Disney Is Remastering Song of the South - Possible Release?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Re: Disney Is Remastering Song of the South - Possible Relea

Post by dvdjunkie »

GreatGreg wrote:
This is what makes the post confusing. It sounds like you think these blu-rays are legit.
You are missing the whole point of this discussion about a Walt Disney classic that has not seen the light of day on almost any form of video in the United States.

For one, I am not ignorant of the fact that these discs are Second generation (bootlegs), in fact I don't really care for bootlegs that much because most of the time the quality is very suspicious.

When I went to this Computer/Electronics show, which comes to Wichita on a yearly basis, I was looking for a printer for my computer. Stumbling across this huge block of tables that were mostly DVD's and legitimate Blu-rays, I was able to take some time looking at what they had. If I was a wealthy person, there were so many Second generation Disney Blu-rays there, that I could have bought probably 20 titles, but I didn't. When I saw "Song of the South", the young lady who was overseeing that part of the DVD and Blu-ray collection said that I would be surprised at the quality of the picture and sound, and proceeded to show me some of the other titles that I might like to look at.

There are those of us here on UD who are always searching for that "lost" title, and sometimes there are even ads running on the side panels of our forums, and some of those are good and some aren't worth the money.

A friend of mine who went to this year's Comic-Con in San Diego, said that there was a plethora of Second generation DVD's and Blu-ray for sale at various places around the convention hall. He is the one who showed me the Blu-ray of "Song of the South" that I truly wanted to add to my collection. I already had a two-disc DVD that was immaculate in its quality, but when I saw just a few minutes of SOTS, I was bound to find my own copy, which a couple of weeks later I did.

I am in no way touting that bootlegs are the way to go, but when Disney turns it head away from a true classic movie, then we need to sign petitions, and do whatever we can to get this masterpiece released on some form of video, be in DVD or Blu-ray or both. If and when Disney decides to release "Song of the South" on a Blu-ray combo pack I will be among the first in line to get one. But until that day comes I will be happy to watch what I have.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

My policy has always been not to buy bootlegs of Disney films (or any films) however one exception I made was Song of the South. Disney won't give it too us anytime soon if ever, so before Disney went on a crackdown of the bootlegs, I bought a DVD of it which was a bootleg.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

I really wish you could post pictures of the Blu-ray you got, dvdjunkie.
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I apologize for that. I don't have access to a printer at this time, and in my financial and physical condition I don't see a new printer in my future. The picture of the UK VHS release in this thread is pretty close to what the 'bootleg' Blu looks like.

Believe me, if you go to one of these Computer/Electronic shows you will definitely know it when you see it. For $15 I couldn't pass it up.

I don't believe in bootlegs, myself. I want the real stuff, but when a studio, such as Disney, refuses to put out a DVD of a certain title, I will be all over a bootleg that is of good quality. That was why I bought "The Flim Flam Man" on a 'boot' blu because it has never been on any form of video that I am aware of.

I do not condone buying bootlegs but when a studio refuses to release a movie that is clamored for, like "Song of the South", then where else do you turn?
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

I read somewhere that if a film has not been released in your country, that it is actually legal to have a bootleg copy of it.
monks19

Post by monks19 »

I would be very curious in that extra feature containing the uncensored scenes from Fantasia... as far as I know there was only ever one TV airing of that which was recorded and it looks really bad. Even with remastering you can tell it's a very old bootleg.

Man, I want that bootleg set now.
Join the club.

What's surprising about this BR boothleg set (if it's true and not trolling) is the fact that the seller didn't leave a way to reach him for other sales (cards, email adress, website, facebook, etc). Most of those kind of sellers do generally.
I apologize for that. I don't have access to a printer at this time, and in my financial and physical condition I don't see a new printer in my future.
How convenient. You can't deny that this is quite suspicious (no offences intended, if it's true). In the the worst case, you can ask someone to take and send an image. I mean, I know a lot of people that have poor condition & health due from old age and are scared of anything that is too modern to them (cell phones, computers...) but they always managed to get aroud some solutions.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

dvdjunkie has been on these boards a LONG time; he's no troll.
GreatGreg
Gold Classic Collection

Post by GreatGreg »

I don't doubt that what he says is true. There are many, many bootleg retailers at fan shows and conventions around the country. However, a bootleg is a bootleg. If you buy them and support them, that is one thing, but please don't try to candy coat the truth with falsehoods such as 'bootlegs are legit where the original is not available'.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Nobody's claiming a bootleg is legit. Supply and Demand is the balance of industry, but when there's no supply whatsoever, than no matter how big, the demand far and away exceeds it, or at least in this case it does.

I got a bootleg DVD of the movie and I'm far from proud of that purchase, but I still enjoyed the movie in its entirety and think that it should at least be made available to collectors.
RowMan

Post by RowMan »

I think most people who purchase bootlegs of movies in general really have no intention of purchasing an officially released version. But in this case, I beieve that anyone in this discussion that has obtained a bootleg of SOTS would the first ones in line to buy a legitimate DVD / Bluray version if it was ever officially released.
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

One of my friends went to New York Comic Con, so I asked her to see if she could find the Blu-ray that dvdjunkie had mentioned. Unfortunately, she could not. Has anyone else had any luck in finding this edition of Song of the South?
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel