DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:16 am 
Collector's Edition

If you want to save some of your comments on iMDb which you have posted on boards related to Disney movies, actors and series (and other kind of movies as well), you better do it now because two weeks from now all those boards will be permanently closed and all their content deleted.

The places on the net where one can discuss movies and other topics are getting fewer and fewer. I just hope it does not include this one as well. iMDb and this one is how a board is supposed to look like; easy to navigate in, no voting systems, anonymity, search engines, a simple set up and so on. You can discuss both topics and movies that are decades old. Now compare that with modern social media, which is a mess. Visit a place and return an hour later, and you will have missed what was posted when you were gone. Those places are all about right her and right now. The threads are so short-lived that there is something ephemeral about it all. You need to scroll down one thread at the time, unlike this place where you with a quick look can see 30 topics on the same page. And no annoying pop-ups or recommendations.

Boards like the DVDizzy forum is a dying breed, and it makes me a little worried.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:53 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

It is sad.

I learned about Ultimate Disney through IMDb. As a kid, I'd scour the message boards for my favorite Disney movies, and somebody somewhere mentioned Ultimate Disney. That was 2004. I would have been 8 or 9 years old. I was amazed that this website had the cover artwork for Disney movies so early! I was never hugely active on IMDb, but even until today, I did like following the Oscar race through the Movie Awards board.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:51 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

And why are they doing that, may I ask? :?

UmbrellaFish, you're much younger than I thought. :)

Remember this? :mischief:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:05 pm 
Collector's Edition

Yes, it is sad, especially since nobody can replace it. That will only happen if a similar board is created by someone else. So much will be lost, with posts going back almost two decades. Imdb is even older than WWW.

Why are they doing it? Six months ago Col Needham posted this on imdb:

Quote:
The message boards are not a core function of IMDb. IMDb has over 250 million users per month and only the tiniest fraction of those visit the boards and even fewer post on the boards. The boards therefore make up an insignificant percentage of overall IMDb page views. It is difficult to specifically sell advertising against message board content for obvious reasons so the only ads which run there are low price run-of-site banners at the top/bottom of a subset of boards pages where we would typically only earn revenue if a customer clicks-through and signs up for whatever is being advertised. On the other hand, managing the boards and operating the technology behind them is disproportionately costly since the board systems are so old. While we do not comment in detail on specific aspects of IMDb's business, it is easy to draw the obvious conclusion behind the financial cost vs. benefit of the boards system.

From a traffic, resources and expenses perspective IMDb would be much better off without boards. There are some community benefits though and boards without a significant troll population flourish with interesting discussions and genuine community which is why we keep them around. Due to technology limitations we have to enforce an expiry policy on most boards so much of the discussion is temporary and therefore valuable content is often lost to keep the system operational. We are always looking at better ways to preserve this type of content and we have some thoughts on providing better mechanisms to transfer useful boards content into the permanent parts of the database.

(https://getsatisfaction.com/imdb/topics ... lain-to-me)

And now this is the message that has been posted on the boards: http://akas.imdb.com/board/announcement

As mentioned, one can only hope the same thing doesn't happen here. But trolls seems be a non-existing problem on these boards.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:58 pm 
Limited Edition

I know Im so bummed about it. It was a really good place to look for discussions on the most obscure of films/older films as well as less popular tv shows. Also it was set up so each film/tv series had its own forum so you could ask specific question about anything. I mostly lurked there these days but it was always useful for me. I didnt know boards like this were becoming rarer. Apart from this board I also like ComicBookResource forums.

Ps I hate Facebook and Twitter! I do not have accounts for either. The only current style social media site Im actually a member of is tumblr but I use it more for art/graphics/photos/gifs/videos than discussion.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:46 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Jules wrote:
And why are they doing that, may I ask? :?

UmbrellaFish, you're much younger than I thought. :)

Remember this? :mischief:

Oh gosh! What a blast from the past! I'm still surprised I was included in your series. It's a shame forums aren't as active as they were back then, isn't it? But everything's on FB and Twitter now. I read Reddit a lot, too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:12 pm 
Gold Collection

Was I angry when I heard about that decision. And I'm usually a calm person. :evil:
I used to look up personal opinions and intriguing interpretations of films on those boards.

I'm glad we still have this forum for Disney related discussions. For any other films an alternative has yet to be found. I'll be trying out TMDbs renewed discussion section. Hopefully more will follow. At the moment it's pretty quiet there. In general I find TMDb to be much more sympathetic than IMDB since it's non-commercial. Amazon's ownership over IMDb could have been one reason for the shutdown. They probably don't see any commercial benefit in maintaining the message boards.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:40 pm 
Collector's Edition

unprincess wrote:
I know Im so bummed about it. It was a really good place to look for discussions on the most obscure of films/older films as well as less popular tv shows. Also it was set up so each film/tv series had its own forum so you could ask specific question about anything. I mostly lurked there these days but it was always useful for me. I didnt know boards like this were becoming rarer. Apart from this board I also like ComicBookResource forums.

Ps I hate Facebook and Twitter! I do not have accounts for either. The only current style social media site Im actually a member of is tumblr but I use it more for art/graphics/photos/gifs/videos than discussion.

I doubt there will ever be a place like it ever again. A single account and you had access to all the genres and obscure titles.

As for boards like this getting rarer, they really were more numerous some years ago. Comments sections are going away too: https://www.wired.com/2015/10/brief-his ... -timeline/ (and old school chatting rooms, but I haven't visited those in ages).

Can't understand why anyone would prefer social media over traditional boards when it comes to discussions. Instagram and such are great for sharing pictures, but not for conversations.

Will Barks wrote:
Was I angry when I heard about that decision. And I'm usually a calm person. I used to look up personal opinions and intriguing interpretations of films on those boards.

I'm glad we still have this forum for Disney related discussions. For any other films an alternative has yet to be found. I'll be trying out TMDbs renewed discussion section. Hopefully more will follow. At the moment it's pretty quiet there. In general I find TMDb to be much more sympathetic than IMDB since it's non-commercial. Amazon's ownership over IMDb could have been one reason for the shutdown. They probably don't see any commercial benefit in maintaining the message boards.

Yes, amongst other things, there are always movies which people can share information about or explain the story if someone didn't quite get it. Now we will never be able to visit for instance the A Wrinkle in Time board when the movie is released.

I don't think trolls was the main reason. Because the old website will be replaced by a new version practically built from scratch later this year, the board went through what they would keep and what they could do without. Still, once a website becomes "common property" and "everybody" becomes aware of it and decides to become a member, it is usually infected with trolls. Keeping boards a little more personal, like this one, prevents that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:54 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Well, for me it's not such a personal loss, due to my decreasing interest of even discussing there anymore, also due to the fact that the majority of Imdb users are either obnoxious fanboys, fighters and brainless nimrods in general (yeah, I know it's a hash statement, but it's a true one). But instead of disabling the entire message board system, why not having the moderators change their policy and actually exclude the worst trolls? Because yeah, I've seen a couple of those during my lifetime on Imdb and they can be truly demented. It would've been a more satisfying solution if they actually went against their policy, instead of taking a drastic one!

While that being said, I did enjoy being a member their when the site was brand new to me. So it's not as I'm dismissing the boards completely.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:59 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

In case you didn't know, folks, some of the discussions have been carried over to https://moviechat.org/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:12 pm 
Limited Edition

oh wow neat! thanks for the link! I love that its an exact copy of the IMDB format!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:20 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

unprincess wrote:
oh wow neat! thanks for the link! I love that its an exact copy of the IMDB format!

Image ;)