Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2011

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2011

Post by Sotiris »

According to the new Academy rules, the nominees may range from 3-5 this year. Which films do you want to see nominated and which ones do you believe will get nominated? (from those that are eligible for this year of course)

The films that I think will get nominated:
-Kung Fu Panda 2
-Rio
-Rango
The films that I would like to see nominated:
-Winnie the Pooh
-A Cat in Paris
-Chico & Rita
-Mia and the Migoo
Last edited by Sotiris on Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Rio is not going to get in with Pooh receiving better reviews and being fresher in people's memory. I would actually say it's the frontrunner right now:

Winnie the Pooh
Arthur Christmas
Rango

AC is a total guess. There's some buzz on that one. I think Kung Fu Panda 2, Cars 2 and Happy Feet 2 will be ignored entirely.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

Well, we still have films like Puss in Boots and Happy Feet 2, among other mainstream films, not to mention any artsy indy films (The Illusionist & The Secret of Kells types) that could jump out of the woodwork to see how they are received both critically and financially.

BUT, of the films SO FAR... My wish list would def include Winnie the Pooh, but I doubt Disney is even going to submit a dime into campaigning for it. They seem as if they couldn't care less about that film's success for some reason. :(
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Post by TheValentineBros »

Kung Fu Panda 2
Rango
Rio

That's all I got.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

^Those three, along with Pooh and a foreign animated movie.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

I want Winnie the Pooh to win. I know you people disagree with me, but think about it. If Winnie the Pooh wins a Oscar for Best Pic...I mean, Best Animated Feature, then Disney will make more Hand Drawn movies. And they might possibly give a Mickey Mouse movie a greenlight. Just think about it. It may be possible. I'm just being supportive for hand drawn. :D
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

DancingCrab wrote: BUT, of the films SO FAR... My wish list would def include Winnie the Pooh, but I doubt Disney is even going to submit a dime into campaigning for it. They seem as if they couldn't care less about that film's success for some reason. :(
Considering Mars Needs Moms, Gnomeo & Juliet and Cars 2 aren't likely to get nominated, Winnie the Pooh is their only chance, so I imagine they will try and push that one.

With Puss in Boots, Happy Feet Two, Arthur Christmas and any smaller animated film (like A Monster in Paris) still yet to be released, I can't offer a full opinion on what should get nominated.

But I think the nominees will be:

Rango
Winnie the Pooh
Rio
Kung Fu Panda 2
And then Arthur Christmas, Puss in Boots, Happy Feet Two or some smaller film fight for this last slot, depending on how well-received they are.

However, if The Adventures of Tintin is considered eligible (as Spielberg does plan on submitting it to Best Animated Feature, despite being motion-capture), watch out! If it gets nominated, it will definitely win.

But, at the moment, I think Rango will take the prize.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
David S.
Special Edition

Post by David S. »

Winnie the Pooh is my choice! :pooh:

That's what I would like to win, as it's been my fave of the year so far... animated or otherwise!

As for what I think will win, I have no idea. The Academy usually doesn't pick my favorite, especially when it's a WDAS film. But here's hoping!

I'd also love to see The Ballad of Nessie win Best Animated Short. This was my fave animated short in years*, dating back to the heyday of Disney shorts in the 30's, 40's, and 50's.

*If you count "featurettes" as shorts, I'd have to say the original Pooh featurettes and Mickey's Christmas Carol are all-time favorites.
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag"- Mary Poppins
"How high does the sycamore grow? If you cut it down, then you'll never know"- Pocahontas
"I do not make films primarily for children. I make them for the child in all of us, whether he be six or sixty. Call the child innocence." - Walt Disney
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

So "Cars 2" doesn't deserve to be on this list?
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

estefan wrote:But I think the nominees will be:

Rango
Winnie the Pooh
Rio
Kung Fu Panda 2
And then Arthur Christmas, Puss in Boots, Happy Feet Two or some smaller film fight for this last slot, depending on how well-received they are.
^ This.

I also agree that Rango will probably win, although knowing the Academy's ineptness, they'll probably give the award to something mcuh less deserving.
Philo & Gunge

Post by Philo & Gunge »

I can't really made predictions for this category yet considering we have many more animated movies this upcoming holiday season.

Of all of this year's animated movies so far, I'd say Winnie the Pooh, Rango and Kung Fu Panda 2 have the most likelihood to get nominated. Rio will unfortunately likely be forgotten by Oscar time. The next wave of animated movies could be good or bad, we'll just have to wait. Though pre-release buzz for Puss in Boots has been really good.
Micheal Eisner was counting his money and he got DIZZNEY!
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

I'm gonna guess Pooh, Rango and A Monster in Paris
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

Probably Kung Fo Panda, Rango and Winnie the Pooh.

Movies like Arthur Christmas (trailer doesn't appeal to me all) and Puss in Boots (trailer was interesting and I giggled at parts, hopefully better than Shrek 3 or 4) don't count yet and won't until release. And does The Adventures of Tintin count as a nominee?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Tangled wrote:And does The Adventures of Tintin count as a nominee?
Tintin is motion-capture, which the Academy recently ruled as not being a form of animation. However, Steven Spielberg still plans on submitting it for Best Animated Feature. So, we'll see it if they rule it eligible. I don't think they will, but we'll see.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

DisneyFan09 wrote:So "Cars 2" doesn't deserve to be on this list?
No, and with the majority of reviews for it being so poor I would be shocked if it made the nomination.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

We're talking about the Oscar for Best Animated Feature.

:headshake:
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

SWillie! wrote:
We're talking about the Oscar for Best Animated Feature.

Usually there are so few animated features made that they don't have a choice. Or do you think that Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, Shark Tale, Shrek 2, Monster House and Bolt deserved to be nominated?
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:
No, and with the majority of reviews for it being so poor I would be shocked if it made the nomination.
Have you actually seen this movie or are you just assuming that its bad?
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

KubrickFan wrote:
SWillie! wrote: We're talking about the Oscar for Best Animated Feature.

Usually there are so few animated features made that they don't have a choice. Or do you think that Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, Shark Tale, Shrek 2, Monster House and Bolt deserved to be nominated?
Or they could just say, "To heck with it! It's Pixar!"

They seem to love nominating at least one Dreamworks movie and one Pixar movie. They also throw a Disney movie in the mix usually (not last year, because the Illusionist kicked out Tangled : /).

And I have seen Cars 2 and would admit it's better than the first Cars IMO.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

DisneyFan09 wrote:Have you actually seen this movie or are you just assuming that its bad?
I saw it opening day and my comments for it are in the Cars 2 thread. It's a movie far too weak to be listed among the "best" for the year of 2011, especially if only 3 nominees can be picked.