Pocahontas Blu-ray (2012)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

DisneyJedi wrote:
Disney Live On wrote: Also glad to see the promise of all new bonus material despite both movies sharing a disc. :D
Wait, WHAT?!?!?! :shock:
Watch the trailer

Only 18 more days til this comes out here :D
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Victurtle wrote:
DisneyJedi wrote: Wait, WHAT?!?!?! :shock:
Watch the trailer

Plus, as noted on Page 12 by Sotiris and Jäger Rose...
Sotiris wrote:Therefore, so far we have:

A.
00:28:00:01 THE MAKING OF POCAHONTAS

00:00:16:04 INTRODUCTION TO EARLY PRESENTATION REEL

00:03:25:12 EARLY PRESENTATION REEL

00:03:25:13 EARLY PRESENTATION REEL WITH AUDIO COMMENTARY

00:00:32:01 INTRODUCTION TO STORYBOARD TO FILM COMPARISON

00:00:58:04 STORYBOARD TO FILM COMPARISON

00:00:58:01 STORYBOARD TO FILM COMPARISON W/ AUDIO COMMENTARY

00:07:03:19 THE MUSIC OF POCAHONTAS

00:04:32:05 IF I NEVER KNEW YOU (ADDED BACK)

00:01:25:04 BELOW THE DECK AFTER THOMAS' RESCUE

00:01:56:11 DANCING TO THE WEDDING DRUM

00:01:56:06 DANCING TO THE WEDDING DRUM W/ AUDIO COMMENTARY)

00:00:58:15 TRANSITION TO JUST AROUND THE RIVER BEND

00:00:52:01 POCAHONTAS DRESSES AS AN ENGLISH WOMAN

00:00:35:16 WIGGINS GETS MUD THROWN AT HIM

00:03:58:10 IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RIVER

00:03:58:10 IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RIVER W/ AUDIO COMMENTARY)

00:01:03:17 JOHN SMITH ESCAPES

00:00:35:02 JUST AROUND THE RIVER BEND REPRISE)

00:03:19:24 THREE MISC. SCENES

00:03:31:04 THEATRICAL TRAILER #1

00:02:50:15 THEATRICAL TRAILER #2

00:03:44:01 THE PREMIERE IN CENTRAL PARK

00:03:34:14 POCAHONTAS - MULTI-LANGUAGE CLIP REEL

00:04:20:05 CREATING POCAHONTAS W/ GLEN KEANE

00:02:14:09 CREATING JOHN SMITH

00:00:48:16 CREATING RATCLIFFE

00:00:18:04 RATCLIFFE ANIMATION TESTS

00:02:07:13 CREATING GRANDMOTHER WILLOW
B.
00:00:20:09 GRANDMOTHER WILLOW ANIMATION TEST

00:00:29:06 DELETED CHARACTER REDFEATHER ANIMATION TEST

00:01:41:01 CREATING MEEKO

00:00:28:18 MEEKO ANIMATION TEST

00:00:55:04 CREATING FLIT

00:00:15:00 FLIT ANIMATION TEST

00:00:53:02 CREATING PERCY

00:00:22:16 THOMAS ANIMATION TEST

00:00:15:00 KEKATA ANIMATION TEST

00:02:12:11 ART DESIGN, LAYOUTS & BACKGROUNDS

00:00:51:00 PRODUCTION PROGRESSION INTRO

00:00:36:19 PRODUCTION PROGRESSION STORY REEL

00:00:36:18 PRODUCTION PROGRESSION ROUGH ANIMATION

00:00:36:18 CLEAN-UP ANIMAITION

00:00:36:19 FINAL COLOR
C.
00:11:18:08 DRAWING INSPIRATION: THE LOST STORY OF HIAWATHA

00:04:36:09 DELETED SONG

00:04:36:10 DELETED SONG WITH AUDIO COMMENTARY
D.
00:04:11:17 COLOURS OF THE WIND - PERFORMED BY VANESSA WILLIAMS
E.
00:03:14:00 SING-A-LONG SONGS - COLOURS OF THE WIND

00:02:08:20 SING-A-LONG SONGS - JUST AROUND THE RIVER BEND
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

Disney Live On wrote: It wasn't until I was 18 and I got the DVD with If I Never Knew You included in the film that I came to see Pocohantas as a classic.
I am probably a little older than some of you. I was 21 when Pocahontas was released and while I didn't think it was a bad film, I wasn't very engaged in the story.

I recently saw the 10th Anniversary edition with "If I Never Knew You" and a few other scenes added to it. Looking up the history, it looks like these were unfinished sequences that were part of the test screenings but were cut in response to audience feedback. Then they were finished and reinserted into the 10th Anniversary edition (if someone knows differently, please correct me!).

In any event, I think cutting them was a big mistake because for me, they made the love angle between Pocahontas and Smith believable. I actually found myself caring about them and them being together. I was sad when he went back to England.

Previously, the whole relationship just seemed wooden and I was left feeling like "I should be sad, but I just don't really feel that sad."

BTW, would love to (lawfully) get my hands on the mp3 of the restored "If I Never Knew You". Does anyone know if it's been officially released anywhere?
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I'm still dissapointed that both movies will be in the same disc and that this editon will apparently will lack the original audio commentary from the Laserdisc.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

The fact it says "Never Before Seen Bonus Feature" as in singular and not plural means that the only new extra we'll get is "Drawing Inspiration: The Lost Story of Hiawatha".

Talk about cheap. :roll: Pocahontas deserved a better treatment.
Last edited by Sotiris on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

I don't really see a problem. The bbfc rated a lot of good bonus features. I don't have a problem, that most of them are old. Especially since the only DVDs which were released in Germany (the one from 1999 and the Musical Masterpiece Edition) were pretty much barebones.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Scamander wrote:and here is the trailer for all countries who get Pocahontas and Pocahontas II as seperated releases. It's in greek but in much better quality. Strange that it hasn't been posted already by anyone- it's up for 2 month. :shock:

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9jGPRSAGyow" frameborder="0"></iframe>
it was uploaded 2 months ago, but it must have been private... I subscribed to this channel a little while ago and it wasn't there. thanks for sharing! :)
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Scamander wrote:I don't really see a problem. The bbfc rated a lot of good bonus features. I don't have a problem, that most of them are old. Especially since the only DVDs which were released in Germany (the one from 1999 and the Musical Masterpiece Edition) were pretty much barebones.
Fair enough, but it will miss some of the bonus features from the Laserdisc edition. Like the original audio commentary and not the new one which appeared on the 10th Anniversary dvd.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote: Talk about cheap. :roll: Pocahontas deserved a better treatment.
Agreed. While it is a flawed film and I understand why people dislike it, I personally thought it deserved a better treatment. So I don't think I will buy it. I'll stick to my DVD.
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

Has anyone actually seen the sequel is it *that* bad? I personally am still going to pick up the release, and just watch the first film.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

CampbellzSoup wrote:Has anyone actually seen the sequel is it *that* bad? I personally am still going to pick up the release, and just watch the first film.
I use to own it on VHS, so it's been a while, but I wouldn't say it's as awful as Hunchback 2 or Fox & the Hound 2. But it's animation isn't too much better than those, and the pacing just drrrrraaaags. I think it's more boring than "bad" per say. I think I would be ok with the dip in animation quality, knowing it's time and budget were low, if they at least kept the story and characters entertaining, like in the Aladdin sequels.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I think it's more boring than "bad" per say.
You're allowed to have your opinion, but I have to disagree. While I'm not crazy about the sequel, I wouldn't describe it as "boring". It does have more action and suspense than the first movie. While it doesn't mean that I prefer the sequel, I will still say the sequel had more suspension.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Really, even though I can never forgive Disney for ruining the John Smith/Pocahontas romance with the sequel's existence, I guess I'll have to deal with it. Besides, I want to get the movie on Blu-ray, regardless of the stupid sequel. :P
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

CampbellzSoup wrote:Has anyone actually seen the sequel is it *that* bad? I personally am still going to pick up the release, and just watch the first film.
I've seen it. It is not as bad as people on this thread make it out to be.

It's much, much worse.

You see, here's the deal. What was the original film about? It was about Pocahontas and John Smith's never-ending love for each other. Why does that ending get to you every time and give you the chills? Because here are two people who found the love of their life and had to fight their own families and friends to be together, yet they have to part and never see each other again. John Smith even sacrificied himself to save the father of the girl he loved and got shot. Consider the impact of that all. And re-imagine that iconic moment where Pocahontas is standing on that cliff and waves goodbye to John one last time.

And then the sequel is about Poky happily going to London and seeing John Smith again!!! And if that's not worse enough, then she abandons him (the love of her life!) for one John Rolfe, a bland and dull character whom we don't care about and the film turns into a clichéd soap-opera about a love triangle.

And don't start with 'historical accuracy', because that went out the window the moment a tree starter talking in the first film.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Really, I kind of want to bitchslap Michael Eisner because, unless I'm totally wrong, if he hadn't thought of the straight-to-video sequels, the original Pocahontas wouldn't have been ruined.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Goliath wrote:And if that's not worse enough, then she abandons him (the love of her life!) for one John Rolfe, a bland and dull character whom we don't care about and the film turns into a clichéd soap-opera about a love triangle.
In the context of the sequel, it's not Pocahontas who betrays Smith but it's Smith who appears to be a selfish jerk who does not care enough about her. I know the result is the same (shattering the theme of ever-lasting love of the original) but I just wanted to point this out.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Sotiris wrote:In the context of the sequel, it's not Pocahontas who betrays Smith but it's Smith who appears to be a selfish jerk who does not care enough about her. I know the result is the same (shattering the theme of ever-lasting love of the original) but I just wanted to point this out.
Oh, okay, thanks. See, I didn't care enough to remember that. But that just goes to show that you can leave it to Disney to ruin even their most mature love couple.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Sotiris wrote:
Goliath wrote:And if that's not worse enough, then she abandons him (the love of her life!) for one John Rolfe, a bland and dull character whom we don't care about and the film turns into a clichéd soap-opera about a love triangle.
In the context of the sequel, it's not Pocahontas who betrays Smith but it's Smith who appears to be a selfish jerk who does not care enough about her. I know the result is the same (shattering the theme of ever-lasting love of the original) but I just wanted to point this out.
Well, I don't know whether or not that would be considered out of character of John. Either way, way to fuck up everything, Disney...
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

Apparently when Pocahontas/Rebecca when to England she was pissed off at John Smith. So perhaps he was a jerk from her pov.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Wonderlicious wrote: Plus, as noted on Page 12 by Sotiris and Jäger Rose...
Sotiris wrote:Therefore, so far we have:

A. B.
C. D. E.
DisneyFan09 wrote:I'm still dissapointed that both movies will be in the same disc and that this editon will apparently will lack the original audio commentary from the Laserdisc.
Ok, I'm trying to get up to speed here. Do we know for a fact that both the animated classic and the DTV film will be on the same disc here? Are we really getting all of these extras, or is this another "Virtual Vault" thing? Or is all of this speculation? Are there any official sources here for any of this past the trailers and ad in the "Lady and the Tramp" booklet letting us know it's coming out?
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney