Pocahontas Blu-ray (2012)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Live On
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Disney Live On »

On the fan front I think Disney just lost a lot of customers.

I am glad I didnt run out and buy my copy yesterday (which is only because I didnt think it would be available till today in Australia) because now I know If I Never Knew You is omitted from the film I dont want to upgrade.

That song made the movie for me and without it Im just not interested.

Do let me know if the Music of Pocohantas feature is any good as I am a music teacher and could use it if it is a new feature (not on the 10th anniversary) and is a decent length. If thats the case I may pick this one up when it goes on special in a few months time.
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

Wow.

I was actually glad they removed the song. I can't stand it, imo Gibsons singing is terribly weak, lyrics almost as cringe-worthy as the digging song and the animation flashbacks look sooooo tacky with the white fade borders.

Perhaps they should've offered it as an alternative viewing method, but I don't feel they should offer them without explaining the differences.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

This release is garbage. It drops the option of the extra song added to the film, it drops a lot of great extras from the 2 disc DVD and it sticks us with the less then stellar direct to video sequel. As far as I'm concerned, it's like it won't actually be released (in the US) on Blu-ray after all. I'm sticking with my 2 disc DVD set!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

The movie is absolutely stunning in HD. I was somewhat frustrated by DVDs knowing there was all this beautiful art contrained by compression and blur. Of course, none of that is present in the BD release.

I really don't get people who complain about the loss of bonus features on editions they already own. Just buy the BD for the HD presentation, and watch the bonus features from your DVD.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Ok... so let´s make this clear.

Disney re-releases Pocahontas....On Blu Ray... (probably the last time on a physical format)...Meaning that Blu Ray has the capacity to include every extras available PLUS new ones, and they ended up TAKING OFF already released extras?

If they won´t add new extras, how hard could it be to just port the ones from the DVD?

Don´t get it AT ALL!

Besides, Disney films are not Star Wars films. Meaning, that George Lucas re-releases the movies all the time, changing things in them and their fans (although always complaining) rush to buy them each and every time.

...Disney has not this kind of fan base. There are few people like us out there. For the most part, the rest of the world are just parents that buy them for their kids and will just pick the first thing they see.

So, if Disney is planning to re-release them in the future, adding stuff, thinking people will buy the movies each and every time their strategy will explode in their faces.
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

The problem is though is that Disney doesn't constantly re-release movies and expect people whom already own the movie to buy them. If that were true, don't you think they would release their bigger movies, those expected to sell more (the PEs/DEs line), more than once per format? The reason why their smaller, less popular movies get multiple releases on the one format is so they can re-advertise the film as a new release to try catch those whom didn't buy the film on previous occasions. Not because they believe there is a real market for buying multiple copies of Oliver and Company.

Disney's plan won't 'explode in their faces' because of fan-angering, because what you suggest isn't their plan at all. They've clearly chosen to no longer to cater for fans by not offering collector's editions as they have done in the past. And it's not really a fatal decision, because collector's would be interested in buying the BD release for the HD presentation, and would probably either 1) have the older collector's edition with bonus features or 2) want to buy the older collectoror's edition for their collection anyway.

Yes, it is odd they they port over some old features, but not all of them when they could have. But there is a difference between Disney actively making a choice not to cater for collectors, and Disney promising something, and failing (Aristocats 2-Disc).
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

Victurtle wrote: I really don't get people who complain about the loss of bonus features on editions they already own. Just buy the BD for the HD presentation, and watch the bonus features from your DVD.
Well, there are some (like me) who selled or donated all their DVD stuff to start all over again. I figured out, that I wouldn't watch a DVD anyway, now that I'm used to Blu-ray. That was a long time ago, when I thought I wouldn't miss on much bonus features-wise.

Anyway- let's not forget a month or so ago the bbfc rated almost all bonus features from the previous 2-disc-release. They did for a reason, so I don't believe Disney will rip ALL of us off. Maybe it's still on the standalone-releases (so everyone could import) or they use the Virtual Vault-thing again on some markets.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

in spain probably we will get a different edition than the australian edition, They will put the 2 movies in 2 diferent discs:
http://www.mubis.es/titulos/pocahontas- ... ck-blu-ray
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I will be extremely disappointed if the extended version is not available on Blu-ray and only includes the song as a bonus feature, as I'd like to be able to watch it all continuously in HD.

If Disney screws up the US release in this way I most likely won't buy it. I don't really care enough about bonus features or that they're including the sequel, but I want that extended cut.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

enigmawing wrote:I will be extremely disappointed if the extended version is not available on Blu-ray and only includes the song as a bonus feature, as I'd like to be able to watch it all continuously in HD.

If Disney screws up the US release in this way I most likely won't buy it. I don't really care enough about bonus features or that they're including the sequel, but I want that extended cut.
well maybe USA will get a different edition than the australian edition no?
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Thumper_93 wrote:well maybe USA will get a different edition than the australian edition no?
I'm crossing my fingers and writing Buena Vista a letter.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

hahaha i can't wait to for this edition, i love pocahontas!, the spanish edition will be release in may
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Victurtle wrote: I really don't get people who complain about the loss of bonus features on editions they already own. Just buy the BD for the HD presentation, and watch the bonus features from your DVD.
Fair enough, but I never owned the Pocahontas Laserdisc or a Laserdisc in the first place. And that one had many interesting bonus features (like an audio commentary with the directos, Alan Menken, Stephen Scwartz, screenwriter and ect) which never was improted on the regular DVD. That's why its a pity that Disney didn't bother to import it on the Blu ray release.

Sorry if I'm bitching, but I just wanted to explain how things are.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

enigmawing wrote:
Thumper_93 wrote:well maybe USA will get a different edition than the australian edition no?
I'm crossing my fingers and writing Buena Vista a letter.
Ditto
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

The trailers might be different, but I think it will be the same disc. I'm really expecting this release to be similar to last years The Fox and the Hound: 2 Movie Collection.

I'm still really excited for this release. I haven't owned this movie on any format.
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

It's a beautiful song but the intercut flashbacks throughout is beyond cheap. I can't believe people here weren't bothered by it.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

rodis wrote:It's a beautiful song but the intercut flashbacks throughout is beyond cheap. I can't believe people here weren't bothered by it.
Should they have given us more shots of them singing in the tent?
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

Actually, the flashback footage did bother me a little at first, but I'm forgiving of it, seeing as the song was added back into the film for dvd. I would actually prefer some fresh animation of them singing in the tent throughout the whole thing, as it seem a little silly to be having a flashback to what feels like the day before.

But still, the song is one of my favorites and really catapults the drama WAY above where it was in the theatrical edition. I still think it was one of the stupidest editing decisions ever done for any movie, taking the song out.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Honestly, I think the number of tent shots was already pushing it. There's only so much you can do with two animated characters singing a ballad when they're confined like that.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

DancingCrab wrote:Actually, the flashback footage did bother me a little at first, but I'm forgiving of it, seeing as the song was added back into the film for DVD. I would actually prefer some fresh animation of them singing in the tent throughout the whole thing, as it seem a little silly to be having a flashback to what feels like the day before.
I feel the same way. And if they didn't want to have more tent scenes, they should have found a better way to go around that than those lame flashbacks.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage