Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2011

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

estefan wrote:
Tangled wrote:And does The Adventures of Tintin count as a nominee?
Tintin is motion-capture, which the Academy recently ruled as not being a form of animation. However, Steven Spielberg still plans on submitting it for Best Animated Feature. So, we'll see it if they rule it eligible. I don't think they will, but we'll see.
Which also now discounts Happy Feet Two even though the first got the Oscar for it.

-Skyler
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

Tangled wrote:
KubrickFan wrote: Usually there are so few animated features made that they don't have a choice. Or do you think that Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, Shark Tale, Shrek 2, Monster House and Bolt deserved to be nominated?
Or they could just say, "To heck with it! It's Pixar!"

They seem to love nominating at least one Dreamworks movie and one Pixar movie. They also throw a Disney movie in the mix usually (not last year, because the Illusionist kicked out Tangled : /).

And I have seen Cars 2 and would admit it's better than the first Cars IMO.
Yeah, but that's probably because both DreamWorks and Pixar have released a movie every year. It doesn't really matter who wins, but having Arthur Christmas and Winnie the Pooh nominated would be nice.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

I've seen all the American potential nominees so far. Here's what I think of them.

Winnie the Pooh - surprisingly funny I could see this being nominated. Winning not so much.

Rio - amazing visuals but a really dumb script, I had no idea this was going to be a musical when I watched it. The songs were lousy.

Rango - dark interesting film, got predictable at times, but great soundtrack. Probably the one most likely to win

Kung Fu Panda 2 - the one I really want to win. Sorry Disney fans. I thought on a story and emotional level, this one was the best of the bunch. I'm a fan of the franchise if you can't tell.

Cars 2 - LOL, not a chance :lol:
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

toonaspie wrote: Kung Fu Panda 2 - the one I really want to win. Sorry Disney fans. I thought on a story and emotional level, this one was the best of the bunch.
Don't worry. I feel the same way. :wink:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Great news everyone!!

Czech Drama May Bump Oscar Animated-Feature Category to 5 Nominees
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/ ... 1820111013
For only the third time in the category's 10-year history, Oscar's Best Animated Feature race may have a full slate of five nominees. And if it does, it could thank a Czechoslovokian film that crept in via the Best Foreign-Language film category. The animated film "Alois Nebel" is the Czech Republic’s official entry in the Best Foreign-Language Oscar race, it was announced today.

A representative for the Czech Republic's entry, "Alois Nebel," told TheWrap Wednesday that the filmmakers plan to enter the graphic-novel-based drama in the animation race as well as the foreign-language race. Its reps have been in touch with the Academy, and are currently working on the details of a seven-day qualifying run that will make the film eligible in the category. Details have yet to be completed, and "Alois Nebel" is not yet a guaranteed qualifier. (It uses the rotoscoping technique, which might trigger discussion within the branch.)

But if it does make the cut, and if the Short Films and Feature Animation Branch approves the entries of "The Adventures of Tintin," "Happy Feet Two" and "Mars Needs Moms," the number of qualifying films will reach 16, the number required to trigger a full five nominees. Filmmakers for those three films have been asked to tell the branch about their intent in using the motion-capture technique, which by itself is not deemed "animation" by the Academy.

But with Steven Spielberg directing "The Adventures of Tintin," and with "Happy Feet Two" being the sequel to a film that won the Animated Feature Oscar in 2006, most insiders in the category expect the films to be approved.

The Animated Feature category works on a sliding scale: It has three nominees if between eight and 12 films qualify, four if 13 to 15 films make the cut, and a full slate of five if 16 or more features are entered. (In previous years, there was no provision for four nominees; fewer than 16 entrants meant three nomination slots, while more than 16 meant five.)

The Best Animated Feature category was created in 2001, and has had three nominees every year except 2002 and 2009, when it had five. So far in 2011, eight films have qualified: "Gnomeo and Juliet," "Rango," "Rio" and "Hoodwinked Too" were released in the first four months of the year. The summer saw "Kung Fu Panda 2," "Cars 2," "Winnie the Pooh" and the animation/live-action hybrid "The Smurfs." For the remainder of the year, "Puss in Boots" is slated to be released in October, "Arthur Christmas" in November and "Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked" in December. The Spanish-language film "Chico and Rita" is also scheduled for a qualifying run, bringing the total to 12 before the three motion-capture titles, and before "Alois Nebel."

Entry forms are due in the Animated Feature category by November 1. The Academy typically announces the list of qualifying films in mid-November.

Update: According to Brad Brevet of Rope of Silicon, GKids has said it plans a qualifying run for the film "A Cat in Paris." which would add one more film to the list of qualifiers and make it even likelier to reach five nominees.

GKIDS Dances With 'Chico and Rita'
http://www.animationmagazine.net/featur ... -and-rita/
New York-based indie distributor GKIDS has acquired the U.S. distribution rights to Fernadno Trueba and Javier Mariscal’s acclaimed 2D animated feature Chico & Rita.

The film made its world premiere at Telluride Film Festival, was an official selection at Toronto International Film Festival, and has been released to wide acclaim in the UK, France, and Spain. It will be qualifying for the Oscars in the Best Animated Feature category with a Los Angeles qualifying run December 2011, followed by U.S. theatrical release in early 2012. The film will be released by GKIDS under the new Luma Films banner for adult animation.

Three 2D Toons Up for Euro Film Awards
http://www.animationmagazine.net/events ... lm-awards/
New York-based GKids, which distributed the Oscar-nominated The Secret of Kells two years ago, will also distribute Chico and Rita and A Cat in Paris in early 2012. Both films will get a limited Oscar-qualifying run later this year.

Singapore Picks Animated 'Tatsumi' as Oscar Title
http://www.animationmagazine.net/featur ... car-title/
Eric Khoo’s animated documentary about manga artist Yoshihiro Tatsumi has been selected as Singapore’s official entry in the foreign-language category at the 84th Academy Awards. Tatsumi, which is based on the 800-page manga A Drifting Life, received solid reviews at this year’s Cannes Film Festival, where it premiered in the Un Certain Regard section.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Steven Spielberg Says 'The Adventures Of Tintin' Is "85% Animation, 15% Live Action"
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... ve_action/
While there’s a live-action spirit to the film, the performance capture elements are a skeleton which the animators flesh out; the finished film is up to 85% animation.
Perhaps because of the publicity given to Serkis’ work on “Lord of the Rings” and “Rise of the Planet of the Apes,” there’s a certain belief among the audience that performance-capture works as a kind of digital make-up job, embellishing the actor’s performance, but essentially serving as a kind of rotoscoping. Whether that’s true of previous films is questionable, but it doesn’t seem to be the case here.

Spielberg believes that the process made him more comfortable than he might have been otherwise with a pure animation, saying “I really wanted to change the dynamics of my process. This technology gave me the opportunity to make my first animated movie and yet bring some of the conventional tools of my analogue process into a a complete digital experience. It was a really interesting combination of an analogue approach to a digital outcome.”

But this is no way to downplay the work of WETA‘s animators: the director claims that the film is “85 per cent animation to 15 per cent live action,” with each single frame of a performance by Bell, Serkis, Daniel Craig, Nick Frost, Simon Pegg or one of the other co-stars, being embellished by as much as five hours of animation per work. That’s not to mention Snowy, the hero’s trusty canine companion, who is an entirely CGI-creation, without any performance-capture references.
It seems that Hollywood changes its mind about mo-cap films whenever it suits them. The people behind Avatar and Rise of the Planet of the Apes tell us that it's not animation but live-action with merely 'digital makeup' applied so the actors involved can be qualified in the 'actors' categories at the Oscars while the same people now behind The Adventures of Tintin tell us that it's 85% animation so that the movie can qualify for the 'Best Animated Feature' category at the Oscars. :roll:
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

What?! How would that even COUNT as animation?!
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

Sotiris wrote:Steven Spielberg Says 'The Adventures Of Tintin' Is "85% Animation, 15% Live Action"
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... ve_action/
While there’s a live-action spirit to the film, the performance capture elements are a skeleton which the animators flesh out; the finished film is up to 85% animation.
Perhaps because of the publicity given to Serkis’ work on “Lord of the Rings” and “Rise of the Planet of the Apes,” there’s a certain belief among the audience that performance-capture works as a kind of digital make-up job, embellishing the actor’s performance, but essentially serving as a kind of rotoscoping. Whether that’s true of previous films is questionable, but it doesn’t seem to be the case here.

Spielberg believes that the process made him more comfortable than he might have been otherwise with a pure animation, saying “I really wanted to change the dynamics of my process. This technology gave me the opportunity to make my first animated movie and yet bring some of the conventional tools of my analogue process into a a complete digital experience. It was a really interesting combination of an analogue approach to a digital outcome.”

But this is no way to downplay the work of WETA‘s animators: the director claims that the film is “85 per cent animation to 15 per cent live action,” with each single frame of a performance by Bell, Serkis, Daniel Craig, Nick Frost, Simon Pegg or one of the other co-stars, being embellished by as much as five hours of animation per work. That’s not to mention Snowy, the hero’s trusty canine companion, who is an entirely CGI-creation, without any performance-capture references.
It seems that Hollywood changes its mind about mo-cap films whenever it suits them. The people behind Avatar and Rise of the Planet of the Apes tell us that it's not animation but live-action with merely 'digital makeup' applied so the actors involved can be qualified in the 'actors' categories at the Oscars while the same people now behind The Adventures of Tintin tell us that it's 85% animation so that the movie can qualify for the 'Best Animated Feature' category at the Oscars. :roll:
It just depends on how the process is used by the director.
The director of Rise of the Planet of the Apes probably took the performances by the actors and converted those into CG apes, and Spielberg made the performances of the actors the basis for the animators' work, to make it look more stylized (since it's an adaptation of comic books). I don't see the big deal.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The entry forms and supporting materials for a film to be considered in the animated feature film category for the 84th annual Academy Awards is 5 p.m. PT tomorrow, Nov. 1.

The deadline for submitting the required accompanying film prints is Nov. 11.

This year’s race will see some changes in the category, with the Academy having changed its running time requirement from at least 70 minutes to “greater than 40 minutes,” as well as clarifying its stance on motion-capture to state that mo-cap by itself is not an animation technique.

The Academy also altered its rules on the number of nominees to state there will be two or three nominees in years with 8-12 eligible animated features; four nominees in years with 13-15 eligible films; and five nominees with more than 16 eligible films.
Source: http://www.animationmagazine.net/featur ... due-nov-1/
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
toonaspie wrote: Kung Fu Panda 2 - the one I really want to win. Sorry Disney fans. I thought on a story and emotional level, this one was the best of the bunch.
Don't worry. I feel the same way. :wink:
As do I ! I really like gary oldman's Shen character. Never before in animation has a peacock been this well executed! Kudos to the animation staff!
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

According to the official Disney "For Your Consideration" website, these are the songs that plan to submit for consideration in Best Original Song:
Cars 2:
"Collision of Worlds" by Brad Paisley and Robbie Williams

Gnomeo & Juliet:
"Hello Hello" and "Love Builds a Garden" by Elton John and Bernie Taubin

Winnie the Pooh:
"The Backson Song" by Kristen-Anderson Lopez and Robert Lopez
"So Long" by Zooey Deschanel
I hope "Hello Hello" and "So Long" get nominated. Paramount will also probably sbmit Alan Menken and David Zippel's "Star Spangled Man" from Captain America. That would be amazing if that got a nomination, which I think it will.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

estefan wrote:Paramount will also probably submit Alan Menken and David Zippel's "Star Spangled Man" from Captain America.
I hope they will. Captain America is not listed at all on Paramount's 'For Your Consideration' website. :(

Also, I'm incredibly angry at Disney for not promoting "The Ballad of Nessie" in the Best Animated Short category. It's completely absent in their "For Your Consideration" site. Does that mean that they haven't even submited it to the Academy or that they're just not promoting it? Either way, this sucks! :x
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

They might add it in later. Notice how The Muppets isn't on the Disney website, either. They will surely campaign it for at least an Oscar nomination for best song and a couple of Golden Globe nominations.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

Just saw Puss in Boots today. I was pretty impressed.

Looks like we have another forerunner for the Oscar. And since chances are high that there will be 5 nominations this year, here's my new guess list:

Kung Fu Panda 2
Puss in Boots
Rango
Winnie the Pooh
????

I holding off Rio for now. I know it made good money but it wasn't remotely as good as the four films I listed above so chances are likely that another upcoming film might take the spot or otherwise it will be Rio.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

18 Animated Features Submitted for 2011 Oscar Race
http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleas ... 1104a.html
Eighteen features have been submitted for consideration in the Animated Feature Film category for the 84th Academy Awards®.

The 18 submitted features are:
• The Adventures of Tintin

• Alois Nebel

• Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked

• Arthur Christmas

• Cars 2

• A Cat in Paris

• Chico & Rita

• Gnomeo & Juliet

• Happy Feet Two

• Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil

• Kung Fu Panda 2

• Mars Needs Moms

• Puss in Boots

• Rango

• Rio

• The Smurfs

• Winnie the Pooh

• Wrinkles

Several of the films listed have not yet had their required Los Angeles qualifying runs. Submitted features must fulfill the theatrical release requirements and meet all of the category's other qualifying rules before they can advance in the voting process.

The Academy Awards nominations will be announced live on Tuesday, January 24, 2012, at 8:30am Eastern/5:30am Pacific. The Academy Awards will be presented on ABC, Sunday February 26, 2012.
I need to clear out that the above films have only been submitted for consideration; the Academy will rule whether they fulfill all of the necessary requirements to be deemed eligible. Only the eligible ones can be considered for a nomination.

According to the new Academy rules:
An animated feature film is defined as a motion picture with a running time of more than 40 minutes, in which movement and characters’ performances are created using a frame-by-frame technique. Motion capture by itself is not an animation technique. In addition, a significant number of the major characters must be animated, and animation must figure in no less than 75 percent of the picture’s running time.
In order to have five nominees this year, at least 16 out of the 18 submitted films need to be ruled eligible.

If there are four nominees this year, I'd like them to be:

• A Cat in Paris

• Wrinkles

• Winnie the Pooh

• Kung Fu Panda 2
Last edited by Sotiris on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Oscars 2012: Is Pixar's Animation Winning Streak Over?
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/ ... treak.html
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

I'm glad I'm not the only one hoping for "Star Spangled Man" to be nominated.

As for Pixar's winning streak, yes, it's over.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

For Your Consideration Disney ads:

Winnie the Pooh:

Cars 2:

Gnomeo and Juliet:
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Really Disney?

I'm pretty sure the academy would nominate a Zooey Deschanel song over Lady Gaga any day of the week. Stop advertising for Gnomeo and just go all out for Pooh, it's the only good movie they released this year.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Well, the Oscar season is just beginning. I'm sure we will see more For Your Consideration ads in the next couple of months.