Yellow Submarine (ImageMovers)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Yellow Submarine (ImageMovers)

Post by Neal »

ImageMovers Digital, Disney's lesser-discussed studio division is re-making "The Yellow Submarine" in 3D CGI.

I've never seen the original so I could care less, but already there's major backlash against this.

http://weblogs.variety.com/bfdealmemo/2 ... arine.html
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Rarely ever do I think a remake is completely and totally pointless / unwarranted, but this is one of those times. Seriously, Robert, you used to have originality. Go find it somewhere before you remake "Back to the Future".
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Yeeesh... :shock: Next they'll be doing a CGI remake of "The Wizard of Oz". Scraping the barrel for ideas. :roll:
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Cordy_Biddle - may I direct you to my blog where I have posted about the CGI re-make of "The Wizard of Oz":

http://alwaysanimated.blogspot.com/2008 ... -road.html
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Seriously?.... I was JOKING! What some people will do for a quick buck, I tell you...

My DVD Collection :
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

I know, that's why I was so bemused to be able to respond.
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Has there been talk of a possible CGI version of "Shawshank Redemption" by any chance?...if not, I may be sitting on a million dollar idea... :P

My DVD Collection :
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Disney's "The Yellow Submarine"

Post by Escapay »

Neal wrote:ImageMovers Digital, Disney's lesser-discussed studio division is re-making "The Yellow Submarine" in 3D CGI.
Kill me. Kill me now.
Neal wrote:I've never seen the original so I could care less
:jawdrop:

I'm not surprised you haven't seen it yet. It's been out of print for years. The DVD is quite hard to find now, so if you do, grab it, no matter the price tag.
Neal wrote:but already there's major backlash against this.
Naturally. This is The Beatles. They're more popular than Jesus. ;)

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

SpringHeelJack wrote:Rarely ever do I think a remake is completely and totally pointless / unwarranted
I'm exactly the opposite.

It really is indicative of the fact that most companies and studios aren't pushing writing and art and films with original ideas. They want copies. They want quick money. And product that's expensive on the outside, cheap on the inside.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

I know that we should all be open-minded and not bash remakes and sequels, but...

This is pretty sacrilegious. The fact that two of the Beatles are dead and the other two are in their sixties makes me the most concerned, as it would be pretty disrespectful to have people playing the Beatles as themselves. Plus, as good as Yellow Submarine is, it's really a product of its time. It's like trying to make a morale-boosting propaganda film suited for audiences during the second world war today; it wouldn't really work. Oh well, hopefully it'll get stuck in development hell... :p
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I am beyond against this. I love you, Disney, but I love the Beatles, too, and this is a NO-NO. If you want, get the rights to release the film on DVD or something. Don't be a cash-cow more than you are. :x
JEANYLASER
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JEANYLASER »

I love disney and the beatles too! The yellow submarine isn't be a great movie! But! Let's try!
JEANY SANCHEZ
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

The original movie is fine as it is, I think it's pointless to make a 3D CGI version, a waste of money.

If on the other hand, Disney would show up with an idea for incorporating Beatles songs in an all new Disney animated feature (traditional :D ) with a original story (like they did with the songs of Elvis Presley in Lilo and Stich) I would be very interested indeed.

Probably it would be difficult to get the rights to use original recordings...

Why else can I not download a single original Beatles-song from Itunes? The only things you can get are covers by other artists.

See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Wonderlicious wrote: as it would be pretty disrespectful to have people playing the Beatles as themselves.
You do know they didn't do the voices for their animated characters right? They themselves only appeared for a cameo at the end. I too have mixed opinions about a re-make though.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

BelleGirl wrote: Why else can I not download a single original Beatles-song from Itunes? The only things you can get are covers by other artists.
In a way I'm kinda glad that the Beatles' music isn't getting involved in the bastardized digital music world. (I won't even begin to say how much I detest music downloads (legal or not)).
BelleGirl wrote: If on the other hand, Disney would show up with an idea for incorporating Beatles songs in an all new Disney animated feature (traditional :D ) with a original story (like they did with the songs of Elvis Presley in Lilo and Stich) I would be very interested indeed.
That I would like. :)
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

What we need is a re-release of the original film and a box set of the old Saturday morning cartoons.

Re-doing the film in CG seems like a horrible idea to me. The original is so stylized, flat in design, and such a product of its time. I can't imagine it working as CG unless it's done in a completely new, experimental way.
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

The_Iceflash wrote:
BelleGirl wrote: Why else can I not download a single original Beatles-song from Itunes? The only things you can get are covers by other artists.
In a way I'm kinda glad that the Beatles' music isn't getting involved in the bastardized digital music world. (I won't even begin to say how much I detest music downloads (legal or not)).
I would like you to give it a try, for I would like to know what's so detestable about downloading music from the internet LEGALLY (as I do). :roll:

See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

The_Iceflash wrote:
Wonderlicious wrote: as it would be pretty disrespectful to have people playing the Beatles as themselves.
You do know they didn't do the voices for their animated characters right? They themselves only appeared for a cameo at the end. I too have mixed opinions about a re-make though.
Oops, my bad. :p Even so, they did appear as themselves in the film for a little bit, and I stand firmly by my belief that a remake wouldn't work due to the fact that it would have little significance today. :D
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

BelleGirl wrote:Why else can I not download a single original Beatles-song from Itunes? The only things you can get are covers by other artists.
Because Itunes sucks.
The_Iceflash wrote:In a way I'm kinda glad that the Beatles' music isn't getting involved in the bastardized digital music world. (I won't even begin to say how much I detest music downloads (legal or not)).
You should sent Rudy Matt a PM.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Wonderlicious wrote:
The_Iceflash wrote: You do know they didn't do the voices for their animated characters right? They themselves only appeared for a cameo at the end. I too have mixed opinions about a re-make though.
Oops, my bad. :p Even so, they did appear as themselves in the film for a little bit, and I stand firmly by my belief that a remake wouldn't work due to the fact that it would have little significance today. :D
From what I recall, each band member disliked the voice chosen for their counterpart, but approved in the end because the other members felt it was close enough. :lol:

And I'll agree there would be no significance or even relevance to a remake like this.