Pocahontas Blu-ray (2012)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

^Oh, sure. Blame Disney's "downfall" on one of their best movies.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

DisneyJedi wrote:
Khonnor wrote:A year ago I bought The Musical Masterpiece Edition and was disappointed they changed a couple of lines in the movie, and especially during the song SAVAGES bothered me...
They changed some lines? Like what, for instance? Also, this wouldn't happen to be the same case for the 10th anniversary edition DVD, would it?
I'm pretty sure it was changed way back when it was first released on VHS, at least in the states. The original lines, like the "where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face" line in Aladdin, were heard in both the theatrical release and the original motion picture soundtrack, but each home video release has been altered:

Original line: Their whole disgusting race is like a curse
New line: Here's what you get when races are diverse

Original line: Dirty redskin devils
New line: Dirty shrieking devils
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

^Well, they're still intact on the soundtrack.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

RIPJoeRanft wrote:The movie that sent Disney Animation to the shitter once again.
I may be a huge fanboy of Pocahontas, but this film didn't do that at all really. I hate how just because this film didn't perform as well as The Lion King, its considered a failure. It's like saying Pinocchio-Cinderella were all flops because Pinocchio didn't perform as well or better than Snow White. Disney didn't start actually performing badly until the 2000's.
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

I loved Pocahontas and her tribe but I wish they give John Smith and the other english men a bit more character!
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

ooh it's amazing!! i love pocahontas
Will Barks
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Will Barks »

enigmawing wrote: I'm pretty sure it was changed way back when it was first released on VHS, at least in the states. The original lines, like the "where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face" line in Aladdin, were heard in both the theatrical release and the original motion picture soundtrack, but each home video release has been altered:

Original line: Their whole disgusting race is like a curse
New line: Here's what you get when races are diverse

Original line: Dirty redskin devils
New line: Dirty shrieking devils
There's also:
Original line: Let's go kill a few man
New line: Let's go get a few man

I remember reading somewhere (maybe an older thread?) that these changes were made shortly before the theatrical release. But I can't find this source right now.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Will Barks wrote:There's also:
Original line: Let's go kill a few man
New line: Let's go get a few man

I remember reading somewhere (maybe an older thread?) that these changes were made shortly before the theatrical release. But I can't find this source right now.
Thanks, I always forget about that one. :)

Looks like you're right about the change being made before the theatrical release. It's been a few years and my memory from that time is pretty hazy; I did listen to the soundtrack a lot and remember that I was annoyed with the changes when watching the movie.

Here's the soundtrack version merged with the video for those that are curious:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pImdvmIw0Ec?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pImdvmIw0Ec?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Great news! Love Pocahontas, it's among my top 10 Disney movies. Now I'm hoping for Aladdin, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan and Tarzan...
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

DisneyJedi wrote:^Oh, sure. Blame Disney's "downfall" on one of their best movies.
more like "Oh sure, blame Disney's downfall on any movie.
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

I love Pocahontas and am looking forward to this release but not as much as I could have been because there's already a really good HD version available online. Same with Aladdin. They're two of my favorite films but blu-ray-like versions already exist which kind of ruins my anticipation. Is it going to look any different anyway? (Aside from some light color changes)
Will Barks
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Will Barks »

I just hope they don't go the Lion King way and leave out "If I Never Knew You". But I think that won't happen, since this song is more part of the original Pocahontas than "Morning Report" was to Lion King.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Will Barks wrote:I just hope they don't go the Lion King way and leave out "If I Never Knew You". But I think that won't happen, since this song is more part of the original Pocahontas than "Morning Report" was to Lion King.
I only watch the special edition of the film because If I Never Knew You is really quite beautiful. I think it made the film stronger and I'm glad they included it on the 10th Anniversary Edition DVD. I really hope they include it on this Blu-ray edition, too.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

Yeah, I am holding onto my 2 disc DVD set, seeing as it was a near perfect release of Pocahontas. I'll buy the blu for the HD, but I fear most of the features won't be transported over, or worse will be made only available thru the virtual vault.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

I dunno, "Dumbo" and "Alice in Wonderland" both retained the bulk of their previous special features sans the Virtual Vault crap, so it seems possible to me that "Pocahontas" will get a similar treatment. It seems almost like they're focusing on the Diamonds / Fantasias for the VV now.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

I'm pretty sure they will keep if I never knew you. It is too good to just leave out. I think they will recycle a lot of the 10th anniversary stuff though :/

@SpringHeelJack: I was wondering where that crying girl from your previous avatar was from? :)
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Christopher_TCUIH wrote:@SpringHeelJack: I was wondering where that crying girl from your previous avatar was from? :)
That was Lea Michele from "Glee" showing off her acting chops or something.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

Oh haha I was way off. I was thinking one of the Friday the 13th sequels. Thanks :)
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

I was quite pleased with the 10 Aniv. set, felt more like a platinum release at the time. let's not forget we'll see Pocahontas 2 released some months after this release. Most likely I'm gon'na skip the sequel, wasn't too thrilled with it.
abenotgabe
Gold Classic Collection

Post by abenotgabe »

Hopefully this gets an early 2012 release, like AIW: 60th Anni. I think it came out the first week of February. I never owned Pocahontas on DVD, so I am very eager to get this, and specially in HD.