as follows: "Pixar takes audiences on incredible journeys into extraordinary worlds: from the darkest depths of the ocean to the top of the tepui mountains in South America; from the fictional metropolis of Monstropolis to a futuristic fantasy of outer space. From director Pete Docter ('Up,' 'Monsters, Inc.') and producer Jonas Rivera ('Up'), the inventive new film will take you to a place that everyone knows, but no one has ever seen: the world inside the human mind." It's coming May 30, 2014.

Read more: D23 Expo: Disney•Pixar Announces Two New Films - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/d23expon ... z1VcqGvPQ3
Last edited by estefan on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

This reminds me of WALL-E and Up, where the concept seems strange when you first hear it but the film ends up being excellent. With all the recent rumours surrounding a possible Toy Story 4 I was thinking that this film would be TS4 so I'm glad Disney are working on another original project. It's too early to guess what the story might possibly be but based on this first synopsis and the fact that I've loved both of the films that Pete Docter has already directed, I'm excited and intrigued for this project.
Last edited by DisneyAnimation88 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Yeah, when you put "Pixar, movie, and dinosaurs never went extinct" in the same sentence, you know something epic is cooking! :wink: :wink: :wink:
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Pete Docter's project is the 'Untitled Pixar Movie that You See Inside the Brain', which is being produced by Jonas Rivera. It's eyeing a summer 2014 release and is in the early stages of work.

Docter said the story will take the audience inside the head, "how we forget, why certain songs get stuck in our heads. It's a place that we've all been to but have never seen," he said.
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... xar-225635
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Is this supposed to be an informational film...? Or is it going to be something similar to Osmosis Jones, with characters/locales inside the brain?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Or is it going to be something similar to Osmosis Jones, with characters/locales inside the brain?
That's kinda what I understand it, just from the info......which....i'm intrigued by if it is like that , or even if it isn't...i'm curious to know
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

This sounds kind of odd. But, it is still early in what is known. I'm just happy it's the second original Pixar film in how long!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Toy Story 3 screenwriter Michael Arndt is all but confirmed to be writing the Untitled Pixar Movie That Takes You Inside the Mind.

IndieWIRE's The Playlist blog reported whispers of this when the film, set to open May 30, 2014, was announced this past Saturday.

After a fair bit of searching, I was able to find a post at Ain't It Cool News from April 2010 where Arndt casually mentioned: "I'm working on Pete Docter's next project at Pixar".

Pixar declined to comment "for now", but it's safe to assume things haven't changed and Arndt is still hard at work hammering out the script.
Source: http://pixarblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/a ... movie.html
According to the official statement, the movie will be produced by Jonas Rivera and directed by Docter, but what they aren’t telling you is that, according to our source, the script is being supplied by “Little Miss Sunshine”/”Toy Story 3” writer Michael Arndt. The current logline provided at D23 says that the film takes place “inside the human mind,” but we were told, more specifically, that it’s about the formation of ideas. It’s being described to us as “wildly ambitious” (even by the admittedly high Pixar standards).
Source: http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... sive_deta/#
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

John Lasseter wrote:Pete Docter, from Monsters, Inc. and Up, is doing a new film that takes place inside of a girl’s mind and it is about her emotions as characters, and that is unlike anything you’ve ever seen.
Source: http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/12024
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

So... a bunch of men are making a movie about what happens inside a girl's mind and displaying her emotions as characters...

That sounds like a load of crap. I mean, how would anyone pull that off without just falling on stereotypes of female emotions. Especially when the Director and Writer are male!

I'm not really one to judge a film before it's made, but this concept seems a bit, unlikely to appeal to me.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

singerguy04 wrote:So... a bunch of men are making a movie about what happens inside a girl's mind and displaying her emotions as characters...

That sounds like a load of crap. I mean, how would anyone pull that off without just falling on stereotypes of female emotions. Especially when the Director and Writer are male!

I'm not really one to judge a film before it's made, but this concept seems a bit, unlikely to appeal to me.
This Perhaps,

[img]<iframe%20width="420"%20height="315"%20src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OG3ieifrqy ... "></iframe>[/img]

or

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KF9mfwXAFgY" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

^ Yeah, doesn't make me feel any better. haha

It's Pixar, so I'm sure I'll warm up to the idea sometime.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

singerguy04 wrote:So... a bunch of men are making a movie about what happens inside a girl's mind and displaying her emotions as characters...

Considering the controversy behind the upcoming Brave, it might be worth investigating this "boys' club" that seems to prevail in most studios.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Alphapanchito
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Alphapanchito »

Assuming that the male writer and director don't know about female emotions aside from stereotypes is sexist and it is a stereotype of your "average" man. I agree, though, that we cannot judge this at all until we all see the movie for ourselves. I, personally am going to give them the benefit of the doubt, as I think men (hopefully, these "Pixar" men) are definitely capable of creating a entertaining movie based on real female emotions. I don't usually like Pixar movies. I don't hate them, but they are most definitely not my favorite subject to view more than once. But I must admit this sounds really interesting and unique to me, and I hope they don't mess it up.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Semaj wrote:

Considering the controversy behind the upcoming Brave, it might be worth investigating this "boys' club" that seems to prevail in most studios.
I think it's about time a woman fully direct a film at Pixar and/ or Disney!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Sotiris wrote:
John Lasseter wrote:Pete Docter, from Monsters, Inc. and Up, is doing a new film that takes place inside of a girl’s mind and it is about her emotions as characters, and that is unlike anything you’ve ever seen.
Source: http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/12024
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Alphapanchito wrote:

Assuming that the male writer and director don't know about female emotions aside from stereotypes is sexist and it is a stereotype of your "average" man.
Really?

Last I checked Pete Doctor, Jonas Rivera, Michael Arndt, and John Lasseter are not and have never been women. How can they really understand how a woman would think without relying on stereotypes? This is not simply a film about a woman, this is boasting to be whats inside the woman's mind. How on earth would a man EVER know what's inside a woman's mind!?! Biologically a man cannot understand a woman's mind because we are different. The way we process information, the way we learn, the way we grow up, social expectations, EVERYTHING is different between the two.

I think what bothers me is that this whole notion that "if I study someone hard enough or hang out with someone long enough, I can understand completely what kind of person they are and how they view the world" is acceptable. As a gay man, this annoys me because I hate almost all gay characters on TV, film, or stage that have been created by a straight man or woman. Almost always these characters rely on the stereotypes of the gay population. I'd love to find a gay character that has been created that has never once confessed their love for broadway, was obsessed with fashion, wasn't a man whore, or was into the arts. The simple fact is, no one that isn't gay can really understand what it is to be gay, and the same goes for anybody.

I'm in no way sexist in saying that a man cannot understand a woman, the real sexist idea is thinking that a man CAN understand a woman's mind. I think every man, "average" or not, should humbly accept the fact that they will never be able to know how others think.

Like I said above, I'm not trying to judge the film yet. Knowing Pixar it'll end up being something special, but I personally would feel 1000% better if a woman were majorly involved in this project.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Have you ever watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer? None of the gay characters on that show fall into the stereotypes you mention. Joss Whedon is a writer that attempts not to portray characters in a stereotypical way. But I have noticed that the media seems to go out of their way to only portray gay characters in one way.

In regards to the comments that Pixar's mostly male team shouldn't be writing a story like this, I disagree. I think when it gets to human emotion, they are some of the best in the film industry at the moment. And it's not like they haven't written strong female characters that don't fall into the usual stereotypes as Dory, Elastigirl, Edna Mode, Colette, Jesse the Cowgirl and EVE have proven. Plus, I'm sure they have female crew that can lead them in portraying an accurate female mind. Apparently, Joan Cusack was quite involved in how Jesse was written in Toy Story 2.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

singerguy, you're acting as if Pete Doctor and John Lasseter sit down alone and make the entire film. Do you really not think that every female employee at Pixar will contribute to the story? I don't think anybody is trying to pretend that they know everything about the female mind. As a man, you simply can't. But this is what they do. They're actors. They study the behaviors and actions of others, and from what they've given us so far, it seems that they are pretty damn good at turning that knowledge about people into great characters.

They didn't come out and say "We think Pete Doctor would be the best choice to make a movie about a woman, because he knows everything that happens in a woman's mind." And since they did not say that, no one is being sexist at all. Would it maybe be better if they had a female at the helm of this project? Possibly. Possibly not. Maybe it's good to have someone that is not personally affected by female thoughts. But regardless, this is not sexist whatsoever. They're going to try their best to capture the best female emotions they can.

I understand what you're saying about how gay men have been portrayed in the majority of the media. But this is not the same thing. At all.

Also, Disney has been creating films with female leads for 70 years now, with the majority of them being made by 90% men... But now that Pixar is doing it, it's bad?
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I do think its about time they get a women director on board to fully direct, but would this even be an issue had Brenda Chapman stayed on Brave? Probably not. I do still wish they hadn't removed Brenda but some of you are using this movie as target to champion your own priority onto their movies. Their goal is create the best movie they can using whoever they see fit. And its not like their made by one person. Everyone from the director's wives, artists, etc are all there to give a female perspective when the director needs it.

And even if this girl does fall into a stereotype, who ever said this one girl is supposed to represent every woman? This character doesn't have to speak/think for every girl, just herself. And like it or not, a large number of people do fall into some kind of stereotype. That's why they exist. Stereotypes do have a place. They can be used to effectively communicate near universal ideas in the fastest easiest way possible. You kinda need stereotypes in order to challenge them in the first place. But you only have a limited amount of screen time to work with, so rather than spending half the movie to give us the gist of the character maybe they think it would be more efficient to make her a well known type of person so they can jump right into the story. Maybe give her some quirks along the way to humanize her more.

Of course that's just one way to go, there are so many ways to tackle this.
Last edited by Kyle on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.