Pocahontas Blu-ray (2012)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

SWillie! wrote:Well, to give an honest rebuttal from Disney's point of view here - in literally every other circumstance, fans complain to no end whenever the absolute original theatrical cut is not presented. I agree, it should be an option. But I'm sure that's the reasoning.
I completely understand their standpoint from this angle. In fact, I'm sure they probably received a back-lash from "Morning Report"'s inclusion on Lion King's PE. I mean, I have not met a single person who has they actually preferred the song's inclusion.

Maybe it's just my opinion, but I think that only someone who has never seen the film before would assume that it'd be better off without "If I Never Knew You".
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

singerguy04 wrote:
I completely understand their standpoint from this angle. In fact, I'm sure they probably received a back-lash from "Morning Report"'s inclusion on Lion King's PE. I mean, I have not met a single person who has they actually preferred the song's inclusion.

Maybe it's just my opinion, but I think that only someone who has never seen the film before would assume that it'd be better off without "If I Never Knew You".
I wonder if they thought it was the song itself's fault? Because it's a catchy ditty but has no place in the film and feels awkward shoved in. In the Broadway show it can kill two minutes while having a bit of fun and was written in a way TO BE THERE, however a few years ago I hear they cut it from the show as well so they must think people just don't like the number in any way which is just not true.

-Skyler
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Does anyone else think its a little weird that John Smith is not on the cover? He has as much screentime as Pocahontas! Maybe Disney is trying to step away from Mel Gibson's bad rep?
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

Gibson's bad rep as a current Hollywood crazy would be my guess as to why Smith is excluded in the marketing....but it's just his voice, so I don't see what they're worried about. Smith looks nothing like Gibson. (then again, Disney marketing isn't exactly run by intelligence at the moment, so it's not surprising)
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

JiminyCrick91 wrote:In the Broadway show it can kill two minutes while having a bit of fun and was written in a way TO BE THERE, however a few years ago I hear they cut it from the show as well so they must think people just don't like the number in any way which is just not true.
"Morning Report," like "Chow Down," wasn't cut recently for any reason other than the corn syrup-filled sacks of goo you refer to as "children" can't sit still for long periods of time, and the show needed some internal cuts thusly.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

SpringHeelJack wrote:
JiminyCrick91 wrote:In the Broadway show it can kill two minutes while having a bit of fun and was written in a way TO BE THERE, however a few years ago I hear they cut it from the show as well so they must think people just don't like the number in any way which is just not true.
"Morning Report," like "Chow Down," wasn't cut recently for any reason other than the corn syrup-filled sacks of goo you refer to as "children" can't sit still for long periods of time, and the show needed some internal cuts thusly.
I didn't know that these were cut from the show at all. Either way, they both were/are my least favorite numbers in the production anyway so I'm not heartbroken in the least.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Marce82 wrote:Does anyone else think its a little weird that John Smith is not on the cover? He has as much screentime as Pocahontas! Maybe Disney is trying to step away from Mel Gibson's bad rep?
I think its probably because that he doesn't end up with Pocahontas in the second movie, since John Rolfe is already on the cover. That's why.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

There is something weird going on with the release date. The Pocahontas official Facebook page says it will be released on August 21 while the release calendar on the official Disney DVD website says it will be released on August 07. Well, which one is it? :?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:There is something weird going on with the release date. The Pocahontas official Facebook page says it will be released on August 21 while the release calendar on the official Disney DVD website says it will be released on August 07. Well, which one is it? :?
That's really weird...

According to the trailer, the blu ray will have never-before-seen bonus features. I wonder what it would be.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:There is something weird going on with the release date. The Pocahontas official Facebook page says it will be released on August 21 while the release calendar on the official Disney DVD website says it will be released on August 07. Well, which one is it? :?
That's really weird...

According to the trailer, the blu ray will have never-before-seen bonus features. I wonder what it would be.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

DisneyFan09 wrote:According to the trailer, the blu ray will have never-before-seen bonus features. I wonder what it would be.
Drawing Inspiration: The Lost Story of Hiawatha (HD)
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyFan09 wrote:According to the trailer, the Blu-ray will have never-before-seen bonus features. I wonder what it would be.
It's bonus feature. Singular. Not features. Yes, Disney went all out on extras again. :roll: Lnds500 answered you. That's the one.

According to amazon.com, Pocahontas will be released on August 21.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Yes...its one single new feature... but in all fairness, I was extremely satisfied with the bonus features of the 10th anniversary DVD. I didn't feel there was much to expand from that...

That being said... is it just me or the covers of blu rays are getting better? There are still a lot of floating heads, but at least they are on model. Pocahontas, Rescuers and Aristocats....all very much on model.
Am I crazy here?
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:
DisneyFan09 wrote:According to the trailer, the Blu-ray will have never-before-seen bonus features. I wonder what it would be.
It's bonus feature. Singular. Not features. Yes, Disney went all out on extras again. :roll: Lnds500 answered you. That's the one.
Really? You've gotta be kidding me! That's the only bonus feature on the Blu-ray edition??
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Sotiris wrote: It's bonus feature. Singular. Not features. Yes, Disney went all out on extras again. :roll: Lnds500 answered you. That's the one.
Really? You've gotta be kidding me! That's the only bonus feature on the Blu-ray edition??
NO! the "never-before-seen bonus features" are in reality, just ONE feature. The old features from the DVDs are (for the most part) ported over. The films have plenty of extras
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Marce82 wrote:Yes...its one single new feature... but in all fairness, I was extremely satisfied with the bonus features of the 10th anniversary DVD. I didn't feel there was much to expand from that...
The 10th anniversary DVD still missed a few supplements from the Laserdisc, like the original audio commentary (not the one with the If I Never Knew You), a few deleted scenes and the commentaries which followed the deleted scenes. Not to mention an early version of Colors of the Wind.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

NO! the "never-before-seen bonus features" are in reality, just ONE feature. The old features from the DVDs are (for the most part) ported over. The films have plenty of extras
OK, thanks. But do you know if the film will have the original audio commentary from the 1995 laserdisc? (I'm not talking about the re-release audio commentary, but the one where the directors, the art director, Alan Menken, Stephen Scwhartz and ect are talking)
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
OK, thanks. But do you know if the film will have the original audio commentary from the 1995 laserdisc? (I'm not talking about the re-release audio commentary, but the one where the directors, the art director, Alan Menken, Stephen Scwhartz and ect are talking)
No, I don't know about that. Were there substantial differences between the two?
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Lnds500 wrote:
DisneyFan09 wrote: OK, thanks. But do you know if the film will have the original audio commentary from the 1995 laserdisc? (I'm not talking about the re-release audio commentary, but the one where the directors, the art director, Alan Menken, Stephen Scwhartz and ect are talking)
No, I don't know about that. Were there substantial differences between the two?
The audio commentary from the 10th Anniversary dvd only had the directors and the producer talking and the commentary itself was on the Special Edition with "If I Never Knew You".
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Oh, Disneyfan... I know about the original commentary! And i was so pissed off when I found out about it!
Why couldnt have they included that in the 10th anniversary as well? It was so close to being a perfect release (to my taste)...
Well, except for the audio synch issue...