Disney Is Remastering Song of the South - Possible Release?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
WilbyDaniels
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WilbyDaniels »

As long as it is rated "G",they will never release it. That's why Disney hasn''t tried their damnest to stop bootleg copies of this film. Disney knows it is out there, but they're not associated with it. So whoever wants it can get it illegally
Little Red Henski
Special Edition

Post by Little Red Henski »

Why does Disney air Song of the South on TV in other counties but will not release it on DVD in other countries? I know they broad casted a nice remastered print in the UK a couple of years ago.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Little Red Henski wrote:Why does Disney air Song of the South on TV in other counties but will not release it on DVD in other countries? I know they broadcast a nice remastered print in the UK a couple of years ago.
Song of the South was a film that used to be screened reasonably often in the UK, usually around the time of school holidays (it also was widely available on VHS over here during the 90s). The last BBC broadcast was in 2006, however, and it hasn't been screened since. The general rule in the UK concerning TV film rights was that a network would purchase the rights to show a film three times, with the natural possibility to renew the license. The 2006 showing was the last of the three that the BBC had purchased, and was made after Iger put his strengthened block on the film. The remastered print may have been created with a DVD release in mind, but I can't say anything for sure. Needless to say, I believe that its level of quality was probably comparable a Gold Collection release, so it wouldn't really make the grade in today's HD environment.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Take this with a grain of salt, but this was on SongoftheSouth.net:
Rumor: Song of the South DVD Release in France?
Posted on March 31, 2012 by hemingray
Before I start, let me remind everyone that tomorrow is April 1st (April Fool’s Day). As is almost always the case, there is at least one obligatory “rumor” out there regarding Song of the South that pops up around this time. That being said…

According to the French Disney fan site Les Grands Classiques, Disney France has obtained exclusive permission from The Walt Disney Company to release Song of the South on DVD. They, in turn, reference this site. Without going into too much detail (Google Translate can only do so much), the site claims that it will be released exclusively in France beginning April 16, 2012 by international retail chain Fnac, and features a foreword by French actor Omar Sy.

So, is this a legitimate rumor or an early April Fool’s Day present? Well, as always, time will tell. I think you know which one I’m betting on.

Now, about that special Blu-Ray release of Song of the South featuring a commentary by Strom Thurmond… you can read that one over at campusbasement.com.

Thanks to Bobby and Marc for the news reports!
http://www.songofthesouth.net/news/2012 ... in-france/
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

It's an April Fools. Don't forget the time difference between France and the U.S.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Sotiris wrote:It's an April Fools. Don't forget the time difference between France and the U.S.
Oh I didn't, hence the "grain of salt" comment. I do feel however if this film gets released in the next few years, it won't be in the US. So a release in a country like France stands a very realistic chance if any place were going to get it.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Spottedfeather
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Spottedfeather »

littlefuzzy wrote:
Sotiris wrote:Or people from the U.S could easily import the film, which is perfectly legal.
Assuming the disc would play on a Region 1 NTSC player.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Disney make their discs, blu-ray at least, region free ?
Think about this. Once bread becomes toast, you can't make it back into bread.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Like a said, this film is a perfect candidate for a D23 exclusive for both formats. That's gonna be the only way.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Spottedfeather wrote:
littlefuzzy wrote: Assuming the disc would play on a Region 1 NTSC player.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Disney make their discs, blu-ray at least, region free ?
Normally these days that is the case (for Blu-rays, not DVD's), however I don't think it is always the case. They could be jerks about it and release it in another country region locked.

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:Like a said, this film is a perfect candidate for a D23 exclusive for both formats. That's gonna be the only way.
I fully agree, but doubt even that will happen. At the 2011 sock holders meeting in Salt Lake City, UT, when the "Song of the South" question came up, that was when Iger basically made his position very clear that he doesn't want it released at all and that he basically sees not releasing it as doing the moral right thing. When the person then asked if it could be released via something like the DMC, he complete squashed that possibility. I don't personally feel the film could even get released while he is CEO, at least not in the US if it did.

-Walt Disney
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Just received my bootleg copy from mayancastledvd.net. I'm anxious to watch it tonight. Does anyone else own a bootleg Song of the South? How's the quality?
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

carolinakid wrote:Just received my bootleg copy from mayancastledvd.net. I'm anxious to watch it tonight. Does anyone else own a bootleg Song of the South? How's the quality?
Please let us know how it 'plays out'
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

‘Song of South’ DVD at Uncle Remus Museum
http://www.msgr.com/news/community/arti ... f887a.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Love the cover art. So is this actually coming from Disney or is it just a bootleg that Disney is letting them sell? Honestly, if they were selling the Blu-ray, I'd make a special trip down there.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

I highly doubt it's an authorized DVD release and I hope for their safe Disney never gets wind of them selling dvds of this title or they will have them in court with a huge lawsuit on their hands.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I think I need to check with some people and find out!

-Walt Disney
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

If this is legit, this is a perfect way to finally release the film on DVD. Won't stir controversy, selling it somewhere that's perfect, brilliant.
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

I've seen the very same DVD at various gift shops in Georgia for at least two years now. I'm pretty sure it's just a very popular bootleg. Every time I see it, I wonder how it's slipped past Disney's lawyers for so long.
- John
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I got a message back from Disney Home Entertainment. They don't know anything about it, but to be fair, it could be just that person who wrote me back. I have my doubts that the left hand knows what the right hand is doing there at Disney all the time. Either way, I've been passed on to Disney Legal (cue scary music), so we'll see how it goes.

It may be a bootleg. However, I feel rather strongly that THIS may be the best way to finally get this out on DVD. The fact that there are so many boot legs out there for this film, considering how old it is as well, I think screams how much people want it on DVD finally.

I'll pass on what I find out.

-Walt Disney
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

You're very right that the left hand doesn't always know what the right hand is doing. In such a massive company, communication is very difficult.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

SWillie! wrote:You're very right that the left hand doesn't always know what the right hand is doing. In such a massive company, communication is very difficult.
Seriously! Disney Legal sent me an automated messages letting me know they would look into it, but they won't let me know how it goes. Basically, I just got the run around. The author of the article won't respond to my e-mails, and the museum never picks up their phone and has not responded to my messages.

I have a few more things to try still, but for now, my feeling is while I have no doubt Disney has given this museum various items for display, I'm starting to doubt how legal this DVD is. If the situation changes, I'll be sure to pass it along, but I fear the Disney fan base has been screwed over once again.

Again however, I have to stress how much of a good idea I feel it is if Disney were to put this film on DVD, to go this route. They wash their hands of the film and the fans still get it it on DVD. Stay tuned!

-Walt Disney